[GSI][ANDROID 12 STABLE] Android 12 and any GSI larger than 2.6GB

Search This thread

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Moderator Announcement

Thread has been cleaned from references and links to 4pda!

4pda is not only another phone related website (and not at all affiliated with xda-developers) but also well known for the distribution of malware and warez.
References to 4pda are not accepted on XDA. I uge EVERYBODY to refrain from such references in future!

XDA Forum Rules (excerpt):
6. Do not post or request warez.

If a piece of software requires you to pay to use it, then pay for it. We do not accept warez nor do we permit members to request, post, promote or describe ways in which warez, cracks, serial codes or other means of avoiding payment, can be obtained or used. This is a site of developers, i.e. the sort of people who create such software. When you cheat a software developer, you cheat us as a community.

(...)

11. Don’t post with the intention of selling something.
  • Don’t use XDA to advertise your product or service. Proprietors of for-pay products or services, may use XDA to get feedback, provide beta access, or a free version of their product for XDA users and to offer support, but not to post with the intention of selling. This includes promoting sites similar / substantially similar to XDA-Developers.com.
  • Do not post press releases, announcements, links to trial software or commercial services, unless you’re posting an exclusive release for XDA-Developers.com.
  • Encouraging members to participate in forum activities on other phone related sites is prohibited.
  • Off-site downloads are permitted if the site is non-commercial and does not require registration.
  • Off-site downloads from sites requiring registration are NOT encouraged but may be permitted if both of the following conditions are met:
    A) The site belongs to a member of XDA-Developers with at least 1500 posts and 2 years membership, who actively maintains an XDA-Developers support thread(s) / posts, related to the download.
    B) The site is a relatively small, personal website without commercial advertising / links (i.e. not a competitor forum-based site with purposes and aims similar to those of XDA-Developers.com.)

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

73sydney

Account currently disabled
ArrowOS 12 is available in beta (with gapps, and smoother build) . Find it here: download

Been running it for a day now, solid, no issues. Only thing that doesnt work is NFC as noted.

Note torch also doesnt work...but minor...

Only app of mine that doesnt work is call recorder as that access has changed in A12

update:

Torch IS working, for some reason for the first few boots the camera was somehow blocking its use (quick toggle was greyed out)

Last edited:

Rimmer1966

Oct 14, 2010
Project Treble
Can you confirm that the Material You is working?
Yes, working fine. I'm on the GAPPS version and everything seems to work including NFC. The only thing not working for me is I can't use Google Pay or install banking apps. Maybe linked to Encryption not working maybe? Anyway for such an early ROM its great. Looking forward to ABC ROM 12. :)

Rimmer1966

Oct 14, 2010
Project Treble
Does anyone have any advice? I've followed the guide to resize the partitions and this guide to install a GSI. But no matter what I try I can't get it to boot, it just loops. I've tried starting from DotOS 11 as recommended but that didn't work. I've tried using Arrow 12 as a base but that didn't work either.. Don't know what I'm doing wrong so any help would be appreciated..

sharanoth

Jul 23, 2021
Does anyone have any advice? I've followed the guide to resize the partitions and this guide to install a GSI. But no matter what I try I can't get it to boot, it just loops. I've tried starting from DotOS 11 as recommended but that didn't work. I've tried using Arrow 12 as a base but that didn't work either.. Don't know what I'm doing wrong so any help would be appreciated..
Do you still have access to the bootloader?

coolsid8

Feb 15, 2011
India
I tried running Arrow OS 12 but i can't get it to boot. I flashed it successfully but it gets stuck on the Arrow OS logo on boot. Tried multiple times.

PablosCorner

Aug 26, 2018
pabloscorner.akawah.net
Does anyone know any Android 12 (non-beta version) GSIs that are confirmed working for Pixel 2 XL? The GSI that was originally linked in the OP is dead and the only GSI I see on XDA for Android 12 is a Pixel Experience 12 alpha GSI, but is around 3.22 GB, which seems to be bigger than what the companion guide sets us up with, so I don't know if that GSI would work.

I do see other people mentioning GSI ports of the Pixel 5 firmware or Arrow OS builds but I can't seem to find those anywhere.

coolsid8

Feb 15, 2011
India
ArrowOS works fine but it doesn't support VoLTE. You need to download it from {Mod edit}

Last edited by a moderator:

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
ArrowOS works fine but it doesn't support VoLTE. You need to download it from {Mod edit}
@coolsid8

I've edited your above post and removed the link to Telegram from it. As an exemption from the last bullet of rule no. 5 of the XDA Forum Rules, we grant only developers the privilege to share references to their social media in their own development threads. These conditions obviously don't apply to your post or you. Please refrain from sharing of social media in future. Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

sharanoth

Jul 23, 2021
@coolsid8

I've edited your above post and removed the link to Telegram from it. As an exemption from the last bullet of rule no. 5 of the XDA Forum Rules, we grant only developers the privilege to share references to their social media in their own development threads. These conditions obviously don't apply to your post or you. Please refrain from sharing of social media in future. Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator
And plus, it's a closed beta and it is not suitable for sharing (still buggy). thanks for deleting that link.

people, just wait for android 12 roms, they are coming.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you need help, feel free to post logs here. For more discussions about Android 12/GSIs join the telegram group!!

*REQUIRED FOR GSI* Follow the guide I made here to increase your system partition.
    Download Android 12 Stable (Pixel 4a) GSI here: Direct link.
    You don't need Gapps, they are preloaded.

Make sure to use Android 11 as base before flashing the GSI.

After that, you can install any GSI/flash any size Gapps without issue.

1. Reboot into fastboot mode.
    2. Wipe your data partition: fastboot format:ext4 userdata
    3. Clean cache and factory reset: fastboot -w
    4. flash the GSI: fastboot flash system_a path/to/system.img
    5. flash the GSI in other slot: fastboot flash system_b path/to/system.img
    6. Test boot.
    If it doesn't boot, download vbmeta for your device and flash in fastboot mode.
    1. fastboot flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta.img
    2. fastboot -w
    Bugs:
    • No sound in call.
    Some fixes:
    • Install GMS with adb install -r -d path/to/gms.apk to login to Google (not necessary anymore)
    • After flashing system image, don't reboot into system, immediately boot into TWRP and flash this file! This is necessary to disable encryption, so TWRP can boot successfully.

1627349705135.png
    1627352232766.png
    Screenshot_20210727-043809.png
    Screenshot_20210727-043817.png
    Screenshot_20210727-043846.png
    Screenshot_20210727-043852.png
    Screenshot_20210727-043714.png
    Screenshot_20210727-043323.png

download
    As you guys may know, protonAOSP dropped support for Taimen/Walleye.

Fret not. protonAOSP 12 is coming. Here it is running nicely on my pixel 2XL. Currently still in beta (calls are working though, so it's pretty much ready).

Taimen is not dead

EDIT: Build is up
    Update! With GMS, overlay, and fingerprint sensor fixes. We are getting closer!

And the users that had unbootable slot error, it should be fixed too if you flash vbmeta. Make sure to follow the fixes section too.

EDIT: RIL is fine, SMS is fine, we can even accept and take calls. But there's no sound! Any devs can chime in and help?
    Thank you for taking the time to help and wrap my head around the subject , much appreciated!

Is this the same way a custom recovery increases the system partition?
    There are no custom recoveries that can do that.

However. I'm working on a tool that will automate that process. There's a closed beta in the telegram channel and it will see a beta release on xda soon.
    Hey @Dollscythe ,

Any update/comment on Pixel Experience Alpha Builds?

I understand that these are "Alpha" builds, however, if you've tried it... please share a comment
    Those builds have pretty much everything working. Make sure to get the latest one.

i'm also building protonAOSP 12. https://xdaforums.com/t/android-12-rom-09-nov-2021-protonaosp-12-0-0.4358955/