Got New Update This Morning 05.11.15

Search This thread

amoamare

Jul 17, 2006
Can anyone who updated to OE2 try using Odin3 to go back to OCF? As you know, OCF has successful Root for it that doesn't trip the Knox counter.

If OE2 doesn't get Knox-free Root later, I want to know if downgrading to OCF via Odin is an option.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You can downgrade i've done it multiple times now, also note that while it doesnt trip knox you cant do anything other then use root, dont install custom recovery or software or else it will trip knox.

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
If you're currently rooted and system status says Custom, you cant update via phone. Gotta wait for an OE2 tar file.

Or, you have to unroot and perform factory reset and go back to stock OCF then hit the Update button.

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
I can not confirm it will work. This is not offical zip. Its a custom rom that you install via twrp.

I see. I thought it was just the update zipped up.

I sent idler the OE2 boot.img and buildprop files so I should hear back soon about whether the root exploit is still possible.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

syed239

Apr 20, 2010
It also fixes the night clock issue where the screen wouldn't be completely off.
Now we just need that update from Sprint to fix the LTE connections

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

ram9200

Mar 6, 2010
OE2 has been added to the waitlist! Idler said the kernel vulnerability hasn't been patched yet in OE2. ?

? Lol i don't know what language your speaking, technically speaking all kernels have a vulnerability...

---------- Post added at 05:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 AM ----------

? Lol i don't know what language your speaking, technically speaking all kernels have a vulnerability...
When 5.1.1 comes out root will be a serious problem, as there still yet to find a way to do so

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA

---------- Post added at 05:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 AM ----------

When 5.1.1 comes out root will be a serious problem, as there still yet to find a way to do so

Pingpong root enables knox-safe root exploiting a Linux kernel vulnerability that has been patched already. This is how S6 users on Verizon & AT&T are getting root at the moment. Future android updates will most likely have patched the vulnerability.

Since the kernel version for OE2 is dated 5-5-15, I was afraid the vulnerability was already patched. But according to idler (the author of the Pingpong root), OE2 doesn't have the kernel fix & it might be possible to root OE2 without tripping Knox.

I'm trying to root without tripping Knox so I can try Samsung Pay later when it comes out.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

He has updated the device support list & I'll try I later on OE2.

Alpine-

Aug 7, 2007
OE2 has been added to the waitlist! Idler said the kernel vulnerability hasn't been patched yet in OE2. ��

That's because its still Android 5.0.2. I just updated to it. The Android exploit/bug utilized in PingPong is public and will be patched in a later build of Android. Android 5.1.1 was already basically final and I don't think enough time went by for such a recent exploit (May 4 public date apparently) to have been fixed before code went to vendors. Unless Android Dev knew about it internally before then. But I think the point is that PingPong will get patched by a later Android OS build at some point, how long, we dont know.

In addition, something most people dont seem to understand about PingPong is you cant ****ing install a custom recovery or any kind or you trip Knox anyway (rendering the point of using PingPong over CF-AutoRoot pointless). So good luck flashing any custom rom or anything with PingPong until some OTHER solution is discovered to allow that. Flashfire method still requires a custom recovery. Only Good PingPong does now is let you run Titanium and restore backups and other root privilege stuff in apps. The trade off is no OTA and this phone is buggy, so I have waited.

Last edited:

townsenk

Oct 23, 2010
Only Good PingPong does now is let you run Titanium and restore backups and other root privilege stuff in apps. The trade off is no OTA and this phone is buggy, so I have waited.

I flashed 5.02 to take the update and I haven't re-rooted after the update. I didn't experience any bugginess and I enjoyed having Titanium back. Having to completely reconfigure the phone between flashes is a total pain. Samsung switch failed and didn't restore a lot of my apps and none of the app settings. I would be a different story if we had a one click app that would create an Odin compatible backup image. The benefits do not outweigh the inconvenience at this point.

Reactions: Alpine-

lbxmobbin_1

Jul 11, 2010
lawndale
I flashed 5.02 to take the update and I haven't re-rooted after the update. I didn't experience any bugginess and I enjoyed having Titanium back. Having to completely reconfigure the phone between flashes is a total pain. Samsung switch failed and didn't restore a lot of my apps and none of the app settings. I would be a different story if we had a one click app that would create an Odin compatible backup image. The benefits do not outweigh the inconvenience at this point.

Do you happened to have the new update still?

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
That's because its still Android 5.0.2. I just updated to it. The Android exploit/bug utilized in PingPong is public and will be patched in a later build of Android. Android 5.1.1 was already basically final and I don't think enough time went by for such a recent exploit (May 4 public date apparently) to have been fixed before code went to vendors. Unless Android Dev knew about it internally before then. But I think the point is that PingPong will get patched by a later Android OS build at some point, how long, we dont know.

In addition, something most people dont seem to understand about PingPong is you cant ****ing install a custom recovery or any kind or you trip Knox anyway (rendering the point of using PingPong over CF-AutoRoot pointless). So good luck flashing any custom rom or anything with PingPong until some OTHER solution is discovered to allow that. Flashfire method still requires a custom recovery. Only Good PingPong does now is let you run Titanium and restore backups and other root privilege stuff in apps. The trade off is no OTA and this phone is buggy, so I have waited.

Yea, some noobs tripped Knox by flashing a custom recovery with Flashify, lol~

As for me, root is all i need. I like my roms stock & i dont make nandroids anymore since the S2.

My Nexus 5 satisfies all of my custom mod needs.

Top Liked Posts