[GSI][13] LineageOS 20 TrebleDroid-based

Search This thread

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Tried but there doesn't seems to be any files in both framework-res.apk and the vendor's framework-res that can fix it.
Make your own measurements, although there doesn't seem to be many writeups on it. I should probably sum up how I do overlays into a post some time...
1) how to chnge bootanimation? there's no /system/media folder...
2) how to make /vendor rw?
3) how to DisableForcedEncryption?
1) /system/product/media
2) Most likely you don't, esp. if it's EROFS on many newer devices.
3) Again, most likely you don't, as fstab is in /vendor and consequently RO.

myrmidon132

Mar 7, 2023
Hi, working great so far on Samsung S20 FE (Snapdragon).
Using lineage-20.0-20230324-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvN-vndklite.img .

Just one 'issue' (not really but it's easy to have sometimes to stop some apps from complaining), is there a way to enable signature spoofing?
I've got microg installed, working fine, however it is reporting the "System has signature spoofing support' (checkbox is checked) but the 'System grants signature spoofing permission' is unchecked. Is there a way to enable signature spoofing permission?

Thanks for the great work!

Hi, working great so far on Samsung S20 FE (Snapdragon).
Using lineage-20.0-20230324-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvN-vndklite.img .

Just one 'issue' (not really but it's easy to have sometimes to stop some apps from complaining), is there a way to enable signature spoofing?
I've got microg installed, working fine, however it is reporting the "System has signature spoofing support' (checkbox is checked) but the 'System grants signature spoofing permission' is unchecked. Is there a way to enable signature spoofing permission?

Thanks for the great work!
Use Link2SD or /system/app mover or any similar app that does the same thing to move the app into system. This should fix the issue.

Make your own measurements, although there doesn't seem to be many writeups on it. I should probably sum up how I do overlays into a post some time...
Someone told me that I should make a custom overlay to fix the issue. But, I haven't found any Youtube tutorial or written tutorial about it.

You should make one so that people with the similar issue will be able to fix it.

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Someone told me that I should make a custom overlay to fix the issue. But, I haven't found any Youtube tutorial or written tutorial about it.

You should make one so that people with the similar issue will be able to fix it.
There's your cue...figure it out yourself, make a tutorial, publish it.

m0byn

Feb 13, 2023
Could this post be helpful not to repeat any work?
Maybe you could quickly look over it and let us know if that is still the way to go? Or even include it in OP such that everyone knows from the beginning :)

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Unfortunately, I am not 100% sure what you mean by setting an appropriate density...
Both tablet UI (taskbar) and two-pane are enabled on sufficiently small (albeit different) display sizes. I don't think the setting in Settings - Display size and text would go that low though, so instead one either set a large enough Smallest width in Developer options, or a small enough density via ADB.
Could this post be helpful not to repeat any work?
This mainly outlines getting values from stock, but sometimes stock provides no or dummy values (they can store values in other partitions or under entirely different keys).

Reactions: m0byn

wojtekojtek

Nov 29, 2022
Poland
Microsoft Lumia 950/950 XL

1) /system/product/media
2) Most likely you don't, esp. if it's EROFS on many newer devices.
3) Again, most likely you don't, as fstab is in /vendor and consequently RO.
1) thanks!!

[Edit] - I can rename boitanimation.zip, but I can't copy my bootanimation in media folder.... Help

2) I don't have erofs, I have a samsung device (a137f). I must edit /vendor or atleast repack vendor.img.... really.. because I must DFE to make twrp working... I tried DFE zips, they aren't working.

Last edited:

m0byn

Feb 13, 2023
I am currently trying to flash this GSI on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 (gts4lte), but am not succeeding.

I managed to install TWRP (unfortunately only the WIFI version is available, but others say it works for the LTE version as well). Afterwards, I wiped the usual stuff and tried several different procedures
  1. Flash GSI, then dm - verity disabler (as explained in a different forum by a guy who got LOS 17 running) => stuck at bootanimation of lineage
  2. Flash patched boot.img to remove dm-verity, then GSI => stuck at bootanimation of lineage
  3. Flash GSI, then dm-verity, then Magisk => stuck somewhere earlier, don't remember
  4. Flash GSI and multidisabler.zip => same as only flashing GSI
  5. Flash only GSI => reboots all the time not even proceeding to bootanimation of lineage.
These steps were repeated using the a64_bvN, arm64_bvN, and arm64_bvN-vndklite images.

The Treble Info app shows the following information:
IMG-20230404-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20230404-WA0002.jpg

Also, the Wiki has an article on how to install it on this device, although already from some time ago. Somewhere else, I read that from Android 10 onwards one should use the arm64_b images instead of the a-only. The only thing I did not do was flashing a custom kernel. However, I believe this is only done for disabling encryption. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So, could anyone help out? Did anyone experience a similar problem? Since it is stuck at the lineage bootanimation logo I suspect dm-verity and encryption do not play a role? Do you have any hints or ideas what I could try to make it work? Maybe LOS 19?

I am thankful for any hints or any information regarding this issue!

EDIT: if anyone faces the same problems see this post. Actually, as far as I can guess the reason causing all these problems is that FDE is used instead of FBE...but this is just a guess.

Last edited:

wojtekojtek

Nov 29, 2022
Poland
Microsoft Lumia 950/950 XL
1) thanks!!

[Edit] - I can rename boitanimation.zip, but I can't copy my bootanimation in media folder.... Help

2) I don't have erofs, I have a samsung device (a137f). I must edit /vendor or atleast repack vendor.img.... really.. because I must DFE to make twrp working... I tried DFE zips, they aren't working.
edit edit:
I mounted system.img
but I need 10MB more space... and... what I can delete?
1680718449083.png

sso003

Sep 3, 2012
Hi, what alternative Gapp (OpenG, etc..) can be used with Lineage OS bvN Treble ?
With both 19.1 and 20 I get the error of the /system partition that cannot be resized.

Cheers
The system partition is created with the EXT4_FEATURE_RO_COMPAT_SHARED_BLOCKS flag. It's basically read-only, can't resize, can't edit anything.

Your best bet is to go with the BgN version with Gapps built in.

PalmerBE

Nov 11, 2021
Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G
The system partition is created with the EXT4_FEATURE_RO_COMPAT_SHARED_BLOCKS flag. It's basically read-only, can't resize, can't edit anything.

Your best bet is to go with the BgN version with Gapps built in.
Yes, but I would like to deGoogle my phone as much as possible.

I need only to pass the Safetynet and have the minimum of Google Service . No default app's
Should not be that one of the purpose of LineageOS :) ?

Jokes a part , can I manually de-Google BgN afterword with De-Bloater (for instance)?

Is there a list of the Google app/services included in the BgN so I know what to clean up reducing the risk of killing Lineage?

myrmidon132

Mar 7, 2023
Use Link2SD or /system/app mover or any similar app that does the same thing to move the app into system. This should fix the issue.
Thanks! Still a bit new to these android 'internals' (depends on your level of comfort with it I guess :)..)
However, if I use the /system/app mover or Link2SD, it complains about too few storage in the system-partition.
Checking it with some other app, indeed, the system-partition is almost full so no room to move the app to it.

Is there a safe way to enlarge the system-partition? If I boot into twrp and resize, I guess it should work? I've done it a couple of times on a Linux desktop but don't know how well Android behaves as a Linux system...
I'll try it later this week but maybe somebody has more experience with it?

EDIT: just saw the responses above about the system-partition being read-only, will have to find another way or just live with it I guess.

Thanks! Still a bit new to these android 'internals' (depends on your level of comfort with it I guess :)..)
However, if I use the /system/app mover or Link2SD, it complains about too few storage in the system-partition.
Checking it with some other app, indeed, the system-partition is almost full so no room to move the app to it.

Is there a safe way to enlarge the system-partition? If I boot into twrp and resize, I guess it should work? I've done it a couple of times on a Linux desktop but don't know how well Android behaves as a Linux system...
I'll try it later this week but maybe somebody has more experience with it?

EDIT: just saw the responses above about the system-partition being read-only, will have to find another way or just live with it I guess.
Well, Resizing the partition is kinda hard depending on what device you use.

But, an easy way of doing it is by flashing a gsi .img which is larger than the Lineage OS GSI .img using fastboot and then, flashing the Lineage OS GSI .img using TWRP.

This will leave some space because TWRP doesn't resize partition when flashing while Fastboot does.

Or, If you want, you can remove some system apps that isn't needed for the system to function.

And regarding the read-only system issue, use .imgs marked with VNDKLITE to make system rw.

Reactions: myrmidon132

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated all variants with April security patches. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]
    640px-Lineage_OS_Logo.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
    All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS GitHub repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

MUST-READ BACKGROUND - Android 13 and the two approaches:
    As some of you already know, due to various reasons, @phhusson , who kickstarted the GSI trend and committed to it over the years, is backing out from future development
    - there won't be any AOSP 13+ builds or patches directly from him. He did most of the heavylifting for fixing bugs and implementing features, and selflessly supported more than his AOSP GSIs and more than devices he own. For the situation of GSIs today, we owe him a big thank-you.
    Earlier, inspired by @PeterCxy , I took the "light" approach, which starts over from AOSP's generic gsi_* target and adds the minimum amount of fixes needed for my own devices, intentionally leaving many legacy devices behind. For more details about it, visit its own thread.
    Meanwhile, a number of existing builders incl. myself have formed the TrebleDroid organization, with PHH himself helping us in technical issues. TD will forward-port PHH's final patches (v415) onto Android 13 and attempt to fix new issues. This is still a new and ongoing process, but if done right, will have compatibility and feature-completion on par with past PHH-based GSIs. This thread contains LOS builds based on TrebleDroid's collective work, which supposedly suits legacy devices, Samsung, etc. better than "light".

Disclaimer:
    No flashing instructions will be offered. If you're here in this forum, you should know what you're doing.
    No guarantees that everything would work. This is a GSI, bugs are bound to happen.

MUST-READ - reporting bugs:
    If you want to report a bug, then you MUST try reproducing on an AOSP reference build of around the same date from TrebleDroid, and ONLY proceed to report here when it's specific to this GSI. This filters out bugs common to all TD-based GSIs, which you should still let me know, but it might not be mine to fix. I might silently ignore your report if you skip this.

Download:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/
    Scroll down for the naming rules of variants.
    Compressed as .xz archives - extract first.

Stuff on GitHub (builders-only):
    Most things should be self-explanatory. Not the cleanest code, but should help if you need some clues.
    Thanks to:
    • The LineageOS team
    • @phhusson - shaped the treble community, and still takes care of TrebleDroid at a higher level
    • @PeterCxy - coded critical fixes such as sysbta
    • The TrebleDroid builders
    • ...and more
    Donate?
    https://paypal.me/AndyCGYan
    Notes:
    • I now have a rather taxing day job, and can't devote nearly as much time/effort into this as I did as a student, or even a year ago.
    • I now daily-drive "light", so I can't test TD-based builds as extensively as before. For the same reason, I likely won't build/upload any TD-based "personal" build either.
    • While most >=A13 GSIs out there are going to be TD-based, some perform better than others - some devs have their own patches that haven't been merged into TD yet. I myself will stay close to TD's raw patchset as much as possible, without picking patches from others left and right. If you find another GSI working better, don't just complain - try to narrow down which ones, and the intersection of them might be an unmerged patch that, if approved, would be merged into TD and benefit all.
    • GAPPS builds are offered as-is without guarantees. As a Chinese I can't/won't help with GAPPS/SN issues - please help each other out.
    • ADB is intentionally insecure, even on first boot (turned on by default and no authentication needed). GSIs are more fragile compared to device-specific custom ROMs, both on first boot (no-boot issues) and on subsequent boots (after tuning certain Treble settings), and I insist that no-auth ADB is a must-have for debugging and general fail-safe.
    • Signature spoofing (MicroG) is supported, but only for priv-apps. This is a security consideration from PHH.
    • On *S variants, install PHH-SU and you'll get basic root for apps, good for devices that don't play well with Magisk or when you don't need modules.
    • Refer to this post for explanation/workaround of an MediaTek-specific kernel bug that causes no internet.
    Updated all variants with January security patches. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

We don't have a holiday season around Christmas / new year here; quite the opposite, the end of a year usually means the toughest work and the most urgent deadlines. The more I work overtime and code, the less I want to even read any code for ROMs at home - the scale almost tipped over by the end of December.
    The bright side is I finally got to catch a breather to adjust my patches some more, but I still don't have enough time yet to migrate my daily device to A14 (to better test it). Moreover, even by now, LOS21 still has lots of unmerged stuff, and needs a carefully maintained picklist to get going.
    I'll still try to make a thread-worthy release within this month, but with what I can devote to ROMs nowadays, don't expect a daily driver out of it.
    Updated all variants with April security patches and in sync with TD 20230417. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

All modern Xiaomi/Redmi devices should be able to see high refresh rates now (if supported), without having to spoof properties globally.
    Updated all variants with July security patches. [Insert obligatory backup-and-test warning here]

I just realized that I haven't included PHH-SU app in *S (while I did over at Light) - this has been corrected.

@Jonny - although I still very much doubt that the uname change is related to the alarm, adding it back is trivial, so now it's back.