• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

GRUB2 for lumias

Search This thread

jethro tarw

Jan 13, 2018
I did few test.
Windows rt install.wim unpacked to SD without integrating any drivers: error INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE.
Windows rt boot.wim as winpe from SD without integrating any drivers: boot OK (thouch didn't work).
Windows phone 8 ffu converted to vhd and copied all files(include data,efiesp) to sd(one partition) without editing registry: boot failed (no boot logo, no bsod, just black screen)

have you done much with openBLT and EFIDroid?

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
wlxdev.blogspot.com
I did few test.
Windows rt install.wim unpacked to SD without integrating any drivers: error INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE.
Windows rt boot.wim as winpe from SD without integrating any drivers: boot OK (thouch didn't work).
Windows phone 8 ffu converted to vhd and copied all files(include data,efiesp) to sd(one partition) without editing registry: boot failed (no boot logo, no bsod, just black screen)
Ok. So I am having an issue booting a 32GB 1520, I might end up just using it to test as I have restored from backup.zip etc...and still no booting past the Windows logo.
Can you send me a Screen shot or post one here of the BCD entries you listed, maybe from Visual BCD? I could not boot to the SD card. What I did was raw copy another 1520 from mass storage mode to the SD card and try to boot. I am not sure how to boot another Windows mobile-like OS from SD card yet.

the_R4K_

Jun 10, 2017
Horki
Ok. So I am having an issue booting a 32GB 1520, I might end up just using it to test as I have restored from backup.zip etc...and still no booting past the Windows logo.
Can you send me a Screen shot or post one here of the BCD entries you listed, maybe from Visual BCD? I could not boot to the SD card. What I did was raw copy another 1520 from mass storage mode to the SD card and try to boot. I am not sure how to boot another Windows mobile-like OS from SD card yet.

it's intresting, I will try to copy emmc dump to flash and boot it...
if it's will work I send you all info.
(sorry if I make mistake. I start to forget the language)

the_R4K_

Jun 10, 2017
Horki

bad news(
I tried copy MainOS and data partitions to sd. then change it's names and uuids.
add new entry to bcd. and edit mount points in registry. resault: black screen and reboot((
as boot logo don't apear,I think windows can't load root. maybe it's INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE.( I don't know because BSOD not apear)

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
wlxdev.blogspot.com
@the_R4K_

Can you post a snippet or paste the entries here anyway? That is further than I got and I need to start somewhere.

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

bad news(

I tried copy MainOS and data partitions to sd. then change it's names and uuids.

add new entry to bcd. and edit mount points in registry. resault: black screen and reboot((

as boot logo don't apear,I think windows can't load root. maybe it's INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE.( I don't know because BSOD not apear)

Actually I did a copy of every partition using hdd raw copy. The sd card looks exactly like the phone emmc. Would that make a difference?

the_R4K_

Jun 10, 2017
Horki
@the_R4K_

Can you post a snippet or paste the entries here anyway? That is further than I got and I need to start somewhere.

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Actually I did a copy of every partition using hdd raw copy. The sd card looks exactly like the phone emmc. Would that make a difference?

this entry I use to boot from sd.
identifier {5dc4578b-faf7-11e7-aa2d-1c3947b79a68}
device unknown
path \windows\system32\boot\winload.efi
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
bootdebug No
nointegritychecks Yes
testsigning Yes
isolatedcontext Yes
flightsigning Yes
osdevice unknown
systemroot \windows
detecthal Yes
winpe No
ems No

for set "device" and "osdevice" need connect sd to pc and execute this
bcdedit / set {entry} device partition = F: (if sd mounted as F :).
If yo make full copy of device partitions, it's have the same uuid and bootmgr can not distinguish partitions.
so you need to change partition's uuid's ...

Reactions: nate0

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
wlxdev.blogspot.com
@the_R4K_
Thank you.
I changed the UUIDs of the partitions on the SD card (8 of them) that were identifiable in Linux with hexeditor. I will need to charge the phone before attempting again.
On a side note, next time before I make modifications to the eMMC I will make a full copy/dump of the emmc while in mass storage mode. The phone I copied all the partitions from was a 16GB and not 32GB, and I am not sure what to check or how to fix what problems that may have caused. I can still boot this phone into mass storage mode, and the OS tries to boot but fails some where. I might try to mount it again in mass storage mode and look for boot logging, do you know where that might be stored?

XDASumiaki

Jan 11, 2018
in your case i think you need check bootarm.efi and bootmgfw.efi and bcd ... (maybe some else because I can't tell about reset protection)
because grub running by windows boot manager.
for this I have two reasons:
first it's more safer.
second it's qualcomm bootloader wont start grub directly.(can't find boot option, when I replace bootarm.efi)

Ye because the UEFI image's NokiaBootMgrApp verify the integriti of bootarm.efi, and who knows whats more.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

I did few test.

SD is need to be handled by another storage driver I think...

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Can you share the source for this? Would be awesome man!

Last edited:

XDASumiaki

Jan 11, 2018
@the_R4K_
Thank you.
I changed the UUIDs of the partitions on the SD card (8 of them) that were identifiable in Linux with hexeditor. I will need to charge the phone before attempting again.
On a side note, next time before I make modifications to the eMMC I will make a full copy/dump of the emmc while in mass storage mode. The phone I copied all the partitions from was a 16GB and not 32GB, and I am not sure what to check or how to fix what problems that may have caused. I can still boot this phone into mass storage mode, and the OS tries to boot but fails some where. I might try to mount it again in mass storage mode and look for boot logging, do you know where that might be stored?

In the root of Windows folder... WITH enable debugging sure! :)

Reactions: nate0

c:/Lumia

Jan 25, 2018
That was an irony. Currently and in the future, there is no need of GRUB or any other bootloader for this almost dead platform, no one will port Android or any other OS'es for Lumias, it has practically no sense at all and almost impossible (because of lack of drivers source code etc.)

people has found ways to do this sir look through forums its been done but no Linux installs yet

BlueTR

May 14, 2013
Bursa
So... I'm back here with my lovely 630 :D
I created windows rt installer on sd card but I can't boot it. I added bcd entries but when I select installer, nothing happens.
I think something is wrong with the drive letter or the way I created the drive. I used rufus :p
How can we add entries to grub? That may work. @the_R4K_

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
wlxdev.blogspot.com
Have you tried editing the cfg file? We can add entries to grub via grub.cfg manually like any grub loader. Whether they work or not is another story...
You saw my post above with someone who is trying to hint why SD card booting is unsuccessful?

Last edited:

BlueTR

May 14, 2013
Bursa
Have you tried eding the cfg file? We can add entries to grub via grub.cfg manually like any grub loader. Whether they work or not is another story...
You saw my post above with someone who is trying to hint why SD card booting is unsuccessful?

Yes but grub sees sd card (hd1, gpt1) and I think it may boot it.
No luck. I got "error: cannot load image" error. It's related to secure boot

Last edited:

XDASumiaki

Jan 11, 2018
Does it work on ARM V8 lumia 950 or not

In theory yes, bcs ARMv8 > ARMv7 (backwards compatible platform), But im not sure, you can give it a chance you wont lose nothing with it...just first backup the EFIESP partition files for sure, if you make damage you phone thats not my responsibility, its your own risk.
If you compile a GNU GRUB for it just do it, not that hard...

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

Im the guy who is trying to develop Android for Lumia-s! I actually got hard work with this GNU grub, i have got this to work on SDcard, I can totally replace the EFIESP files and boot ot from grub in safe to test Windows Bootloaders and to test the EFI/boot/bootarm.efi, and also replace it, I can chainload efi shell and work with srcipts on it. I actually managed to start EFIDroid UI app but it fails (atleast initialize the display and i have aromalib ui) and i need to rewrite it for useof a single .efi bootloader not an UEFI image, but this is for another time.
Now i actually almost got an armv7 / msm8226 Linux kernel to work on my Lumia640XL, it shows memory allocation errors in early init states, im working on it, hope it will work.
EFIShell fails to load kernel directly, shows Secure Violation, if it generated by the main bootloader (Secure boot) then i have a little more complicated situation, because WPInternals can unlock the Secure boot, but cant unlock the bootloader security in the Nokia bootmgr so IT IS A PAIN (why?). Maybe im wrong, and its only a memory violation i will need to figure out it for boot from efi shell to a linux kernel. Need to mess with the kernel memory adresses / efistub adresses.

augustinionut

Apr 21, 2015
Messing around

Attachments

• WP_20180129_22_20_37_Moment(2).jpg
    WP_20180129_22_20_37_Moment(2).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 305

Top Liked Posts