[GSI][13] LineageOS 20 TrebleDroid-based

Search This thread
An overlay?
I guess I just learned something.. So do I need to search for an "overlay"?

In one side, I really need AoD as I'm using it as a clock on my desk. So I somehow just want to just go back to stock MIUI ROM)
But on the other side, now I found MIUI so bloated and slow and most importantly on recent ROMs it's impossible to have full screen gestures with a third party app - which is a bummer as well)

I'm so sad and stuck :(

Try this app, it should replace AOD if it's not available in Lineage. Don't be sad....

Reactions: sanjibukai

Captain_cookie_200

Sep 12, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Sony Xperia 5 II
Hello everybody,

I successfully installed this ROM on my Poco M4 Pro (MTK processor) which has an AMOLED display, but I'm not able to make the Always On Display working on the device.

Is it something I'm missing or is it just that this ROM is not compatible with my phone?
not to mention aod on every gsi has tried is broken. the clock gets stuck and doesnt update.

uschipower

Mar 14, 2009
@AndyYan
When I need root and also GAPPS, which Image should I choose?
TrebleInfos says: arm64, vndklite
Device is ab-patched (TB-X605L)

I am asking because there is no
lineage-20.0-20230324-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgS-vndklite.img.xz

Thanks.

Last edited:

sanjibukai

Apr 2, 2016
Hello everybody...

I just noticed that on my device (Poco M4 Pro) with a freshly installed ROM, there is no internet despite Wifi is correctly connected and shows "Internet" as connected..
When I launch the browser, I get ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED..
It seems it's a DNS issue..
I don't know how to change the DNS in the phone but I tried to go to a website by using its direct IP address but the page gets stuck in the loading state...
When I set the private DNS to adguard for example, it's also loading indefinitely..

Does it mean somehow my device is not working with LineageOS?
I tried many GSI ROMs and never had that issue..

Hatrackman

Feb 25, 2015
Victoria
github.com
Hey. I'm using lineage-20.0-20230324-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgN-vndklite on a Moto G Power (2021).

couple things I've noticed:

- the powered off charging screen/logo is much simpler/basic than the previous lineage 19.1

-might be something up with the battery re: full charge saying I have one day instead of almost 2... I imagine I will do that thing where I drain it til it shuts down then power it up to full with the power off to see if that recalibrates anything.

Also, is there a way to put all status bar icons towards the right? Re: embedded camera on left

Also, is there any way to rescind vndkliteness so as to take advantage of your 'light' version?

PPPS: I should definitely not be attributed with the moniker 'Senior Member'. It implies that I'm something other than a technological clod, only maintaining a custom gsi because of the ability to cut and paste.

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
I just noticed that on my device (Poco M4 Pro) with a freshly installed ROM, there is no internet despite Wifi is correctly connected and shows "Internet" as connected..
Gee people, read OP and #2...
Also, is there a way to put all status bar icons towards the right? Re: embedded camera on left
I assume your stuff are going behind your front camera, the right way to rectify that would be to make an overlay.
Also, is there any way to rescind vndkliteness so as to take advantage of your 'light' version?
VNDKLite is a way legacy concept from Oreo, I don't believe your device requires that variant (unless you show me a Treble Info screenshot?). That aside, people have reported that they were able to switch between "Light" and TD-based without wiping, although I wouldn't recommend so.

Hatrackman

Feb 25, 2015
Victoria
github.com

I assume your stuff are going behind your front camera, the right way to rectify that would be to make an overlay.

VNDKLite is a way legacy concept from Oreo, I don't believe your device requires that variant (unless you show me a Treble Info screenshot?). That aside, people have reported that they were able to switch between "Light" and TD-based without wiping, although I wouldn't recommend so.
Don't really know what an overlay is, though its not really important.
Mostly I'm attracted to 'light' because of the exFAT thing. I've been told that it is, in the long run, gentler on the processor. And my goal with my device is technological endurance... as if I'll never have access to a pc again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230326-192256_Trebuchet.png
    Screenshot_20230326-192256_Trebuchet.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 45

sanjibukai

Apr 2, 2016

My bad and thank you!
In the meantime I flashed back LOS 19.. I'm going to flash again 20..
Quick question though on that post you say the following:

please upgrade to a newer vendor base
What do you mean by to upgrade to a new vendor?

Also, I read a little bit about VNDK, and it seems it's mostly related for older smartphones as you said..
But in my case my phone (Poco M4 Pro) is pretty recent and had Android 12 (so should not be relevant regarding VNDK) but I also have info about VNDK in Treble Info (VNDK version => 31.0 and VNDK Lite => Full linker namespace separation enabled).. So I usually go with the VNDKLite version but I did try both version for a given ROM (e.g. LOS 20) and I didn't notice something..

Do you think I go with the regular version or the VNDK version anyway?

Thank you.

Captain_cookie_200

Sep 12, 2021
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Sony Xperia 5 II
Don't really know what an overlay is, though its not really important.
Mostly I'm attracted to 'light' because of the exFAT thing. I've been told that it is, in the long run, gentler on the processor. And my goal with my device is technological endurance... as if I'll never have access to a pc again.
light has alot of stuff excluded. It was made for andy's own personal use. It excludes alot of fixes and patches. I cant daily drive it since i need some settings from phh settings which are not there in light. and they are essential for me. It depends on your usecase.

sanjibukai

Apr 2, 2016
TD here also has exFAT (ofc I'd (back)port that to all I'm maintaining).
Your screenshot proves that you don't need to run a VNDKLite variant; you might want it for /system read-write purpose.
I have the exact same output of Treble Info (minus mine says Version 31 for VNDK) so I got that I don't need the VNDK version..
Out of curiosity though, in which case we might want to have r/w permission for /system?

Reactions: Hatrackman

Hatrackman

Feb 25, 2015
Victoria
github.com
light has alot of stuff excluded. It was made for andy's own personal use. It excludes alot of fixes and patches. I cant daily drive it since i need some settings from phh settings which are not there in light. and they are essential for me. It depends on your usecase.
I don't use a phone/data/sim card, and don't use bluetooth and don't buy or sell anything (re: security stuff). Ideally I'd not have my Android folder encrypted at all. My philosophy seems to be to have the optimal phone for endurance if 'the big one' comes...
wait... Which settings? Is the Alternate Headphone settings thing not there anymore?

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
What do you mean by to upgrade to a new vendor?
Your device had A11 out of the box; a newer stock base with its updated kernel probably (A12) / definitely (A13) have already fixed that bug mentioned. When you wanna try that, flash stock and start over.
Do you think I go with the regular version or the VNDK version anyway?
If you can't think up a usecase for /system RW, just use the regular version. You can switch when the need arises anyway.
Out of curiosity though, in which case we might want to have r/w permission for /system?
/system RW is great for testing mods or changes that you want integrated later. When I write overlays for devices I appreciate being able to drop them in live, instead of having to repack or build a whole system image.
light has alot of stuff excluded. It was made for andy's own personal use. It excludes alot of fixes and patches.
On the flipside "Light" will receive much more attention from me, be the first to get updates or fixes of my interest (e.g. the SM8550 in-call audio fix) each month. Just putting it out here so people don't simply dismiss it.

uschipower

Mar 14, 2009
Thanks for fast reply.
I am not sure what you mean. Should I use
lineage-20.0-20230324-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvS-vndklite.img ?

And what about GAPPS? They are not included, right?

Another question:
How do I switch GSI-Image, in my case from your
lineage-20.0-20230324-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvN-vndklite.img
to
lineage-20.0-20230324-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvS-vndklite.img
Simply flash "system" with TWRP doesnt work.
Device doesnt boot
It also doesnt boot after formating data.

edit:
i used this guide https://xdaforums.com/t/android-s-gsi-system-as-root-on-on-smart-tab-m10-tb-x605f.4400689/ to install lineage-20.0-20230324-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvN-vndklite.img

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated all variants with April security patches. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]
    640px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
    All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS GitHub repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

MUST-READ BACKGROUND - Android 13 and the two approaches:
    As some of you already know, due to various reasons, @phhusson , who kickstarted the GSI trend and committed to it over the years, is backing out from future development
    - there won't be any AOSP 13+ builds or patches directly from him. He did most of the heavylifting for fixing bugs and implementing features, and selflessly supported more than his AOSP GSIs and more than devices he own. For the situation of GSIs today, we owe him a big thank-you.
    Earlier, inspired by @PeterCxy , I took the "light" approach, which starts over from AOSP's generic gsi_* target and adds the minimum amount of fixes needed for my own devices, intentionally leaving many legacy devices behind. For more details about it, visit its own thread.
    Meanwhile, a number of existing builders incl. myself have formed the TrebleDroid organization, with PHH himself helping us in technical issues. TD will forward-port PHH's final patches (v415) onto Android 13 and attempt to fix new issues. This is still a new and ongoing process, but if done right, will have compatibility and feature-completion on par with past PHH-based GSIs. This thread contains LOS builds based on TrebleDroid's collective work, which supposedly suits legacy devices, Samsung, etc. better than "light".

Disclaimer:
    No flashing instructions will be offered. If you're here in this forum, you should know what you're doing.
    No guarantees that everything would work. This is a GSI, bugs are bound to happen.

MUST-READ - reporting bugs:
    If you want to report a bug, then you MUST try reproducing on an AOSP reference build of around the same date from TrebleDroid, and ONLY proceed to report here when it's specific to this GSI. This filters out bugs common to all TD-based GSIs, which you should still let me know, but it might not be mine to fix. I might silently ignore your report if you skip this.

Download:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/
    Scroll down for the naming rules of variants.
    Compressed as .xz archives - extract first.

Stuff on GitHub (builders-only):
    Most things should be self-explanatory. Not the cleanest code, but should help if you need some clues.
    Thanks to:
    • The LineageOS team
    • @phhusson - shaped the treble community, and still takes care of TrebleDroid at a higher level
    • @PeterCxy - coded critical fixes such as sysbta
    • The TrebleDroid builders
    • ...and more
    Donate?
    https://paypal.me/AndyCGYan
    Notes:
    • I now have a rather taxing day job, and can't devote nearly as much time/effort into this as I did as a student, or even a year ago.
    • I now daily-drive "light", so I can't test TD-based builds as extensively as before. For the same reason, I likely won't build/upload any TD-based "personal" build either.
    • While most >=A13 GSIs out there are going to be TD-based, some perform better than others - some devs have their own patches that haven't been merged into TD yet. I myself will stay close to TD's raw patchset as much as possible, without picking patches from others left and right. If you find another GSI working better, don't just complain - try to narrow down which ones, and the intersection of them might be an unmerged patch that, if approved, would be merged into TD and benefit all.
    • GAPPS builds are offered as-is without guarantees. As a Chinese I can't/won't help with GAPPS/SN issues - please help each other out.
    • ADB is intentionally insecure, even on first boot (turned on by default and no authentication needed). GSIs are more fragile compared to device-specific custom ROMs, both on first boot (no-boot issues) and on subsequent boots (after tuning certain Treble settings), and I insist that no-auth ADB is a must-have for debugging and general fail-safe.
    • Signature spoofing (MicroG) is supported, but only for priv-apps. This is a security consideration from PHH.
    • On *S variants, install PHH-SU and you'll get basic root for apps, good for devices that don't play well with Magisk or when you don't need modules.
    • Refer to this post for explanation/workaround of an MediaTek-specific kernel bug that causes no internet.
    Updated all variants with January security patches. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

We don't have a holiday season around Christmas / new year here; quite the opposite, the end of a year usually means the toughest work and the most urgent deadlines. The more I work overtime and code, the less I want to even read any code for ROMs at home - the scale almost tipped over by the end of December.
    The bright side is I finally got to catch a breather to adjust my patches some more, but I still don't have enough time yet to migrate my daily device to A14 (to better test it). Moreover, even by now, LOS21 still has lots of unmerged stuff, and needs a carefully maintained picklist to get going.
    I'll still try to make a thread-worthy release within this month, but with what I can devote to ROMs nowadays, don't expect a daily driver out of it.
    Updated all variants with April security patches and in sync with TD 20230417. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

All modern Xiaomi/Redmi devices should be able to see high refresh rates now (if supported), without having to spoof properties globally.
    Updated all variants with July security patches. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

I just realized that I haven't included PHH-SU app in *S (while I did over at Light) - this has been corrected.

@Jonny - although I still very much doubt that the uname change is related to the alarm, adding it back is trivial, so now it's back.