GPS dongle dosen't fit LOL!

Search This thread

richardmlea

Jul 13, 2011
My dongle arrived today (UK user, delivered by TNT).
Just before it arrived I notice a tiny crack on my touchscreen caused by the dock. :(
It's going back to Asus before it brakes properly but not before I send it I am getting an independant engineers report done).
To top off a good day the GPS dongle dosent fit properly. There is not enough clearance at the front where it touches the touchscreen. I could possibly force it on an make it fit but this would risk finishing off the crack in the touchscreen. So I cant even test it.
Bahhhhh!:mad:

Last edited:

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
My dongle arrived today (UK user, delivered by TNT).
Just before it arrived I notice a tiny crack on my touchscreen caused by the dock. :(
It's going back to Asus before it brakes properly but not before I send it I am getting an independant engineers report done).
To top off a good day the GPS dongle dosent fit properly. There is not enough clearance at the front where it touches the touchscreen. I could possibly force it on an make it fit but this would risk finishing off the crack in the touchscreen. So I cant even test it.
Bahhhhh!:mad:

Do you have a full body skin protector without cutouts for the keyboard? Only reason why I would see the dongle not fitting like it's suppose to.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium App

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS
Do you have a full body skin protector without cutouts for the keyboard? Only reason why I would see the dongle not fitting like it's suppose to.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium App

I find it hard that screen protectors would make it that tight, I guess ASUS out-did themselves with making this exactly to spec. Not a bad thing lol, but crazy that people are having issues from attachments that are like less than 1 mm thick.

peterk-1

Jan 15, 2012
Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 7 Pro
A crack in the screen + GPS not fitting says to me that the screen hasn't been properly fitted. If you sight along the edge of the screen is it bowed out around the connector or is the screen sticking out above the "case" more at one end than the other?

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
I agree it's a tight fit but that's what you want imo. You don't want it loose and moving around. That will create more problems damaging your tablet... it may also damage the 40 pin connector.
Then I'm sure people here will start complaining that it's too loose and is not snug enough scratching the tablet and such.

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS
I agree it's a tight fit but that's what you want imo. You don't want it loose and moving around. That will create more problems damaging your tablet... it may also damage the 40 pin connector.
Then I'm sure people here will start complaining that it's too loose and is not snug enough scratching the tablet and such.

Oh yeah, like I said, totally a good thing lol

Just kind of surprising considering all the mass-production issues we've been seeing from them. I'm wondering how many of these turn out faulty, and if they're only covered for a year under implied warranty or if they'll replace them when they mess up even further down the road, if they'll replace them at all.

wifesabitch

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto
It's not made to snap automatically and lock like the keyboard dock. You will have to manually slide it to the lock position.

Tried that too, still didn't work.
I had to "locked", but nothing popped up in notification area like I thought it would. Tested out the GPS anyways and it didn't work.

Not wasting my time using their "customer support" over this, I just threw it right in the garbage.

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS
Tried that too, still didn't work.
I had to "locked", but nothing popped up in notification area like I thought it would. Tested out the GPS anyways and it didn't work.

Not wasting my time using their "customer support" over this, I just threw it right in the garbage.

Ah, you could have taken it apart or let someone else :( Lol, I love working on little stuff like that anyway, seems a shame to just trash things.

Always consider recycling too ;) The casing at the very least could have been kept out of a landfill, and more plastic and silicon wouldn't do too well either.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD via my tethered HTC Vision

richardmlea

Jul 13, 2011
pictures of dongle not fitting.

Here is a few pictures of my dongle not fitting.

It looks like the dock connector on my prime is slightly bent. The tablet never leaves my house and I use it in the dock 95% of the time. It can only have bent opening and closing the tablet and dock. This has probably caused the crack in my screen too.

Last edited:

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
Here is a few pictures of my dongle not fitting.

It looks like the dock connector on my prime is slightly bent. The tablet never leaves my house and I use it in the dock 95% of the time. It can only have bent opening and closing the tablet and dock. This has probably caused the crack in my screen too.

Links doesn't appear to show any pics... Nvrmnd I see it now:)

So it looks like it's not the actual GPS dongle that is not fitting but your tablet correct?

Last edited:

richardmlea

Jul 13, 2011
GPS clearance measured with digital callipers

Links doesn't appear to show any pics... Nvrmnd I see it now:)

So it looks like it's not the actual GPS dongle that is not fitting but your tablet correct?

I have just had another look, It looks like the dongle is the problem, not the tablet. Here's some pictures of the bottom of the tablet and the slightly bent connection port. You will notice that it's only bent very slightly (nothing like others I have seen)

The touchscreen is level and looks to be mounted correctly (unless the whole touchscreen is too high but to me it looks the same as others I have seen).
Here are some pictures of the clearances, measured using a digital calliper. It was difficult to hold the tablet, callipers and camera but the measurements are correct. You will notice that gap is about 1mm too small.

dongle

Tablet

I am now convinced (after measuring it) that if I force it onto my tablet the screen will crack. My tablet has a Micro crack caused by the dock (I will post a separate thread shortly about this showing pictures). Any pressure on the touchscreen will break it properly. The dongle will put pressure directly on the micro crack so the result would be instant break.

Everyone that owns a dock should be aware and look out for the micro cracks caused by the dock. They are very easy to miss.
Will update shortly

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts