GPS fix that does NOT require OS upgrade, stay on JWR66N/JSS15J/CM10.2

Search This thread

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
I noticed some folks had perfectly functioning tablets except for the GPS issue and were concerned upgrading to JSS15Q might introduce multi-touch or other issues.

They might currently be on JWR66N or JSS15J and just want the GPS fix and nothing else.

I put together a fix that will accomplish just that.

It has been tested on JWR66N and JSS15J.

I will warn you that I've made my best effort to make sure this doesn't cause additional issues, but you always take a risk when making changes to an otherwise working system, although in this case, I consider it small.

If you are already running custom recovery, ignore the instructions below, just flash as any other update.zip

You need your bootloader to be unlocked.

You need to one-time load TWRP (or CWM) into memory but do NOT need to overwrite your existing stock recovery.

You do NOT need to be rooted.

Downloads
  • download TWRP custom recovery
    rename to twrp.img and place in your adb (platform-tools) directory
  • copy update-GPS-lock-fix.zip to your tablet's virtual sdcard
Within command prompt in your adb (platform-tools) directory
  • adb reboot bootloader
  • fastboot boot twrp.img
Within TWRP

Attachments

• update-GPS-lock-fix.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 916
Last edited:

OJ in Compton

Aug 5, 2010
I am willing to give it a try in a day or two if you don't get enough people to test this, I'd do it now but I upgraded to JSS15Q already so I'll have to reflash the previous version and I have some assignments to finish first.

Sort of off topic, but as someone who had very good touchscreen response on JSS15J and now has minor issues on JSS15Q, is there any way for me to extract and apply the touchscreen settings from JSS15J update into anything in the future? This is assuming that Google uses the touchscreen settings from JSS15Q in future updates since they appear to consider them a "fix".

Anyway, thanks a lot for creating this patch for us.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
I don't know if the touchscreen firmware is flashed onto the tablet by the kernel persistently or loaded everytime it starts, but the touchscreen firmware is contained in the kernel.

Theoretically you may be able to get JSS15J touchscreen behavior by using the JSS15J kernel with your JSS15Q ROM.

However, if the touchscreen firmware is flashed directly into hardware and the versions can only go up, then you are stuck with the JSS15Q touchscreen firmware.

So basically try flashing the JSS15J kernel and see if the touchscreen behavior changes.

chrolmesq

Dec 30, 2011
If my device is rooted, can I just flash it normally?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

hyperxguy

Mar 31, 2011
It works

Hello sfhub ...
I'm in a unique situation here. I'm on Slimbean beta3 which is based on JSS15Q and the fixes should be in place. However, something
is lost in translation and the GPS issue is still there. So I applied your fixes and (so far) it appears to fix the GPS issue.
I don't know what you did there, can you explain ? Did you just just pull the google fixes off their release ?
Thanks.

Last edited:

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Hello sfhub ...
I'm in a unique situation here. I'm on Slimbean beta3 which is based on JSS15Q and the fixes should be in place. However, something
is lost in translation and the GPS issue is still there. So I applied your fixes and (so far) it appears to fix the GPS issue.
I don't know what you did there, can you explain ? Did you just just pull the google fixes off their release ?
Thanks.
I extracted the GPS firmware and made it available to previous releases.

It should theoretically work with any ROM as long as it is based on stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: hyperxguy

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
This fix appears to be working well.

Removed testing from title.

Given that the JSS15Q touchscreen firmware is a one-way street, no going back, there may be more interest in this solution to the GPS issue, especially if your touch screen in working acceptably well on JWR66N or JSS15J.

Last edited:

hyperxguy

Mar 31, 2011
Navigated a couple of long trips today and worked like a charm.
Thanks.
Such a clever idea !

berardi

Jul 16, 2007
NYC
argh, so the fix worked perfectly, GPS finally works for me!! thank you!
But I am getting spammed with "Bluetooth Share has stopped" messages so the system is unusable. I will reflash the original CM, apparently bluetooth is broken by the fix.
Any ideas?

EDIT: False alarm, it had nothing to do with this fix. It was entirely related to a Bluetooth Audio "Fix".

Last edited:

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Wow, so we broke the berardi black cloud curse? Something good happened to your Nexii? That is really something! :)

Chasroach

Dec 31, 2012
San Jose
I rooted my N7 and kept the stock ROM. I ran the OTA update, no problems, and it fixes the GPS issue. Still on JSS15J.

Sent from my Nexus 7 2 FHD Flo (razor)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I noticed some folks had perfectly functioning tablets except for the GPS issue and were concerned upgrading to JSS15Q might introduce multi-touch or other issues.

They might currently be on JWR66N or JSS15J and just want the GPS fix and nothing else.

I put together a fix that will accomplish just that.

It has been tested on JWR66N and JSS15J.

I will warn you that I've made my best effort to make sure this doesn't cause additional issues, but you always take a risk when making changes to an otherwise working system, although in this case, I consider it small.

If you are already running custom recovery, ignore the instructions below, just flash as any other update.zip

You need your bootloader to be unlocked.

You need to one-time load TWRP (or CWM) into memory but do NOT need to overwrite your existing stock recovery.

You do NOT need to be rooted.

Downloads
    • download TWRP custom recovery
      rename to twrp.img and place in your adb (platform-tools) directory
    • copy update-GPS-lock-fix.zip to your tablet's virtual sdcard
    Within command prompt in your adb (platform-tools) directory
    • adb reboot bootloader
    • fastboot boot twrp.img
    Within TWRP
    If my device is rooted, can I just flash it normally?
    Yes.
    Hello sfhub ...
    Thanks.
    I extracted the GPS firmware and made it available to previous releases.

It should theoretically work with any ROM as long as it is based on stock.
    would it help (or does it matter), to install something like boot-ts10-lock.img before flashing with the factory JSS15Q (as he did), to protect my working touch screen, or does it really matter?
    For peace of mind and sanity, some people like to do TS10 first, so they can verify everything is working as it should, and have that locked in place before doing any upgrade. The other way around, doing the upgrade first, will just result in a little anxiety if your touchscreen starts having the documented issues and then you have to go back and figure out which one of the fixes to use. Both will work though.

as an aside, is there any way to tell if the tablet did indeed correctly update from the JWR66N dev keys to the JWR66N release keys?
    Easiest way without upgrading is to sideload the JWR66N-devkeys to JWR66N-release keys OTA update. It won't make any changes but will SHA1 check all your files (well not really all of them, because it is a smaller update, but most of them, and most importantly the ones it tried to modify the first time around which are the ones that are potentially corrupted)

Just wondering if it's worth trying the update-repair-JWR66N.zip to see if it helps with anything... or should I just F*it and go straight to JSS15Q.... I guess I have nothing to loose by trying it...?
    From a time-efficiency standpoint, lock in TS10 and do the upgrade to JSS15Q.

From the standpoint of learning new things along the way, you can try the update/repair JWR66N route.

On a second note, since I first tried to fix the GPS using your method, but only came across your mention now that TWRP (2.6.0.0) 2.6.1.0 will cause an upgrade to your touchscreen software to (JSS15J) JSS15Q levels, and while my GPS is still not working but the touchscreen still works fine, would that imply that loading the factory image to JSS15Q might not affect the touch screen after all
    Yeah, sorry about not mentioning TWRP. At first I actually didn't realize that was happening myself until an associate recently complained that rooting messed up his touchscreen and I investigated what was going on.

If you used TWRP 2.6.0.0 you'll be at JSS15J level touchscreen software. If you went to JSS15J there would be no difference, however going to JSS15Q is a different story. Going in that patch, some people have new issues, some do not, some have issues fixed.
    N7 #2

Ok, so just a quick update (or not so quick). Returned unit to Bestbuy. They got a new shipment in of N7's, though still July manufactured dates.

Anyway, fired this one up. Like the last, and seemingly all July dates, it is still on JWR66N and still missing the multicoloured wallpaper. But luckily the touch screen seems good again, the power button is better on this one (was flaky before) and this time GPS actually works... fired up GPS Test and in about 30 seconds I had satellite locks, so it obviously just wasn't me... But as expected I do have the GPS issues others have experienced and as described on here. Also, and perhaps of interest to sfhub, as I'm not sure that I've read it elsewhere specifically but upon using GPS I was having multiple crashes and reboots. I figured this was down to the GPS and hoped 15Q would fix that.

So I know it wasn't necessary, but I locked in TS10.img, just because I didn't feel like dealing with it after, and flashed the factory JSS15Q rom. I am so far happy to report that touch screen seems to still be working well, and GPS seems to be fixed...!!! I've opened google maps and easily get a lot of satellites showing and it is also accurately showing the icons with satellite fix in the status bar. Ive run other GPS Test software at the same time as google maps and it all seems good!! Also, while testing the GPS I didn't have any rebooting issues so far, though I've only played with it for a little while.

Let's hope Google keeps improving this or that Android 5 installs nicely on the N7 eventually, because when it's working it's a great tablet.

Thanks sfhub for all your efforts and I'll keep watching these forums for any future news.

Cheers...