[GSI][12] LineageOS 19.x GSI (A64B/64B)

What's your status on GAPPS and SafetyNet?

• I use GAPPS and passed SafetyNet with Magisk, etc.

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • I use GAPPS and can't pass SafetyNet - I probably need a VNDKLite or "secure" build

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I use GAPPS as-is and don't care about SafetyNet

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I don't use GAPPS at all

Votes: 21 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
I have bootloader unlocked the vivo x fold and attempted to install lineage-19.1-20220613-UNOFFICI AL-a64_bvS.img. When my device reboots, I experience a bootloop (adb commands work fine).
Seems related to how this vendor deals with dual displays.
Code:
E AndroidRuntime: *** FATAL EXCEPTION IN SYSTEM PROCESS: android.ui
E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Can't remove the primary display.
This is way beyond me at the moment, as foldables are still new, and each OEM seems to have their own way to implement it (I've seen 3 different behaviours on GSIs by now, including yours). Even if you get one of these to boot, it'll most likely be unusable even for playing around, due to critical display/touch issues. When AOSP codes something universal/native for OEMs to utilize in their foldables, that's when I believe we could revisit these.

And hang on tight to your unofficial bootloader unlock, good luck not getting it silently relocked by Vivo in a future update...

Reactions: domineus

domineus

Jun 16, 2007
Seems related to how this vendor deals with dual displays.
Code:
E AndroidRuntime: *** FATAL EXCEPTION IN SYSTEM PROCESS: android.ui
E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Can't remove the primary display.
This is way beyond me at the moment, as foldables are still new, and each OEM seems to have their own way to implement it (I've seen 3 different behaviours on GSIs by now, including yours). Even if you get one of these to boot, it'll most likely be unusable even for playing around, due to critical display/touch issues. When AOSP codes something universal/native for OEMs to utilize in their foldables, that's when I believe we could revisit these.

And hang on tight to your unofficial bootloader unlock, good luck not getting it silently relocked by Vivo in a future update...
Thank you for looking at this! I had no idea there was so much fragmentation in this segment. It’s really helpful your advise

Daan31

Jul 6, 2022
Perhaps a bit of a newbie question: but has anybody been able to turn on SELinux in this GSI? I've found a patch but it ain't working :-( My old S5 SM-G900F is running on lineage 18.1 with SELinux turned on. I would like to have it enabled on my A8 (SM-A530F) and tried different options like different A8 Vendor options, patches and Magisk but I'm unable to enable it.

Does anyone have some suggestions to enable it or improve security on the phone with this GSI?

I'm using the secured one (created with SAS) lineage-19.1-20220613-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgS-vndklite which works brilliantly on the A8.

ykom

Nov 19, 2011
hi all,
I installed lineage-19.1-20220613-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvS.img on Umidigi S5 Pro and worked well first, however, Phone call (in & out) is NOT working. It even shows LTE sign, but only mobile data is working. Any suggestions? and there is no MTK engineering mode, right?
Thx,

Last edited:

Pervokur

Feb 15, 2022
Perhaps a bit of a newbie question: but has anybody been able to turn on SELinux in this GSI? I've found a patch but it ain't working :-( My old S5 SM-G900F is running on lineage 18.1 with SELinux turned on. I would like to have it enabled on my A8 (SM-A530F) and tried different options like different A8 Vendor options, patches and Magisk but I'm unable to enable it.

Does anyone have some suggestions to enable it or improve security on the phone with this GSI?

I'm using the secured one (created with SAS) lineage-19.1-20220613-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgS-vndklite which works brilliantly on the A8.
It's enforcing in default for me (vivo y31)

VicKrypt

May 29, 2022
Updated all variants with July security patches and in sync with PHH v415. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]
Time to get backing up 😃
I respect your hard work sir!

I wanted to ask if it's possible to add a .ttf font file to /root or an xml, such that it shows up among the system's Lato, Rubik and Noto Serif fonts in Settings » Display » Fonts.

Edit: Found out it's more convenient to manually replace the default Roboto font in adb quite okay.

Last edited:

krvrian

Mar 20, 2019
hi! first of all thanks for the hardwork, it working perfectly on my mi pad 5 (aside from some insignificant bug), i want to ask about taskbar in lockscreen, the taskbar.. bar.. is still visible on lockscreen, any way to override this while retaining the taskbar? thank you!

edit: whoops, it's gone after i used gesture navigation

moovtome

Dec 17, 2013
"the updater not liking magisk"
"Time to get backing up"

Hello!
I am on S20 FE 4G (Exynos) 19.1 LOS GSI [lineage-19.1-20220613-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvS.img - hope it is good one for my phone... :] or vndklite better? I do not use gapps at all ] (by AndyYan, thank you for awesome work!) and would like to make update to the latest release.
Please tell me how-to do this proper way. Which tool you use for backup etc, what steps etc

2nd question
As I am on LOS GSI 19.1, S20 FE LTE Exynos (with TWRP) - when starting Magisk have this msg:

Abnormal State
A "su" binary not from Magisk has been
detected. Please remove any competing
root solution and/or reinstall Magisk.

What could be the reason and/or how to fix it. :/ Maybe someone can help...
Or just ignore it?
Edit: OK, I've read - guess it is known thing - to ignore.

Last edited:

VicKrypt

May 29, 2022
"Time to get backing up"

Hello!
I am on S20 FE 4G (Exynos) 19.1 LOS GSI [lineage-19.1-20220613-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvS.img - hope it is good one for my phone... :] or vndklite better? I do not use gapps at all ] (by AndyYan, thank you for awesome work!) and would like to make update to the latest release.
Please tell me how-to do this proper way. Which tool you use for backup etc, what steps etc

2nd question
As I am on LOS GSI 19.1, S20 FE LTE Exynos (with TWRP) - when starting Magisk have this msg:

Abnormal State

Or just ignore it?
I use Seedvault backup provided in Lineage itself (you can find it in Settings/System/Backup) to backup system apps, a couple of user apps and settings. Then titanium for the rest of the user apps and apps' data.

Reactions: moovtome

Hatrackman

Feb 25, 2015
Victoria
goo.gl
Can anyone tell me if it is worth updating (using version from about 3 updates ago) if I don't care about security and do not use a sim card? (On a moto g power 2021)

Feb 3, 2022
I used previous GSI versions on my S21+. So far with no hardware-software issues.
When I tried to update to the July version, the booting froze when the lineageos logo appeared. I had to reflash everything.
I patched the latest stock rom, flashed it, flashed the latest TWRP, and then after data and full wipe, flashed the GSI, following the instructions for AOSP GSI.

Now, when connecting my bluetooth headset, the speakers still play the audio (not the headset), even though the bluetooth connection appears successful.
Moreover, the audio plays with distortion at higher speed than normal.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Feb 3, 2022
I used previous GSI versions on my S21+. So far with no hardware-software issues.
When I tried to update to the July version, the booting froze when the lineageos logo appeared. I had to reflash everything.
I patched the latest stock rom, flashed it, flashed the latest TWRP, and then after data and full wipe, flashed the GSI, following the instructions for AOSP GSI.

Now, when connecting my bluetooth headset, the speakers still play the audio (not the headset), even though the bluetooth connection appears successful.
Moreover, the audio plays with distortion at higher speed than normal.

Any ideas why this is happening?
I solved this problem now. It was related to the TWRP setup - I had to disable encryption (multidisabler command in terminal).
After this, flashing of image and zip files as per instructions, and this time everything worked fine.
No sound or Bluetooth issues (interesting that these are related to the TWRP/encryption issue).

The only difference is that encryption is red now in TRUST, but SELinux is enforcing and Android security patches are up to date. Hopefully, the S21+ will get the encryption issue solved.

LedNeed

Aug 6, 2022
I updated to latest GSI through the Settings App with Magisk installed. The OS can't boot (Xperia 10 iii). So I flashed a patched boot.img from Magisk, and now I can boot successfully, but some things are not working.

Settings App is not working
Overview/Recent button is not working
Magisk is not working (despite having flashed the patched image). When I try to boot using an image patched with the latest Magisk version (25.2), this doesn't work either. I can only boot with the previous Magisk version (24.3) I originally flashed about 3 months ago.

Previously installed apps work. They receive notifications correctly. MicroG is working.

Anybody has any advice? I can do a full wipe, but maybe someone has a quick fix.

VicKrypt

May 29, 2022
Audio is unbearably cracky and distorted on Lineage OS (as well as AOSP, Arrow OS; all GSIs I've tried), especially when a long thread is run in the background. I've searched online and on XDA but there doesn't seem to be anyone who explains a fix. Anyone with similar issues, or a possible fix? Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated all variants with July security patches and in sync with PHH v415. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]
    is it in sync with LineageOS or only security patches?
    In a way, both - LOS upstream has mostly stabilized this long after 19.1's formal release.
    "Time to get backing up"

Hello!

2nd question

Abnormal State

Or just ignore it?
    I use Seedvault backup provided in Lineage itself (you can find it in Settings/System/Backup) to backup system apps, a couple of user apps and settings. Then titanium for the rest of the user apps and apps' data.
    640px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

Background:
    This is a natural continuation/extension of the LineageOS 18.x GSIs I've been making since 2020.
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
    All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS GitHub repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

Disclaimer:
    This is still mostly a LineageOS team / PHH @phhusson effort, credits to them and all associated for making all this possible.
    No flashing instructions will be offered. If you're here in this forum, you should know what you're doing.
    No guarantees that everything would work. This is a GSI, bugs are bound to happen.

Must-read:
    You are STRONGLY ADVISED to try PHH's AOSP of equivalent version FIRST and identify/report issues there, before moving onto other GSIs that are based on his work, including this one.
    If you do find bugs on this GSI and want to report, then you MUST try reproducing on AOSP, and ONLY proceed to report here when it's specific to this GSI. This filters out bugs common to all PHH-based GSIs, which you should let PHH know, not me. I might silently ignore your report if you skip this.

Download:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/
    Compressed as .xz archives - extract first.

Stuff on GitHub (builders-only):
    Since builders' stuff aren't really interesting to end users, I decided not to separately document the modifications needed in this post; instead just check out these repos, where most things should be self-explanatory. Not the cleanest code, but should help if you need some clues.
    Donate?
    https://paypal.me/AndyCGYan
    Reserved

Notes:
    • I now have a rather taxing day job, and can't devote nearly as much time/effort into this as I did as a student.
    • Naturally, LOS19 is pretty early at this point, and many features are absent or don't work. Heck, I hacked in Gallery and LiveDisplay before LOS people even attempted, just because they're important to me.
    • GAPPS builds are offered as-is without guarantees. Read #10 for more.
    • /system is RO on regular builds and RW on VNDKLite builds. VNDKLite builds can be used on most non-VNDKLite devices as well.
    • Signature spoofing (MicroG) is supported, but only for priv-apps. This is a security consideration from PHH.
    • Magisk support should be on par with A11 (thanks @eremitein). The "abnormal state / unsupported SU" warning can be ignored. For devices that still don't play well with Magisk (e.g. kernel restrictions implemented by OEM), use PHH-SU instead. Install the app and you'll get root for apps.
    • I've picked a few commits from ProtonAOSP to fix global theming (thanks @kdrag0n), and also moved a few useful patches out from my personal build to public. I'm willing to deviate a bit from vanilla LOS to bring them to everyone. For even more personalized mods, check out this sample personal build side-by-side with the patches repo.
    • exfat SD cards still don't seem to work. Any help related to this would be appreciated.
    Updated all variants with March security patches and in sync with PHH v410. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

Lots to say about this build...
    • Backup: We're entering Android 12L / LineageOS 19.1, and you should be alarmed to any major updates like this. Especially if you're a maniac like me who uses this daily, BACKUP EVERYTHING and BRACE FOR WIPE! Out of the 10 devices I flashed 19.x on, 2 of them was unable to update through a dirty flash, prompting me to wipe data. I was lucky that neither were critical, and my daily driver updated smoothly, but don't test your luck.
    • Change of variant names: see 18.1 post.
    • Broken stuff: 12L broke quite a bunch of my changes, as evident by how much I delayed this build to correct them, but even now there might still be ones lingering. Known is statusbar height might be f'd up for devices that have an overlay (Google inverted the definition, I already informed PHH of it), and SearchLauncher on GAPPS variants might be half-working.
    • OTA: This is also the first release to contain PHH's homemade OTA mechanism, implementation info here. Enter the Updater either from PHH Settings, or from Settings - System. However, some known caveats:
      • SourceForge could be stupidly slow when accessed through the Updater
      • No error detection or A/B fallback in case of failure
      • Magisk will NOT work anymore after you take such an OTA
      • Any data wipe will take you back to when you haven't taken any
    ...thus I strongly recommend you stick to the current flow and have a PC by you for updates.​
    Initial builds are based on PHH v400.c and November security patches.
    Sigh, I don't really want to make a thread this early...

BTW, 32-bit and A-only users, you should really move on.
    Updated all variants with December security patches and in sync with PHH v400.d. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

This can be called the "I take back my words" release:
    - LOS merged r18 much quicker than I expected, invalidating the post above.
    - After too many queries regarding GAPPS through various channels, I've given up resisting and will build some. However, as already stated in #10, these are offered entirely at your request, as-is, without guarantees, and you'll have to help each other out on GAPPS-related/-induced issues.

One more thing - PHH introduced yet another variant called "secure", which is the same as clicking "Securize" after booting, however it's effective on first boot and therefore avoids certain data breakage. This variant is generated with sas-creator, and as long as you have a Linux PC, it's trivial work (doesn't require building environment), so for the few that might need it, do it yourself.

OP has been updated with some of the above info as necessary; SF has also been updated with a readme that better explains the naming rules of variants.