• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GSI][ANDROID 12 STABLE] Android 12 and any GSI larger than 2.6GB

Search This thread

MridulDR

Jun 17, 2020
Google Pixel 2 XL
Can you please report on ahat's working and what's not working
I was also successful in booting pixel 5 android 12 gsi which is much more stable than the 3a port(it was sluggish)
On both ports:
NFC, Bluetooth, D2W/D2S and calling doesn't work. Rest all works perfectly.
Currently I'm on the pixel 5 port and I have to say it's very smooth and stable.

Note: you will have to make your system partition of 4 GB instead of 3 GB to flash the pixel 5 system image.

HR-21

Jun 16, 2018
Udaipur
Can you please report on ahat's working and what's not working
I have also tried flashing nippon beta 5 gsi port from pixel 3xl & 3axl, i was able to boot these GSI but unfortunately Bluetooth & calling did not work for me as well. I have tried to find solution for volte but i couldn't.
Pixel 2xl is my primary device so calling is must for me thats why i roll back to pixelexperience android 11 rom.
@MridulDR @vatva69
Someone suggest me in Nippon GSI support group on telegram to use Rom that has "R blob Vendor", it can easily fix the volte calling issue in GSI.
Also we can edit "Overlays" that can also fix many GSI related issues.
But i do not know what is "R blob vendor" & How to edit "Overlays" so i did not try it yet.
If any senior member know about it then please guide us.

Screenshot_20210924-040901_YouTube~2.png

I only found below flashing file (it is a magisk modual) for volte fix but it is for poco f1, i don't know it will work for pixel 2xl or not but i will try it after few days.

Attachments

• volte+padding_fix_poco_f1.zip
    95.4 KB · Views: 12

MridulDR

Jun 17, 2020
Google Pixel 2 XL
I have also tried flashing nippon beta 5 gsi port from pixel 3xl & 3axl, i was able to boot these GSI but unfortunately Bluetooth & calling did not work for me as well. I have tried to find solution for volte but i couldn't.
Pixel 2xl is my primary device so calling is must for me thats why i roll back to pixelexperience android 11 rom.
@MridulDR @vatva69
Someone suggest me in Nippon GSI support group on telegram to use Rom that has "R blob Vendor", it can easily fix the volte calling issue in GSI.
Also we can edit "Overlays" that can also fix many GSI related issues.
But i do not know what is "R blob vendor" & How to edit "Overlays" so i did not try it yet.
If any senior member know about it then please guide us.

View attachment 5417231
I only found below flashing file (it is a magisk modual) for volte fix but it is for poco f1, i don't know it will work for pixel 2xl or not but i will try it after few days.
@HR-21 don't bother I already tried this method, and doing this, in turn, breaks the fingerprint as the magisk module targets vendor partition.

From "R Blob Vendor" I'm assuming that they were conveying to use the stable base vendor of android 11 (R), to which @Dollscythe already said to use DotOS as base os in this thread.

I'm not sure about the overlays though.

It'd be great help if any senior/new member with some knowledge about it could help us regarding this.

Reactions: all43 and HR-21

Langduscher

Jan 30, 2012
Texel
Note: you will have to make your system partition of 4 GB instead of 3 GB to flash the pixel 5 system image.

Is there an easy way to do increase the system partition?

I get this error message:

Sending sparse 'system_a' 1/6 (500352 KB) OKAY [ 35.941s] Writing 'system_a' FAILED (remote: 'Image is too large for the partition') fastboot: error: Command failed

Following the link from OP I am unsure on how to increase the system partition and change the others.

Thanks in advance 🤗

MridulDR

Jun 17, 2020
Google Pixel 2 XL
Is there an easy way to do increase the system partition?

I get this error message:

Sending sparse 'system_a' 1/6 (500352 KB) OKAY [ 35.941s] Writing 'system_a' FAILED (remote: 'Image is too large for the partition') fastboot: error: Command failed

Following the link from OP I am unsure on how to increase the system partition and change the others.

Thanks in advance 🤗
Firstly I wouldn't suggest doing this, as you can HARD BRICK your device period.
Now that that's out of the way, you just have to follow all the steps from the link in the OP in the same order, just instead of adding 3100 to 169 MB(system_a, system_b) you add 4100 to it. And accordingly increase the rest of the values sequentially.
For eg:
mkpart system_a ext4 169MB 4269MB
mkpart system_b ext4 4269MB 8369MB
mkpart pstore 8369MB 8379MB
mkpart aes_a 8379MB 8380MB
mkpart aes_b 8380MB 8381MB
mkpart align_parti 8381MB 8391MB
mkpart userdata ext4 8391MB 62400MB

Edit: This'll only work for 64 GB variant.

If all goes well then after naming the partitions check whether all the partitions you made are there and are in the sequential order as before as written in the link from OP(DOUBLE CHECK THIS)

NOTE: As you're modifying the system partition I wouldn't recommend doing anything other than whats written in the link from OP, as that works 100%. This'll work no doubt but if anything goes south it's on you.

Last edited:

Langduscher

Jan 30, 2012
Texel
Firstly I wouldn't suggest doing this, as you can HARD BRICK your device period.
Now that that's out of the way, you just have to follow all the steps from the link in the OP in the same order, just instead of adding 3100 to 169 MB(system_a, system_b) you add 4100 to it. And accordingly increase the rest of the values sequentially.
For eg:

If all goes well then after naming the partitions check whether all the partitions you made are there and are in the sequential order as before as written in the link from OP(DOUBLE CHECK THIS)

NOTE: As you're modifying the system partition I wouldn't recommend doing anything other than whats written in the link from OP, as that works 100%. This'll work no doubt but if anything goes south it's on you.

Thank you for taking the time to help and wrap my head around the subject , much appreciated!

Is this the same way a custom recovery increases the system partition?

Dollscythe

Jul 23, 2021
For eg:

Dont give users technical advice that could brick their devices.

If you want to increase system partition, IT'S LITERALLY THE FIRST LINK IN THE THREAD.

there's a STEP BY STEP GUIDE THAT YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW 100% OR ELSE YOUR DEVICE IS PERMANENTLY DEAD.

Dollscythe

Jul 23, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to help and wrap my head around the subject , much appreciated!

There are no custom recoveries that can do that.

However. I'm working on a tool that will automate that process. There's a closed beta in the telegram channel and it will see a beta release on xda soon.

MridulDR

Jun 17, 2020
Google Pixel 2 XL

If you want to increase system partition, IT'S LITERALLY THE FIRST LINK IN THE THREAD.

there's a STEP BY STEP GUIDE THAT YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW 100% OR ELSE YOUR DEVICE IS PERMANENTLY DEAD.
Sorry about that, but the advice I gave is tested by me and it works 100% if followed accurately.
And I even added a Disclaimer at the start and end saying follow this on you own, and it's best to follow the guide given by the link from OP.

I'm sorry again.

Dollscythe

Jul 23, 2021
Sorry about that, but the advice I gave is tested by me and it works 100% if followed accurately.
And I even added a Disclaimer at the start and end saying follow this on you own, and it's best to follow the guide given by the link from OP.

I'm sorry again.
The reason i advised against your post is because it only works for 64GB variants. If they have 128GB phone, then half of their storage is gone. Cheers

Reactions: AbstractMind87

Langduscher

Jan 30, 2012
Texel

I'm sorry again.

The reason i advised against your post is because it only works for 64GB variants. If they have 128GB phone, then half of their storage is gone. Cheers

It's all good ✌ I asked for a clarification to learn and @MridulDR 's explanation on top of your OP wrapped my head around the subject: I know understand what I'm doing. The last part of the resizing (64 vs 128Gb) I actually understood. It is clearly stated too 👍

That's what XDA is about for me: learning. In fact, I successfully flashed A12b5.

However. I'm working on a tool that will automate that process. There's a closed beta in the telegram channel and it will see a beta release on xda soon.

I found this video where TWRP resizes the system partition, hence my question 🙂

A tool that automates what I've learned from your post would be awesome.
I don't use Telegram so I'll patiently wait until it arrives here.

HR-21

Jun 16, 2018
Udaipur
It's all good ✌ I asked for a clarification to learn and @MridulDR 's explanation on top of your OP wrapped my head around the subject: I know understand what I'm doing. The last part of the resizing (64 vs 128Gb) I actually understood. It is clearly stated too 👍

That's what XDA is about for me: learning. In fact, I successfully flashed A12b5.

I found this video where TWRP resizes the system partition, hence my question 🙂

A tool that automates what I've learned from your post would be awesome.
I don't use Telegram so I'll patiently wait until it arrives here.
I have also tried nippon Pixel 3 & 3Axl beta 5 GSI and they boot very well but volte did not work and on 3G network there is no audio during calls... Bluetooth also did not work.
Were you able to solve these issues?
If anybody can help, please guide me.

Reactions: vatva69

Langduscher

Jan 30, 2012
Texel
I have also tried nippon Pixel 3 & 3Axl beta 5 GSI and they boot very well but volte did not work and on 3G network there is no audio during calls... Bluetooth also did not work.
Were you able to solve these issues?
If anybody can help, please guide me.

No Bluetooth, no NFC, no Volte and no audio in callls are known issues with Android 13 beta GSIs.

A fix for Volte is posted in this thread, it requires root tho.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you need help, feel free to post logs here. For more discussions about Android 12/GSIs join the telegram group!!

*REQUIRED FOR GSI* Follow the guide I made here to increase your system partition.
    Download Android 12 Stable (Pixel 4a) GSI here: Direct link.
    You don't need Gapps, they are preloaded.

Make sure to use Android 11 as base before flashing the GSI.

After that, you can install any GSI/flash any size Gapps without issue.

1. Reboot into fastboot mode.
    2. Wipe your data partition: fastboot format:ext4 userdata
    3. Clean cache and factory reset: fastboot -w
    4. flash the GSI: fastboot flash system_a path/to/system.img
    5. flash the GSI in other slot: fastboot flash system_b path/to/system.img
    6. Test boot.
    If it doesn't boot, download vbmeta for your device and flash in fastboot mode.
    1. fastboot flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta.img
    2. fastboot -w
    Bugs:
    • No sound in call.
    Some fixes:
    • Install GMS with adb install -r -d path/to/gms.apk to login to Google (not necessary anymore)
    • After flashing system image, don't reboot into system, immediately boot into TWRP and flash this file! This is necessary to disable encryption, so TWRP can boot successfully.

1627349705135.png
    1627352232766.png
    Screenshot_20210727-043809.png
    Screenshot_20210727-043817.png
    Screenshot_20210727-043846.png
    Screenshot_20210727-043852.png
    Screenshot_20210727-043714.png
    Screenshot_20210727-043323.png

download
    As you guys may know, protonAOSP dropped support for Taimen/Walleye.

Fret not. protonAOSP 12 is coming. Here it is running nicely on my pixel 2XL. Currently still in beta (calls are working though, so it's pretty much ready).

Taimen is not dead

EDIT: Build is up
    Update! With GMS, overlay, and fingerprint sensor fixes. We are getting closer!

And the users that had unbootable slot error, it should be fixed too if you flash vbmeta. Make sure to follow the fixes section too.

EDIT: RIL is fine, SMS is fine, we can even accept and take calls. But there's no sound! Any devs can chime in and help?

Hey @Dollscythe ,

Any update/comment on Pixel Experience Alpha Builds?

I understand that these are "Alpha" builds, however, if you've tried it... please share a comment
    Those builds have pretty much everything working. Make sure to get the latest one.

i'm also building protonAOSP 12. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/android-12-rom-09-nov-2021-protonaosp-12-0-0.4358955/