• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Gps BUG: what it is + demo video ! ! !

Search This thread

maRRRco89

Aug 10, 2011
The Gps bug affects all stock Xperia 2011 phones.

The bug is simple, i explain it better then possible:
i turn on the Gps, wait for a fix, and start to navigate, after 5 minutes the signal drops for about 30 seconds, then works for other 5 minutes and again drops, other 5 minutes and drops, and again again again
every 5 minutes the gps drops without exceptions :eek::eek::eek::eek:
now the datas collected in months of this problem:

1) this happens with traffic data OFF, background data OFF, absolutely no contact to the network at all, and offline app like Sygic, Navigon, Copilot etc
2) this not happen with Maps, also in offline mode, with a little portion of map downloaded before, and no data traffic
3) this not happen with Data enabled or Wifi enabled
4) this also not happen in Flight mode, and perhaps it is the most important information, so is not an hardware problem.
5) with the build 3.0.1.A.145 this didn't happen with data disabled !

Here a log of the bug by a user with the same problem.
DOP.jpg

What do we think about? :
for an unknown reason Sony firmware attempts to collect data every 5 minutes, also if the phone have data disabled. If don't find data, there is a drop out !!
Basically A-gps works always, even if data are disabled (i have no data traffic, my sim is disabled for internet connection), and this must not happen, because it causes a drop, its attempt is not silent for who have data OFF.

P.s OFF topic replies will not be tolerated more.
This thread is for share real problem, confirmed by Sony itself.
If you don't see the bug, is better for you, but please don't discridit these words.
Here the official Sony discussion: http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/25770?start=0&tstart=0

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghostfreak NB

Madfysh

Sep 22, 2011
I hope you tried at Arc forum. Maybe you will have better luck.

Just one question though, have you tried ICS beta? Maybe they solved problem there, so it will be available when ICS comes.

magobetz

Mar 12, 2012
A SW developer on talk.sonymobile says:

"I can now confirm that my fix will be included in the ICS update.
Since the problem occurs because the phone tries to connect to a server to download satellite orbit information there are there are three things you can do until you've got the ICS update:
- Download assistance data while connected to a Wi-Fi network. You can do that by installing the "XtraData Downloader" from Android Market. While on a Wi-Fi network press the "Download XTRA data immediately" button. Do this right before leaving the network since the data is only usable for a limited amount of time.
- Make sure that the signal conditions are good while using the GPS receiver. It will only try to connect to the server until it has successfully decoded the information from the satellites. If using the GPS indoors or while driving in a city the satellite signals will be too weak, but if using the GPS in conditions where the signals are not obstructed by buildings the connection attempts should stop after about 20 minutes when the information has been decoded.
- Activate the data connection (I understand that this is probably not a reasonable solution for you)."

We just have to wait ICS;)

maRRRco89

Aug 10, 2011
I hope you tried at Arc forum. Maybe you will have better luck.

Just one question though, have you tried ICS beta? Maybe they solved problem there, so it will be available when ICS comes.

Thanks, i will try in Arc forum.
No, i don't want to unlock bootloader and install custom rom.

A SW developer on talk.sonymobile says:

"I can now confirm that my fix will be included in the ICS update.
Since the problem occurs because the phone tries to connect to a server to download satellite orbit information there are there are three things you can do until you've got the ICS update:
- Download assistance data while connected to a Wi-Fi network. You can do that by installing the "XtraData Downloader" from Android Market. While on a Wi-Fi network press the "Download XTRA data immediately" button. Do this right before leaving the network since the data is only usable for a limited amount of time.
- Make sure that the signal conditions are good while using the GPS receiver. It will only try to connect to the server until it has successfully decoded the information from the satellites. If using the GPS indoors or while driving in a city the satellite signals will be too weak, but if using the GPS in conditions where the signals are not obstructed by buildings the connection attempts should stop after about 20 minutes when the information has been decoded.
- Activate the data connection (I understand that this is probably not a reasonable solution for you)."

We just have to wait ICS;)

I know the Oscar's reply, but we have to wait other 2 months, and we are waiting alredy from 5 months, it is no possibile. :eek:

Madfysh

Sep 22, 2011

LenAsh

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 20, 2011
Midlands, UK
Not a problem I have... but then again, I use data. Because I can.

Have you searched this out? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1250226

As for "Sony" being somehow bad, I suggest you try the Taiwanese or Korean brands and then comment. The "bug" is largely a Google/Android issue. Apparently.

Why don't you simply sell the phone and buy something that actually suits your needs? I'm not being anyway sarcastic, but that's what I would do... particularly as you have had this problem for ages and received no insight from any of the umpteen posts you have made.

Last edited:
Reactions: kormatoes

maRRRco89

Aug 10, 2011
The bug is "by Sony" in this case, because was introduced with the new firmwares.
When i bought the phone the Gps worked perfectly, or i would have return the phone to my local shop.
Now change it with Samsung or Htc, have no sense, i will lose 50% of the real price, for a problem introduced by Sony itself !
When you say "the bug is an adroid issue", you mean this Gps bug, or the generic world of bugs?
I never saw a Gps bug like this in any android phone.
I searched that discussion, and i wait for a reply by Crypted, the author.

maRRRco89

Aug 10, 2011
I'm confused at why u post this all over ,
Return hand set and move on, and a old one at that

I think what I'm trying to say is what fw you using is it old is it rooted what u changed what apps you using
Are you using correct fw for your region

Sent from my MT15i using Tapatalk

I don't understand the first part of your reply, sorry, but my english is not too colloquial.
About the second part, my firmware is absolutely stock and not rooted, without change in the system.
4.0.2.A.0.62. The bug was introduced since the first 4.0 firmware, with the old 3.0 one was perfect. But i don't want to downgrade, old firmwares weren't so good and there is a lack of important features.
Actually i use Sygic gps navigation.
I repeat it: is not an app problem, but a system one, a real bug.
My firmware is appropriate for my region, it is that correct.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Gps bug affects all stock Xperia 2011 phones.

The bug is simple, i explain it better then possible:
    i turn on the Gps, wait for a fix, and start to navigate, after 5 minutes the signal drops for about 30 seconds, then works for other 5 minutes and again drops, other 5 minutes and drops, and again again again
    every 5 minutes the gps drops without exceptions :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    now the datas collected in months of this problem:

1) this happens with traffic data OFF, background data OFF, absolutely no contact to the network at all, and offline app like Sygic, Navigon, Copilot etc
    2) this not happen with Maps, also in offline mode, with a little portion of map downloaded before, and no data traffic
    3) this not happen with Data enabled or Wifi enabled
    4) this also not happen in Flight mode, and perhaps it is the most important information, so is not an hardware problem.
    5) with the build 3.0.1.A.145 this didn't happen with data disabled !

Here a log of the bug by a user with the same problem.
    DOP.jpg

What do we think about? :
    for an unknown reason Sony firmware attempts to collect data every 5 minutes, also if the phone have data disabled. If don't find data, there is a drop out !!
    Basically A-gps works always, even if data are disabled (i have no data traffic, my sim is disabled for internet connection), and this must not happen, because it causes a drop, its attempt is not silent for who have data OFF.

P.s OFF topic replies will not be tolerated more.
    This thread is for share real problem, confirmed by Sony itself.
    If you don't see the bug, is better for you, but please don't discridit these words.
    Here the official Sony discussion: http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/25770?start=0&tstart=0
    Not a problem I have... but then again, I use data. Because I can.

Have you searched this out? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1250226

As for "Sony" being somehow bad, I suggest you try the Taiwanese or Korean brands and then comment. The "bug" is largely a Google/Android issue. Apparently.

Why don't you simply sell the phone and buy something that actually suits your needs? I'm not being anyway sarcastic, but that's what I would do... particularly as you have had this problem for ages and received no insight from any of the umpteen posts you have made.