Group Messaging never ending torment.

Search This thread

Flattopa

Mar 18, 2015
Hi. I despise the stock messaging app on my H810 Att LG G4. Sometimes I will get anonymous messages with nothing to download. Other times I will be prompted to retry to download an MMS over and over. I feel I am missing out on texts from my friends and family. I checked APN settings, called ATT, and even had a replacement phone shipped. I have tried multiple 3rd party apps. Textra intermittently works, but I constantly get a notification to "Cant retrieve MMS recheck APN settings". Group message has people with iphones and other carreirs, but I can't believe a basic functionality is so buggy. Do any of you have any tips to solve this issue.?

Darth_Munkee

Aug 6, 2011
Burlington NC
Try a different messaging app. I loaded up Google Messenger just to check it our and have been using it as my main SMS and MMS app since. On my last phone I used Hangouts and between the two I prefer Messenger but I still use Hangouts a lot for non-SMS/MMS messaging. Outside of those there are a ton of options out there with good reviews like Textra and QKSMS. Look around and find one with the features you like.

Flattopa

Mar 18, 2015
Thanks for the help. I have tried multiple other apps though. Textra will fail at receiving mms too. Get the notification (Cant retrieve mms check apn).

jiggyb21

Mar 25, 2013
The same exact thing happened to me, there's a thread somewhere.... Nothing useful inside it though. I ended up doing a factory reset and it worked. I was pretty sure it was something I blocked via debloater causing the issue.

phineous

Aug 22, 2009
I believe there's two packages, one each from LG and Qualcomm related to messaging.
Also, ad blockers can block messaging, but changing the mms port in the apn to 8080 seems to fix it.

Flattopa

Mar 18, 2015
I believe there's two packages, one each from LG and Qualcomm related to messaging.
Also, ad blockers can block messaging, but changing the mms port in the apn to 8080 seems to fix it.

I've gone through the entire ATT help service even got a new phone. THeir resposne was oh well unfortunately android doesn't communicate well with ios sometimes and it isn't your phone causing an issue so basically you have to just suck it up. We are "working" on a patch for the latest version of android. Bull***. Anyway they won't fix my service and won't allow me get a different phone unless I pay off the remainder of the balance AKA $600 when the damn thing has been discounted to 500 by some carriers. I'll try the new MMS apn port and hopefully it work.s Apparently they said that my mms are timing out and not being pushed to my phone for some reason.

phineous

Aug 22, 2009
I've gone through the entire ATT help service even got a new phone. THeir resposne was oh well unfortunately android doesn't communicate well with ios sometimes and it isn't your phone causing an issue so basically you have to just suck it up. We are "working" on a patch for the latest version of android. Bull***. Anyway they won't fix my service and won't allow me get a different phone unless I pay off the remainder of the balance AKA $600 when the damn thing has been discounted to 500 by some carriers. I'll try the new MMS apn port and hopefully it work.s Apparently they said that my mms are timing out and not being pushed to my phone for some reason.

Have support transfer you to retention and say T-Mobile is offering you a better deal.
It's worth a shot, although there were some people in the T-Mobile threads complaining about messaging too.

nv83

Sep 25, 2010
Did you ever find a resolution to this? I have the same problem and know I am sporadically missing out on messages. Truly infuriating. Tried different APN settings, different apps, having AT&T "re-registering me on the network". Unbelievable that this is a known issue with basic phone functionality that LG and AT&T haven't addressed.