• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

GPS problem

Search This thread

Dean F

Sep 12, 2016
Taipei
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
3 people on this thread have hinted at the problem being near the Sim/SD card door. Either removing the door, squeezing the phone int he area, etc.

Guess what helped me? I removed my SD card ! and the GPS suddenly went back to normal. At least we can all say - the problem is in that physical area of the phone.

huzi7868

Jun 26, 2009
3 people on this thread have hinted at the problem being near the Sim/SD card door. Either removing the door, squeezing the phone int he area, etc.

Guess what helped me? I removed my SD card ! and the GPS suddenly went back to normal. At least we can all say - the problem is in that physical area of the phone.

That did not work for me and does anyone know how to set gps to high accuracy cant find the setting

Reactions: Joa012

strate aero

Apr 2, 2013
Well I've been dealing with this GPS issue too and trying different tips here that work for a while but then the problem comes back. However I just tried another tip I found at talk.sonymobile that seems to show more promise. I cleared all app caches related to location and then put the phone into ultrastamina mode for a while and put it back into normal mode (which restarts the phone). GPS improved right away and so far a day later is working better than before. It's still not high accuracy or quick to lock on but it's better than I've had it for a long time.

albenex

Mar 14, 2013
Caltagirone (Catania)
All software "solutions" are placebo, maybe leading to a slight improve over a definitely low quality signal which is caused by hardware issue.
I too experienced an huge improvement by using custom ROM (unofficial LOS 16.0) but nothing similar to first-year use experience where GPS insta-fix with a rock solid 3m errors showed on GPS Status & Toolbox and similar softwares.

I've also tried various slapping/squeezing "fixes" with no joy..

my phone is out of warranty so i have to choose between opening it seeking for a real hardware fix or mantaining its waterproof feature... very hard choice

Gamer_1

Mar 29, 2020
My problem is volte not working on my phone, so i flashed so many fw-s to work. After i recognized my GPS not working well. My phone didn't find satellite and if find with very low signal.
So i used the XPERIA Companion software instead of newflasher and clicked on the software repair, now the gps working good, in building my phone find so many satellites below 20 second without mobil data or wifi.

Try it, maybe help.

Last edited:

brodo

Hello,

I had problems with GPS reception, too, on my xz1c running HavocOS (Android 10). Since I originally assumed a hardware issue, I bought another used xz1c and checked explicitly that GPS is working fine (quick lock and good accuracy).

Before unlocking the bootloader I did the usual treatment (as described in [XZ1c/XZ1/XZp] temp root exploit to backup drm keys implemented): Downgrading to 47.1.A.8.49 (without persist file while creating a tadump), getting temp-root, backing up TA partition and upgrading again to Pie (47.2.A.11.228). Somewhere along this path I broke the GPS again and it seems to be as bad as on my first xz1c.

Meaning: on good external conditions it can get a lock but it takes very long and the accuracy is bad and also fluctuating very strongly (between ~10m and ~100m). My older z3c gives me 3-5m accuracy under same conditions.

I'm pretty sure that it's not a hardware issue this time. I tried downgrading again, restoring TA partition, restoring tadump, reparing with Xperia Companion but to no avail.
Many ppl reported GPS problems after upgrading to Pie. Could it be that an update (or whatever tampering with the device's firmware) wipes calibration data stored in the persist partition that is device specific and cannot be brought back?

hockeymikey

Hello,

I had problems with GPS reception, too, on my xz1c running HavocOS (Android 10). Since I originally assumed a hardware issue, I bought another used xz1c and checked explicitly that GPS is working fine (quick lock and good accuracy).

Before unlocking the bootloader I did the usual treatment (as described in [XZ1c/XZ1/XZp] temp root exploit to backup drm keys implemented): Downgrading to 47.1.A.8.49 (without persist file while creating a tadump), getting temp-root, backing up TA partition and upgrading again to Pie (47.2.A.11.228). Somewhere along this path I broke the GPS again and it seems to be as bad as on my first xz1c.

Meaning: on good external conditions it can get a lock but it takes very long and the accuracy is bad and also fluctuating very strongly (between ~10m and ~100m). My older z3c gives me 3-5m accuracy under same conditions.

I'm pretty sure that it's not a hardware issue this time. I tried downgrading again, restoring TA partition, restoring tadump, reparing with Xperia Companion but to no avail.
Many ppl reported GPS problems after upgrading to Pie. Could it be that an update (or whatever tampering with the device's firmware) wipes calibration data stored in the persist partition that is device specific and cannot be brought back?
Hmmm, that is an interesting theory and may have legs. I have similar performance between my two xz1c. They run the same rom and get similar GPS performance. Leads me to think it is software like you said. Tempted to buy a new one and play around with it and see. Can we backup the persist partition and restore it?
I have one and it locks instantly. Are you having issues?

brodo

Hmmm, that is an interesting theory and may have legs. I have similar performance between my two xz1c. They run the same rom and get similar GPS performance. Leads me to think it is software like you said. Tempted to buy a new one and play around with it and see. Can we backup the persist partition and restore it?

Assuming the persist partition is the culprit here... GPS should work after flashing a firmware via newflasher or flashtool without persist_X-FLASH-ALL-42E5.sin file. And it breakes after upgrading to a more recent firmware. I haven't tested this though.

Btw I got the idea after skimming through this post where under "6. OTHER PARTITIONS" it says
PERSIST - contains data which shouldn't be changed after the device is shipped, e.g. DRM related files, sensor reg file (sns.reg) and calibration data of chips; wifi, bluetooth, camera etc.

What I don't understand is why the GPS receiver should need such important data (I mean is it normal that a GPS sensor needs calibration data?) which can get lost so easily, even after a standard upgrade procedure like many people here reported.
And if this data is so unique to each device it wouldn't help to restore a partition from a functioning device as far as I reckon.

hockeymikey

Assuming the persist partition is the culprit here... GPS should work after flashing a firmware via newflasher or flashtool without persist_X-FLASH-ALL-42E5.sin file. And it breakes after upgrading to a more recent firmware. I haven't tested this though.

Btw I got the idea after skimming through this post where under "6. OTHER PARTITIONS" it says

What I don't understand is why the GPS receiver should need such important data (I mean is it normal that a GPS sensor needs calibration data?) which can get lost so easily, even after a standard upgrade procedure like many people here reported.
And if this data is so unique to each device it wouldn't help to restore a partition from a functioning device as far as I reckon.
Maybe. I will investigate with the new device. I don't know why all the calibration data would be needed or be goofed up on upgrades. Was the new device you bought new or used? I'm honestly leaning towards hardware again. I've been having issues not locking at all for a few weeks and I fixed it this weekend. What I did was hit my phone on the lower back of the device while holding it from the top ear piece using my thumb and finger. I had to hit it just right and you can tell after the right hit it locked again and can get down to 20ft of error and more hits could screw it up. I mean the gps is still garbage taking awhile to lock but it's usable again. Maybe it's hardware and software. Software that limits the performance/accuracy and a hardware that can further degrade it.

martynas

Dec 6, 2008
I also have same problems for last year. But recently noticed that squeezing the phone in the midle (height) on right side i get back fast and reliable GPS lock. When stop squeezing the signal halves or being lost. As I use GPS only for cycling - now just use 2 clamps on the area when cycling. Looks stupid, but works. When I drive car and use Waze/google maps, than these programs use internal car GPS and also no problem.
PS sent for repair describing the problem (+ to replace battery), paid 70 EUR, received a notice that problem was fixed, but after getting phone back see that GPS was not fixed...
PPS using stock Oreo 8,0...

martin_sz

Apr 30, 2016
I had same issue back in the days - could not lock to satelites.

As it was in warranty I had it repaired - they claim they changed motherboard, battery and display.

Now the problem is starting to appear again.
Does anyone one it is a hardware piece that could be changed - like gps antenna or something like that?

I only found Signal Antenna, but I suppose that is for 3G/4G and has nothing to do with the GPS

hubert-bangol

Jul 3, 2007
I found a hardware problem concerning the not locking of GPS signals.

There is a small piece missing on the GPS side of the motherboard, see the difference on the two following pictures for comparison (broken on the left, correct one on the right).

z3c-1.jpgz3c-2.jpg

To solve this problem, I soldered a small ball on the antenna side, located on the plastic frame:

z3c-3.jpg

After reassembling ... done!!!
The GPS is fixing again, very quickly with high level of satellites.

Reactions: martin_sz

martin_sz

Apr 30, 2016

There is a small piece missing on the GPS side of the motherboard, see the difference on the two following pictures for comparison (broken on the left, correct one on the right).

View attachment 5409739View attachment 5409741

To solve this problem, I soldered a small ball on the antenna side, located on the plastic frame:

View attachment 5409743

@hubert-bangol where is the antenna exactly located - upper corner, lower corner, left, right ?

hubert-bangol

Jul 3, 2007
Ho sorry I just see I posted on the wrong forum, it's not for XZ1 Compact, but for Z3 Compact. But the problem seems to be the same.

The location of the GPS Antenna is showed below:

z3c1.jpgz3c2.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

z3c-1.jpgz3c-2.jpg

z3c-3.jpg

I have the same issue. It usually resolved after slapping the phone. I wonder if the GPS chip or antenna is loose …
    sometimes I can get it working by rebooting but slapping it seems to work better.

Very, very annoying. Otherwise still the best phone ever!
    Can any of you think of any other things that I can try to fix the GPS? or do you think the hardware of my phone is damaged?

I came accross this problem on my XZ1c, but I found a different fix.
    Go into airplane mode and make sure GPS is disabled.
    Settings\Apps & notifications\App info - find Maps
    Force stop - Storage - Clear cache - Clear data
    Restart phone
    Enable GPS, airplane mode off.
    After using apps like GPS locker and GPS fix from playstore, and putting aluminium foil in between the case, I manage to fix GPS temporarily and sometimes after restarting.. This all sometimes not working and as my compact covered with 2 years extended warranty, I just send it t Sony for board replacement..

9 times out of 10 it's down to cached data error

I came across this problem on my XZ1c, but I found a fix.
    Go into airplane mode and make sure GPS is disabled.
    Settings\Apps & notifications\App info - find Maps
    Force stop - Storage - Clear cache - Clear data
    Restart phone
    Enable GPS, airplane mode off.

If that doesn't work use the following service settings number to go in The gps settings :
    on your phone keypad dial *#*#7378423#*#*
    Go into service tests, select gps then purge test data

Or just give some complete stranger teamviewer access to your phone.
    Same problem for me. Everything went well until yesterday. It happened on my XZ1C Pie, then a tried to purge data and clear cache, but nothing. Then rolled back to Oreo and still same problem. Sometimes it works, but more often it doesn't. I use GPS very often and now i have to buy one more device

Same, I also need buy a new XZ1c now. I use GPS often for Strava.... one of my biggest use cases. So frustrating.

That did not work for me and does anyone know how to set gps to high accuracy cant find the setting