• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

GRUB2 for lumias

Search This thread

XDASumiaki

Jan 11, 2018
If it works, would it be easy and possible to port it to other msm8226 devices (630 ,640 and 730)? @XDASumiaki

If I got it to work somehow, Im actually compiling a new kernel from Sony M2 D2305 src (mss8226 /cortex a7 same as Lumia 640), a set up kernel konfig with a limited functionality and and minimum settings, if it doesnt work i have sources from anothers (MotoG 2013, some LG, Samsung Galaxy Grand 2) and i will figure out.... + I now 2 new kernel for try out i soon jump back to Windows and see what happens (i cant use use sd cards in this linux dist something gone wrong yesterday XD also my sd card got fully formatted for no reason with the ESP partition on it LOL.)
SO YES, if i got it work! should work on same hardware too, but I only have Lumia 640 for testing so i cant try out new phone still i dont have more lumias.
Last chance is MSM CAF kernels / stock Linuy kernel with Qcom defconfigs... and need to set up a device tree from another sources (sony, motorola etc..) or the worst case... need to write totally news

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
wlxdev.blogspot.com
Excuse me, i dont know i can ask this question here or not, but technically can we install ubuntu touch???

Technically speaking...maybe. But why?
Currently there are very few working ports and those are only for android phones. Plus those are still not completely baked as it seems. I had Ubuntu touch for OPO, and it really was not a pleasant experience. Are you planning to build a working port for a Lumia?

Reactions: viper-L950xl

viper-L950xl

Feb 14, 2018
I think it is worth. first, becuse Android devices, even the high-End category you do not have smooth performance, memory managment is awful in android, specially delay to run app, even with 6 gig of RAM, i worked with note 8 but that couldnt satisfied me, this is the only thing that makes me stay with Windows, but Ubuntu is a good run rate (at least on pc), although I don't have experience of using touch version. But i think at least ubuntu has new exprience and even more important that, it has not unsecure store with Thousands of Malware. This is just my opinion.

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

Technically speaking...maybe. But why?
Currently there are very few working ports and those are only for android phones. Plus those are still not completely baked as it seems. I had Ubuntu touch for OPO, and it really was not a pleasant experience. Are you planning to build a working port for a Lumia?

I think it is worth. first, becuse Android devices, even the high-End category you do not have smooth performance, memory managment is awful in android, specially delay to run app, even with 6 gig of RAM, i worked with note 8 but that couldnt satisfied me, this is the only thing that makes me stay with Windows, but Ubuntu is a good run rate (at least on pc), although I don't have experience of using touch version. But i think at least ubuntu has new exprience and even more important that, it has not unsecure store with Thousands of Malware. This is just my opinion.

culot

Oct 11, 2014
Bay
If I got it to work somehow, Im actually compiling a new kernel from Sony M2 D2305 src (mss8226 /cortex a7 same as Lumia 640), a set up kernel konfig with a limited functionality and and minimum settings, if it doesnt work i have sources from anothers (MotoG 2013, some LG, Samsung Galaxy Grand 2) and i will figure out.... + I now 2 new kernel for try out i soon jump back to Windows and see what happens (i cant use use sd cards in this linux dist something gone wrong yesterday XD also my sd card got fully formatted for no reason with the ESP partition on it LOL.)
SO YES, if i got it work! should work on same hardware too, but I only have Lumia 640 for testing so i cant try out new phone still i dont have more lumias.
Last chance is MSM CAF kernels / stock Linuy kernel with Qcom defconfigs... and need to set up a device tree from another sources (sony, motorola etc..) or the worst case... need to write totally news

Have you considered cross-referencing the Windows 10 IoT BSPs for the Dragonboard 410c? There's one for Android, Linux, and Windows 10 IoT -- all on MSM8916. The Windows IoT is UEFI, yes? Both have fully-functional setups to run on the same hardware, so wouldn't that be a great jumping-off point for getting LK or Grub brought up.

There's also the leaked Qualcomm BSPs for 8x26, 8916, 8996, etc., so perhaps custom modems and boot is possible?

dape16

Jun 20, 2006

Kind of OT but you have to be joking. Android phones like Nokia 8, Pixel 2 and OnePlus 5T are amazingly fast and smooth. I can't imagine Note 8 would be any different. Android has actually pretty good memory management nowdays, my Lumia 950XL on the other hand has terrible multitasking, and long app loading times. If you are using Ubuntu on your PC you are definitely skilled enough to avoid installing malware on your phone.

Top Liked Posts