• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

GPS Hardware Fix after Teardown

Search This thread

Macropoutsis

May 29, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I'm posting this as a guide to repairing your GPS at the hardware level after a teardown. So you decided to replace your broken screen, or put on some fancy back cover on your M8. Or even sent in your phone for repair just get it back with no GPS lock. You notice your phone sees satellites but can't get a fix/lock because the signal is to low. Simple fix. I've attached some images to help explain the process.

First you need to remove the back cover. Just the back cover. (This is a nice tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsZLl_JzwA )
Second. Locate ITEM #1 at the top of the phone shown in the attached pictures. This is a copper metal tab that bends easily. My guess, this get bent during teardown.
Third. Locate ITEM #2 on the back cover shown in the attached pictures. This is a contact point for ITEM #1.
Fourth. Bend ITEM #1 so it contacts ITEM #2 when you reassemble the back cover. That's it.
Fifth. Download GPS Statues from the market and test your GPS.
Sixth. Hit the thanks button and enjoy a beer.

Attachments

• 20150206_213205.jpg
    20150206_213205.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 25,188
  • 20150206_213219.jpg
    20150206_213219.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 24,767
  • 20150206_213148.jpg
    20150206_213148.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 24,586
Last edited by a moderator:

Golf3-2.8

Jul 9, 2010
thank you

very nice idea and saved my day/week/month.... i tried everything regarding software, firmware and rom but nothing would help.
at the same time when i flashed to another rom i tried to fix my speaker and i had to remove the speaker cover.... i never thought of a hardware problem but my GPS is functioning well again now.

Reactions: Macropoutsis

mccollumni

Mar 9, 2015
I'm posting this as a guide to repairing your GPS at the hardware level after a teardown. So you decided to replace your broken screen, or put on some fancy back cover on your M8. Or even sent in your phone for repair just get it back with no GPS lock. You notice your phone sees satellites but can't get a fix/lock because the signal is to low. Simple fix. I've attached some images to help explain the process.

I couldn't find this copper tab (maybe the reason why mine isn't working), but I also couldn't see it in the video you linked to?

Macropoutsis

May 29, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I couldn't find this copper tab (maybe the reason why mine isn't working), but I also couldn't see it in the video you linked to?
Yeah. Hard to see it in the video. That's just for teardown. Best is to check the pics. That tab should be at the top of the phone next to the power button. Unless yours is missing altogether. It is pretty flimsy.

Sent from my 831C using XDA Free mobile app

Espartan55

Jan 14, 2016
Any luck with your attempt to fix this with that tab gone? This also happened to me after I had swapped colors. Love the phone but I need GPS lock.

Thank so much men, i have like half year without gps and this solution works for me. And for the ones that broke the metal tab like me :( i put a piece of aluminum paper and it works. Again thank you men i'm very happy

m1kem

Jan 29, 2016
Does anyone have a better picture of the tab? I think mine is broken off, but I can't tell from the blurry pictures. I tried stuffing aluminum foil in the gap, but I'm not sure if I'm touching the correct points. The phone is now locking a few satellites, but only barely enough - and it is super slow. This is better than without the foil, but not a ton better.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

First you need to remove the back cover. Just the back cover. (This is a nice tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDsZLl_JzwA )
    Second. Locate ITEM #1 at the top of the phone shown in the attached pictures. This is a copper metal tab that bends easily. My guess, this get bent during teardown.
    Third. Locate ITEM #2 on the back cover shown in the attached pictures. This is a contact point for ITEM #1.
    Fourth. Bend ITEM #1 so it contacts ITEM #2 when you reassemble the back cover. That's it.
    Fifth. Download GPS Statues from the market and test your GPS.
    Sixth. Hit the thanks button and enjoy a beer.
    here's what i did:

fix it with superglue on the opposite side of the contact point, there's much place for it. then bend it over the circuit board until it reaches the contact. now you need sth to press the foil down onto the contact. i seized a piece of wood into the small area, cut it until it had the right size, was a funny job... but it works now [emoji106]

edit: ok, abload sucks atm. direct upload:
    d3e515dd0f43ea695e6f98de0bc3cb4c.jpg
    maybe, it even may be that you produced a short-circuit with this. it's a little bit tricky, this place isn't the best one for mc gyver solutions :D

After many tries I managed to get it working.. the way you did didn't work for me... I had do fold the foil to the front... if it was folded backwards to the back of the contact it didn't work.. maybe didn't make contact with the connector on the back casing.. anyways it works now and I'm not afraid of getting lost again :silly:
    thank you

very nice idea and saved my day/week/month.... i tried everything regarding software, firmware and rom but nothing would help.
    at the same time when i flashed to another rom i tried to fix my speaker and i had to remove the speaker cover.... i never thought of a hardware problem but my GPS is functioning well again now.
    Saved my ass ! I changed my back cover and then my gps stop working ! Thx kind sir ! =)