GPS in wm6

Search This thread

myk_83

Jan 19, 2007
I'm struggling to get my GPS software and bluetooth receiver to work together in Faria's REAL THING ROM. I've paired the devices, used the wm5gpsfix.exe and all the settings under the sun but I still can't get my software to see the gps receiver.

The software is Destinator Lite (for the moment, until I can make sure everything's working fine and then I'll buy a better one) and the bluetooth GPS is a Navman something-or-other.

Is there any difference between wm5 and wm6 that would make the fix for wm5 not work any more? Has anybody else had any problems using GPS receivers and software in wm6?

myk_83

Jan 19, 2007
I've paired the phone to the receiver, and set the outgoing port to 5. Then, using the GPS settings in wm6, I have set the hardware port co COM5 and the program port to COM4. Destinator Lite will only let me select 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 9 for my COM ports, but I can't select any of those for the outgoing port which is why I'm using the GPS settings bit.

Does anyone know if the button on the receiver is supposed to do anything other than double-flash all the time and then turn off? :confused:

ADB100

Nov 3, 2006
I've paired the phone to the receiver, and set the outgoing port to 5. Then, using the GPS settings in wm6, I have set the hardware port co COM5 and the program port to COM4. Destinator Lite will only let me select 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 9 for my COM ports, but I can't select any of those for the outgoing port which is why I'm using the GPS settings bit.

Does anyone know if the button on the receiver is supposed to do anything other than double-flash all the time and then turn off? :confused:

I don't think all programs work with the GPS manager thing, I think they have to be written to that specific API. I have TomTom 6 and although this lets me select the GPS program port I have configured (COM7) it doesn't see the GPS. If I reconfigure it to work with the GPS hardware port (COM6) it works fine. I also have Pocket Streets 2006 installed and this works with either. Strangely If I start Pocket Streets first and minimise it then load TomTom it works with the GPS software port. I assume Pocket Streets kick starts something that activates COM7, whereas TomTom doesn't do this automatically.

HTH

Andy

myk_83

Jan 19, 2007
Thanks for your help! Unfortunately, I can't set my outgoing port in bluetooth settings to any of the numbers that my program will accept. Is there any way of freeing up any of the others? At the moment, it just says "COM port could not be created. Check your settings and try again."

atdavie

Mar 9, 2006
GPS manager sucks

I never got the gps manager working. I go direct to the GPS port and it works fine. Never applied any fixes either ... ?

newbie2

Mar 19, 2006
Ohio Valley
I had to change my port from Com7 under WM5 to Com6 in WM6 in order for my software to "see" the bluetooth receiver. I'm using OnCourse Navigator6 with WM6 and was using their Navigator5 software with WM5. Not sure if there's a difference with the actual ROM or the software, but COM6 is the only one that works for me at this point.

However, under WM5, if I tried to pair map4pda with the bluetooth receiver, it never would detect it. But, with WM6, it found it using the COM6 port that I use with OnCourse. Strange. . . but, as long as it's working now, that's all I care about.

myk_83

Jan 19, 2007
Working... somehow

Ok, I now have my receiver picking up through bluetooth and my program can find it. Not quite sure how it works, cos to me it looks like it shouldn't. But anyway, here goes.

First, I searched through the registry on my wizard for all references to COM3, which was one of the ports my GPS program could see but that I couldn't set as the outgoing port for my receiver. I changed all the (2) values to COM5, as COM3 is for IR which I never use.

Then I paired my receiver, and tried to set the outgoing port as 3, which still didn't work, so I went for 5, which did. Then used the GPS manager thing to set the hardware port as 5 and the program port as 3. (I don't think the GPS manager is working with my program though)

Then in my sat nav software COM5 was available, and now COM3 has disappeared (before there were 0,1,2,3,4,9 available) so now I can choose 0,1,2,4,5,9. So I selected 5, and it found it!

So now it works, but I'm not sure if this is an ideal way of doing it (messing with the registry :confused: ) and I don't know if I'd be able to use my IR port for anything now. I was thinking of playing with some of the "universal remote" programs that are knocking about, so I guess we'll see. But for now, at least my GPS is working!

Now I just need some better software...

bachviet

Jun 14, 2006
SoCal
I use TT6 with my Holux GPSlim 236 (both WM5 and WM6) and I set the outgoing port (in bluetooth setting not GPS setting) to COM6. Then TT6 sees the COM6 in the "Other bluetooth GSP" setup so I could select the port.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone