• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Graphical glitches on A52s (Culprit found)

Search This thread

jenda.69

Nov 23, 2007
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Update: Found the culprit! When the phone is on a 2G network, it happens always when there is any (voice or data) communication and glitches are stronger when the signal is weaker. It's probably caused by an interference and bad shielding of components. Similarly how 2G network makes buzzing sound in radio speakers, on A52s it makes a mess on the screen.
At least one user (bellow) solved it by RMA - sending the phone to service and getting back new/fixed one.

Update 2: Problem fixed. I sent the phone to service center with description how to replicate the issue (phone must be on 2G network, ideally low signal, data or voice transfer is happening). Got it back after 2 weeks. Report says they replaced the display and also battery for "construction" reason (as they described it) and issue seems to be solved!

To conclude: It is indeed hardware issue and is fixed by replacing the display. If this happens to you too, don't wait for software update or anything else, send it to a service for a fix covered by the warranty!

Since few weeks ago, maybe since last update a month ago (security update from 1st October 2021), I'm randomly getting graphical glitches on my A52s.
It usually happens when I wake my phone after few hours of screen off but today I also saw few flashes even when playing a (graphically not demanding) game.

There is colour noise flashing over parts of the screen. It is usually just few random quick couple of 1/100 sec flashes, sometimes it stays a second and it disappears and everything is okay after that.
I also saw noise not covering the screen but flashing instead of wallpaper... Like there's a corruption in graphical memory, driver or whatever.
It doesn't make a difference whether the phone is freshly rebooted or running a week or two.

Does anybody else have this issue?
Is my phone (the memory, screen cable or something else) dying or is ist just a bug in current system update? I don't experience any other instabilities or problems.

(I'd send my phone to RMA but since I didn't find any consistent way to replicate this, it would make just as much of a difference as locking my phone in a drawer for a month.)

I'm appending mock-up screen shots how some of the flashing glitches look.

Attachments

• glitch_mockup_1.jpg
    glitch_mockup_1.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 217
  • glitch_mockup_2.jpg
    glitch_mockup_2.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

jenda.69

Nov 23, 2007
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Huh, I didn't really ask for help, but yeah, that's a good idea with clearing the cache.
I rebooted to recovery and wiped the cache partition.
(I also accidentally hard rebooted when trying different button combos to enter the recovery LOL, so I did both things. In the end I had to enter the recovery using "adb reboot recovery" command because none of the button combos I found worked for me.)

I'll report back in few days whether it solved the issue or not.

jenda.69

Nov 23, 2007
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
It doesn't really feel like screen itself is dying when glitches can appear under the home screen icons in wallpaper or in the application area with status and nav bars being untouched. But I guess it can be; I have no idea how the image on screen is being redrawn.

But it happens especially after phone display is off for longer period of time. The phone then is quite sluggish, presumably because the system paused or killed some apps and is waking them up. And glitches mainly appear then.
That would suggest to me either a system memory being corrupted or something weird happening in the cache, depending on where these apps go when they're paused/killed.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
It doesn't really feel like screen itself is dying when glitches can appear under the home screen icons in wallpaper or in the application area with status and nav bars being untouched. But I guess it can be; I have no idea how the image on screen is being redrawn.

But it happens especially after phone display is off for longer period of time. The phone then is quite sluggish, presumably because the system paused or killed some apps and is waking them up. And glitches mainly appear then.
That would to me suggest either a system memory being corrupted or something weird happening in the cache, depending on where these apps go when they're paused/killed.
Factory reset. Before loading apps confirm if ok.
Then be careful what 3rd party apps you load.
If the reset doesn't work, reflash it to a known good version.
If all that fails it's likely hardware.

gerhard_wa

Dec 6, 2010
The most likely cause is a 3rd party app given right to overlap other apps and this 3rd party app has crashed. Uninstall apps in opposite order of installing until problem is solved. Or factory reset.

Reactions: blackhawk

Bvid

Aug 23, 2016
I have the same problem, sent phone for repair.
In my case, the issue is occurring when phone is on 2g network. You could try going to network and set it to 2g only, check if it's happening, and then set it to 3g and see.
Cheers!

Saky22

Oct 22, 2009
Same problem here...but mostly when I am on 2G network (anyone please try and post results)...Thinking of sending phone to service...will see how it goes

jenda.69

Nov 23, 2007
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Huh, I didn't get notifications for my thread, so I didn't know about all the replies!

I tested different things in last few weeks and I came to the same conclusion - that it only and always happens when my phone is on 2G network. If 2G signal is strong, it's occasional small glitchy line here and there. When the signal is really bad, it just messes up the whole screen - I had my phone ringing with screen being all just noise and mess. So I guess it's probably because of interference similarly how the 2G network connection makes buzzing sound in a radio speakers. Except here it makes a mess on the screen.

Now that I know how to reliably replicate the problem, I'll back the phone up and RMA it after christmas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saky22

tmorgan82

Aug 3, 2012
i have the same problem from the first day, it happens only in 2g signal ...and only if 2g signal is weak... i sent the phone to Samsung , they inform me that they know the problem and it will be fix ..on another update ...it s software problem they told....from this day i have take 3 updates and nothing happened....the phone still have the problem

VirtualGamer20

Dec 14, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Same here, took my a52s to a Samsung authorized repair center, after 3 repairs (the third one being the display change) it seems that the problem is solved. To me, it has nothing to do with software.

abood.mhd

Feb 18, 2015
So, it's a hardware issue, I face the same problem for almost 2 months, and I don't know what to do

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its not that simple...Some people send phone for repair...twice and still not fixed
    And I'm one of them, 3 times exactly, in the first they changed the motherboard, second the display and the third one was caused by the technician leaving some dust under the camera glass. Changing the display was and still is the only solution to this problem, you need to take it to a repair shop and request specifically the display replacement.
    The most likely cause is a 3rd party app given right to overlap other apps and this 3rd party app has crashed. Uninstall apps in opposite order of installing until problem is solved. Or factory reset.
    I have the same problem, sent phone for repair.
    In my case, the issue is occurring when phone is on 2g network. You could try going to network and set it to 2g only, check if it's happening, and then set it to 3g and see.
    Cheers!
    So is it a hardware issue or software?
    So is it a hardware issue or software?
    It was a hardware issue, got a new phone.
    Huh, I didn't get notifications for my thread, so I didn't know about all the replies!

I tested different things in last few weeks and I came to the same conclusion - that it only and always happens when my phone is on 2G network. If 2G signal is strong, it's occasional small glitchy line here and there. When the signal is really bad, it just messes up the whole screen - I had my phone ringing with screen being all just noise and mess. So I guess it's probably because of interference similarly how the 2G network connection makes buzzing sound in a radio speakers. Except here it makes a mess on the screen.

Now that I know how to reliably replicate the problem, I'll back the phone up and RMA it after christmas.
    Its not that simple...Some people send phone for repair...twice and still not fixed
    And I'm one of them, 3 times exactly, in the first they changed the motherboard, second the display and the third one was caused by the technician leaving some dust under the camera glass. Changing the display was and still is the only solution to this problem, you need to take it to a repair shop and request specifically the display replacement.