GPS SirfIV Tool Development - Disable Static Navigation / ...

Search This thread

tsukeh

Dec 23, 2010
Hi all!
How can i use this solution in Samsung s7710 (Galaxy Xcover2)?

Can you upload the gps library of your device to somewhere, so I can check if there is anything I can do?
It should be named as: /system/hw/lib/gps.montblanc.so

EDIT: Xcover2 GPS library seems to be similar with S2, so I think it's possible to modify... :)

Last edited:

tsukeh

Dec 23, 2010
@iNDEX3
Ok, please try this... make sure it has same permissions as before and reboot.

!!! THIS IS FOR S7710 - SAMSUNG GALAXY XCOVER2 !!!

MD5 of original library: 1d4caca376e093eb972715027fbf33b2
MD5 of modified library: 82bad2522c5c1d3db8203cbea9f64a1b

Attachments

• gps.montblanc.so.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 150

LibertyO

Jul 9, 2013
Hi Gyus,

First of all - its realy nice thread.

I have got the S7710 Xcover 2. I bought it becouse of glonass in order to record my run tracks. Gps is getting fix in seconds, so thats no problem... but the problem is in accuracy.

Im not sure why that happens. Looks like GPS has some miscalculations (approximations?) - creates offsets and cuts corners on tracks (simplifies them). I tried many configurations (also new gps.montblanc.so), but to be honest - no much improvement.

I made a comparison between xcover 2 and my old HTC Legend. One run, two phones. As you can see the HTC is much closer to the actual track while xcover2 is lost somewhere in the forest :). Im aware that the terrain was quite dificult to GPS (hills and forest)... but conditions were equal for both phones. Anyway this has been made on a good weather conditions. On cloudy day Xcover2 can lose 1km out of 10km...

And my question is... it can be fixed or its a hardware issue (for example worse gps antenna etc)?

Attachments

• Legend_Xcover.jpg
    Legend_Xcover.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 229

edzamber

Feb 21, 2012
@ tsukeh,

Hi,

Do you have a solution for i9300 ?

Thanks a lot :)

Posté via Vanilla Rootbox

edzamber

Feb 21, 2012
Ok thanks. Do you need everything in hw folder ?

tsukeh

Dec 23, 2010

edzamber

Feb 21, 2012
I don't know, it was to test if this mod can works on my S3 as far than on my S2...

marc.knuckle

Dec 11, 2010
Birmingham
hey guys.

i am using resurrection remix 4.0.4 currently but installed the patch and sirfIV app while on 4.0.3 and it worked fine. now i am on 4.0.4 i tried to install the patch (i presumed it was needed again but i am not sure as i installed 4.0.4 over 4.0.3 without a wipe) but the flash of the zip failed. maybe i didnt need to.

when going into the app i saw this screen which clearly shows neither white box is clickable, both are greyed out and the error came up saying cant write to external storage.

what am i doing wrong?

Screenshot_2013-07-25-19-09-47_zps4d678048.png

tsukeh

Dec 23, 2010
hey guys.

i am using resurrection remix 4.0.4 currently but installed the patch and sirfIV app while on 4.0.3 and it worked fine. now i am on 4.0.4 i tried to install the patch (i presumed it was needed again but i am not sure as i installed 4.0.4 over 4.0.3 without a wipe) but the flash of the zip failed. maybe i didnt need to.

when going into the app i saw this screen which clearly shows neither white box is clickable, both are greyed out and the error came up saying cant write to external storage.

what am i doing wrong?

GPS Control SiRF StarIV app haven't been updated for a while, so it only works with older GPS libraries.
You should use this, until the app gets an update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    segelfreak2, what you really want is to enable satic navigation and not disable it, as it is already disabled by Samsung. Static navigation disabled means filtering is ON. Static navigation enabled means filtering OFF. It is a common misconception.

Nevertheless, I have developed a tool called GPS Control for SGS2. You can check it out on market. It does exactly what you need. Just remember to reboot after changing Static Navigation config. It requires root access and works only on I9100.

You are welcome to propose any additions you might want in future versions.
    Here is a little script that can be run through CWM recovery (install zip from sdcard..).
    It toggles between enabling/disabling Static navigation and it currently supports those few libraries I have modified. :)
    And here we can see what static navigation is doing with our tracks. On the right side I was running (high speed) and on the left side I was walking (slow speed). You can see that the static navigation feature freezes the track if you do not move very wide within approx. 30 seconds and releases the freeze if you moved a certain distance. This continues until you are moving at higher speeds.
    To generate the tracks the original NMEA data from the SirfIV GPS chipset was dumped every second.

Because of the zoom level you can not see every timestamp, but there IS a trackpoint every second. While at higher speeds they are aligned along the track (right side) the are lying at exactly the same place during the freeze on the left track.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Hello
    I just stumbled over this document: micro-modular.com/docs/AddlRsrc/GSD4e OSP Manual (CS-129291-DC-9).pdf

So, for example on site 119 for example you can see that it is possible to disable the static navigation filter by sending the corresponding Payload Sequence to the SirfIV chipset. The only question which remains is "how can we send these strings to the chipset".

And this is the point where we need some really brilliant XDA developers. If someone would manage to open the communication way to the sirf IV chipset, it would be possible to reconfigure this chipset totaly free.

At the beginning it can be a really simple tool where you have to enter the Start sequence, payload and end sequence which should be send manually. This would be good enough. But the biggest part will be to find a way to communicate with the GPS chipset. Maybe someone knows some good tools to find out how to communicate with the GPS chipset.

I'm very curious on your suggestions.

Best regards,
    Chris
    @iNDEX3
    Ok, please try this... make sure it has same permissions as before and reboot.

!!! THIS IS FOR S7710 - SAMSUNG GALAXY XCOVER2 !!!

MD5 of original library: 1d4caca376e093eb972715027fbf33b2
    MD5 of modified library: 82bad2522c5c1d3db8203cbea9f64a1b