• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

GPS Data via Mock Location on Fire 10 (2021)

Search This thread

kiltym

Feb 1, 2018
Hi,

I am trying to be able to use my new Fire for navigation in my car. I realize it does not have a built-in GPS, but there are a number of apps that will let you share GPS from another device via bluetooth or WiFi.

They all rely on the ability to set a Mock Location App in Developer options.

I have used the toolkit and installed Google Play services, and downloaded an app that I know works on my other Android tablet. "GPS Connector". It has a simulation mode, as well as using BT or USB for real GPS data from another device.

I have also installed an app called "Fake GPS location" which just allows you to pick a spot in the world, and then sends that GPS info to the tablet for other apps to use.

Both apps rely on the Mock Location App being set to the app.

When I use Fake GPS location, it works as it should. Apps on the tablet get the fake location and behave as expected.

When I use GPS Connector, it does not work. The tablet acts like there is no GPS info available.

The obvious diagnosis would be its a problem with the GPS Connector app (and it may well be), however the app works fine elsewhere. And, I have downloaded three similar apps, and none of them work on the Fire either (but work elsewhere).

Wondering if anyone here has any ideas? I have seen posts and videos of this working, but likely on older OS/tablets so not sure if Amazon has done something.

Appreciate the help!