• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Grand Central through myFaves

Search This thread

fattywarbucks

Feb 8, 2009
If I use jf's mod'd firmware, will I still have myfaves functioning as it normally would. I need to continue routing my grand central calls through myfaves or my phone bill will be out of control.
Also, does anyone else have any similar methods for saving minutes.

I appologize in advance for this question not being entirely developmental in nature; feel free to threadlock me at any time(just let me get a yes or no on my question first please ;P)

sinbot

Dec 18, 2008
You don't actually need MyFaves on your phone to use it. You can update and maintain the numbers online so no you shouldn't lose that ability. Also as long as you use a RC33 version than your phone will still have MyFaves installed.

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
If I use jf's mod'd firmware, will I still have myfaves functioning as it normally would. I need to continue routing my grand central calls through myfaves or my phone bill will be out of control.
Also, does anyone else have any similar methods for saving minutes.

I appologize in advance for this question not being entirely developmental in nature; feel free to threadlock me at any time(just let me get a yes or no on my question first please ;P)

I have GC (sorry everyone... no invites) and use it as a Myfaves. You should never have to access your GC account through Myfaves because all of your calls should be INCOMING. Now if you want to place a call there is a GC app which includes a dialer so you can use that instead of the standard dialer. It works pretty much the same except after you hit the send key a message comes up that says "Waiting for GrandCentral to call" and then your GC number comes up as an incoming call. Answer it and then it connects you to the number you dialed. I also have my VM set though it. Settings>Call Settings>Voicemail and set your GC number from your contacts and your done!
The fw version is actually insignificant. I used this method BEFORE I rooted my phone and even used it on my Krzr K1 back in the day.

Kind of a long winded "yes or no" but I'm certain that this answers your question.

aukicadeso

Nov 20, 2008
The name of the GC app mentioned above is G1 Central. Of course you need a GC account to use it. It would be nice if Google ever opened the service up. Nice complement to the phone.

fattywarbucks

Feb 8, 2009
Yeah, I use G1 central to dial out and have all my incomming calls come from my grand central number which is in my myfaves, so I don't use any minutes...ever. I just don't want to lose that when I root.

Thanks for the help.

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
does anyone have grand central invites i would like to give it a try

As far as I know the invites option has been removed. I tried looking for it last week to send some out but it's nowhere to be seen. Google acquired GC a couple years ago I think but as far as I know they haven't done anything with it. It's still technically in a beta stage. There has also been a couple of times that I tried dialing out from the G1 Cental app and it didn't go though. No explaination on why. I checked their site and it said that I needed to "renew credits" to continue. Something tells me that when (or if) Google pulls this off their back burner they will probably charge people for outgoing calls. So I try not to send many of my out going calls through it unless I'm really hurting on my minutes (I only have the 300 min myfaves plan). The best thing about it with the G1 Central app is that you actually have a visual voicemail and you never have to delete the vm messages either. Bad thing about that though is that you have to download the message as an mp3 file which gets stored onto your card and you listen to it like you would a regular media file. That is only if you want to use the visual voicemail feature though. But I love my GC because it saves me HUGE on the minutes and I would gladly pay for the service... but within reason.

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
Men... that's awesome! Free mobile minutes you have... Why didn't I think about that?? Phone proxy, lol :)

Rooting doesn't have anything to do with your Grand Central service.
Heck... you can use Grand Central through your home or office phone if you like.

Here's how it works:

You have your GC number: 555-123-4567
You have your home number: 555-321-9876
You have your office number: 555-111-2222

You give out your GC number to your friends/family or whoever and you set it up to forward to one (OR EVEN BOTH) of your other numbers.

IF they call your home or office then it goes through like regular.

Now I have my voicemail service for T-Mobile as my GC number.
So after 4 rings (or whatever) instead of it going to my VM it goes to my GC number and then gets sent right back to my phone. If I still don't answer then it goes to my GC voicemail.

GC also has a spam filter and a caller blocking feature as well which makes it nice to get rid of telemarkers. If you want to block someone they get a fake "The number you have dialed has been disconnected or is no longer in service..."

Great success! -Borat