Green Tint Screen: Are you affected?

Search This thread

warriorvibhu

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
Guys has anyone compare 2 different Note 20 Ultras side by side?

The fact that i spoke to Samsung and they wanted me to go to service center to see if my unit should be replaced makes me question that what if some units are actually faulty? While i appreciate the sense of humor but to me it feels like green tint or any tint is for sure a problem, if all units are like that my be Samsung will fix it with update but if all are not like that then Samsung is definitely selling some defective units. Any thoughts ?

HELP NEEDED - See Attached screenshot on left is Note 8 and on right is Note20 Ultra btw on Note 20 Ultra i have moved the slider to cool color (Blue all the way) and the green Slider all the way to the left and this result is after that. Any insight will help if you guys think its worth the hassle to replace or if you think it is as expected and i am just nitpicking.

Thanks for the response

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Guys has anyone compare 2 different Note 20 Ultras side by side?

The fact that i spoke to Samsung and they wanted me to go to service center to see if my unit should be replaced makes me question that what if some units are actually faulty? While i appreciate the sense of humor but to me it feels like green tint or any tint is for sure a problem, if all units are like that my be Samsung will fix it with update but if all are not like that then Samsung is definitely selling some defective units. Any thoughts ?

HELP NEEDED - See Attached screenshot on left is Note 8 and on right is Note20 Ultra btw on Note 20 Ultra i have moved the slider to cool color (Blue all the way) and the green Slider all the way to the left and this result is after that. Any insight will help if you guys think its worth the hassle to replace or if you think it is as expected and i am just nitpicking.

Thanks for the response

Get it looked at. Could be a hardware issue on some of the production runs.
It's impossible to dial in screen calibration by eye; something will always be off. Remember there's gamma correction on top of all the other parameters.

coilbio

Apr 22, 2011
I believe all 20ultras have this problem, I went to best buy and tried all of their displays from all their carriers and they all have banding and green tint.

My best friend is a regional manager for T-Mobile and he says he's seen them all like that as well.

either people aren't acute enough to see it on theirs or don't know how to replicate the conditions, or recognize what were talking about.

If you guys want an easy way to see the discoloration and banding with green tint, use Google's messages, go to a conversation thread, click search and drop the keyboard down, that's a perfect background to see all of the issues.

Last edited:

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
Get it looked at. Could be a hardware issue on some of the production runs.
It's impossible to dial in screen calibration by eye; something will always be off. Remember there's gamma correction on top of all the other parameters.
Ahh i was hoping to be lazy as* and not have to go anywhere. Thanks for the response :)
I believe all 20ultras have this problem, I went to best buy and tried all of their displays from all their carriers and they all have banding and green tint.
My best friend is a regional manager for T-Mobile and he says he's seen them all like that as well.
either people aren't acute enough to see it on theirs or don't know how to replicate the conditions, or recognize what were talking about.
If you guys want an easy way to see the discoloration and banding with green tint, use Google's messages, go to a conversation thread, click search and drop the keyboard down, that's a perfect background to see all of the issues.
Thanks for the response, this is kind of reassuring which means Samsung might be able to somewhat fix it by issuing an update just like they did for S20 series.

BTW did anyone else notice how useless is their tech support esp if you are anything above basic level user their chats/calls hardly ever solve an issue. Their solution to everything is factory reset. like yeah if i wanted to lose my data why would i reach out to you dumbo. LOL :D

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You are welcome.
For this price tag a goofy display is unexceptable.
At least make Samsung feel your pain.
The South Koreans don't take criticism well... it's actually sort of fun in a demented way.
Samsung tech support is the worst; the US based reps are the best of the lot, SK ones are the worst.

I've been eyeballing this model as a possible upgrade but between issues like this and Q's nasty habits it looks like I'll stick with the 10+/Pie for now.

Last edited:

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
You are welcome.
For this price tag a goofy display is unexceptable.
At least make Samsung feel your pain.
The South Koreans don't take criticism well... it's actually sort of fun in a demented way.
Samsung tech support is the worst; the US based reps are the best of the lot, SK ones are the worst.
I've been eyeballing this model as a possible upgrade but between issues like this and Q's nasty habits it looks like I'll stick with the 10+/Pie for now.
If you have 10+ and really want an honest advise i would say wait for the next year version. I was on Note 8 so i upgraded also because i couldnt get Oppo Find X2 Pro with all the proper band support here in US.
Now i do know the excitement for new phone but you are right, i paid over 1500 with taxes for this phone and i could not redeem any freebies like spotify or xbox thing (I already have plenty controllers, why buy more) all i got was free headset (Which should have been in the box at this price. Man it seems they just rushed this phone plenty other phones take so much better portrait mode pictures and many other pictures are good. the 5x zoom is not good at all looks like they used ****ty lenses over their camera.

Oh and yeah not comfortable in the pocket, i am constantly worried about scratching camera or screen and with a case its even bulkier whereas note 8 and note 9 are amazing in hand. Fingerprint sensor is very slow (Whoever tells you otherwise has not used better ones). Screen Unlock is also buggy, a short swipe wont unlock, answering calls is also bad, like why the F do i need to make a long ass swipe even a simple tap on answer button should answer the call (This wont be noticeable if the screen was smaller, but on this one it very much is).

The screen often times jitters (Now i dont know why no one is talking about it). I dont care about your adaptive display bull crap if my experience on a $1500 phone is jittery, i dont want it. The transition between refresh rates is not good, so i am keeping it at 60 Hz (whats the point of 120 hz then). i rejected some good phones coz they had 60 Hz refresh rate (Sony Xperia 1 ii).

I am seriously considering sending it back too bad tmobile didnt have a 128GB Note 8 when i got it and hence i have a 64GB one, never would have gotten this piece of crap otherwise. Also look at DxoMark review, now they arent authority on Camera test nor are they unbiased but they are very extensive and elaborate when it comes to testing. So there is my honest feedback ...

Last edited:

tainka

Aug 7, 2011

did you see a green tint on white or light grey background also on like 40% brightness? I belive that the green tint visible also on white and light grey... did you see it on those units?

Last edited:

Mrplennium

Oct 20, 2007
did you see a green tint on white or light grey background also on like 40% brightness? I belive that the green tint visible also on white and light grey... did you see it on those units?

I've been saying this for a long time that the if you look at YouTube or chrome in dark mode, there is a yellowish/possibly greenish overtone. It does make white pages look whiter, but you can tell it's because of the tint (doesn't bother me at all on white pages though). It looks like blue light filter is on at an "extremely" "extremely" low level. It's not horrible at all, but it you compare it to previous devices like the note 10 plus or s10 plus, you'll notice a difference. Samsung may need to adjust the rgb levels on the device. Hopefully the night mode update they pushed addressed this. Yet to be seen since I don't have the update yet.

tainka

Aug 7, 2011
I've been saying this for a long time that the if you look at YouTube or chrome in dark mode, there is a yellowish/possibly greenish overtone. It does make white pages look whiter, but you can tell it's because of the tint (doesn't bother me at all on white pages though). It looks like blue light filter is on at an "extreme

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
I've been saying this for a long time that the if you look at YouTube or chrome in dark mode, there is a yellowish/possibly greenish overtone. It does make white pages look whiter, but you can tell it's because of the tint (doesn't bother me at all on white pages though). It looks like blue light filter is on at an "extremely" "extremely" low level. It's not horrible at all, but it you compare it to previous devices like the note 10 plus or s10 plus, you'll notice a difference. Samsung may need to adjust the rgb levels on the device. Hopefully the night mode update they pushed addressed this. Yet to be seen since I don't have the update yet.
But in light mode? Can you see tint when you tilt the screen?

coilbio

Apr 22, 2011

Yeah, of course. I have to carry my note 9 and 10+, I have 3 phone lines. Set them side by side to the n20u and the difference is extremely noticeable.
Its not just a little smidge greener, the 120hz mode is like a green filter mode over the screen.

tainka

Aug 7, 2011
Yeah, of course. I have to carry my note 9 and 10+, I have 3 phone lines. Set them side by side to the n20u and the difference is extremely noticeable.
Its not just a little smidge greener, the 120hz mode is like a green filter mode over the screen.

I can see the tint in light mode and on 60 hz also... On lower half of the screen when i tilt the screen a little bit... They all like this?

coilbio

Apr 22, 2011
I can see the tint in light mode and on 60 hz also... On lower half of the screen when i tilt the screen a little bit... They all like this?

Yes but it's not any worse than other OLED screens.
OLEDs do have color shifting when tilted at an angle. If I tilt the phone at any unnatural angle the shift in color is natural.
OLED won't have the viewing angles of IPS LCD.

tainka

Aug 7, 2011
Yes but it's not any worse than other OLED screens.
OLEDs do have color shifting when tilted at an angle. If I tilt the phone at any unnatural angle the shift in color is natural.
OLED won't have the viewing angles of IPS LCD.
Also when I put the phone in landscape mode, and scroll posts on facebook, when i see answers from people writen on grey background, on one side of the screen, the greys are a little bit darker than on the other side... Or greenish... Or have some sort of tint... It drives me crazy... Do not know if it is normal...

icbless

Dec 3, 2010
i have this problem recently, unfortunately i didnt take a photo of it.
Even at max brightness i still see the green tint across my screen (vertical) and a black round patch near the finger print sensor.

I have email samsung about this and they ask me to do a soft reset (power key + down button)
currently the issue has...been solved? i guess.
I dont see any more of the green tint after soft reset. Is this software or hardware related???

tainka

Aug 7, 2011
i have this problem recently, unfortunately i didnt take a photo of it.
Even at max brightness i still see the green tint across my screen (vertical) and a black round patch near the finger print sensor.

I have email samsung about this and they ask me to do a soft reset (power key + down button)
currently the issue has...been solved? i guess.
I dont see any more of the green tint after soft reset. Is this software or hardware related???

I did a full reset and the tint still there... dont know if it software or hardware......

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Last edited:

coilbio

Apr 22, 2011

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Apparently there are reports that the green-tint issue is manifested on the Snapdragon version as well as the Tab S7 and S7+.
    Reported here:
    Reddit
    SamMobile

Are you affected?