General GrapheneOS is available for the Pixel6/6Pro

Search This thread

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
Yeah, I would suspect it wouldn't be able to be rooted since the OS is made to be secure and root is a security issue. I seem to recall that someone might've said about even being able to re-lock the bootloader (and turning OEM Unlocking off after), but not positive.

I haven't found anything on their site about root, but I did see this, which is more evidence that it might not be able to be rooted.

GrapheneOS FAQ
I think CalyxOS and GrapheneOS support root ( I know on CalyxOS users were able to root their pixel, so it shouldn't change anything on GOS if I'm not mistaken) but they don't officially support it and refrain from mentioning it.

Both COS and GOS have verified boot so the bootloader can be relocked after flashing. But I don't recommend anyone turning off "OEM Unlocking" in Dev Options. Unless you work for the CIA, or you're a dissident etc, travelling etc, leave it enabled (speaking from experiencing! ((not the CIA/dissident part!))

But maybe someone can (and should) correct me, but you won't be able to relock the bootloader after root, which again, should be fine for 90% of users.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I think CalyxOS and GrapheneOS support root ( I know on CalyxOS users were able to root their pixel, so it shouldn't change anything on GOS if I'm not mistaken) but they don't officially support it and refrain from mentioning it.

Both COS and GOS have verified boot so the bootloader can be relocked after flashing. But I don't recommend anyone turning off "OEM Unlocking" in Dev Options. Unless you work for the CIA, or you're a dissident etc, travelling etc, leave it enabled (speaking from experiencing! ((not the CIA/dissident part!))

But maybe someone can (and should) correct me, but you won't be able to relock the bootloader after root, which again, should be fine for 90% of users.
It just seems to me, since GrapheneOS is made for security, just relocking the bootloader wouldn't be enough, as anyone could take the phone and re-unlock the bootloader if OEM Unlocking is turned off. I don't know for certain regarding root and locking the bootloader - you may be right.

kash_si

Oct 19, 2014
Hello everyone,

Has anyone rooted their device with Graphene OS installed?
Did it work (Magisk 23016}?
Did you have any major issue?
Yes. You can root GOS.

I have rooted the December release (raven-factory-2021122018) with 23015 & 23016 version of Magisk and the Jan version (raven-factory-2022011009) with 23016 version of Magisk.

As noted by Alekos & roirraW "edor" ehT - I do not disable OEM unlocking (mine is greyed out with the message Bootloader is already unlocked) or disable developer options.

One issue after installing the latest versions of Google Services Framework, Play Store and Play Services. G-Phone is not able to sync Contacts right now. So I will wait for the next update. Temporary workaround - just imported Contacts via .vcf file.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220113-204624.png
    Screenshot_20220113-204624.png
    199.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20220113-210939.png
    Screenshot_20220113-210939.png
    225.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20220113-211208.png
    Screenshot_20220113-211208.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
Yes. You can root GOS.

I have rooted the December release (raven-factory-2021122018) with 23015 & 23016 version of Magisk and the Jan version (raven-factory-2022011009) with 23016 version of Magisk.

As noted by Alekos & roirraW "edor" ehT - I do not disable OEM unlocking (mine is greyed out with the message Bootloader is already unlocked) or disable developer options.

One issue after installing the latest versions of Google Services Framework, Play Store and Play Services. G-Phone is not able to sync Contacts right now. So I will wait for the next update. Temporary workaround - just imported Contacts via .vcf file.
yup, that's what I assumed - thanks for the clarification. It's been a while since modified anything and used Magisk. If you lock your bootloader while rooted with GrapheneOS, I am guessing you wouldn't be able to boot into the bootloader?

Regarding security, I think we have to remember that no matter what Android fork (LOS, GOS, COS or stock) it's the data that's important. Keeping it secure while using Android, and encrypted is vital (and root doesn't change that in this case).

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018

Locked bootloader is only a relevant security measure if the device leaves your physical control because unlocking results in a wipe. However from a security standpoint, if its left your physical control, you should assume it is in some manner compromised anyway and not trust it.

Bottom line, leave it unlocked. If it leaves your physical control, assume it to be compromised.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Yes. You can root GOS.

One issue after installing the latest versions of Google Services Framework, Play Store and Play Services. G-Phone is not able to sync Contacts right now. So I will wait for the next update. Temporary workaround - just imported Contacts via .vcf fifile

Just use davx5 to sync contacts. You don't need to use the gooble backend.

Nate_Lines

Dec 4, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Locked bootloader is only a relevant security measure if the device leaves your physical control because unlocking results in a wipe. However from a security standpoint, if its left your physical control, you should assume it is in some manner compromised anyway and not trust it.

Bottom line, leave it unlocked. If it leaves your physical control, assume it to be compromised.
This might be slightly OT, but I don't entirely agree with you there! In the sense that yes, if the device leaves your physical control, it is safe assume it to be compromise, but there is a difference between losing a device with a lock mechanism that prevents all data from being read at all, and one allowing data retrieval more easily. In other words, if a security expert finds your lost phone, they'll likely be able to access your data anyway, but if a regular person does, a locked bootloader does provide an extra layer of security against them accessing your data.

Last edited:
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
This might be slightly OT, but I don't entirely agree with you there! In the sense that yes, if the device leaves your physical control, it is safe assume it to be compromise, but there is a difference between losing a device with a lock mechanism that prevents all data from being read at all, and one allowing data retrieval more easily. In other words, if a security expert finds your lost phone, they'll likely be able to access your data anyway, but if a regular person does, a locked bootloader does provide an extra layer of security against them accessing your data.

The userdata storage is encrypted.

JJ6543

Dec 30, 2021
apparently you have to initialize the eSIM before installing GrapheneOS
read through this:

also, a few comments up, similiar to what "911Guy" went through:
Hi there, thanks for the info. I reinstalled the stock OS, initialized the sim card (not eSim), reinstalled GOS and everything works fine except I cannot receive MMS or group texts. I can send and receive SMS and can send MMS. I've tried several APNs with no change.

I created a 2nd user and installed Play, Fi, etc., but I'm not sure Fi is working or configured correctly, when I sign into Fi it says the app can only be used to check account info, same as logging onto the website. Not sure this is relevant.

Reactions: Adam00000

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
Hi there, thanks for the info. I reinstalled the stock OS, initialized the sim card (not eSim), reinstalled GOS and everything works fine except I cannot receive MMS or group texts. I can send and receive SMS and can send MMS. I've tried several APNs with no change.

I created a 2nd user and installed Play, Fi, etc., but I'm not sure Fi is working or configured correctly, when I sign into Fi it says the app can only be used to check account info, same as logging onto the website. Not sure this is relevant.
I wonder if its an issue with RCS. When you are on Stock Android, does mms work fine? maybe try this:
messages.google.com/disable-chat

and restart your phone, and run another test. I think you need to use the Fi app, and also make sure you are using the same APN settings you saw when you were in Stock Android.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
How is camera quality of GOS compared to the stock Android on the Pixel-6-Pro?
Did someone test this already?

As in the Netherlands and Belgium the Pix-6-Pro 256GB is not available, I am looking for a solution to buy one in for example Germany. At this moment the best I found was this (999 euro for the 256GB): https://www.telekom.de/unterwegs/google/google-pixel-6-pro/stormy-black-256gb-ohne-vertrag
Other alternatives available you know of?

It uses the same HAL, so the camera works exactly the same. The GrapheneOS included camera application is very new and may seem a little bit primitive compared to gooble's for now, but the image quality is identical.

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Apps & Games
Google Pixel 3 XL
It uses the same HAL, so the camera works exactly the same. The GrapheneOS included camera application is very new and may seem a little bit primitive compared to gooble's for now, but the image quality is identical.
And you can also use the official Google camera (with Network Access disabled) and it works exactly the same as if it was used in Stock Android. It will require either Play Services (Graphene's Sandboxed feature - doesn't require all 3 sections, just the GSF app). Or you can use the gcam spoof service from github. These are required to run Google Camera.

D

Deleted member 11396015

And you can also use the official Google camera (with Network Access disabled) and it works exactly the same as if it was used in Stock Android. It will require either Play Services (Graphene's Sandboxed feature - doesn't require all 3 sections, just the GSF app). Or you can use the gcam spoof service from github. These are required to run Google Camera.
I am happily using my phone without any Google stuff for almost four years now, so this is not an option for me. Though when 96carboard is correct (as I suppose!!) then I do not need the Google Camera to get a good result.

I probably will order a Pro in a few weeks to replace my OP3T, with the idea to switch the OS to Gravity to get rid of Google stuff and add some extra security.

Thanks both!

JJ6543

Dec 30, 2021
I wonder if its an issue with RCS. When you are on Stock Android, does mms work fine? maybe try this:
messages.google.com/disable-chat

and restart your phone, and run another test. I think you need to use the Fi app, and also make sure you are using the same APN settings you saw when you were in Stock Android.
Bye Bye Fi. I tried a temporary number from TMobile and everything worked fine (MMS). I'll be switching my number over tomorrow. One less G product and one step farther away from G.

I was using the same APN settings as stock and yes, stock android worked fine. I also had Fi and Play and all the apps sandboxed but it wouldn't work. I did not try to disable chat, however so don't know if that would work. I'm just happy to have fewer G apps. Thx for the help everyone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

GrapheneOS

The private and secure mobile operating system with Android app compatibility. Developed as a non-profit open source project.

WebUSB-based Installation : https://grapheneos.org/install/web
    CMD Line Installation : https://grapheneos.org/install/cli
    Releases : https://grapheneos.org/releases#raven-stable

This is listed as "Experimental"...
    Most likely not. All of the usual sync features are stripped. Likely because uploading all your data to someone else's computer (the cloud) is the opposite of privacy

From my playing with it (with Play Services installed):
    - The built in camera is meh - Install the Google Camera from the Play Store and it works just fine
    - For editing, install the Google Photos app alongside the camera
    - I spent forever trying to get Google Contact sync to work and failed. Was ready to just import a CSV
    - The Play store is given the permissions of any other third party app store. You need to click Install on the usual pop-up for each app. It is not able to complete installs without user interaction (Huge plus side IMO)
    You can get contacts syncing with some small steps.
    Contacts sync needs the Google Contacts app and sync adapter. Give permission to Contacts app, sync adapter (find it in All Apps), Google Play services, Google Services Framework.

Add your Google account in phone settings, enable sync for stuff you want, and reboot. Contacts app should populate in a few minutes.
    I basically bought my P6P for this, so I'm extremely happy development is moving forward! Really hoping that, when a stable version is out, it will be possible to use the phone "normally" with it. Keep it up, Graphene team!
    Not to sound like a broken record but with no play services do Google Photos and app updates work with that "sandboxed Play services compatibility layer" mentioned on they site?
    yes. works very well (as long as you install all 3 parts of sandboxed play services). I would maybe wait a few days before installing it on the Pixel 6. but using A12 on my 3xl and everything works, photos, gboard, official gcam (all running with network access disabled).

Also, GrapheneOS for Pixel 6 still says Experimental on their download page (it might just need to be updated). But if you're okay with maybe experiencing some bugs, it should work fine (but as stated above, most should wait a few days, they're very good on updating - especially the first few weeks after release)