• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

GPS locking up

Are you having GPS issues?

• Total voters

Flippy125

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I was just wondering if anybody has been having this issue. After successfully locking onto satellites for GPS for navigation, if I turn off maps when I reach my destination, it requires a reboot until I can use GPS again, it only updates once every few minutes. Haven't done much testing on it since I was on a highway going 80 when I noticed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

openwheelracing

May 13, 2012
I was just wondering if anybody has been having this issue. After successfully locking onto satellites for GPS for navigation, if I turn off maps when I reach my destination, it requires a reboot until I can use GPS again, it only updates once every few minutes. Haven't done much testing on it since I was on a highway going 80 when I noticed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Same issue here. I think its wide spread but only a few of us use the GPS function

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

crmsnghst

Dec 12, 2008
Same here... even exchanged for a new device from 16 to 32gb model and still the same issue. Works for about 10-30mins then locks me in the location completely.

Moderator should merge threads.... issue is duped on XDA

kmartburrito

Mar 17, 2006
Denver, CO
Happened to me while playing ingress, I had to reboot

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
HERES THE FIX!!
I had this very same issue, and found a resolution for it (can't remember the source now)

After taking both system updates and rebooting, it is necessary to hard reset the device. Upon the initial boot, you must leave all options checked but the following -
  • Backup and Restore options (you can turn on after the initial setup is finished from options)
  • there are three location options, one being new to 4.3 and what I believe to cause this - it mentions the ability for location to be grabbed when the screen is off. You must diable this option.

Finish installation, and then you will have properly working GPS.

Here's how I'm quantifying that - before when I was in the exact same boat as those in this thread, I would open GPS test, and I could see 7 or 8 sats in view, but it wouldn't lock. Or if it did, it would work for a short period of time, and then bomb out. I drove around the city for a few hours yesterday using the GPS so we're near and dear now to each other.

After doing all this - you will IMMEDIATELY see 20 sats available upon launching gps test and then almost immediately get full lock and keep it that way.

Was a pain that I had to clear everything, but now GPS is working as I would expect it, and I've not had any issues getting full lock, even in my basement.

Hope this helps!!

mrc13an

Dec 1, 2007
Düsseldorf
I tried to duplicate the problem you describe, but was not able to.

Here is what I did:
- Launch Maps application for the first time.
- Accepted the terms of service and enabled location services access, including Wi-Fi.
- Got location via Wi-Fi, then pinpointed the location via GPS.
- Back to home screen -> Settings -> Apps.
- Maps was not running, but I went into Maps under the all apps view and force closed it.
- Back to home screen.
- Launch the Maps application again and I had an accurate location via GPS in less than 10 seconds.

I repeated this procedure again with the same results. I then disabled Wi-Fi location assistance so that only GPS was available. Repeating the tests twice again and I still see the same results. I have no problems getting a good location lock quickly.

I am running the stock firmware, build JSS15J, and Maps v7.0.1.

I am happy to test again if somebody having this problem can provide specific information regarding their test procedures and results.

Flippy125

Jan 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I tried to duplicate the problem you describe, but was not able to.

Here is what I did:
- Launch Maps application for the first time.
- Accepted the terms of service and enabled location services access, including Wi-Fi.
- Got location via Wi-Fi, then pinpointed the location via GPS.
- Back to home screen -> Settings -> Apps.
- Maps was not running, but I went into Maps under the all apps view and force closed it.
- Back to home screen.
- Launch the Maps application again and I had an accurate location via GPS in less than 10 seconds.

I repeated this procedure again with the same results. I then disabled Wi-Fi location assistance so that only GPS was available. Repeating the tests twice again and I still see the same results. I have no problems getting a good location lock quickly.

I am running the stock firmware, build JSS15J, and Maps v7.0.1.

I am happy to test again if somebody having this problem can provide specific information regarding their test procedures and results.
It was showing an accurate location in Maps until I started to drive. Once I sped up, it showed me where I was ~15 miles back

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ogeretla

Flippy125

Jan 14, 2010
Las Vegas
HERES THE FIX!!
I had this very same issue, and found a resolution for it (can't remember the source now)

After taking both system updates and rebooting, it is necessary to hard reset the device. Upon the initial boot, you must leave all options checked but the following -
  • Backup and Restore options (you can turn on after the initial setup is finished from options)
  • there are three location options, one being new to 4.3 and what I believe to cause this - it mentions the ability for location to be grabbed when the screen is off. You must diable this option.

Here's how I'm quantifying that - before when I was in the exact same boat as those in this thread, I would open GPS test, and I could see 7 or 8 sats in view, but it wouldn't lock. Or if it did, it would work for a short period of time, and then bomb out. I drove around the city for a few hours yesterday using the GPS so we're near and dear now to each other.

After doing all this - you will IMMEDIATELY see 20 sats available upon launching gps test and then almost immediately get full lock and keep it that way.

Was a pain that I had to clear everything, but now GPS is working as I would expect it, and I've not had any issues getting full lock, even in my basement.

Hope this helps!!
Thanks, I'll try this when I get back to a decent data connection

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

skyhawk21

Mar 26, 2009
I was the source #1, AND #2 although I thought this fixed it, the issue came back! Its like a memory error with the gps driver and or buffer with a overstack flow of data and it either crashes it so you loose gps functions, or locks it up so its searching but never locks. Seems as if its software and android 4.3 or google system service or framework issues. Same problem with older S4 chipsets and jellybean. Google fixed that by updating system files for jelly bean 4.1.2 and 4.2.x. Also the new maps could be the culprit as well since it was updated to a completely new version.

HERES THE FIX!!

Hope this helps!!

Reactions: kmartburrito

mrc13an

Dec 1, 2007
Düsseldorf

I had done a hard reset as well after applying the initial updates. I left backup enabled but disabled restore during the setup process and disabled all three location features as well.

kmartburrito

Mar 17, 2006
Denver, CO
I was the source #1, AND #2 although I thought this fixed it, the issue came back! Its like a memory error with the gps driver and or buffer with a overstack flow of data and it either crashes it so you loose gps functions, or locks it up so its searching but never locks. Seems as if its software and android 4.3 or google system service or framework issues. Same problem with older S4 chipsets and jellybean. Google fixed that by updating system files for jelly bean 4.1.2 and 4.2.x. Also the new maps could be the culprit as well since it was updated to a completely new version.
Yes you were, I remember your username now. Thanks skyhawk21! You resolved this for me. I used my N7 for a few hours in the car yesterday, and it was spotty and crappy in clear weather for a while, I did a reset in the car like you mentioned, and everything now has been working solidly since. Thanks again.

The last part is sad to hear. I however have used it for several hours straight with no issues, so I'm hoping it stays strong.

skyhawk21

Mar 26, 2009
It will fix it for awhile but the issues creeps back up.... good luck this new nexus 7 is turning to be into a nightmare, flaky gps and flaky touch screen issues on two fo them now!

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
As long as you only use google maps it seems to work ok.

Once you start using other GPS apps (GPS Test, Gas Buddy, Google Earth) the problem shows up eventually.

It might have to do with multiple apps accessing GPS, but that is just a guess.

I wouldn't bother factory resetting (for the N7 2013 GPS issue). Reboot has always allowed the unit to get locks again (for me) It feels like an OS or driver problem.

Flippy125

Jan 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Reactions: skivvies