• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

GPS fix for jelly bean

Search This thread

leppo

Jan 31, 2012
Toronto
It's all well and good that there's a fix, but why should the GPS need to deal with servers at all? It should even be able to get a signal/lock without a SIM card.

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
It's all well and good that there's a fix, but why should the GPS need to deal with servers at all? It should even be able to get a signal/lock without a SIM card.

A-GPS data helps things along because its not always easy or fast to acquire a lock with just a GPS chip. If you had to sit around and wait for a GPS chip only lock every time, you'd be quite frustrated.

Reactions: leppo

leppo

Jan 31, 2012
Toronto
A-GPS data helps things along because its not always easy or fast to acquire a lock with just a GPS chip. If you had to sit around and wait for a GPS chip only lock every time, you'd be quite frustrated.

I can understand that, but I guess when I see everyone talking about GPS, I take them to literally mean GPS, and not A-GPS.

I should say that I didn't specifically test satellite-only GPS this weekend, so I don't know for sure what was the case.

Top Liked Posts