Sep 17, 2010
Copenhagen
Google Pixel 6 Pro
This was from last evening. Light to medium usage
Screenshot_20211218-173529.png

Last edited:

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
Why on earth are you getting a 3% drain/hr with screen off, and 12.3%/hr with it on?? That's insanely high to me.

When I factory reset and was using my phone from a 100% charge, I would only lose 6.9%/hr with screen on, and 0.6%/hr with screen off.

Sometimes I wonder if the battery drain people experience is legit a bad phone, or y'all are just using high battery drain apps lol.

My 13hr SoT was quite impressive to me as well, as it's something I never had before. I really don't use my phone for very much, but those massive SoT numbers is usually with a 100% battery after a fresh wipe and being on Wifi a majority for two days. I'd have to test it without wifi to see what I can get.

After a while the battery starts to suck and I get a 1% - 1.5% drain/hr after a while, to which I don't understand as I do nothing different. That's usually if I only charge it halfway, but my numbers can vary depending on how much I charge it.

I just wish the battery performed as well as Apple, but it probably never will given Googles track record.
I'm having the same screen drain.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211219-103648.png
    Screenshot_20211219-103648.png
    292.5 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: AKN_92

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
Why on earth are you getting a 3% drain/hr with screen off, and 12.3%/hr with it on?? That's insanely high to me.

When I factory reset and was using my phone from a 100% charge, I would only lose 6.9%/hr with screen on, and 0.6%/hr with screen off.

Sometimes I wonder if the battery drain people experience is legit a bad phone, or y'all are just using high battery drain apps lol.

My 13hr SoT was quite impressive to me as well, as it's something I never had before. I really don't use my phone for very much, but those massive SoT numbers is usually with a 100% battery after a fresh wipe and being on Wifi a majority for two days. I'd have to test it without wifi to see what I can get.

After a while the battery starts to suck and I get a 1% - 1.5% drain/hr after a while, to which I don't understand as I do nothing different. That's usually if I only charge it halfway, but my numbers can vary depending on how much I charge it.

I just wish the battery performed as well as Apple, but it probably never will given Googles track record.

I am not sure, which is why I was surprised to see some of the metrics other users here got with the 6 Pro. I do use Always on Display and perhaps its because I was streaming Youtube music for about an hour?

This is a new replacement Google sent me which I got on November 18th and I set it up as a new device, didn't change much.

The only apps I have are Youtube Music, Amazon, MyMetro app, Chase, Citi, Amex and another bank application, Tapatalk, and Boost for Reddit. The banking apps I open maybe once a month if at all to pay any bills. I use Boost for Reddit daily.

The December update did increase the mobile network usage for me even when on Wifi. I don't always have the best signal in my apartment but that is why I'm on Wifi.

Not sure what Google will tell me at this point. I can try a factory reset and only restore call logs and text messages using SMS Backup and restore which I have always used. I'm really disappointed honestly. I could have just stayed with my 2 year old 4XL but held on to the 6 Pro past the 14 days thinking at least the December update would make it better.

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I am not sure, which is why I was surprised to see some of the metrics other users here got with the 6 Pro. I do use Always on Display and perhaps its because I was streaming Youtube music for about an hour?

This is a new replacement Google sent me which I got on November 18th and I set it up as a new device, didn't change much.

The only apps I have are Youtube Music, Amazon, MyMetro app, Chase, Citi, Amex and another bank application, Tapatalk, and Boost for Reddit. The banking apps I open maybe once a month if at all to pay any bills. I use Boost for Reddit daily.

The December update did increase the mobile network usage for me even when on Wifi. I don't always have the best signal in my apartment but that is why I'm on Wifi.

Not sure what Google will tell me at this point. I can try a factory reset and only restore call logs and text messages using SMS Backup and restore which I have always used. I'm really disappointed honestly. I could have just stayed with my 2 year old 4XL but held on to the 6 Pro past the 14 days thinking at least the December update would make it better.
I would suggest turning off AoD as it does increase battery drain, and if it's not needed while in your apartment, turn on airplane mode or disable mobile data until it's needed and see how that helps.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
I would suggest turning off AoD as it does increase battery drain, and if it's not needed while in your apartment, turn on airplane mode or disable mobile data until it's needed and see how that helps.
I'll try turning off mobile data at home but that would mean I'm not going to receive texts or calls. There's already a bug tracker item for wifi calling not working on pixel devices.

Also that won't be a viable solution when I go back to the office because I don't like to connect to work's wifi.

I had to turn wifi calling off because I was missing calls recently and when people would do three way calls, I could hear them but they could not hear me. I think the three way call thing is also an issue on the tracker.

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'll try turning off mobile data at home but that would mean I'm not going to receive texts or calls. There's already a bug tracker item for wifi calling not working on pixel devices.

Also that won't be a viable solution when I go back to the office because I don't like to connect to work's wifi.

I had to turn wifi calling off because I was missing calls recently and when people would do three way calls, I could hear them but they could not hear me. I think the three way call thing is also an issue on the tracker.
I just want you to test at home if mobile data is a factor for you, not for when you're at work.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
I just want you to test at home if mobile data is a factor for you, not for when you're at work.
Ah alright, makes sense. Right now I'm working from home but with the holidays it should be a light week. I'll try it out tomorrow with mobile data turned off, just wifi only, everything else on as it is now, with some music streaming, like a typical work day and see how it fares.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
So with mobile data toggled off and using wifi only today I was able to end my work day with well over 65% battery left compared to 42% or whatever it was last time. I have about 3hrs 30 min screen time with 60% left.

Idle drain is still there and I think part of that can be due to always on display. It was no longer 3.0% an hour, it was 1.9%/hr today.

Mobile network standby was still high, about 30% in a 2 hour window so I'm not sure if that accounts for any battery drain significantly.

Obviously I didn't buy this phone to use in tablet mode with wifi only so I don't think turning mobile data off every time is a viable solution to squeeze more life out of the battery, and I shouldn't have to do this. Probably missed a bunch of calls and text today too! I'll find out tomorrow or probably sooner when I re-enable mobile data.

Hopefully with the next set of updates something can improve. I never really had such high idle drain using always on display with my other pixel phones either.

Reactions: Lughnasadh

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
So with mobile data toggled off and using wifi only today I was able to end my work day with well over 65% battery left compared to 42% or whatever it was last time. I have about 3hrs 30 min screen time with 60% left.

Idle drain is still there and I think part of that can be due to always on display. It was no longer 3.0% an hour, it was 1.9%/hr today.

Mobile network standby was still high, about 30% in a 2 hour window so I'm not sure if that accounts for any battery drain significantly.

Obviously I didn't buy this phone to use in tablet mode with wifi only so I don't think turning mobile data off every time is a viable solution to squeeze more life out of the battery, and I shouldn't have to do this. Probably missed a bunch of calls and text today too! I'll find out tomorrow or probably sooner when I re-enable mobile data.

Hopefully with the next set of updates something can improve. I never really had such high idle drain using always on display with my other pixel phones either.
Yeah, hopefully future updates will fix the mobile data/battery drain problem for those who have it. Btw, you'll still get calls and texts with mobile data turned off.

Reechings

Jan 22, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro

In dev options you can turn off mobile data always on so when you are on wifi it turns data off.

I had pretty crappy battery life before the December update. Got it and battery life was great. I even set 5G back to the recommended setting, and enable 2G. One day I took it off the charger at around 6:30am, and at 11pm it still had around 38%. BUT, as of Sunday the battery life is pretty much back to where it was. Mobile before the December update seemed to be around 25%, after it was down into single digits. It's now back up to 20-something %... No changes in apps or use. I'm going to change the recommended mobile network back to LTE tomorrow to see what that does. I just can't with this phone...

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
Today I went back on mobile data + wifi and I'm back at the percentage I've been getting since the December update..back in the 40% range by 6pm, off the charger at 7am and roughly 3hrs of screen time. I think I will factory reset it tonight.

If that doesn't help after a few days I'll try and contact Google after the holidays. I've always had Pixel devices so I don't even know what I would go to if I had to sell the phone because I was expecting better results. I guess the S22 Ultra even though I hate Samsung and their UI.

I don't feel like we should have to disable feature like always on display (always used it on previous pixels without issues), or disable mobile data whether its in dev options or in the internet settings menu.

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I had pretty crappy battery life before the December update. Got it and battery life was great. I even set 5G back to the recommended setting, and enable 2G. One day I took it off the charger at around 6:30am, and at 11pm it still had around 38%. BUT, as of Sunday the battery life is pretty much back to where it was. Mobile before the December update seemed to be around 25%, after it was down into single digits. It's now back up to 20-something %... No changes in apps or use. I'm going to change the recommended mobile network back to LTE tomorrow to see what that does. I just can't with this phone...
Maybe sell it and try another flagship like Samsung or OnePlus. I've had some thoughts about using Apples latest 13 Pro Ma as a trial since my carrier is allowing it, just to see how long I could go by doing my every day routine of texts, social media and some light YouTube.

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Today I went back on mobile data + wifi and I'm back at the percentage I've been getting since the December update..back in the 40% range by 6pm, off the charger at 7am and roughly 3hrs of screen time. I think I will factory reset it tonight.

If that doesn't help after a few days I'll try and contact Google after the holidays. I've always had Pixel devices so I don't even know what I would go to if I had to sell the phone because I was expecting better results. I guess the S22 Ultra even though I hate Samsung and their UI.

I don't feel like we should have to disable feature like always on display (always used it on previous pixels without issues), or disable mobile data whether its in dev options or in the internet settings menu.
Sadly Samsung offers more in terms of customization than Google does. I found Samsung to be decent when I first used their S9, I believe it was. I wouldn't mind trying their next phone if Google can't get their priorities right lol. Then again, I think Samsung locks the bootloader or is harder to root in general, I could be wrong though.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
Sadly Samsung offers more in terms of customization than Google does. I found Samsung to be decent when I first used their S9, I believe it was. I wouldn't mind trying their next phone if Google can't get their priorities right lol. Then again, I think Samsung locks the bootloader or is harder to root in general, I could be wrong though.
I know with the nexus 6 and 6p I would root and run custom Roms and I had some friends that developed kernels so I would use those. But since Google came out with the Pixel lines, I didn't need to do that anymore.

I've had the first one plus phone and sent it back when it first came out because it had yellow tint on the screen. Haven't tried them again.

My friend has a note 20 ultra that he has had for a year and he was impressed with my Pixel 6 Pro despite me telling him battery is not as good. He says after 1 year his phone lags a little and has weird UI hiccups and smoothness issues that he didn't experience when he used to have a Pixel.

My brother also had Pixels but this year went to an Iphone 13 Pro max. He loves it and tells me he only charges it every other day. I have too many Google products and I can never get used to iOS despite my girlfriend and my whole family are on it. Its just too plain for me even though it works wonderfully.

Reactions: MArtyChubbs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You could be right, but besides that I'm not sure what could be causing my battery life issue. Even got a new sim card to test out to see if it makes a difference.
    Absolutely not saying some people aren't having issues for some reason, just that chasing after reducing that figure is not the answer. And it can be high or low and the battery life be exactly the same.

You need to find what is draining the battery without paying attention to the mobile standby figure, it looks like a red herring as to the cause.
    Battery seems to be getting much much better as I'm using the phone, phone was on 100% at half 6 this morning and now it's 8 at night with 37% that's with mobile data on all day no WiFi until I took the screenshot I had it turned on
    Screenshot_20211212-202106.png
    Screenshot_20211212-202529.png
    That's awesome! Do you have 5G enabled or is it available in your area?
    5g drains my battery quicker. hence why I disabled it.
    I know with the nexus 6 and 6p I would root and run custom Roms and I had some friends that developed kernels so I would use those. But since Google came out with the Pixel lines, I didn't need to do that anymore.

I've had the first one plus phone and sent it back when it first came out because it had yellow tint on the screen. Haven't tried them again.

My friend has a note 20 ultra that he has had for a year and he was impressed with my Pixel 6 Pro despite me telling him battery is not as good. He says after 1 year his phone lags a little and has weird UI hiccups and smoothness issues that he didn't experience when he used to have a Pixel.

My brother also had Pixels but this year went to an Iphone 13 Pro max. He loves it and tells me he only charges it every other day. I have too many Google products and I can never get used to iOS despite my girlfriend and my whole family are on it. Its just too plain for me even though it works wonderfully.