Great Performance! This thing flies!

Search This thread

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
:good:Yes, this is yet another thread about the TF700 Infinity but this one is to counter all of the negative threads created by folks who come to xda--a developers' site, crying about their laggy Infinity, when all they have to do is unlock, root and mod -- choose from CleanROM 2.3, Clemsyn's OC kernel, Cyanogenmod (official and un), Baked Black Bean, Paranoid Android and others...take your pick!--to make it the fastest jellybean tablet with the highest resolution screen in existance. Come on guys! No more whining. :D

wctaylor79

Mar 11, 2010
I lined up my square trade and unlocked. agree 100% with OP.. this thing is a whole new beast. Not worried if something happens down the road because I lined up my warranty first. Plus needed the warranty in case something tragic like a drop or shatter happens in next couple years. Losing the manufacturer warranty really is minor to me. Not like they would cover if I accidentally shattered the screen.. :) of course as all post IMO.

EDIT. I just got an email from Squaretrade. I can't guarantee this for all, but the email says if you go to their Facebook today 11/1 and like it then enter your email you can get a 40% off coupon. Think about it. 2 yr protection including accident and water cost around $100 to cover a $500 product. Take 40% off that. Unlock your device and have fun. :) . I haven't tried since I already have. Just figured I would share for those that might be able to use it.

One more thing. sorry for the updates.. the small print in the email states that the promotion is from 11/1-11/15. If you do it you will get your code in an email on 11/16. So not instant, but still. Hope this helps someone. Hate to sound like I am selling them.. :)

Last edited:

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Regardless of that, I'm still buying Nexus 10 and throwing tf700 away.

Please, throw it my way if you are going to "throw it away"! Or, better yet, throw it to a developer who can make this device even better!

I'm sure the Nexus 10 will be a great device, but it's certainly not going to be *that* much better than the Infinity. It amazing how many people are making decisions purely based on specs...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

jodvova

Oct 2, 2012
London
Please, throw it my way if you are going to "throw it away"! Or, better yet, throw it to a developer who can make this device even better!

I'm sure the Nexus 10 will be a great device, but it's certainly not going to be *that* much better than the Infinity. It amazing how many people are making decisions purely based on specs...

Well, my decision is purely based on screen res. I do photography I like to enjoy my photos on a tablet with a high-res screen.
I do really enjoy iPad 3 screen, Nexus 10 one is going to be even better.

On a side note, I really hope that Samsung will provide a decent flash memory controller, so the thing flies with a stock rom.

Once CleanROM is available for Nexus 10, I will be one of the first ones to install it ! :)

pierrekid

Oct 23, 2010
Well, my decision is purely based on screen res. I do photography I like to enjoy my photos on a tablet with a high-res screen.
I do really enjoy iPad 3 screen, Nexus 10 one is going to be even better.

On a side note, I really hope that Samsung will provide a decent flash memory controller, so the thing flies with a stock rom.

Once CleanROM is available for Nexus 10, I will be one of the first ones to install it ! :)

Lol seriously? lol some of you guys are hilarious. The tf700 screen is one of the best on a tablet for its size. Looking at the side by side views of the tf700 and the N10..then look EXACTLY THE SAME. Lol at this screen size condensing any more pixels is just novel. You are basically doing what apple fanboys do, see specs and swear that it will revamp your entire experience, when in actuality your just wasting your money... And like J said above, throw you tablet to someone who will make this beast even better!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

jodvova

Oct 2, 2012
London
Man, I would take you comment seriously if not a stuck power button in my TF700.

I had this tablet for only 1 months now and already got a physical damage.

krispy521

Jan 4, 2011
Nashua, NH
I just got my Prime swapped out for a Infinity last week. This thing is like night and day compaired to the Prime. I haven't crashed yet (knock on wood). I'm also amazed that everything works like wifi and gps. Also a little added bonus is the Sd card doesn't stick out, so I don't have to worry about it.

Now if Gameloft and EA Games would just get off their asses and make some games compatible.

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
:good:Yes, this is yet another thread about the TF700 Infinity but this one is to counter all of the negative threads created by folks who come to xda--a developers' site, crying about their laggy Infinity, when all they have to do is unlock, root and mod -- choose from CleanROM 2.3, Clemsyn's OC kernel, Cyanogenmod (official and un), Baked Black Bean, Paranoid Android and others...take your pick!--to make it the fastest jellybean tablet with the highest resolution screen in existance. Come on guys! No more whining. :D

LOL...
Ya can't win either way in these threads.
We understand that manufacturing defects are very frustrating.

I'm completely happy with the TF700T and this is after just about tossing in because of really shi**y performance.
The latest developments for this tablet are just some stunning work!

Remember those guys working out of their garage back in the late sixties building a PC prototype housed in wood. :cool:
Goes to show me the little guy still matters.

Man I'm amazed everyday at the XDA development community and the many who are eager to help the less knowledgeable.

pierrekid

Oct 23, 2010
Man, I would take you comment seriously if not a stuck power button in my TF700.

I had this tablet for only 1 months now and already got a physical damage.

That sucks, but ive had mine for months, use it everyday for school and for games/movies and have no physical defects. Honestly it comes down to how well you protect your tablet. If you are a person who tends to get physical damage easily, then it wont matter wether you have N10 or 700, you will eventually get damage due to your usage tendencies. Sorry man but honestly your reaching now to justify a purchase of the N10 so soon after the launch of the 700. Your never going to be satisfied if you buy products with that kind of mindset... Just my two cents :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
How is the BT audio streaming on CleanRom while streaming Hulu or Netflix? Is the out of sync lag still apparent or is it a lost cause due to hardware?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

ShadowLea

Dec 3, 2010
Enschede, The Netherlands
www.aquilasol.com
I'm using stock everything, but I'm perfectly happy with this tablet.

So, I have to wait 5 seconds when opening the stock browser. Which is exactly what Firefox and Chrome do on Windows, too. Used to it.
Copying files internally is a little slow. Yes. Wow. Ever tried copying 10gb of photos on Windows? ETA about 2 hours on XP, 5 hours with the ridiculous 'calculating' W7 does. Over USB it goes as fast as internally on my pc itself. Don't see the issue.
It crashes maybe once every other week. Again, I'm used to Windows.

WiFi works fine, JB actually improved it for me.
25GB MKV (Timescapes 4K) plays without any lag in MXplayer when on performance mode. 3GB MKV's work fine in balanced mode.
I haven't had any whitescreens, only the very occasional line (three times since JB update when it came out.) and not a single game lags.

Maybe it's because I'm used to WinXP, or I have more patience (haha..), or I'm just lucky, but it works fine for me. And I photoshop, Game (hardcore, not casual), watch videos, type and whatnot all day long. So it's not a lack of use, either.

I do not expect my tablet to do more than my gaming PC. It's a mobile device, not a bloody Quantum computer.

Reactions: Kimonoskunk

Einride

Sep 8, 2010
It crashes maybe once every other week. Again, I'm used to Windows.

If your Windows installation crashes "every other week" there's something wrong with your installation; hardware or software. Maybe you're running Windows 98?

Windows has gotten pretty damn stable over the last few years. It's far from perfect and sure, driver issues can cause reboots, but they're usually solved with a driver update. With the TF700, you're **** out of luck until Asus decides to fix the issue. If they ever do.

If a regular app crashes the tablet running stock rom, it's Asus fault, not the app. As long as Asus is supplying the entire software and driver stack for the ROM, they're the ones to blame for instability issues. A regular app running with regular, limited privileges should not cause reboots.

(This is of course when running stock and non-rooted. If you're testing new kernel modules and it suddenly reboots you're probably to blame for that.)

Honestly it comes down to how well you protect your tablet. If you are a person who tends to get physical damage easily, then it wont matter wether you have N10 or 700, you will eventually get damage due to your usage tendencies.

Really? Manufacturing defects are, what, a conspiracy theory? These things happen, even if you're ever so careful with your gadgets. And don't tell me Asus is spotless when it comes to manufacturing quality and QA, you all know that's bull****.

Maybe the guy actually does throw his tablet around, runs his car over it and lets his dog chew on it. Fine, he's to blame. Or, just maybe, Asus did **** up? Way to go being condescending about it and blaming the person for being careless with everything he owns just because your tablet doesn't have this fault.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
With the TF700, you're **** out of luck until Asus decides to fix the issue. If they ever do.

Actually, not really. Most of the software issues are easily fixed with a custom ROM. So, you're not *really* out of luck until Asus decides to fix the issue. It can be fixed in other ways, without waiting for Asus.

In my opinion, if you are still on the Stock ROM, you are really cheating yourself out of a great experience with the TF700. Sure, it voids your warranty, but honestly, I don't think that I've *ever* used a manufacturer warranty (and I am an electronic junkie!). Usually, if there is a hardware defect, it either occurs within the retail return period or well after the manufacturer warranty expires - at least that has been my experience.

If you are really worried about the warranty, you can get a two-year, cover-everything warranty from SquareTrade for $87. Well worth it in order to make the TF700 all that it can be... The SquareTrade warranty even has you covered if you brick the TF700 due to a bad flash or whatever.

With the TF700, I actually did purchase the SquareTrade warranty since I was a little concerned about a few things (physical button quality, etc). $87 is a small price to pay for two years of coverage, including accidental-damage coverage!

ShadowLea

Dec 3, 2010
Enschede, The Netherlands
www.aquilasol.com
If your Windows installation crashes "every other week" there's something wrong with your installation; hardware or software. Maybe you're running Windows 98?

XP SP3. I game a lot. (Old games, too, hence no 7.) And ever so often, games cause reboots because of terrible scripting or lousy porting.. (Skyrim was ridiculous. It just rebooted every hour, if it even lasted that long. Took them till patch 6 to fix it... ) So does VLC when viewing blurays, because VLC hates blurays. (Common problem.)

SndChsr

Aug 17, 2009
So what you're telling me js that in order to have a lag-free, quick Infinity, I need to forfeit my warranty? Sounds like a great deal.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

Einride

Sep 8, 2010
Actually, not really. Most of the software issues are easily fixed with a custom ROM. So, you're not *really* out of luck until Asus decides to fix the issue. It can be fixed in other ways, without waiting for Asus.

In my opinion, if you are still on the Stock ROM, you are really cheating yourself out of a great experience with the TF700. Sure, it voids your warranty, but honestly, I don't think that I've *ever* used a manufacturer warranty (and I am an electronic junkie!). Usually, if there is a hardware defect, it either occurs within the retail return period or well after the manufacturer warranty expires - at least that has been my experience.

If you are really worried about the warranty, you can get a two-year, cover-everything warranty from SquareTrade for $87. Well worth it in order to make the TF700 all that it can be... The SquareTrade warranty even has you covered if you brick the TF700 due to a bad flash or whatever.

With the TF700, I actually did purchase the SquareTrade warranty since I was a little concerned about a few things (physical button quality, etc). $87 is a small price to pay for two years of coverage, including accidental-damage coverage!

SquareTrade is US and UK only. Also, I'll say it again: having to give up your warranty COMPLETELY (even for issues that are clearly Asus' fault) is unreasonable in my book, especially since you're not given access to nvflash.

I have yet to unlock my device. If I'm to unlock it and void my warranty, I want a (near-)perfect device hardware-wise, which means I'll have to return this one (crap volume buttons, "clicky" display, backlight bleeding, etc). Hopefully I'll also get one with the .26 bootloader which means I can get access to nvflash.

I wouldn't have needed to deal with this if Asus would still honor RMAs for hardware/manufacturing faults even when unlocked.

I'd very much like to unlock, but I'm not doing unless I have access to nvflash at least.

XP SP3. I game a lot. (Old games, too, hence no 7.) And ever so often, games cause reboots because of terrible scripting or lousy porting.. (Skyrim was ridiculous. It just rebooted every hour, if it even lasted that long. Took them till patch 6 to fix it... ) So does VLC when viewing blurays, because VLC hates blurays. (Common problem.)

If Skyrim crashes your computer, it's the OS and/or drivers that are to blame. A regular application running in user mode/ring 3 should not be able to crash the entire system. That's why there are kernel and user modes: to avoid this (and security issues). Of course, buggy drivers (very common nowadays, sadly) ruins this where a game can crash the driver and cause a reboot/BSOD. Now, I'm not saying Skyrim was perfect, but in an ideal world, their bugs should not cause reboots :p

My previous post was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek response though, sorry about that. My point is though, that while you expect your PC setup to crash every now and then, it should not be expected of a device like the TF700. Fixed hardware, fixed software. (Again, not valid if you're running custom ROMs or kernels).

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
So what you're telling me js that in order to have a lag-free, quick Infinity, I need to forfeit my warranty? Sounds like a great deal.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

No, you don't *have* to - the TF700 actually runs OK on stock if you ask me. But, yes, if you want the TF700 to perform as well as it possibly can, then you'll need to unlock and install a custom ROM (which will void the warranty). Best bet is to get a third-part warranty. Well worth the $87, in my opinion (even less if you go for a one year warranty, I'm assuming - $87 is for a two year warranty that includes accidental damage coverage, as long as you use a coupon).

In the end, what good is a warranty on a device that you are not happy with anyway?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

LOL...
    Ya can't win either way in these threads.
    We understand that manufacturing defects are very frustrating.

I'm completely happy with the TF700T and this is after just about tossing in because of really shi**y performance.
    The latest developments for this tablet are just some stunning work!

Remember those guys working out of their garage back in the late sixties building a PC prototype housed in wood. :cool:
    Goes to show me the little guy still matters.

Man I'm amazed everyday at the XDA development community and the many who are eager to help the less knowledgeable.
    I lined up my square trade and unlocked. agree 100% with OP.. this thing is a whole new beast. Not worried if something happens down the road because I lined up my warranty first. Plus needed the warranty in case something tragic like a drop or shatter happens in next couple years. Losing the manufacturer warranty really is minor to me. Not like they would cover if I accidentally shattered the screen.. :) of course as all post IMO.

EDIT. I just got an email from Squaretrade. I can't guarantee this for all, but the email says if you go to their Facebook today 11/1 and like it then enter your email you can get a 40% off coupon. Think about it. 2 yr protection including accident and water cost around $100 to cover a $500 product. Take 40% off that. Unlock your device and have fun. :) . I haven't tried since I already have. Just figured I would share for those that might be able to use it.

One more thing. sorry for the updates.. the small print in the email states that the promotion is from 11/1-11/15. If you do it you will get your code in an email on 11/16. So not instant, but still. Hope this helps someone. Hate to sound like I am selling them.. :)
    Regardless of that, I'm still buying Nexus 10 and throwing tf700 away.

OP and every other positive reply fully endorsed! :good::good:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone