GPS Locking Issue

Search This thread

robmc826

Dec 25, 2012
I'm getting a phone today. I'm either getting the g2 or note 3. This really changes things with all the gps issues people are having. I'm also on verizon where people seem to be having the most issues.

masteril

Nov 30, 2012
so the d802 international have gps problem too?or only verizon?

Sent from my R800i using xda app-developers app

D

Deleted member 1198227

so the d802 international have gps problem too?or only verizon?

Sent from my R800i using xda app-developers app

I have 802 international and have problem. But most users with problems have verizon. In any case even if you haven't problem, gps is bad. Galaxy s4 see more satellites and with beter signal for comparison.. I use runtastic for running and using the very old galaxy s2. Galaxy s2 needs 30 second to lock satellites when lg g2 locks in 2-3 seconds.
But lg g2 looses signal every many times. When s2 is very accurate. I run with both gps. S2 looses +- 10 m in 10km running , when lg g2 looses 270 m. It doesn't following my track in road.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

francyesco

Dec 14, 2013
I have a similar issue, using waze is like the car position is updated every second and not continuosly, no problem locking satellites..

hyperxguy

Mar 31, 2011
I'm getting a phone today. I'm either getting the g2 or note 3. This really changes things with all the gps issues people are having. I'm also on verizon where people seem to be having the most issues.

We have three Verizon G2s. None has had any issue with GPS on Stock.
I rooted mine and loaded Malladus and immediately had GPS issue. It was a quick and easy fix (get the GPS Test app and update AGPS).
I don't think it's a HW issue at all with the G2. Been navigating (with navigon) a few dozen times without missing a beat.

D

Deleted member 1198227

We have three Verizon G2s. None has had any issue with GPS on Stock.
I rooted mine and loaded Malladus and immediately had GPS issue. It was a quick and easy fix (get the GPS Test app and update AGPS).
I don't think it's a HW issue at all with the G2. Been navigating (with navigon) a few dozen times without missing a beat.

I have done every software fix i have read here and elsewhere. Nothing.
I believe most users doesn't even understand that they have problems. Gps locks amazing fast. As someone write before it doesn't keep the signal constantly. As a result isn't vevy accurate. It is working for navigation in car but not very well. If you haven't anything else to compare you probably thing that all phone gps is like this..
If you use it for running it is obvious is very very bad.

hyperxguy

Mar 31, 2011
I believe most users doesn't even understand that they have problems. Gps locks amazing fast. As someone write before it doesn't keep the signal constantly. As a result isn't vevy accurate. It is working for navigation in car but not very well. If you haven't anything else to compare you probably thing that all phone gps is like this..

I've had some GPS experience under my belt:
* Asus Transformer: GPS got very weak after Honeycomb.
* 2013 Nexus 7: more than one app using GPS and it would cease to exist randomly. It was a firmware problem which Google
didn't fix right away. So many users believed it was a HW issue then.
* Our 2012 Nexus 7s are perfect with GPS.

The G2 issue is just a minor hickup -for me-. We've been using GPS on Android devices for about two years. Our Tomtom & Garmin are collecting dust now.

D

Deleted member 1198227

I opened back of the phone and connected a cable like the one another one posted in a photo before. But i was able to close the phone without remove the cable from insight.
I test now in car, but i dont see improvement.. :(

young0ne

Dec 18, 2008
Acworth, GA
How did you pull that one off? They are sending me my second replacement, will see how it goes.

Sent from my LG G2

Well I guess just talking to the right people I mean Ive had three replacements with in a week.So since the note 3 is the only phone that has a 800 snapdragon thats the only thing they could use that would be on the same level. between me ,you and the community I came up from a DROID DNA
so after my forth replacement with the DNA after a few months they put me the G2 then have this debacle with GPS 3 replacements I told to put me in a note 3. talk about I know how to talk LOL

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Feb 8, 2010

That about sums it up.

Sent from my LG G2

chinyuk

Oct 17, 2007
GPS conclusion

I had some time this holiday, meet up with my cousin who has the same phone, same D803 (okay I am on Rogers, he is on Bell). In addition, I compare it to my brother's Optimus G, and the conclusion is clear:

Using AnroiTS inside a house, neither G2 will give any signal whatsoever. However, with my brother G, he was able to pick up around 6 to 7 satellite albeit weak but still able to get a location. I had them on for 5 minutes, still nothing. Looking at other who changed 3 phones and same issue, I think it is crystal clear to me it is a poor GPS antenna design which has led to this problem. And when you look at N5 user having similar issue, I think given the similar design, we can all conclude it is nothing we can truly do about this.

The funny thing is when speaking with my cousin who live in downtown area, (with taller buildings and what not) and I live in the more rural area with few high rises, he praise that the GPS is good and fast locking. In some case, it does lock very fast, I experienced it myself, but it is hit and miss. However, the accuracy of this GPS is very very poor mainly because the GPS signal is weak. So from 2 different user, we have 2 experience and I prove the phone are not one better than the other. Mind you, we are both technical people so it isn't like he doesn't know what he's talking about, he may not be a Android freak like myself and modify things and what not but I think why some people believe it is okay is because it sort of work marginally for them.

After that test, I shell out $100 for a GPS re-radiating device, I am really hoping this will solve the problem in the car at least which is where I use it most. When I get the unit, I will report back and let other know if it improve it (which I think it should) cause there is nothing defective about the s/w or h/w, just the antenna sucks.

D

Deleted member 1198227

If it is the antenna, isn't possible to change it?
To conclude that it is the antenna, someone must connect a better (probably with back cover of the phone off) and test the navigation. Any way to make a homemade test antenna?
I really love the phone except the gps..

Last edited by a moderator:

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Feb 8, 2010
Just got my replacement, in the process of setting it up.

Will test and see if its any better and post back in a few days.

chinyuk

Oct 17, 2007
If it is the antenna, isn't possible to change it?
To conclude that it is the antenna, someone must connect a better (probably with back cover of the phone off) and test the navigation. Any way to make a homemade test antenna?
I really love the phone except the gps..

Read this thread, someone has tried to do a antenna modification and it worked a lot better. I did some very quick test myself basically just temporarily attaching a long wire to one of the contact and it did boost the signal level as well, so we know antenna is one of the issue. I think software can only do so much to help like boosting amplification. But if the reception is weak, there isn't a whole lot you can do.

D

Deleted member 1198227

Read this thread, someone has tried to do a antenna modification and it worked a lot better. I did some very quick test myself basically just temporarily attaching a long wire to one of the contact and it did boost the signal level as well, so we know antenna is one of the issue. I think software can only do so much to help like boosting amplification. But if the reception is weak, there isn't a whole lot you can do.

I have read. I also did this with the wire. Signal have a small improvement but problem doesn't. It has the same bad behavior as before. No improvement at all. So i am not sure if the biggest issue is the antenna.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    10:12 AM Gus: That's right,
    10:12 AM Gus: In none of our phones
    10:13 AM Gus: It uses the carrier service to get a GPS signal
    10:13 AM Gus: Which comes from the towers.
    Gus needs a) a salary decrease b) a new job c) a kick in the arse d) all of the above.

The G2, regardless of its variant, is equipped with a GPS and GLONASS receiver chip. Not like a software thing, but a physical piece of hardware. I don't care what kind of a network you're on, you cannot lock on to a GPS signal without a GPS receiver!
    Hi XDA, thanks to this thread, I was finally able to fix my G2 from Bell.

A little backstory: I took the phone to Bell and they simply flashed stock firmware and gave it back to me a week later. Of course this did not help as I've tried this myself. *Honestly, do they have monkeys working there?*

So I opened the back cover, raised the pins, that didn't help... perhaps the pins are not very strong and bend back down very easily.

Then I attached a wire to the pins and tested, surprisingly got really good GPS signal.

Next, I peeled off the connector from the cover and put some double sided tape (very thin) to lift the connector a bit and closed the cover. Now i'm getting same (if not better) results as my Nexus 5.

Below are pictures of a)connector and b)GPS Test results indoors.

Hopefully this helps. A thanks would be nice if it does indeed help you :)
    Is it possible that the following things could be causing some of these issues, either individually or when installed as a group?

• Rooting
    • Installing twrp
    • Installing Xposed framework

I have an unlimited data plan on Verizon, so each time I change phones I buy one outright from Craigslist or eBay. I bought a G2 from eBay a month or so ago. I don't know the vintage of the phone, it could be one of the very first phones for all I know (I've read that some of the early phones may have actual hardware issues). I almost immediately rooted it, installed twrp and flashed a navbar mod. Since I rooted it immediately, I can't say whether my changes had a negative effect on GPS - but I had terrible GPS performance with this phone, and none of the methods described here helped at all.

Because I was so frustrated with this, I went to the Verizon store on a whim and shelled out full price for a brand new G2. GPS works wonderfully on this new phone. I haven't rooted it yet, and I'm afraid to do so because I don't want to screw it up! I need the GPS to continue to work flawlessly as it does now, and I don't know if rooting will cause issues.

Thoughts?

I have answered this question myself after doing some careful testing.

After I received my new Verizon G2 and found that the GPS worked flawlessly, I decided to test it for at least a few days after each software change to be sure that each change did not have any effect on the GPS functionality. I made only one change at a time so I would know what change caused an issue, if one were to arise.

• I used the phone for several days, totally stock, and checked the GPS every single time I got in the car - which was between 2 and 10 times a day. I estimate I did about 13 hours of testing while the phone was completely stock, and the GPS always worked flawlessly. I used Google Maps and Waze as testbeds.
    • I rooted the phone using IORoot and did nothing else to it at that time. I tested the phone again for 3 days and found no issues with the GPS.
    • I installed TWRP only, and continued to use the phone, noticing no issues with GPS for the next 4 days.
    • I did the smaller nav bar mod, and used the phone for a few more days and confirmed that there were no issues with the GPS.
    • I did the status bar declutter mod, and this the last mod I have done to this phone to date. I continue to make it a point to use the GPS every day to be sure it's working properly. It still works great.
    • It's worth noting that I have not used any of the GPS apps that people are discussing in this thread. I have also not done a system reset, nor deleted dalvik/cache at any time on this phone.

My new G2 now has the same software configuration that the previous one did, and it works flawlessly, while the previous phone had very poor GPS functionality. Thus, it's clear to me that it's a hardware issue. Some G2s work great, some do not. Unfortunately it cost me a pretty penny to find this out for myself.
    Hi guys,

I have problem with my GPS too, but may be I found the solution, here are what you need to do :
    1) Actually, GPS can runs without internet connection, but, when it takes to long to get a lock, it is time to update your GPS data, so turn on your Internet Connection
    2) Go to your Location Access and turn on Access to my location, make sure that you checked GPS Satellites and Wifi and mobile network location
    3) Also important is that you use your original gps.conf, I found that settings on this file (except for ntp servers) is the most suitable for G2
    4) Go to G2's hidden menu, on my phone, by dial 3845#*802#, I think (except for Verison), you can change 802 with your phone model
    5) After Hidden menu shows, choose Gnss Test
    6) Press menu and choose Start GPS and wait until GPS get locks (this could take time, up to 5 minutes on my case). This the process that new GPS data downloaded into your phone
    7) When it's get locks, you can turn off GPS and then turn it on again, but this time checked GPS Satellites only and leave Wifi and mobile network unchecked
    8) You will notice that this time, your GPS will locks quickly

Locking speed is only works for a few hours, when, it became to long again, you need to repeat those processes.

Note :
    1) If you can't use Gnss Test in hidden menu, you can use app from play store to download your GPS data, such as GPS Fix or GPS Toolbox or any other app that capable to manage AGPS data
    2) If your phone is rooted, you can slightly modified your gps.conf, remove the # sign before the text NTP_SERVER = time.gpsonextra.net, do it again to set for region, if you live in asia, remove where you find NTP_SERVER=asia.pool.ntp.org

I have tested many time and it works for me, hope it work for you too.
    finally fixed the gps

Hi guyz, its a long story short, i had following issues.
    1: weak gps signal
    2: gps losing fix
    3: gps always searching never got a fix
    After pressing top right corner it boosted gps signals for a while.
    I did open the back cover and pulled gps antenna connectors a little bit and #1 and #2 were fixed, but i was still having #3 issue.
    Then i tried slapping phone on my hand and it did worked for a while, so it seemed like a hardware issue to me and it really was bad soldering. Bcoz after much slapping it never showed any sattelites. I thought i permanently broked the gps.
    Solution for no 3: i opened the back cover as well as antenna cover on top and noticed there are two resistors connected to each leg of gps antenna connector. On my phone of them was missing. Bcoz i slapped too much and it was loosely soldered. I tried to find the missing one but i didn't. Then i just soldered the missing one and now all gps problems are gone. I get first fix in 12 seconds without Agps. i m getting very strong signals even indoors.

If someone post a picture of g2 mainboard i can highlight the defected resistors.

Cheers