• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[GPL][ROM] 2010-09-04 FroydVillain 1.5.0 "So fast it waits for YOU to boot."

Search This thread

Hacre

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 29, 2010
Northwich

FroydVillain 1.5.0

The Hero is Alive and Kicking.

Now that HTC let it die and laid it to rest, it's gonna to go to the place that's best, now they've laid it down to die, it's moving on up to Team Villain, make it fly. (Ugh that was terrible. Leaving it in anyway.)

So here we are. The end. Almost. The -real- end is yet to come in the shape of FroydVillain 2.0. However given the release cycles you've become accustomed to, this may as well be the end.

FroydVillain 1.5. What a journey it's been. We've been through some hell haven't we? GPS not working, random reboots, etc. Epic battles with dalvik and battery life. We've had everything.

Or have we?

Well 1.5 says no.

In 1.4.x dalvik had ~30 arm optimisations. 1.5 has over 200. BOY can you tell.

Yep. While dalvik was still on the ropes wondering wtf just happened I slammed it with several body blows before delivering the final uppercut of YOU WILL PLAY NICE ON THE HERO. For an encore I moved on to the OpenGL libraries that were on the sidelines pointing and laughing at dalvik and gave them a good one-two of optimisation for good measure. They suddenly didn't see the funny side of dalvik getting its ass kicked.

Man these are weak release notes. This is what happens when you lot demand great posts every release and I'm releasing roughly once a week. Those guys that do it week in week out for TV must be on some sort of drug. I want some of it.

Oh that reminds me. I've themed FroydVillain 1.5. If you're the type that has a hard on for that ****ing ghastly vanilla AOSP interface then you're in for a disappointment. I might consider pushing the ugly into the OTA app as a theme at some point but that's not going to be tonight. Something was really bugging me about the finished FroydVillain article and it struck me; it's ****ing ugly.

Here is the link to the Vanilla theme

I consider the AOSP interface to be so ugly it looks like it was set on fire and put out with a baseball bat covered in pig ****. It's terrible. Using it, my good eye often threatens to go the way of my left eye and just **** off on a long vacation. God I hope Google sort this **** out for Android 3.0 I really do. As it stands right now, the vanilla interface is about as attractive as the fat spotty ***** with a purse full of alcohol money at the school disco, ready to get anything with a penis drunk as hell just to get lucky.

Android, there isn't enough money in the world, believe me.

Changes? YOU WANT CHANGES? Well here's the changes.

• GPS. DOES. WORK. THIS. TIME.

It was supposed to work last time, and the time before that. Probably the time before that too. Thankfully Cyanogen himself realised the missing piece to the puzzle and fixed the entire APNs list. Hats off to him, I had a feeling the problem was there and I certainly couldn't be arsed with it. Do you lot have -any- idea how many telco APNs there are? A LOT that's how many. There's more APNs in Android than George Dubya Bush has stupid. That's a -lot-.

So yeah. Just in case you were somehow missed, if you have GPS trouble, edit your APN and set APN type to default,supl. That'll give GPS the kick in the nuts it needs. Or stop living in whatever backward ass country you're living in and go somewhere that has real mobile/data.

Speaking of retards (I know we weren't) it's been really bugging me lately how easy it is for ROM "developers" to pull wool over people's eyes. You lot are a trusting bunch, which is endearing but unfortunately that seems to be abused.

FOR EXAMPLE. A "developer" who shall remain unamed (mostly due to forum rules) recently said they don't like my implementation of the interactive governor due to the number of kernels. THEY THEN went on to say that such "strange code" can fry your hardware which is why he won't entertain it.

Ok apart from the mindnumbing dumb that statement contains, that's not particularly funny, right? Well it gets funnier when this same "I won't put out any code that could break your hardware" champion goes ahead and releases a kernel for the Hero that can clock up to 922MHz. Bahahaha. No, I'm serious.

Phones are the same as anything else folks. Always take anything you read with a pinch of salt, even from me. Just because some ROM "developers" have an IQ smaller than the number of hydrogen atoms in a water molecule doesn't mean you have to.

Woops, I'm rambling, on to the next change.

• Wifi no longer gets its **** pushed in trying to do complicated things like "browse the internet".

Well we've fixed that too. FroydVillain 1.5 has support for a proxy over wifi only this time it doesn't get all confused over the difficulty of telling the difference between a 3g proxy and a wifi proxy. Happy days.

• Support for Conservative governor when screen off.

CPUSpeed now lets you set a different governor when the screen is off. I highly recommend using interactive (or on demand if on the 576MHz kernel) with screen on, and Conservative with screen off. Great for battery life.

• Carrier name now shows on the lockscreen and notification bar.

A small fix but as always it seems to be the small things that generate the most noise. That's when you can tell you have a good ROM, people complain about the most inane s**t on the planet, like complaining they can't see their carrier name on almost every screen they need to navigate. You know, in case they forget who it is they pay their money to. :rolleyes:

• Dalvik.

I know I covered it earlier but this is so awesome it deserves covering again. Dalvik and JIT now function with -full- cpu assembler optimisations. While this doesn't translate hugely over into benchmarks, it does make a massive difference to the overall user experience. Things load faster, there's a more "snappy" feel, dalvik takes up less memory, etc etc. It's both fantastic and disgusting. Fantastic that we can enjoy it, disgusting that both Google and HTC left us with some half arsed build of Android and left it at that. Bastards. Ninpo 2, Dalvik 0.

• The kernel.

While technically separate, I need to cover changes in the kernel. Battery life -will- be ever so slightly worse than in 1.4, however more stability comes as a result. I also remembered that HTC half arsed bringing 2.6.29 to its most up to date version, so that's taken care of. I've also merged some 2.6.3x scheduling fixes in as well because I was bored between awesome moments, so I added a whole other awesome moment just for good measure.

• Lights

At long last. They work properly. Well done Revoked.

Alright, I've flogged this long enough. Here's your download links.

FroydVillain 1.5.0

Kernels:

576MHz with boot animation.
576MHz without boot animation.
614MHz with boot animation.
614MHz without boot animation.
652MHz with boot animation.
652MHz without boot animation.
691MHz with boot animation.
691MHz without boot animation.
729MHz with boot animation.
729MHz without boot animation.
748MHz with boot animation.
748MHz without boot animation.
768MHz with boot animation.
768MHz without boot animation.

WITHOUT BOOT ANIMATION MEANS YOU WILL GET NO BOOT ANIMATION. Stating the obvious right? You'd think so, but no, a fair few people who would enter a battle of wits totally unarmed didn't realise they wouldn't get a boot animation with a no boot animation kernel. The s**t I put up with for you lot, seriously.

Failing any major catastrophes requiring some OTA action, this is your lot for a while. It's been great working on FroydVillain and having you all report back on the various and drastic changes I've made. However I need a break from this more than Tom Cruise needs stilts. Besides this ROM should be stable for you all leaving me time to work on other projects, including FroydVillain 2.0, the 2.6.34 kernel and of course developing for the Nexus.

THIS SHOULD WORK WITHOUT A WIPE. However, everyone's phone/setup is different, so if you run into problems, WIPE FIRST and if overclocking TRY A SLOWER KERNEL.

Thank you all for keeping me interested and re-igniting my development hunger. Rest assured I am not done, not by a long shot, but you need a stable ROM to play with so I can work on even better **** for you in the background.

Thanks to:

Everyone remotely involved.

Special thanks to:

My IRC minions for testing the various pre releases and telling me about my f**k ups despite fear of death and banning.
CyanogenMod project. They still taken the sting out of managing an AOSP tree.
Kernelzilla. You're just far too clever dude, thanks for everything.
Revoked for being my C/java *****.
All the people I gave special thanks to before.

Ninpo, giving you a last f*** you all for a while. F*** you all. :) <3

EDIT: SCREENSHOTS!
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: treesurf

Marcehh

Dec 22, 2009
Wow, you work fast. Thanks a lot, looking forward to flashing.

Q: How do you remove system apps?

On 4.x I was trying to update my Launcher pro to LP Plus and I couldn't do it??

Thanks again :)

Hacre

May 29, 2010
Northwich
Wow, you work fast. Thanks a lot, looking forward to flashing.

Q: How do you remove system apps?

On 4.x I was trying to update my Launcher pro to LP Plus and I couldn't do it??

Thanks again :)

For LauncherPro just input your key. The option to do so should be in menu -> preferences, or you should find it when you try to add a widget.

However to remove apps in /system, do:

adb remount
adb shell rm -f /system/app/APKNAME.apk

Remember to replace APKNAME with the actual file name. File names are case sensitive.

adb is part of the Android SDK pack.

Last edited:

enyeng

May 25, 2010
The deal breaker for me with 1.4.x was GPS. Flashed 1.5, first thing to do was firing up GPS status... and wohooo... locked within seconds.

Kudos VillainTeam! :)

Hacre

May 29, 2010
Northwich
The deal breaker for me with 1.4.x was GPS. Flashed 1.5, first thing to do was firing up GPS status... and wohooo... locked within seconds.

Kudos VillainTeam! :)

Yeah there were some APNs not configured correctly in the old apns-conf.xml which screwed those affected when it came to GPS. Cyanogen has provided a better/cleaner obviously 110% more fixed than it's ever been before APN list which is included in FV1.5.

zeldabb

Mar 9, 2010
downloading now.

I love reading your release notes ;)
HUGE thanks for everything TeamVillain, you guys ROCK!

BTW, the galaxy theme is the default theme in the ROM? love it.

regisprigent

Jul 22, 2009
Thanks a lot ! Just the first time, all widget don't work, so easy, just remove them from the screen, and put them back and everything work.
Thanks a lot for this new update.

enyeng

May 25, 2010
Yeah there were some APNs not configured correctly in the old apns-conf.xml which screwed those affected when it came to GPS. Cyanogen has provided a better/cleaner obviously 110% more fixed than it's ever been before APN list which is included in FV1.5.

Thanks for the info.

It makes me wondering, if GPS fix depends on the APN configuration, would APN toggle widgets which work by modifying the APN name entry will have decremental effect in achieving GPS fix?

* also in the (very unlikely :D) event that I ended up in someplace remote without cell signal, how is my chance to get a GPS fix? *

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

FroydVillain 1.5.0

The Hero is Alive and Kicking.

Now that HTC let it die and laid it to rest, it's gonna to go to the place that's best, now they've laid it down to die, it's moving on up to Team Villain, make it fly. (Ugh that was terrible. Leaving it in anyway.)

So here we are. The end. Almost. The -real- end is yet to come in the shape of FroydVillain 2.0. However given the release cycles you've become accustomed to, this may as well be the end.

FroydVillain 1.5. What a journey it's been. We've been through some hell haven't we? GPS not working, random reboots, etc. Epic battles with dalvik and battery life. We've had everything.

Or have we?

Well 1.5 says no.

In 1.4.x dalvik had ~30 arm optimisations. 1.5 has over 200. BOY can you tell.

Yep. While dalvik was still on the ropes wondering wtf just happened I slammed it with several body blows before delivering the final uppercut of YOU WILL PLAY NICE ON THE HERO. For an encore I moved on to the OpenGL libraries that were on the sidelines pointing and laughing at dalvik and gave them a good one-two of optimisation for good measure. They suddenly didn't see the funny side of dalvik getting its ass kicked.

Man these are weak release notes. This is what happens when you lot demand great posts every release and I'm releasing roughly once a week. Those guys that do it week in week out for TV must be on some sort of drug. I want some of it.

Oh that reminds me. I've themed FroydVillain 1.5. If you're the type that has a hard on for that ****ing ghastly vanilla AOSP interface then you're in for a disappointment. I might consider pushing the ugly into the OTA app as a theme at some point but that's not going to be tonight. Something was really bugging me about the finished FroydVillain article and it struck me; it's ****ing ugly.

Here is the link to the Vanilla theme

I consider the AOSP interface to be so ugly it looks like it was set on fire and put out with a baseball bat covered in pig ****. It's terrible. Using it, my good eye often threatens to go the way of my left eye and just **** off on a long vacation. God I hope Google sort this **** out for Android 3.0 I really do. As it stands right now, the vanilla interface is about as attractive as the fat spotty ***** with a purse full of alcohol money at the school disco, ready to get anything with a penis drunk as hell just to get lucky.

Android, there isn't enough money in the world, believe me.

Changes? YOU WANT CHANGES? Well here's the changes.

• GPS. DOES. WORK. THIS. TIME.

It was supposed to work last time, and the time before that. Probably the time before that too. Thankfully Cyanogen himself realised the missing piece to the puzzle and fixed the entire APNs list. Hats off to him, I had a feeling the problem was there and I certainly couldn't be arsed with it. Do you lot have -any- idea how many telco APNs there are? A LOT that's how many. There's more APNs in Android than George Dubya Bush has stupid. That's a -lot-.

So yeah. Just in case you were somehow missed, if you have GPS trouble, edit your APN and set APN type to default,supl. That'll give GPS the kick in the nuts it needs. Or stop living in whatever backward ass country you're living in and go somewhere that has real mobile/data.

Speaking of retards (I know we weren't) it's been really bugging me lately how easy it is for ROM "developers" to pull wool over people's eyes. You lot are a trusting bunch, which is endearing but unfortunately that seems to be abused.

FOR EXAMPLE. A "developer" who shall remain unamed (mostly due to forum rules) recently said they don't like my implementation of the interactive governor due to the number of kernels. THEY THEN went on to say that such "strange code" can fry your hardware which is why he won't entertain it.

Ok apart from the mindnumbing dumb that statement contains, that's not particularly funny, right? Well it gets funnier when this same "I won't put out any code that could break your hardware" champion goes ahead and releases a kernel for the Hero that can clock up to 922MHz. Bahahaha. No, I'm serious.

Phones are the same as anything else folks. Always take anything you read with a pinch of salt, even from me. Just because some ROM "developers" have an IQ smaller than the number of hydrogen atoms in a water molecule doesn't mean you have to.

Woops, I'm rambling, on to the next change.

• Wifi no longer gets its **** pushed in trying to do complicated things like "browse the internet".

Well we've fixed that too. FroydVillain 1.5 has support for a proxy over wifi only this time it doesn't get all confused over the difficulty of telling the difference between a 3g proxy and a wifi proxy. Happy days.

• Support for Conservative governor when screen off.

CPUSpeed now lets you set a different governor when the screen is off. I highly recommend using interactive (or on demand if on the 576MHz kernel) with screen on, and Conservative with screen off. Great for battery life.

• Carrier name now shows on the lockscreen and notification bar.

A small fix but as always it seems to be the small things that generate the most noise. That's when you can tell you have a good ROM, people complain about the most inane s**t on the planet, like complaining they can't see their carrier name on almost every screen they need to navigate. You know, in case they forget who it is they pay their money to. :rolleyes:

• Dalvik.

I know I covered it earlier but this is so awesome it deserves covering again. Dalvik and JIT now function with -full- cpu assembler optimisations. While this doesn't translate hugely over into benchmarks, it does make a massive difference to the overall user experience. Things load faster, there's a more "snappy" feel, dalvik takes up less memory, etc etc. It's both fantastic and disgusting. Fantastic that we can enjoy it, disgusting that both Google and HTC left us with some half arsed build of Android and left it at that. Bastards. Ninpo 2, Dalvik 0.

• The kernel.

While technically separate, I need to cover changes in the kernel. Battery life -will- be ever so slightly worse than in 1.4, however more stability comes as a result. I also remembered that HTC half arsed bringing 2.6.29 to its most up to date version, so that's taken care of. I've also merged some 2.6.3x scheduling fixes in as well because I was bored between awesome moments, so I added a whole other awesome moment just for good measure.

• Lights

At long last. They work properly. Well done Revoked.

Alright, I've flogged this long enough. Here's your download links.

FroydVillain 1.5.0

Kernels:

576MHz with boot animation.
    576MHz without boot animation.
    614MHz with boot animation.
    614MHz without boot animation.
    652MHz with boot animation.
    652MHz without boot animation.
    691MHz with boot animation.
    691MHz without boot animation.
    729MHz with boot animation.
    729MHz without boot animation.
    748MHz with boot animation.
    748MHz without boot animation.
    768MHz with boot animation.
    768MHz without boot animation.

WITHOUT BOOT ANIMATION MEANS YOU WILL GET NO BOOT ANIMATION. Stating the obvious right? You'd think so, but no, a fair few people who would enter a battle of wits totally unarmed didn't realise they wouldn't get a boot animation with a no boot animation kernel. The s**t I put up with for you lot, seriously.

Failing any major catastrophes requiring some OTA action, this is your lot for a while. It's been great working on FroydVillain and having you all report back on the various and drastic changes I've made. However I need a break from this more than Tom Cruise needs stilts. Besides this ROM should be stable for you all leaving me time to work on other projects, including FroydVillain 2.0, the 2.6.34 kernel and of course developing for the Nexus.

THIS SHOULD WORK WITHOUT A WIPE. However, everyone's phone/setup is different, so if you run into problems, WIPE FIRST and if overclocking TRY A SLOWER KERNEL.

Thank you all for keeping me interested and re-igniting my development hunger. Rest assured I am not done, not by a long shot, but you need a stable ROM to play with so I can work on even better **** for you in the background.

Thanks to:

Everyone remotely involved.

Special thanks to:

My IRC minions for testing the various pre releases and telling me about my f**k ups despite fear of death and banning.
    CyanogenMod project. They still taken the sting out of managing an AOSP tree.
    Kernelzilla. You're just far too clever dude, thanks for everything.
    Revoked for being my C/java *****.
    All the people I gave special thanks to before.

Ninpo, giving you a last f*** you all for a while. F*** you all. :) <3

EDIT: SCREENSHOTS!
    2.png
    3.png
    4.png
    5.png
    it must definitely be a 'google' problem...

i reinstalled the Chrome2phone extension on my pc and registered the app on my phone again but when i send a link to my phone nothing happens..

and i'm pretty sure it worked before on Froydvillain

*removing + installing the apk again does not solve the problem...