[GSI][12] LineageOS 19.x GSI (A64B/64B)

What's your status on GAPPS and SafetyNet?

• I use GAPPS and passed SafetyNet with Magisk, etc.

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • I use GAPPS and can't pass SafetyNet - I probably need a VNDKLite or "secure" build

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I use GAPPS as-is and don't care about SafetyNet

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I don't use GAPPS at all

Votes: 21 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
640px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

Background:
This is a natural continuation/extension of the LineageOS 18.x GSIs I've been making since 2020.
LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS GitHub repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

Disclaimer:
This is still mostly a LineageOS team / PHH @phhusson effort, credits to them and all associated for making all this possible.
No flashing instructions will be offered. If you're here in this forum, you should know what you're doing.
No guarantees that everything would work. This is a GSI, bugs are bound to happen.

Must-read:
You are STRONGLY ADVISED to try PHH's AOSP of equivalent version FIRST and identify/report issues there, before moving onto other GSIs that are based on his work, including this one.
If you do find bugs on this GSI and want to report, then you MUST try reproducing on AOSP, and ONLY proceed to report here when it's specific to this GSI. This filters out bugs common to all PHH-based GSIs, which you should let PHH know, not me. I might silently ignore your report if you skip this.

Download:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/
Compressed as .xz archives - extract first.

Stuff on GitHub (builders-only):
Since builders' stuff aren't really interesting to end users, I decided not to separately document the modifications needed in this post; instead just check out these repos, where most things should be self-explanatory. Not the cleanest code, but should help if you need some clues.
Donate?
https://paypal.me/AndyCGYan

Last edited:

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Reserved

Notes:
  • I now have a rather taxing day job, and can't devote nearly as much time/effort into this as I did as a student.
  • GAPPS builds are offered as-is without guarantees. Read #10 for more.
  • /system is RO on regular builds and RW on VNDKLite builds. VNDKLite builds can be used on most non-VNDKLite devices as well.
  • ADB is intentionally insecure, even on first boot (turned on by default and no authentication needed). GSIs are more fragile compared to device-specific custom ROMs, both on first boot (no-boot issues) and on subsequent boots (after tuning certain Treble settings), and I insist that no-auth ADB is a must-have for debugging and general fail-safe.
  • Signature spoofing (MicroG) is supported, but only for priv-apps. This is a security consideration from PHH.
  • Magisk support should be on par with A11 (thanks @eremitein). The "abnormal state / unsupported SU" warning can be ignored. For devices that still don't play well with Magisk (e.g. kernel restrictions implemented by OEM), use PHH-SU instead. Install the app and you'll get root for apps.

Last edited:

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Thank you so much. Are gapps included ?
From an earlier post...
32*/A32* users, I'm not stopping your monthly builds just yet, but 32-bit is getting phased out, and you should upgrade soon. Similar goes for A-only. Ideally in the future we'll only have 64B, making room for other much needed variants such as GAPPS.
Their deprecation does seem likely now, so I'll try a GAPPS build or two when I have time.

Reactions: hacker812c

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Do you consider this alpha usable as daily driver?
And, does it require clean installation from LOS 18 GSI?
I am using it as my daily driver - I enabled Gallery and LiveDisplay for just that purpose.
Out of curiosity I did try a dirty install from 18.1. It booted and most apps work, to my surprise, but Messaging won't allow me to select contacts properly no matter what, and that was a blocker, so don't.

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
People who love LOS, insist on using GAPPS with it, and had been asking me for such builds all this time - I now have a lil something for you, a test LOS19 build with GAPPS built-in. It's intentionally in the "personal" flavor to discourage use as your daily driver, but also shared-blocks (unlike previous "personal" builds) to save some space.

It was more trivial to build than I thought, but that doesn't mean I'll build it alongside vanilla yet...
  • Every variant takes disk space and build time
  • The image itself is huge and won't fit in even slightly older devices
  • Too many archs/variants confuse users
  • I cannot make any guarantees about it
I've seldom mentioned the last point, yet it's critical - I'm in China and I don't use GAPPS at all, so I have little idea about what counts as "properly working" for GAPPS and how to troubleshoot them. Even if I do eventually build with GAPPS, I can only provide builds as-is, and you'll have to help each other out on GAPPS-related/-induced issues. At the end of the day, I still recommend using other ROMs that are built around GAPPS, e.g. @ponces ' PE, for a more cohesive experience and better support.
For now, all I know is this test build logs in (after registering the device here), can open Play Store and download apps, nothing beyond that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211110-003558.png
    Screenshot_20211110-003558.png
    252 KB · Views: 1,571
Last edited:

Isaac™

Jul 14, 2021
I do the installation through fastboot, because I don't have twrp, The installation is successful, but when I start to start the installation it gives an error: Invalid sparse file format at header magic, and after that it installs normally, but when I start the system, it gets stuck in the logo of the manufacturer of my device, Any solution?

Geoz

Nov 22, 2012
Flashed this ROM on my Oneplus 9 Pro and was surprised how great and smooth it is.
I read on a thread how to fix fingerprint issue on GSI ROM by editing /vendor/build.prop, tried it and ended up in bootloop and I have to start all over.
What's the right way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Geoz

Nov 22, 2012
That depends on your maintainer (LuK), and also PHH only deals with issues with stock vendors.
Speaking of which, looks like someone else also can't wait for LuK's 19.0, hehe...
First time on GSI ROM but I'm really impressed. I've learned a lot from you in a very short time. All information I read on the internet is not valid rather from a developer like you.
I appreciate you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    wdym i have been using twrp since forever to flash gsis on my galaxy A32 4G without issues. it has virtual A/B. If you have issues you can use chondoe flasher in twrp
    Every device that uses Dynamic Partitions has a disclaimer on their TWRP page about how TWRP can't deal with anything other than the Super Partition

Your phone is an A32 which isn't officialy supported by TWRP, but the A33 is and you can see the disclaimer on its page
    640px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

Background:
    This is a natural continuation/extension of the LineageOS 18.x GSIs I've been making since 2020.
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
    All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS GitHub repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

Disclaimer:
    This is still mostly a LineageOS team / PHH @phhusson effort, credits to them and all associated for making all this possible.
    No flashing instructions will be offered. If you're here in this forum, you should know what you're doing.
    No guarantees that everything would work. This is a GSI, bugs are bound to happen.

Must-read:
    You are STRONGLY ADVISED to try PHH's AOSP of equivalent version FIRST and identify/report issues there, before moving onto other GSIs that are based on his work, including this one.
    If you do find bugs on this GSI and want to report, then you MUST try reproducing on AOSP, and ONLY proceed to report here when it's specific to this GSI. This filters out bugs common to all PHH-based GSIs, which you should let PHH know, not me. I might silently ignore your report if you skip this.

Download:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/
    Compressed as .xz archives - extract first.

Stuff on GitHub (builders-only):
    Since builders' stuff aren't really interesting to end users, I decided not to separately document the modifications needed in this post; instead just check out these repos, where most things should be self-explanatory. Not the cleanest code, but should help if you need some clues.
    Donate?
    https://paypal.me/AndyCGYan
    Reserved

Notes:
    • I now have a rather taxing day job, and can't devote nearly as much time/effort into this as I did as a student.
    • GAPPS builds are offered as-is without guarantees. Read #10 for more.
    • /system is RO on regular builds and RW on VNDKLite builds. VNDKLite builds can be used on most non-VNDKLite devices as well.
    • ADB is intentionally insecure, even on first boot (turned on by default and no authentication needed). GSIs are more fragile compared to device-specific custom ROMs, both on first boot (no-boot issues) and on subsequent boots (after tuning certain Treble settings), and I insist that no-auth ADB is a must-have for debugging and general fail-safe.
    • Signature spoofing (MicroG) is supported, but only for priv-apps. This is a security consideration from PHH.
    • Magisk support should be on par with A11 (thanks @eremitein). The "abnormal state / unsupported SU" warning can be ignored. For devices that still don't play well with Magisk (e.g. kernel restrictions implemented by OEM), use PHH-SU instead. Install the app and you'll get root for apps.
    Initial builds are based on PHH v400.c and November security patches.
    Sigh, I don't really want to make a thread this early...

BTW, 32-bit and A-only users, you should really move on.
    Updated all variants with March security patches and in sync with PHH v410. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

Lots to say about this build...
    • Backup: We're entering Android 12L / LineageOS 19.1, and you should be alarmed to any major updates like this. Especially if you're a maniac like me who uses this daily, BACKUP EVERYTHING and BRACE FOR WIPE! Out of the 10 devices I flashed 19.x on, 2 of them was unable to update through a dirty flash, prompting me to wipe data. I was lucky that neither were critical, and my daily driver updated smoothly, but don't test your luck.
    • Change of variant names: see 18.1 post.
    • Broken stuff: 12L broke quite a bunch of my changes, as evident by how much I delayed this build to correct them, but even now there might still be ones lingering. Known is statusbar height might be f'd up for devices that have an overlay (Google inverted the definition, I already informed PHH of it), and SearchLauncher on GAPPS variants might be half-working.
    • OTA: This is also the first release to contain PHH's homemade OTA mechanism, implementation info here. Enter the Updater either from PHH Settings, or from Settings - System. However, some known caveats:
      • SourceForge could be stupidly slow when accessed through the Updater
      • No error detection or A/B fallback in case of failure
      • Magisk will NOT work anymore after you take such an OTA
      • Any data wipe will take you back to when you haven't taken any
    ...thus I strongly recommend you stick to the current flow and have a PC by you for updates.​
    Updated all variants with September security patches. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

LOS19 has passed its year mark and now enters low-effort maintenance mode.

Unfortunately for all waiting out there, PHH isn't working on A13 yet (burnout, etc.), and neither am I (day job, etc.). If you feel thankful to PHH's work over the years and are looking forward to more, please show it by donating to him, perhaps via PayPal ([email protected]).