GPS problem on JB Rom?

Search This thread

Rasmux

Sep 24, 2012
Miami, FL
Ever since I installed Aopk jb rom on my phone my gps havent come back to life, i went to diff roms like blue kuban and i got now cm 10 alpha 5.3 jb rom still gps not working, some1 help me? Also most roms comes without a voicemail app? Why?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

cd7

Sep 11, 2012
Ever since I installed Aopk jb rom on my phone my gps havent come back to life, i went to diff roms like blue kuban and i got now cm 10 alpha 5.3 jb rom still gps not working, some1 help me? Also most roms comes without a voicemail app? Why?

I've also tried AOKP, CM and JB Roms - liked many of them but GPS was horrible. I even tried the temp el29 to lock GPS then go back but eventually my GPS performance degraded. I finally decided to go back to Touchwiz Rom but I guess all the flashing permanently degraded my GPS. I was about to get a new phone when I tried one last ditch effort. Make a long story short it worked. Here's what I did.

1. Go back to El29 stock Rom
2. Either OTA update to FF18 or manual update FF18 and FH13

GPS works great!

I also used one click Odin to install CWM - one click ff18 Odin: option during then option en for ff18 kernel with agat recovery 4

Finally I updated my modem to FI03 for better 3/4G.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Rasmux

cd7

Sep 11, 2012
Yes, several times with same poor GPS. I also tried different kernels that I liked for battery savings such as Kobridge and Agat but GPS was not as good. So I One click Odin back to FF18 stock with Agat recovery. I think my phones GPS likes stock Rom and recovery. I should mention that my wife's phone had the same issue and I did the same process to fix her GPS. But her phone's GPS works great with Agats battery tweek kernel. She has great GPS and great battery life. Go figure...

themsn

Sep 21, 2007
Yes, several times with same poor GPS. I also tried different kernels that I liked for battery savings such as Kobridge and Agat but GPS was not as good. So I One click Odin back to FF18 stock with Agat recovery. I think my phones GPS likes stock Rom and recovery. I should mention that my wife's phone had the same issue and I did the same process to fix her GPS. But her phone's GPS works great with Agats battery tweek kernel. She has great GPS and great battery life. Go figure...

I too have been having bad GPS issues.

First I was on CM10 alpha 5.1 and I couldn't even maintain GPS signal in the I95 from NYC to Hartford, CT!
I then switched to Codename Android (latest one and what I'm on now) which was a lot better and held signal during a 2nd trip up to Hartford. But yesterday I lost signal going up to Bear Mountain (where I've never lost GPS before with previous phones and so had to switch to my wife's iphone for directions).

So I'm thinking I'll have to make the switch too.

But I wanted to ask cd7 if you've ever tried other TW roms like Calkulin 3.0 or re-Calked 0.2.1 for GPS strength? or am I stuck with stock roms forever in order to have consistent GPS?

thanks!

revamper

Feb 26, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I too have been having bad GPS issues.

First I was on CM10 alpha 5.1 and I couldn't even maintain GPS signal in the I95 from NYC to Hartford, CT!
I then switched to Codename Android (latest one and what I'm on now) which was a lot better and held signal during a 2nd trip up to Hartford. But yesterday I lost signal going up to Bear Mountain (where I've never lost GPS before with previous phones and so had to switch to my wife's iphone for directions).

So I'm thinking I'll have to make the switch too.

But I wanted to ask cd7 if you've ever tried other TW roms like Calkulin 3.0 or re-Calked 0.2.1 for GPS strength? or am I stuck with stock roms forever in order to have consistent GPS?

thanks!

You have to use a temp gingerbread Rom to get a lock.

themsn

Sep 21, 2007
You have to use a temp gingerbread Rom to get a lock.

Thank you for the suggestion.

However, I did do the GPS lock from Calkulin's 3.0 (GB) then flash to the various roms.

I learned that the hard way after not being able to get a signal at all after flashing cm10 the first time.

My problem is that the signal keeps dropping when I travel longer distances (signal is fine when I'm driving around NYC). CM10 alpha 5 was was pretty spotty and would take longer to get a GPS signal. CNA (codename) was a lot better, quick lock and stay locked from NYC to hartford, but still would lose signal in some more rural areas (whereas other phones ie. my wife's iphone or my older LG android phone never had issues).

That's why, like cd7, I'm thinking of having to just go back to a TW rom, but hoping that I don't have to stick with stock forever and can at least use some of Calkulin's stuff.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've also tried AOKP, CM and JB Roms - liked many of them but GPS was horrible. I even tried the temp el29 to lock GPS then go back but eventually my GPS performance degraded. I finally decided to go back to Touchwiz Rom but I guess all the flashing permanently degraded my GPS. I was about to get a new phone when I tried one last ditch effort. Make a long story short it worked. Here's what I did.

1. Go back to El29 stock Rom
    2. Either OTA update to FF18 or manual update FF18 and FH13

GPS works great!

I also used one click Odin to install CWM - one click ff18 Odin: option during then option en for ff18 kernel with agat recovery 4

Finally I updated my modem to FI03 for better 3/4G.