• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

GPS in google pixel c

Search This thread

commander1874

Aug 23, 2021
Hello, Recently I decided to get tablet for my car, and I come up with Google pixel C tablet, Which I'd like to use for many reason, to listen music and watch, for camera instead of mirrors, for GPS navigation. I like the size and every specs it has, read everything about it, but There is no GPS? Google pixel c doesn' come with built in gps? Is it true, why did they do so good tablet without gps? it's something like iphone 12 without camera.
I just can't beleive that any modern tablet without GPS, and plus google would have include gps staff in their devices. My question is is it true or did I read something wrong?

commander1874

Aug 23, 2021
Hello, Recently I decided to get tablet for my car, and I come up with Google pixel C tablet, Which I'd like to use for many reason, to listen music and watch, for camera instead of mirrors, for GPS navigation. I like the size and every specs it has, read everything about it, but There is no GPS? Google pixel c doesn' come with built in gps? Is it true, why did they do so good tablet without gps? it's something like iphone 12 without camera.
I just can't beleive that any modern tablet without GPS, and plus google would have include gps staff in their devices. My question is is it true or did I read something wrong?
1111111.png

locuturus

It is true.

The Pixel C was supposed to be a Chrome OS tablet. So, because they weren't building the hardware for Android they omitted many standard Android features from the time:
- No GPS.
- No vibration
- Touch screen cannot estimate finger pressure
- No NFC
- A surprising number of hardware components cannot be directly configured even with root because they live in the Chrome OS bootloader

There are also just weird choices or mistakes like:
- Poor WiFi signal
- Catastrophic Bluetooth signal
- 3 GB RAM when the chip supports 4 GB and it was supposed to run desktop Chrome? WAT
- Others. It's a long list really.

But I still love it even though it really should have been allowed a couple of generations for improvements to reach it's potential.