[GSI][13] LineageOS 20 TrebleDroid-based

Search This thread

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Hello all,
I am new to the custom ROM scene - so please be gentle. However, thanks to @AndyYan I was able to install Lineage OS 20 "light" on my Samsung Galaxy A50 and until now I am amazed by how smooth everything works! Thank you so much!
I do have one question, however, since I did not find any information about that. Does the built in encryption feature of Lineage OS 20 (note, not the "light"!) work on the Samsung Galaxy A50? Now, with the "light" version when clicking on "ecnrypt smartphone", then nothing happens. If it works with the TD-based version I would switch over!
I would be really thankful for any information on that!
I may be wrong, but I believe the encryption of the data partition is entirely dependent on the relevant entries in the fstab.qcom file (devices that use Qualcomm chipsets), located in your vendor partition. It's generally enabled by default.

ildar_prophet

Apr 20, 2011
johan-notes.blogspot.com
@AndyYan , it's great to see you back with us!
I installed this ROM on a Samsung A7 10" tablet. The one thing that doesn't work is turning on/off with flip open/close through the magnetic sensor. I checked the sensor is there and working in LOS.
Have a hint for me where to look?
Thanks in advance!

Jack Droid

Jul 15, 2014
Hi all,
I'm on Galaxy A52S 5G and I'm trying to flash this ROM but I found that brightness is not even half than stock ROM.

Even at 100% is still very low and it is difficult to see something....

I have already tried to change many settings but nothing works....

This happens with all GSI roms I tried since now ( Arrows, Corvus, Sparks and so on....)

Maybe I need to maanage something else ( vendor img ? overlay ? )

Anybody can help me ?

Many thanks

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
@AndyYan: I'm looking for a guide on how to compile your LOS from source. Just want to give it a test run.

Things I want:
1. GApps integrated
2. Pre-securized and non-rooted (so I can install it myself)
3. Vndklite/shared_blocks removed (for full read/write access)

Thanks!

What is the difference between your LOS, and the Android 13 gsis compiled by phh? He appears to at least partly use your source code.

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Things I want:
1. GApps integrated
2. Pre-securized and non-rooted (so I can install it myself)
3. Vndklite/shared_blocks removed (for full read/write access)
Code:
bash lineage_build_unified/buildbot_unified.sh treble 64GN
...then https://github.com/AndyCGYan/sas-creator
Code:
sudo bash lite-adapter.sh 64 system.img
What is the difference between your LOS, and the Android 13 gsis compiled by phh? He appears to at least partly use your source code.
It's the other way round, I rely on TD's work. TD-based GSIs mean we apply all TD patches possible to other ROMs, then add some of our own.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Code:
bash lineage_build_unified/buildbot_unified.sh treble 64GN
...then https://github.com/AndyCGYan/sas-creator
Code:
sudo bash lite-adapter.sh 64 system.img

It's the other way round, I rely on TD's work. TD-based GSIs mean we apply all TD patches possible to other ROMs, then add some of our own.
Thanks for the guide. When i get some time i'll test in a virtual machine.

You rely on phh's work? The word with him is that he is stepping away from actively being involved. So, he either won't be building at all, or he still will but it won't be a priority for him anymore (updates released less frequently). Has it been discussed in regards to who will take over if he drops out completely? I understand he has a life and that must always come first. He has done a lot of work for the Treble community for free, and owes nothing to anyone. Losing him will be a major hit to the Treble community.

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
You rely on phh's work? The word with him is that he is stepping away from actively being involved. So, he either won't be building at all, or he still will but it won't be a priority for him anymore (updates released less frequently).
For now PHH still investigates hardware issues when he has time; TD now builds from a CI flow he created, which is less burden on him. We other TD builders contribute in our own expertise as well (e.g. Iceows excels at Huawei oddities), but I say no one can really match him. Overall TD is getting less fixes than previously when he was in full control.
Has it been discussed in regards to who will take over if he drops out completely? I understand he has a life and that must always come first. He has done a lot of work for the Treble community for free, and owes nothing to anyone. Losing him will be a major hit to the Treble community.
I don't think anyone of us is ready to face that topic at the moment...
I myself prepare for that with my "Light" approach which, although still containing many fixes from PHH, I comprehend better than the full PHH/TD patchset.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
For now PHH still investigates hardware issues when he has time; TD now builds from a CI flow he created, which is less burden on him. We other TD builders contribute in our own expertise as well (e.g. Iceows excels at Huawei oddities), but I say no one can really match him. Overall TD is getting less fixes than previously when he was in full control.

I don't think anyone of us is ready to face that topic at the moment...
I myself prepare for that with my "Light" approach which, although still containing many fixes from PHH, I comprehend better than the full PHH/TD patchset.
From what I can gather, your LOS is based on phh's work. LOS itself isn't really a separate "thing", it's just AOSP with patches and modifications, and rebranded as LOS. But they differentiate it enough that it could almost be considered separate. Even with stock firmwares, they are AOSP at the core, but with lots of changes, custom skins, hardware specific stuff.

If I have to choose between phh's AOSP and LOS, I'll always choose the former. It just feels different to me. But you have taken a different approach to securizing with 20, where it is no longer permanent. I personally haven't noticed any issues with phh's permanent way of doing it.

You also have the sbin patch, which makes Magisk rooting much easier. I understand why phh won't re-add sbin to his sources, since he tries to stay as close to Google's AOSP source as possible.

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
LOS itself isn't really a separate "thing", it's just AOSP with patches and modifications, and rebranded as LOS. But they differentiate it enough that it could almost be considered separate.
If I have to choose between phh's AOSP and LOS, I'll always choose the former. It just feels different to me.
It won't be hard to build an AOSP "Light" (I'm thinking of building one for A14 on its launch day), but for me AOSP just feels too barebones with many unpolished details. I'm also habitually into CM/LOS, as I've been a user since CM6 (Android 2.2).
Choices are still plenty for now, enjoy.
I understand why phh won't re-add sbin to his sources
I believe this is because PHH thinks it should be worked around in Magisk itself. Unfortunately, Magisk had been deaf to GSIs almost since these existed, so an understanding/solution was never met.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
It won't be hard to build an AOSP "Light" (I'm thinking of building one for A14 on its launch day), but for me AOSP just feels too barebones with many unpolished details. I'm also habitually into CM/LOS, as I've been a user since CM6 (Android 2.2).
Choices are still plenty for now, enjoy.

I believe this is because PHH thinks it should be worked around in Magisk itself. Unfortunately, Magisk had been deaf to GSIs almost since these existed, so an understanding/solution was never met.
I saw topjohnwu's comments on github. I mostly agree with him, it is the responsibility of ROM devs to either add sbin or not.

needmypandora

Dec 7, 2019
I cant connect to my smartwatch in jan and feb builds on my J7 Prime with custom vendor.

Last edited:

bhammler

Feb 19, 2008
Xiaomi 11T Pro
Hi, so here are my impressions/advices:

* As far as battery life is concerned I am still in testing phase. But it seems already much better to me, standby drain is much better. But I cannot provide reliable statistics right now.

* I have rooted my device as I need some magisk fixes. So be sure to download a version of this rom which is not pre-rooted. I have patched the firmware file within magisk app and then transferred in the AP slot via odin before patching the recovery and finally flash the system image via fastboot. No problem here.

* Google wallet works with system spoofing enabled in Treble settings app and after flashing the latest safety net fix mod from displax im magisk. However, after flashing the module in magisk you have to clear data from google play services and goole play store. Device is certified here.

* There is a bug with audio recording within camera apps. I have found a magisk module to fix that in a telegram disussion group (s22-gsi-fixes.zip) tohether with some other small fixes. I do not know if I am allowed to post the link to the group here, but you will find the link to the group in the xda thread: https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-5-10-142-aosp-oneui-loki-kernel-exynos2200-s22-plus-ultra.4468599/. You have to flash the module and enable "use alternative audio policy" in treble app. Unfortunately, the fix did not work for me. But I found the solution by make a small change in the file "audio_policy_configuration_base.xml" within the module by myself. I can provide further information on that if needed.

However, there are and will be some issues:

* As you probably expect, VoLTE and WoWIFI won't work. Samsung's fault. There is nothing to do about that.

* The camera quality is worse than samsung's stock. But no big problem as I use this gcam go from shamim: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-shamim/f/dl16/. Works really decently, all three lenses, night mode and front facing camera. Not quite as good as the original google camera app and no 60 fps video recording, but hey - the image quality is really fine to me.

* The fingerprint reader does not work as for now on my device. But this issue was fixed with the latest release of TrebleDroid: https://github.com/TrebleDroid/treble_experimentations/releases. I hope for an update for this GSI as TrebleDroid ist too barebones (no Gapps, no spoofing of system status etc.). Until then I use xposed and the face unlock mod you find here on xda. Works fast an reliably.

Everything else seems to work fine, e.g. automatic brightness (a littlebit wanky), hotspot etc. But I have not tested everything as for now. And probably I have forgotten many things here... ;)

I won't go back to OneUI...

Hope that helps!
could you provide what I have to fix in "audio_policy_configuration_base.xml"

Guanu244

Jan 5, 2021
After dirty flash to version 0218 from 0115, I can't pass CTS profile
I use magisk + shamiko + saftyNet fix + LSPosed

0115 can pass. I don't know what went wrong

And now i can't dirty flash to 0115 ,will not boot
can you help me?

n07w3n

May 13, 2022
The securize property can only be changed through root access or have I misunderstood?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated all variants with April security patches. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]
    640px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
    All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS GitHub repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

MUST-READ BACKGROUND - Android 13 and the two approaches:
    As some of you already know, due to various reasons, @phhusson , who kickstarted the GSI trend and committed to it over the years, is backing out from future development
    - there won't be any AOSP 13+ builds or patches directly from him. He did most of the heavylifting for fixing bugs and implementing features, and selflessly supported more than his AOSP GSIs and more than devices he own. For the situation of GSIs today, we owe him a big thank-you.
    Earlier, inspired by @PeterCxy , I took the "light" approach, which starts over from AOSP's generic gsi_* target and adds the minimum amount of fixes needed for my own devices, intentionally leaving many legacy devices behind. For more details about it, visit its own thread.
    Meanwhile, a number of existing builders incl. myself have formed the TrebleDroid organization, with PHH himself helping us in technical issues. TD will forward-port PHH's final patches (v415) onto Android 13 and attempt to fix new issues. This is still a new and ongoing process, but if done right, will have compatibility and feature-completion on par with past PHH-based GSIs. This thread contains LOS builds based on TrebleDroid's collective work, which supposedly suits legacy devices, Samsung, etc. better than "light".

Disclaimer:
    No flashing instructions will be offered. If you're here in this forum, you should know what you're doing.
    No guarantees that everything would work. This is a GSI, bugs are bound to happen.

MUST-READ - reporting bugs:
    If you want to report a bug, then you MUST try reproducing on an AOSP reference build of around the same date from TrebleDroid, and ONLY proceed to report here when it's specific to this GSI. This filters out bugs common to all TD-based GSIs, which you should still let me know, but it might not be mine to fix. I might silently ignore your report if you skip this.

Download:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/
    Scroll down for the naming rules of variants.
    Compressed as .xz archives - extract first.

Stuff on GitHub (builders-only):
    Most things should be self-explanatory. Not the cleanest code, but should help if you need some clues.
    Thanks to:
    • The LineageOS team
    • @phhusson - shaped the treble community, and still takes care of TrebleDroid at a higher level
    • @PeterCxy - coded critical fixes such as sysbta
    • The TrebleDroid builders
    • ...and more
    Donate?
    https://paypal.me/AndyCGYan
    Notes:
    • I now have a rather taxing day job, and can't devote nearly as much time/effort into this as I did as a student, or even a year ago.
    • I now daily-drive "light", so I can't test TD-based builds as extensively as before. For the same reason, I likely won't build/upload any TD-based "personal" build either.
    • While most >=A13 GSIs out there are going to be TD-based, some perform better than others - some devs have their own patches that haven't been merged into TD yet. I myself will stay close to TD's raw patchset as much as possible, without picking patches from others left and right. If you find another GSI working better, don't just complain - try to narrow down which ones, and the intersection of them might be an unmerged patch that, if approved, would be merged into TD and benefit all.
    • GAPPS builds are offered as-is without guarantees. As a Chinese I can't/won't help with GAPPS/SN issues - please help each other out.
    • ADB is intentionally insecure, even on first boot (turned on by default and no authentication needed). GSIs are more fragile compared to device-specific custom ROMs, both on first boot (no-boot issues) and on subsequent boots (after tuning certain Treble settings), and I insist that no-auth ADB is a must-have for debugging and general fail-safe.
    • Signature spoofing (MicroG) is supported, but only for priv-apps. This is a security consideration from PHH.
    • On *S variants, install PHH-SU and you'll get basic root for apps, good for devices that don't play well with Magisk or when you don't need modules.
    • Refer to this post for explanation/workaround of an MediaTek-specific kernel bug that causes no internet.
    Updated all variants with January security patches. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

We don't have a holiday season around Christmas / new year here; quite the opposite, the end of a year usually means the toughest work and the most urgent deadlines. The more I work overtime and code, the less I want to even read any code for ROMs at home - the scale almost tipped over by the end of December.
    The bright side is I finally got to catch a breather to adjust my patches some more, but I still don't have enough time yet to migrate my daily device to A14 (to better test it). Moreover, even by now, LOS21 still has lots of unmerged stuff, and needs a carefully maintained picklist to get going.
    I'll still try to make a thread-worthy release within this month, but with what I can devote to ROMs nowadays, don't expect a daily driver out of it.
    Updated all variants with April security patches and in sync with TD 20230417. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

All modern Xiaomi/Redmi devices should be able to see high refresh rates now (if supported), without having to spoof properties globally.
    Updated all variants with July security patches. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

I just realized that I haven't included PHH-SU app in *S (while I did over at Light) - this has been corrected.

@Jonny - although I still very much doubt that the uname change is related to the alarm, adding it back is trivial, so now it's back.