Question Got some permanent stains on the Display

Search This thread

xflowy

Jun 4, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hey everbody,
I got some stains on the display that cannot be removed any more. If you move over them with the finger tip, you can feel a unevenness down. I have no idea where they could have been from.

What do u guys think. Im usually really careful with my smartphone.

Attachments

• stains pixel.jpg
    stains pixel.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 782
  • Wow
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

xflowy

Jun 4, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I am by no means an expert first and foremost.

But when I have something I can't get off my glasses with regular cleaning, I will use some toothpaste and a soft microfiber cloth and that has just the right abrasiveness to get whatever is on my glasses off them. Granted there's more cleaning involved but it works for me
Thanks mate. But im pretty sure these are tiny "holes" in the top layer of the display.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
What do u guys think. Im usually really careful with my smartphone.
I think that you have not been careful enough and somehow damaged your display. It's possible that you only damaged the oleophobic coating, and not the underlying glass (should be easy to tell by looking at the display when it's ON - do the pixels underneath the damage still work?).

There is no other explanation to this, at least not from the looks of it (since you talk about "a[sic] unevenness down" - implying not superficial stains, but serious damage). There are extremely rare instances where displays damage themselves ("spontaneous shatter") but that is another matter entirely and has nothing to do with your - apparent - circular damages (since those lead to the shatter of the entire tempered glass). I'd wager either fire or acid or something else destructive happened here, but only you can tell.

Fire damage leaves a distinctive mark

Gorilla Glas Victus has a 6-7 on Mohs scale of hardness, you can pick whatever might have been your problem:

The%2BMohs%2BScale%2Bof%2BMineral%2BHardness.jpg

Last edited:

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
HTC Desire
Sony Xperia Z5
I have the same issue, appeared two days ago. I have one small one that looks the same as your small ones, On mine the mark is under the top glass, it almost looks like dust under an applied screen protector. If I look at it at 180 deg for the mark I can't see it at all, not until i move about 5 deg off 180, then at about a 45 deg angle it dissapears again.

To me that very big one looks like damage to the top surface, then the others look like they are below the glass

Last edited:

bolo808

Sep 5, 2013
did you possibly get alcohol on the screen that dried up? I have something similar that happened to my screen and the only thing I can remember that possibly got on my screen was alcohol. I woke up the next day and noticed the spots on my phone but only when the screen is off

randylahey786

Oct 22, 2021
did you possibly get alcohol on the screen that dried up? I have something similar that happened to my screen and the only thing I can remember that possibly got on my screen was alcohol. I woke up the next day and noticed the spots on my phone but only when the screen is off
Alcohol is bad for the phone's display because it'll heat up the display and the glue inside will lose its stickiness. This causes the display to fall out or some damages like this cause the display to burn inside and show like this!

s3axel

Mar 4, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
@randylahey786 Why in all heavens should alcohol heat up the display unless you burn it on the display/phone ? ;)..... and just for the record: i have been using isopropanol since ages to clean glasses, binoculars and, yes, also smartphone displays. BTW the nice tabs provided with many display protectors for cleaning the display are just alcohol swabs as well.....

xflowy

Jun 4, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I have the same issue, appeared two days ago. I have one small one that looks the same as your small ones, On mine the mark is under the top glass, it almost looks like dust under an applied screen protector. If I look at it at 180 deg for the mark I can't see it at all, not until i move about 5 deg off 180, then at about a 45 deg angle it dissapears again.

To me that very big one looks like damage to the top surface, then the others look like they are below the glass
can u upload a photo of yours?

Since i dont trink alcohol thats pretty unlikely, but yea, sth must have spilled over there but i have no idea what tbh.

randylahey786

Oct 22, 2021
@randylahey786 Why in all heavens should alcohol heat up the display unless you burn it on the display/phone ? ;)..... and just for the record: i have been using isopropanol since ages to clean glasses, binoculars and, yes, also smartphone displays. BTW the nice tabs provided with many display protectors for cleaning the display are just alcohol swabs as well.....
I have seen issues with some people who have used sanitizer to clean the display and the display came out! Sanitizer contains alcohol in it, also isopropanol comes as a cleaning liquid especially for phones so they would've tested it but sanitizer or alcohol drinks are worst!

s3axel

Mar 4, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I have seen issues with some people who have used sanitizer to clean the display and the display came out! Sanitizer contains alcohol in it, also isopropanol comes as a cleaning liquid especially for phones so they would've tested it but sanitizer or alcohol drinks are worst!
I agree, as you never know what stuff is included in those sanitizers and of course alcoholic drinks may include sugar and other ingredients that could leave residue on the screen after drying out.

I always get pure isopropanol for cleaning purposes, this way I know it's safe to use ;)

DanielF50

Jul 22, 2010
Hampshire, England
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Quite a few people on r/GooglePixel have had the same issue upon release - it's been speculated that it's something to do with the oleophobic coating not adhering to the glass & is a manufacturing fault.

I would contact Google and see if they will replace the device for you as it will probably get worse over time.

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
it looks like your oleophobic coating has been removed. Can you post some different photos? Do you have another smartphone you can add to the photo? Your display looks very dull (but it could be the photo).

I recommend the toothpaste and micro fiber trick the other comment suggested. then grab some oleophobic spray and coat your screen again. It takes 2 or 3 coatings to get it even but it works well. Unfortunately coating isn't covered in Google's Official Warranty (it says its not on their website). There's a good oleophobic brand that many people use and they swear by it but I forget the name.

But I would get the display even and unform first before doing anything - maybe even using a polisher tool with a really soft brush. Someone did this on reddit on their 6 Pro a few months ago to remove scratches and it worked really well.

I would also try to get as many reddit and xda posts as you can and document them, then contact Google and see what they can do. Also maybe try going to your nearest UbreakIfixit - see what they say? They see hundreds of different phones a day. But there seems to be over 15 posts on reddit that shows the same type of "Spotting" or "blotches" that appear on the 6 / 6 Pro. Not sure what exactly is going on there but some have gotten their devices replaced if I remember correctly (but others were told to kick rocks by google support, so make sure you prepare yourself before calling).

Last edited:
Reactions: xflowy

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Neither sanitizer nor alcohol belong on a display. If people damage their phones on purpose or through the sheer act of incompetence, Google is hardly at fault... a phones display should only be cleaned with a fine microfiber cloth - and if the display is too dirty, only a special display cleaner should be used. Even that however should never be DIRECTLY applied to the display, but only used on a microfiber cloth again, which is then used in a slightly wet state to clean the display.

Since I know people, and people do stuff like that (smashing glasses cleaning cloth drenched in alcohol, sanitizer or something like that onto their phones), it's hard to judge/evaluate these threads here. Often it just seems like something that can easily be caused by a user, and is probably not a hardware issue.

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
what u mean? the stains are not removable. the coating seems to be gone at this area. i didnt try the suggestion yet to completely redo the coating :)
was wondering if you tried google support at all, just to see what they would say. there's other instances of "blotching" on reddit on the Google Pixel forum. Do you know how it might have happened now that its been a few more days>?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Neither sanitizer nor alcohol belong on a display. If people damage their phones on purpose or through the sheer act of incompetence, Google is hardly at fault... a phones display should only be cleaned with a fine microfiber cloth - and if the display is too dirty, only a special display cleaner should be used. Even that however should never be DIRECTLY applied to the display, but only used on a microfiber cloth again, which is then used in a slightly wet state to clean the display.

Since I know people, and people do stuff like that (smashing glasses cleaning cloth drenched in alcohol, sanitizer or something like that onto their phones), it's hard to judge/evaluate these threads here. Often it just seems like something that can easily be caused by a user, and is probably not a hardware issue.
    Alcohol is bad for the phone's display because it'll heat up the display and the glue inside will lose its stickiness. This causes the display to fall out or some damages like this cause the display to burn inside and show like this!
    I agree, as you never know what stuff is included in those sanitizers and of course alcoholic drinks may include sugar and other ingredients that could leave residue on the screen after drying out.

I always get pure isopropanol for cleaning purposes, this way I know it's safe to use ;)