Question Great battery life!!

Search This thread

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
How on earth do you get 337mah drain with screen on. are you using it on 0 brightness. mine drains 700mah easily with screen on. i also get abysmal deep sleep percentage around the 50% deep sleep. Worst battery on a phone ive ever owned
I have adaptive brightness and have 120hz display running. I'm not doing anything special besides using my phone. I'm big on using chrome and other social media apps with gps based location details, so I can't say I'm doing anything special to restrict the battery in any way. Maybe the apps you use have a higher drain %?

AKN_92

Dec 14, 2021
I use GSam Battery monitor to see which apps are high drainage, and then if necessary I kill those specific apps since they're probably stuck running in the background somehow.

6hrs SoT isn't much depending on how much battery you have. You have a pretty high drainage with the screen off of about 2% idle drain an hour. Ideally it should be about 0.5 - 0.7% hr. Anything higher will cause your battery to drop pretty fast, which is likely the result of some app or unoptimized battery usage in the background. I would do some digging to see what's causing this and it should improve your overall usage.

I have GSAm Battery monitor install too. I can't seem to find any apps that are seem unusual. I'm just lost at what the issue can be. Was really hoping the December update would helped.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211214-180621.png
    Screenshot_20211214-180621.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20211214-180607.png
    Screenshot_20211214-180607.png
    449.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot_20211214-180536.png
    Screenshot_20211214-180536.png
    309.5 KB · Views: 111

ed0214

May 10, 2018
I have GSAm Battery monitor install too. I can't seem to find any apps that are seem unusual. I'm just lost at what the issue can be. Was really hoping the December update would helped.
Same with me i used gsam and i disabled the wakelock for snapchat using adb. Now snapchat isnt cause wakelocks but phone has still has **** deep sleep percentage

AKN_92

Dec 14, 2021
Same with me i used gsam and i disabled the wakelock for snapchat using adb. Now snapchat isnt cause wakelocks but phone has still has **** deep sleep percentage

Is your Mobile Network Standby battery usage super high too, like 20+ percent? I think that might be what's causing the bad battery.

400ixl

That percentage is irrelevant from what I am now seeing.

Before the December update that would be around 9% for me and since the update has been 33%. But the actual percentage of battery used overnight and during the day has not changed at all. Mobile Network Standby % does not appear to be a true indication of anything.

AKN_92

Dec 14, 2021
That percentage is irrelevant from what I am now seeing.

Before the December update that would be around 9% for me and since the update has been 33%. But the actual percentage of battery used overnight and during the day has not changed at all. Mobile Network Standby % does not appear to be a true indication of anything.

You could be right, but besides that I'm not sure what could be causing my battery life issue. Even got a new sim card to test out to see if it makes a difference.

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
The longest SoT I've had was just yesterday, with close to 13hrs. I was mainly on wifi doing a bunch of web surfing and chat.

I know there's been some questions of, who uses their phone to browse websites all day, and I can be one of those people lol.

Other times my battery usage varies greatly depending on how much I charge and use it. I was able to get around 8.5hrs just from an 85% charge with mixed usage of wifi and cellular.
Any advices how I could get that much battery life? Here are my results and their bad af for a 999e phone:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211216-222534.png
    Screenshot_20211216-222534.png
    238.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20211216-222538.png
    Screenshot_20211216-222538.png
    263.8 KB · Views: 85

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
Big test for mine yesterday coming back from Scotland. Off charge at 7am and then an 8 hour coach ride with mixed no signal, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G coverage, i watched a 2 hour film, read flipboard, used Facebook, used twitter, sent messages via Signal, sent messages via Google Messages, listened to some music using Poweramp, got home posted loads of photos on social media (finally back on Wi-Fi) and at 9pm last night i had 40% left and had to put it on charge for the December update.

Mine is fully stock, Wi-Fi left on, Bluetooth is on for Fitbit connectivity and Covid tracing, NFC is on, AOD off.
After the December update my battery life is even better, i had 71% left last night and for the first time since getting it i nearly didn't bother to charge it.

400ixl

You could be right, but besides that I'm not sure what could be causing my battery life issue. Even got a new sim card to test out to see if it makes a difference.
Absolutely not saying some people aren't having issues for some reason, just that chasing after reducing that figure is not the answer. And it can be high or low and the battery life be exactly the same.

You need to find what is draining the battery without paying attention to the mobile standby figure, it looks like a red herring as to the cause.

Reactions: AKN_92 and MrBelter

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
Absolutely not saying some people aren't having issues for some reason, just that chasing after reducing that figure is not the answer. And it can be high or low and the battery life be exactly the same.

You need to find what is draining the battery without paying attention to the mobile standby figure, it looks like a red herring as to the cause.
I couldnt agree more, my mobile network standby for the last 24 hours is 28% and my battery life is as good as it was on my Pixel 5.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
Mine is not any better after the December update. I used to finish work with 50% left by 6pm and now it is usually at 39% or lower. I have given adb permissions to Gsam to see if anything is causing issues, app wise. I set it up as a new phone on Nov 18th and I don't really have many apps installed anyway.

I do see Mobile Network percent used is higher than it was before even on wifi sometimes. But I am not ruling this as the number 1 factor.

Idle drain for me seems pretty bad. Accubattery is saying with screen off (always on display) I drain 2-2.8% an hour. On my Pixel 4XL this Always on display drain was much lower. I have all settings enabled with the exception of wifi scanning which I disabled. I do share location with one person but I don't give Maps location access all the time. Not really sure where to go from here. I love the phone but once I go back to an office where I am not going to connect to Wifi, I'm going to be in a bad state.

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
This isn't showing me much of anything. What apps are you using? What's your cell signal like? Do you have AoD on? Yadda yadda yadda... More details pls.
I'm just using chrome and relay for Reddit. OAD turned off. Two sim cards signal strength is perfect Vodafone.de and O2 Germany. Lots od people tend to suggest to ignore network standby. But man when I see your 13h SoT and I compare it to mine max 4h with this massive network standby indication I just don't know what to think anymore. I have tested this in safe mode and I am loosing pretty much the same amount of battery. Tried to factory reset without transfering anything. This phone is already a replacement since Google considered network standby drain a issue and the offered me a new phone. Adaptive battery and connection on. WiFi scanning off. 5g on. Etc etc.

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here
By a wide margin, my absolute main drain is the cell radio ( LTE at home - and poor at that . . . ) ( 5G at work - The antennas are above my head, on top of the building ! ). For me, I just have to modify my ingrained habits and toggle on the 'airplane mode'

Reactions: skipabeat123

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
I'm just using chrome and relay for Reddit. OAD turned off. Two sim cards signal strength is perfect Vodafone.de and O2 Germany. Lots od people tend to suggest to ignore network standby. But man when I see your 13h SoT and I compare it to mine max 4h with this massive network standby indication I just don't know what to think anymore. I have tested this in safe mode and I am loosing pretty much the same amount of battery. Tried to factory reset without transfering anything. This phone is already a replacement since Google considered network standby drain a issue and the offered me a new phone. Adaptive battery and connection on. WiFi scanning off. 5g on. Etc etc.
Do you have Gsam installed and did you give it battery stats permissions using adb? I did that last night because my battery life also sucks compared to what I am seeing other users on here getting. I am hoping to post some screens later today once the phone has collected enough info. Similar to you I have pretty low signal in my apartment but I am always on wifi here and I for me this is also a new replacement device as of November 18th which I set up as a new phone with nothing transferred over.

AKN_92

Dec 14, 2021

Well, I did a clean factory reset last night. Going to monitor it to see what's going on.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
Here's my stats for the day. Pixel 6 pro on wifi all day, Bluetooth enabled, location on, always on display enabled, 5g on, etc. Wifi scanning off.

Was off the charger at 100% this morning at 7am, it's now 5:30pm and I'm at 41%.

Anything look weird or out of the ordinary? I used to end my work day with at least 60% or more before the December update.

Mobile network usage shows 16-19% throughout the 2 hour windows in battery stats even though I am on wifi.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211217-172446.png
    Screenshot_20211217-172446.png
    455.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20211217-172510.png
    Screenshot_20211217-172510.png
    662.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20211217-172501.png
    Screenshot_20211217-172501.png
    713.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20211217-172548.png
    Screenshot_20211217-172548.png
    454.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20211217-172526.png
    Screenshot_20211217-172526.png
    652.5 KB · Views: 84

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Here's my stats for the day. Pixel 6 pro on wifi all day, Bluetooth enabled, location on, always on display enabled, 5g on, etc. Wifi scanning off.

Was off the charger at 100% this morning at 7am, it's now 5:30pm and I'm at 41%.

Anything look weird or out of the ordinary? I used to end my work day with at least 60% or more before the December update.

Mobile network usage shows 16-19% throughout the 2 hour windows in battery stats even though I am on wifi.
Why on earth are you getting a 3% drain/hr with screen off, and 12.3%/hr with it on?? That's insanely high to me.

When I factory reset and was using my phone from a 100% charge, I would only lose 6.9%/hr with screen on, and 0.6%/hr with screen off.

Sometimes I wonder if the battery drain people experience is legit a bad phone, or y'all are just using high battery drain apps lol.

My 13hr SoT was quite impressive to me as well, as it's something I never had before. I really don't use my phone for very much, but those massive SoT numbers is usually with a 100% battery after a fresh wipe and being on Wifi a majority for two days. I'd have to test it without wifi to see what I can get.

After a while the battery starts to suck and I get a 1% - 1.5% drain/hr after a while, to which I don't understand as I do nothing different. That's usually if I only charge it halfway, but my numbers can vary depending on how much I charge it.

I just wish the battery performed as well as Apple, but it probably never will given Googles track record.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Battery seems to be getting much much better as I'm using the phone, phone was on 100% at half 6 this morning and now it's 8 at night with 37% that's with mobile data on all day no WiFi until I took the screenshot I had it turned on
    Screenshot_20211212-202106.png
    Screenshot_20211212-202529.png
    That's awesome! Do you have 5G enabled or is it available in your area?
    5g drains my battery quicker. hence why I disabled it.
    Sadly Samsung offers more in terms of customization than Google does. I found Samsung to be decent when I first used their S9, I believe it was. I wouldn't mind trying their next phone if Google can't get their priorities right lol. Then again, I think Samsung locks the bootloader or is harder to root in general, I could be wrong though.
    I know with the nexus 6 and 6p I would root and run custom Roms and I had some friends that developed kernels so I would use those. But since Google came out with the Pixel lines, I didn't need to do that anymore.

I've had the first one plus phone and sent it back when it first came out because it had yellow tint on the screen. Haven't tried them again.

My friend has a note 20 ultra that he has had for a year and he was impressed with my Pixel 6 Pro despite me telling him battery is not as good. He says after 1 year his phone lags a little and has weird UI hiccups and smoothness issues that he didn't experience when he used to have a Pixel.

My brother also had Pixels but this year went to an Iphone 13 Pro max. He loves it and tells me he only charges it every other day. I have too many Google products and I can never get used to iOS despite my girlfriend and my whole family are on it. Its just too plain for me even though it works wonderfully.