• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GSI][Android 10] Install AOSP 10 on Huawei Honor 6X.

Was this useful?

• Nah!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Djiban

Aug 22, 2014
Saint Remy les chevreuse
In the twrp recovery I have attached, it shows as recovery itself. In some it'll show as recovery_ramdisk. So if one exists, other doesn't exist. You could flash it to any thing but DONT FLASH TO ERECOVERY. its totally different
my point is: the twrp.img is indeed TWRP recovery , and not stock recovery. If so your explanation is wrong, to flash stock recovery, the command is not

adb push -p twrp.img /sdcard/

but

adb push -p STOCK_RECOVERY_RAMDISK.img /sdcard/

right?

Spiteful

Aug 24, 2021
Hi, I was using the TWRP Recovery provided by the in the post, but for some reason I was not able to resize the System partition to install gapps. Is there something I have to do to allow the partitions to be resized?

Spiteful

Aug 24, 2021
Unmount and remount system partition as writable or reboot to recovery again
I tried the second method in this video which also did the trick, apparently older versions of TWRP do not support resizing of partitions. I will try your suggestion and let you know if that also works.

I ran into another issue after flashing in gapps where I get stuck in 'Just a sec...' after declining to allow connecting to WiFi. There is some window that flashes away really quickly so I cannot see what it was saying.

Edit: It's phhusson's GSI AOSP 11 that seems to be having trouble with gapps. If you flashed the phone with AOSP 10 image and gapps, the set up process work. Also alternatively instead of using system-quack-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img, you can also just use system-quack-arm64-aonly-gapps.img which comes with gapps preloaded into the image.

Edit2: I took a leap of faith and tried flashing a TWRP 3.5.2 build from haky86 and I was able to get it to boot! I guess it really is true that the ROMs and Recoveries for the Hi6250 (EMUI 8) are interchangeable. The partitions seemed to look different in the new version. You can still downgrade to an older TWRP build by flashing the recovery ramdisk which is a good thing. The problem is that if you flash images using the new TWRP build, Android won't boot up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Venkata Lochan Nune

Spiteful

Aug 24, 2021
Was anyone successful on installing Magisk on pphusson's GSI roms? I tried to install 22.1 and 23.0 and both failed to work.

For anyone also trying this, don't forget to back up your /boot partition in TWRP. Installing Magisk modifies the boot.img and if it fails to work, you can restore the image without having to dload back to EMUI 5 and upgrading your way back up again.

Edit: I was able to flash in a working Android 11 build by DarkJoker360. There is no need to flash back the stock firmware to fix the boot loop. You just need to flash the zip that decrypts the storage just one time. The data wiping seems to work in TWRP as well. You should now just be able to use a much newer version of TWRP + Android 11. It seems to also have the ability to support Magisk.

Last edited:

Venkata Lochan Nune

Apr 19, 2021
India
Lenovo A7000
Honor 6X
Was anyone successful on installing Magisk on pphusson's GSI roms? I tried to install 22.1 and 23.0 and both failed to work.

For anyone also trying this, don't forget to back up your /boot partition in TWRP. Installing Magisk modifies the boot.img and if it fails to work, you can restore the image without having to dload back to EMUI 5 and upgrading your way back up again.

Edit: I was able to flash in a working Android 11 build by DarkJoker360. There is no need to flash back the stock firmware to fix the boot loop. You just need to flash the zip that decrypts the storage just one time. The data wiping seems to work in TWRP as well. You should now just be able to use a much newer version of TWRP + Android 11. It seems to also have the ability to support Magisk.
Magisk is totally different in our device. See P Q R manual fixes thread in xda for its installation procedure and files. You can also find them in the telegram group. Android 11 has boot issues on our device. So, you need to decrypt the device first.

Umm sorry didn't see your full message.

dload back to EMUI 5 and upgrading your way back up again.
That isn't needed. You can see my thread on getting back to emui 8 in the guides section.

Spiteful

Aug 24, 2021
Magisk is totally different in our device. See P Q R manual fixes thread in xda for its installation procedure and files. You can also find them in the telegram group. Android 11 has boot issues on our device. So, you need to decrypt the device first.
I was looking through that P Q R manual fixes posts and I think I found it.

Last edited:

Venkata Lochan Nune

Apr 19, 2021
India
Lenovo A7000
Honor 6X
Apr 18, 2019
hey thanks for the build apreciate your work for what seems a dead phone on all threads.
i was just wondering if i could flash havoc gsi since it is based on aosp 10 and run the same fixes you did will it work or am i just gonna have to try it out?
edit: just found out you said you can use other gsi builds

Last edited:

Venkata Lochan Nune

Apr 19, 2021
India
Lenovo A7000
Honor 6X
hey thanks for the build apreciate your work for what seems a dead phone on all threads.
i was just wondering if i could flash havoc gsi since it is based on aosp 10 and run the same fixes you did will it work or am i just gonna have to try it out?
Havoc seems to work fine as per some users. Nevertheless you could try it.

See this group for many more roms, fixes and support : https://t.me/hi6250group.

The latest tested havoc one https://t.me/hi6250group/179459 (https://sourceforge.net/projects/ha...20201230-Official-arm64-aonly.img.xz/download)

Remember they might have small bugs as they are gsi's.

Good luck.

PS. When there's android 11, why did you try the old 10?

Apr 18, 2019
Havoc seems to work fine as per some users. Nevertheless you could try it.

See this group for many more roms, fixes and support : https://t.me/hi6250group.

The latest tested havoc one https://t.me/hi6250group/179459 (https://sourceforge.net/projects/ha...20201230-Official-arm64-aonly.img.xz/download)

Remember they might have small bugs as they are gsi's.

Good luck.

PS. When there's android 11, why did you try the old 10?
the linage os18.1 by DarkJoker360 post was good but im aiming for something more stable if the 11 is as stable as the 10 link me would appreciate it

Venkata Lochan Nune

Apr 19, 2021
India
Lenovo A7000
Honor 6X
Reactions: Haytham Tantoush

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unmount and remount system partition as writable or reboot to recovery again
    I tried the second method in this video which also did the trick, apparently older versions of TWRP do not support resizing of partitions. I will try your suggestion and let you know if that also works.

I ran into another issue after flashing in gapps where I get stuck in 'Just a sec...' after declining to allow connecting to WiFi. There is some window that flashes away really quickly so I cannot see what it was saying.

Edit: It's phhusson's GSI AOSP 11 that seems to be having trouble with gapps. If you flashed the phone with AOSP 10 image and gapps, the set up process work. Also alternatively instead of using system-quack-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img, you can also just use system-quack-arm64-aonly-gapps.img which comes with gapps preloaded into the image.

Edit2: I took a leap of faith and tried flashing a TWRP 3.5.2 build from haky86 and I was able to get it to boot! I guess it really is true that the ROMs and Recoveries for the Hi6250 (EMUI 8) are interchangeable. The partitions seemed to look different in the new version. You can still downgrade to an older TWRP build by flashing the recovery ramdisk which is a good thing. The problem is that if you flash images using the new TWRP build, Android won't boot up.

edit: just found out you said you can use other gsi builds
    the linage os18.1 by DarkJoker360 post was good but im aiming for something more stable if the 11 is as stable as the 10 link me would appreciate it
    DarkJoker's Lineage OS was the most stable ROM i've ever used. you can find it in the telegram group i've mentioned or you can even find it here : https://t.me/DarkJoker360 (his own channel)

Direct Link : https://darkjoker360.github.io/2021/LineageOS-18.1-P8-Lite-2017/
    DarkJoker's Lineage OS was the most stable ROM i've ever used. you can find it in the telegram group i've mentioned or you can even find it here : https://t.me/DarkJoker360 (his own channel)

Direct Link : https://darkjoker360.github.io/2021/LineageOS-18.1-P8-Lite-2017/
    thanks will try it out.
    POST - v14
    (This number will increase every time the post is updated.)
    What's new in v14?
    Corrected some simple mistakes in procedure.
    Modified overall post for better UX.

What's new in v13?
    Modified Gapps part in requirements to make it more clear.
    Added useful information section. for Pro Noobs and Ultra Noobs like me.
    What's new in v12?
    Added User Contributions and feedback section.
    Added Miscellaneous recommendations section.
    Modified some steps in installation procedure to make it even more noob friendly.
    Linked @lmaohelp's thread.
    Decreased size of text in procedure.

This ROM is based on Android 10 GSI builds of @phhusson (Thanks a ton to him).
    Thanks to @Hami_Do for his hi6250 patches.
    Thanks to Huawei for making their phones nearly unbrickable 🤣🤣.
    Thanks to @Djiban for his ideas on improving the thread.

Follow this thread only if you know what you're doing. I'm not responsibe for any damage or thermonuclear wars 🙄.

Read the post completely and understand it before doing anything ATLEAST FOR THE SAKE OF MANKIND ❗❕❗.

This thread is best viewed in PC and is Noob Friendly.
    Note that I was using flux substratum theme in the screenshots. Hence, icons and colors may vary on your device.​

Requirements:
    • Huawei Honor 6X (Unlocked Bootloader. If not, follow this post (using PotatoNV) or YouTube video.
    • EMUI 8 (If not, you could follow this guide, direct file : link).
    • GSI from link (download system-quack-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img.xz, you could try others but arm64, a-only is must).
    • TWRP from attchments or link or any other TWRP recovery compatible with Honor 6X EMUI 8.
    • Gapps(Optional, I used nano OpenGapps, NikGapps gave an error during installing, You can also try others. You can directly try the img with gapps instead of vanilla but i prefer nano gapps over vanilla).
    • stock recovery.
    • Time.
    • PC.
    • ADB and Fastboot.
    • Patience.
    • Human Brain.
    ALL IN ONE GUIDE : Check it out here. It contains every thing in detail all the way from bricked device -> EMUI 2 -> EMUI 5 -> EMUI 8 -> AOSP 10 (mentioned in this post). Thanks to @lmaohelp for his effort and describing everything in detail.

Useful Information :
    • What on the Earth is meant by Vanilla android? -> it is the stock / pure version of android without Google apps and services.
    • What is OpenGapps? Check it out at OpenGapps.org!
    • What is Nano (not the mathematical 10^-9) Gapps? It is a version of Gapps with Minimal installation which means only the core part of gapps is installed with very little major apps. They can be installed later.
    • What is ARM64? it is a 64 bit operating system/platform.
    • What on the moon is AOSP? It stands for android open source project which is the purest form of android.
    NOTE : My device bootlooped whenever I tried installing Magisk. So, better stick with the PHH-SuperUser that you get out-of-the-box with the system image.
    NOTE : Skip every step with gapps if you are already using img with gapps.

What isn't working :
    VoLTE (can't be fixed as per my knowledge), Camera (FIXED NOW | trying to find a fix, replacing libcamxxx could help), Flashlight (FIXED NOW | also trying to find a fix, fixing camera may fix this too).
    CAMERA AND TORCH HAVE BEEN FIXED. Thanks to @Hami_Do (flash the attched patch file whenever you are bored, LOL)

What's Working :
    Everything except the ones mentioned above VoLTE.
    *Tell me if something else isn't working.

***If you have a bricked device/messed up somewhere during the process and unable to figure out what to do, follow this guide by @lmaohelp .***
    Procedure :
    • Make sure your device is running EMUI 8.
    • Extract downloaded image using some xz extractor(7zip can also do this), copy it to pc.
    • Reboot your device to TWRP recovery.
    • Format the data partition {Wipe > Format data > type "yes"}
    • (Optional) In TWRP, choose wipe > advanced wipe > select system, data, cache and DALVIK and format them.
    • Check if your device is detected by adb using
      Code:
      adb devices
    • Move the img file using adb to device
      Code:
      adb push -p *img-name*.img /sdcard/
      (the img file must be in adb directory).
    • (Optional, only if you want nano gapps over vanilla) Move Gapps in the same manner
      Code:
      adb push -p *gapps-name*.zip /sdcard/
      (the zip file must be in adb directory).
    • Install img as system image {Install > Install Image > Select > Choose system image > Swipe➡}.
    • (Optional, only if you want nano gapps over vanilla) Unmount and Remount system partition. Go to wipe > advanced wipe > Choose system > resize. Flash gapps.
    • Flash stock recovery(also available in attachments) with twrp in the same way. push it with adb using
      Code:
      adb push -p STOCK_RECOVERY_RAMDISK.img /sdcard/
      and flash it with twrp as "Recovery" after choosing install image.
    • Disconnect your device from PC and reboot to recovery(stock one).
    • Clear cache partition and perform a factory reset(You'll get an error during factory reset but you have to do it) (your device will bootloop if wiped with twrp itself).
    • Reboot, Cross your fingers 🤞 and wait.
    >If you flashed gapps over vanilla, the first boot would take about 5 mins. else, it would be very fast. Subsequent boots on both are quite fast.

>Sometimes, I observed that flashing gapps from internal storage caused bootloop(this is because of corrupt zip), in such case get back to EMUI 8, repeat the process by flashing gapps from micro sd.

*you'll get a warning that something wrong with your device every time you boot it. IGNORE IT.

Additionals:
    > If you messed up somewhere during installation, you can always recover your device by following this guide.
    > If you have the update.zip file from the above mentioned EMUI 8 folder directly, you could just directly flash it after wiping data, system and cache(use adb push or microsd to transfer update.zip to device).
    >Its better to charge your device to atleast 70% before doing anything as you'll have ample of time to recover it if you messed up something. If not, you can still charge your device in eRecovery mode and twrp but i found some issues like heating up and slow charging.
    >Don't forget to set ringtone, notification and other sounds from settings after booting.

Updates :
    • I was able to install magisk by flashing unSU zip from @Hami_Do 's thread on hi6250 manual fixes and then flashing phh's magisk after deleting phh-su from /system/bin/ but sadly, I wasn't able to use quickswitch for other launchers as it needs magisk version of 20.4 (min.) but phh's magisk is 19.3 and substratum theme engine is not working (due to some error). So, I'm sticking with the root that comes out of the box and I recommend you to do the same. EXTRAS : The Phone and Messaging apps that came out of the box with the GSI stopped working after installing magisk. So, you are installing magisk, just replace these system apps from LineageOS ones or delete them and install the google phone and messaging from play store.
    • During multiple tests (installing, modifying and testing the GSI for its stability in multiple ways), I found that you need not always go back to stock EMUI 8 if you messed up something. This works without error but if you have some time, getting back to stock EMUI 8 is still recommended before installing some other ROM/GSI.
    • Try not to touch the finger print sensor when you are at the setup after first boot. This is making the finger print sensor not recognisable until next reboot.
    User Feedback and Contributions :
    Thanks to @OrionThyHunter for his feedback and some fixes :

Using the Greenify app will stop the finger print sensor from working. FIX : Disable "Alternative Screen Off Mode".
    Thanks to @[email protected] for finding out he following issues :
    Adaptive Brightness Doesn't work. Flash the attachment in this post to fix it.

To pass SafetyNet, follow this post.

Miscellaneous Recommendations :
    Use Google Camera Go app for photos. Its much better than the GSI's stock one.

😊Happy Flashing !

Screenshot 1.png
    Screenshot 2.png

Screenshot 3.png
    Screenshot 4.png
    thank you it worked, now waiting for volte and camera fix on next update.... please update soon.... waiting waiting waiting........
    I think VoLTE can't be fixed.

For camera, you have to replace each file in /system/lib/ starting with libcam(libcamxyz...) from stock emui 8 and check each possible combination with subsequent reboots. I'm a little bit busy right now as I'm working on AOSP 11(as I believe it'll run without much problems because it has been tested on other hi6250 devices) with @Djiban. You could just do this on your own. If you find any working combination, please post it in this thread.
    thank you it worked, now waiting for volte and camera fix on next update.... please update soon.... waiting waiting waiting........
    Finally, Fixed it dude(camera and torch) by replacing libraries! Found a patch that does the same thing. Updated the Original post.

Tried a lot to fix VoLTE but didn't work... will try again later.

CHECK IT OUT!

#endyourwait LOL! 😂😂🤣🤣
    Hi again, I got this installed using TWRP, and I still have TWRP installed because I don't have the stock recovery. The system boots but it is giving me an error saying encryption unsuccessful, with a button saying "erase all data" which does nothing, and I am unable to do anything.

I was having this error when I first installed EMUI 8 from EMUI 5 as well, but at least the button took me to eRecovery, where the factory reset would fail at 5-6%. Currently if I go into eRecovery and click factory reset, it just reboots and takes me to TWRP again. Also, when I go into eRecovery it asks me to reformat the partition because it is "corrupted", which somehow changes the file system for /data to f2fs, and causes the phone to be stuck on the android boot animation. When I change /data back to ext4 I am able to boot back to the screen of encryption unsuccessful.

How do I fix this issue and be able to use the phone? Attached is a screenshot of the error message the OS is giving me.
    do you mean, you testing ASOP 11 on honor 6x ? if yes wow......
    Nope, not now. @Djiban is quite busy and for me to work, I'm not having a spare device. He'll do it when he's got free time.

I didn't find much noticeable differences between AOSP 10 and 11 execpt some ui improvements and under-the-hood improvements. So, I'll skip AOSP 11 and directly will work with AOSP 12 on future. I liked the new things introduced in android 12. So, I'll definitely work on it.