Green Tint Screen: Are you affected?

Search This thread

neverborn

Aug 9, 2010
I did. Luckily I got it replaced the very next day even if I *did* have to waste maybe 4 hours on the whole replacement process.
It was so bad that even on normal brightness you could see the green tinge on everything that was supposed to be black, or very dark grey.

Apparently there are reports that the green-tint issue is manifested on the Snapdragon version as well as the Tab S7 and S7+.
Reported here:
Reddit
SamMobile

Are you affected?

warriorvibhu

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
Just green tint? Mine was being a little yellowish so i reduced the color temperature then there was green tint and finally today i decided to compare my note 8 and the screen is not even as sharp as my 3 year old note 8. I am on support chat in the process to return it. This one is 512 GB U1 Variant.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
The smaller chipsets and components Samsung will substitute as availability/demand dictates.
This can cause one or more to be out spec and/or the firmware and/or updates to behave unpredictably.
Worse it seems the only way Sambert knows which part was actually used sometimes is to physically inspect the device. So if it's a firmware bug Samsung still can't remotely remedy it... perfect.
Using multiple main chipsets and firmware versions in the same model only adds to this confusion.
A lot of room for error... in a box full of rabid gerbils, what could go wrong?

roryh86

Dec 27, 2010
Just green tint? Mine was being a little yellowish so i reduced the color temperature then there was green tint and finally today i decided to compare my note 8 and the screen is not even as sharp as my 3 year old note 8. I am on support chat in the process to return it. This one is 512 GB U1 Variant.

Note 20 Ultra has a 6.9-inch display (496 ppi) when you have the resolution at WQHD+.
Note 8 has a 6.3-inch display (521 ppi) when you have the resolution at WQHD+.

Shouldn't be able to see any difference at that PPI level.
Did you have both phones on the same resolution when you were comparing?

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
Note 20 Ultra has a 6.9-inch display (496 ppi) when you have the resolution at WQHD+.
Note 8 has a 6.3-inch display (521 ppi) when you have the resolution at WQHD+.

Shouldn't be able to see any difference at that PPI level.
Did you have both phones on the same resolution when you were comparing?
Yes i did, i was thinking about the PPI, probably that is making the difference in sharpness but i am not sure about the contrast difference.

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
Hmm. It looks pretty sharp to me in FHD+ from holding distance, WQHD+ is razor sharp. Maybe don't put the Note 8 next to it :p
Trust me i didnt for a whole month but then when you pay 1500+ no discounts nothing and then you see your 3 year old phone holding its own, you want to question things, dont you. BTW just for fun sake here is a shot taken at exact same moment from Note 8 and Note 20 for side by side comparison.
Spot the difference 3 Year old phone vs latest 2020 flagship :)
Edit- For some reason for the fs sake i am not able to rotate the other image LOL

Attachments

• Note8.jpg
    Note8.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Note20.jpg
    Note20.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

roryh86

Dec 27, 2010
Trust me i didnt for a whole month but then when you pay 1500+ no discounts nothing and then you see your 3 year old phone holding its own, you want to question things, dont you. BTW just for fun sake here is a shot taken at exact same moment from Note 8 and Note 20 for side by side comparison.
Spot the difference 3 Year old phone vs latest 2020 flagship :)
Edit- For some reason for the fs sake i am not able to rotate the other image LOL

Cute dog! haha.
Yeah of course, you don't want to be disappointed in anything with a new phone costing 1000 pounds. I think the differences year to year are going to become smaller and smaller, and a 2 or 3 year old flagship is still going to be amazing. Photos can only become so good at a point.
I think the resolution comment though, the PPI is negligible and not worth bumping the PPI to match Note 8, that would bring the resolution over 3K and probably lead to even more battery drain. But it could be a software difference as well and things are smoother on the Note 20U.
Back when I used to flash custom roms i remember some roms would appear sharper than others, so software can have an effect.

Anyway, yeah the photos look very similar. Fur is bit sharper on the N20U. Was that night mode?

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
Cute dog! haha.
Yeah of course, you don't want to be disappointed in anything with a new phone costing 1000 pounds. I think the differences year to year are going to become smaller and smaller, and a 2 or 3 year old flagship is still going to be amazing. Photos can only become so good at a point.
I think the resolution comment though, the PPI is negligible and not worth bumping the PPI to match Note 8, that would bring the resolution over 3K and probably lead to even more battery drain. But it could be a software difference as well and things are smoother on the Note 20U.
Back when I used to flash custom roms i remember some roms would appear sharper than others, so software can have an effect.
Anyway, yeah the photos look very similar. Fur is bit sharper on the N20U. Was that night mode?
The dog really appreciated the Cute dog comment and says thanks. The picture from N20U1 definitely looks sharper, no it wasnt night mode just took a quick one on auto settings. Night mode is really good and even better on the gcam (Trust me the software processing on goggle cam night mode is amazing). I will take a comparison shot tonight when i go out and post something tomorrow, where i am there is still 8 hours until i go out for that night shot.

Mrplennium

Oct 20, 2007
Here's what you do if you really want to spot the difference. Activate chrome and YouTube dark mode on both the note 20 ultra and note 8. You'll see that the blacks are deeper on the note 8. The black on the note 20 ultra looks a bit yellowish in comparison. But funny enough, It only looks yellowish if you compare. If you don't compare, it'll seem just fine. That's why I've been saying it's not bad, but it's definitely not as contrasty and punchy as previous notes. But by no means is it horrible...and it's true, cute dog lol

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
Here's what you do if you really want to spot the difference. Activate chrome and YouTube dark mode on both the note 20 ultra and note 8. You'll see that the blacks are deeper on the note 8. The black on the note 20 ultra looks a bit yellowish in comparison. But funny enough, It only looks yellowish if you compare. If you don't compare, it'll seem just fine. That's why I've been saying it's not bad, but it's definitely not as contrasty and punchy as previous notes. But by no means is it horrible...and it's true, cute dog lol
True mine was a little greenish i fixed those by going to Display>>Screen Mode>> Advanced Settings>> and turned the green all the way down . Also thanks from the pooch. :)

Mrplennium

Oct 20, 2007
The dog really appreciated the Cute dog comment and says thanks. The picture from N20U1 definitely looks sharper, no it wasnt night mode just took a quick one on auto settings. Night mode is really good and even better on the gcam (Trust me the software processing on goggle cam night mode is amazing). I will take a comparison shot tonight when i go out and post something tomorrow, where i am there is still 8 hours until i go out for that night shot.

True mine was a little greenish i fixed those by going to Display>>Screen Mode>> Advanced Settings>> and turned the green all the way down . Also thanks from the pooch. :)

Lol the pooch is welcome! :laugh: But I did the same thing as well too. Turned the green and red all the way down and the blue all the way up. It really does make a difference, but you can still see the the note 8, 9, s10 plus..etc has a deeper black. You can compare and see. Maybe Samsung needs to adjust the sRGB mode or something. Hopefully the next software may soothe this a little. Again, not a huge deal. It almost looks like blue filter on at an extremely low rate.

VonSohn

Dec 11, 2013
I have uneven brightness, specially at the bottom and right side of the screen, and banding when brightness is set to really low. Just look at it.

I've already asked for a replacement.20200925_090338.jpg

Sent from my SM-N985F using Tapatalk

Mrplennium

Oct 20, 2007
What background app are you viewing that on? Mine doesn't look like that. I use dead pixel to look at how even the Whites and grays are displayed. When I turn the brightness all the way down and open an empty page in chrome's dark mode, I do notice coloration, but it's more leaning towards being even. Let us know how the return unit fairs. I've looked at 3 different models with the yellowish overtone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Apparently there are reports that the green-tint issue is manifested on the Snapdragon version as well as the Tab S7 and S7+.
    Reported here:
    Reddit
    SamMobile

Are you affected?