• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

GRUB2 for lumias

Search This thread

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
wlxdev.blogspot.com
What does it do anyway??
It is a multiboot bootloader. You can look it up and read more about it if you search GNU Grub on the internet.

It is the bootloader of choice normally for linux distros. Ever installed a dual boot Windows/Ubuntu system, and have seen the boot menu appear to choose between Windows and Ubuntu?

maruf8

Feb 11, 2015
Rajshahi
It is a multiboot bootloader. You can look it up and read more about it if you search GNU Grub on the internet.

It is the bootloader of choice normally for linux distros. Ever installed a dual boot Windows/Ubuntu system, and have seen the boot menu appear to choose between Windows and Ubuntu?

Oh yeah!! Now i got you?? So can we use it to dual boot android and windows in lumia??

jethro tarw

Jan 13, 2018
I have MainOS and EFIESP mounted on a PC, how do I install grub onto the image?

-mounted using osfmount and extracted from the ffu.

-edit: figured it out.

Last edited:

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
What do you mean by that?

That was an irony. Currently and in the future, there is no need of GRUB or any other bootloader for this almost dead platform, no one will port Android or any other OS'es for Lumias, it has practically no sense at all and almost impossible (because of lack of drivers source code etc.)

Reactions: gabryel04

maruf8

Feb 11, 2015
Rajshahi
That was an irony. Currently and in the future, there is no need of GRUB or any other bootloader for this almost dead platform, no one will port Android or any other OS'es for Lumias, it has practically no sense at all and almost impossible (because of lack of drivers source code etc.)

Hmm.. You're right... But I'll keep my lumia as a digital camera ?

Reactions: gabryel04

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
wlxdev.blogspot.com
My bricked 530 cant go in mass storage mode. I will try to mount efiesp.bin and apply grub inside, then flash this partition.
For your bricked 530...what mode is it in that you are able to flash? Does it boot to UEFI? I have two 1320s stuck in emg QC-9008 mode that if I could get past the signature check I could save them, I flashed the wrong ffu and it won't boot since the RKH does not match what was flashed. I may have to get an ATF box just to salvage them but don't want to yet...

augustinionut

Apr 21, 2015
'I will try to mount efiesp.bin and apply grub inside, then flash this partition."

????

My lumia530 is unable to find a bootable option after i activated reset protection :D
So i think that with grub installed i will find a way to browse to boot specific boot file.

First, after unlock bootloader he cant enter in mass mode. And two.... https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75197448&postcount=280

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

For your bricked 530...what mode is it in that you are able to flash?

I can flash any mode. She need gdr3 firmware....

the_R4K_

Jun 10, 2017
Horki
My bricked 530 cant go in mass storage mode. I will try to mount efiesp.bin and apply grub inside, then flash this partition.
in your case i think you need check bootarm.efi and bootmgfw.efi and bcd ... (maybe some else because I can't tell about reset protection)
because grub running by windows boot manager.
for this I have two reasons:
first it's more safer.
second it's qualcomm bootloader wont start grub directly.(can't find boot option, when I replace bootarm.efi)

the_R4K_

Jun 10, 2017
Horki
I did few test.
Windows rt install.wim unpacked to SD without integrating any drivers: error INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE.
Windows rt boot.wim as winpe from SD without integrating any drivers: boot OK (thouch didn't work).
Windows phone 8 ffu converted to vhd and copied all files(include data,efiesp) to sd(one partition) without editing registry: boot failed (no boot logo, no bsod, just black screen)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone!
    I compiled GRUB2.02_beta3 for armv7.
    Added some fixes to make selection possible.

for its work you need unlock bootloader! (see wpinternals)
    Oh yeah!! Now i got you?? So can we use it to dual boot android and windows in lumia??
    Only if you have windows XP
    What do you mean by that?

Hmm.. You're right... But I'll keep my lumia as a digital camera ?
    So...how?

you must mount partitions, and follow the instructions
    first need to make sure that EFIESP partition accessable from MainOS \ EFIESP
    then unpack archive in MainOS root, and run as ADMINISTRATOR bcd.bat (like you do for phone)