• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Grace UX has appeared on my Note 5 via OTA (Stock Firmware)

Search This thread

TokyoGuy

Dec 22, 2010
Tokyo
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone has actually noticed this already, or if it's actually a new thing. Long story short, I've been missing the Galaxy Note 7 since returning it to Samsung a few weeks back, and today sprung for a used Galaxy Note 5 (SM-N920K) that was actually a decent price and in basically brand new condition. All the more so given that the hardware never even released here in Japan to begin with.

Anyway, after setting up the device, an OTA began to download. The Note 5 was at the time, running 6.0.1 and had the August Android Security Patch installed. The file download was in excess of 600MB however, and I thought something to be odd given that the September and October patches, even together, couldn't be that large. When the phone rebooted, I was absolutely floored to find none other than the Note 7's Grace UX on the phone. This *includes* the Bluelight Filter in Display Settings for reference, something even the S7 Edge has yet to receive.

When I had checked SamMobile earlier, the update details hadn't even been listed in their firmware, making me wonder if this was just released today? For reference it's Baseband Version N920KKKU2CPI1 and Build MMB29K.N920KKKU2CPJ4. Oddly the Kernel Version has a build date of October 24th.

Have I missed something in the past few weeks of Note-worthy news, or is this a major development?
I can take screen captures if anyone wants to see.

Last edited:

TokyoGuy

Dec 22, 2010
Tokyo
Hopefully this works. I am attaching several screen captures to this post.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161124-231623.jpg
    Screenshot_20161124-231623.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 8,211
  • Screenshot_20161124-231642.jpg
    Screenshot_20161124-231642.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 8,376
  • Screenshot_20161124-231657.png
    Screenshot_20161124-231657.png
    199.6 KB · Views: 8,160
  • Screenshot_20161124-231732.png
    Screenshot_20161124-231732.png
    190.5 KB · Views: 7,908

Lafeto

Jun 12, 2012
This is not a common practice by Samsung, for my experiences with numbers of Samsung flagship models, it doesn't even give a facelift Ui for any of its update firmwares, you want new ui then you have to buy a new device, that's it. !!!
I guess tokyoguy may just be very lucky or Samsung has made a mistake by accident.

Reactions: alastairgreen_Nexus

TokyoGuy

Dec 22, 2010
Tokyo
This is not a common practice by Samsung, for my experiences with numbers of Samsung flagship models, it doesn't even give a facelift Ui for any of its update firmwares, you want new ui then you have to buy a new device, that's it. !!!
I guess tokyoguy may just be very lucky or Samsung has made a mistake by accident.

Well the thing is that Samsung is currently working on bringing Grace UX to the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge via the Nougat update. So in this case the company is clearly intending to port the design changes. What I'm trying to figure out is if (1) there was some kind of mistake and I did, in fact, get lucky, (2) all the Korean carrier variants have had this update pushed to the devices, or (3) this update has been floating around for a few weeks now and just no one mentioned it.

wtf!!droid

Oct 2, 2013
mumbai
Its officially released by samsung as usual they release it for in the home country n later they push in other countries so chill guys all the variants of note 5 will be getting the update :)
I think the blue light filter is restricted to note :D after note 7 fiasco samsung is taking more care of their customers

Last edited:

TokyoGuy

Dec 22, 2010
Tokyo
No there is no AOD option present.
Also if anyone is interested more screen shots were provided to SamMobile for their post on the story.

TokyoGuy

Dec 22, 2010
Tokyo
The S-pen settings have been, from what I can tell, changed to those from the Note 7. This means, among other things, that's it's now not possible to modify the sound file played when the stylus is removed or inserted; I never cared for the default option unfortunately.

Reactions: SAVVAS.

SAVVAS.

Dec 18, 2010
The S-pen settings have been, from what I can tell, changed to those from the Note 7. This means, among other things, that's it's now not possible to modify the sound file played when the stylus is removed or inserted; I never cared for the default option unfortunately.

Thanks! So, can you verify if it has the new Air Command with the new Magnify,Smart Select (GIF) and Translate feautures?

gimburg

Mar 21, 2007
Minsk
If so is it possible to find firmware with Official GraceUX to flash through Odin (without ticking Knox) ?
Note 5 N920C

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just had 915mb update and the UX looks like the Note 7. I have a N9208.

Edit includes the December security patch

Sent from my SM-N9208 using XDA-Developers mobile app
    Hey, I'm wondering if anyone has actually noticed this already, or if it's actually a new thing. Long story short, I've been missing the Galaxy Note 7 since returning it to Samsung a few weeks back, and today sprung for a used Galaxy Note 5 (SM-N920K) that was actually a decent price and in basically brand new condition. All the more so given that the hardware never even released here in Japan to begin with.

Anyway, after setting up the device, an OTA began to download. The Note 5 was at the time, running 6.0.1 and had the August Android Security Patch installed. The file download was in excess of 600MB however, and I thought something to be odd given that the September and October patches, even together, couldn't be that large. When the phone rebooted, I was absolutely floored to find none other than the Note 7's Grace UX on the phone. This *includes* the Bluelight Filter in Display Settings for reference, something even the S7 Edge has yet to receive.

When I had checked SamMobile earlier, the update details hadn't even been listed in their firmware, making me wonder if this was just released today? For reference it's Baseband Version N920KKKU2CPI1 and Build MMB29K.N920KKKU2CPJ4. Oddly the Kernel Version has a build date of October 24th.

Have I missed something in the past few weeks of Note-worthy news, or is this a major development?
    I can take screen captures if anyone wants to see.

Thanks! So, can you verify if it has the new Air Command with the new Magnify,Smart Select (GIF) and Translate feautures?