• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

"Goto" ROM in 2021 without sluggishness

Search This thread

my03

Apr 20, 2021
Hi all,

as the title says, what would be the snappiest rom to use today (not necessarily the bleeding edge Android) that is still quite speedy to use on this unit, while not being ancient at the same time?

Difficult question, i know. I resurrected my own unit yesterday (new screen assembly, new battery, new USB pcb. It basically turned out as a brand new device :)) and i rooted it, increased the partition size and installed LineageOS 17 on it (tried 18 but had issues).

But would i be better off using Lineage/Android 9 or 8 here? From a snappy-ui perspective, but without going all old-school...?

ivosousaa

Oct 19, 2021
Hello,

I would also love to know this, I found mine after a couple of years, still working great!! And I would like to maybe update the system as it's still using the stock Android 6. Would it be beneficial to update it? And if so, to which version would you recommend?

Cheers.

my03

Apr 20, 2021
While awaiting some nice pointers, i installed LineageOS17.1 + TWRP on mine, and also installed the ElementalX kernel (in order to bump up the cpu speed a notch + undervolt a bit). It surely did help quite much to reduce the sluggishness that it had when i used L.OS18, but its still not 100% perfect. Perhaps Android 8 or even 7 would be the perfect balance??

ratykat

Feb 8, 2008
I'm also in the same position - I've been using Timur's as my Nexus is an indash install but it's so painfully slow if you try and do anything beyond play a song - Maps is near impossible.

Is LineageOS17 stable and quick enough for light usage these days?

my03

Apr 20, 2021
Idk man. I finally went all the way down to Nougat (LineageOs14.1) to get it quite smooth (with ElementalX). And it is very fluent mostly, BUT...

If i leave the tablet for a whole day, i have severe issues getting the touch to recognize my fingers to start with (i have to press quite hard for it to register). As the CPU starts heating up (from using it), that sensation vanishes gradually and after a while (10 minutes or so, when i can feel the heat from the CPU from the back-cover) it actually is quite fluent. I have no clue why this is, i just know thats how it is.

I overlocked it to 1.7GHZ and undervolted it one step in elemental.

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'll be following this one with interest. Didn't have high hopes for anything modern, but Lineage sounds nice. Nine year old hardware inside, that's ancient, isn't it. Mine's still all original inside and out, including OS, but I found it in a drawer the other day and it was such a perfect formfactor, size and weight perfect for holding in one hand for reading, etc.