• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GSI][ROM][AOSP] Android GSI support for Essential Phone

Search This thread
Sorry for late response cuz I am busy last week
I found this solution on Reddit, please try it
When you finish flashing all partitions (except boot), then use this command to flash boot:
Bash:
fastboot flash:raw boot_<a|b> boot.img
Good luck to you, bro!
That did it! Thanks. Although even flashing OEM to both slots did not clear the tripped up DM Verity check. I'm still looking for a way to fix that. This could be it, though I'm still unsure how aplicable it may be. It seems to bypass the problem as opposed to fixing it.

At one time there was a moded boot.img by Invisiblek made explicitly for mata, but I'm still trying to locate the image itself before setting up to build it myself. Thanks again for your guidance.

[EDIT] I think I found it. I'll try it later.
[EDIT2]It did work! It's all good now.

Last edited:

Port r

Feb 27, 2016
Sylhet

GSI baseline image for Essential Phone

As you know, from Android 9, there is a project called Project Treble with the aim to bring newer Android versions faster to the user. Together with the time movement, Google also introduces HIDL. It is a concept separating Android hardware and software.

Now, you also know, the Essential Phone PH-1 is on the list of supported devices in Project Treble. Unfortunately, this device requires specific storage mapping in the kernel so that it might not be able to use LineageOS as the baseline image.

In order to overcome this inconvenience, you must build a stock AOSP image and disable verity. It is somehow complicated for newbies. Therefore, I am here to make it easier for you.

Following step-by-step guidance here will make GSI work for you.

Step 1:
Download prebuild Stock AOSP build here.
Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hX_cUJqCp41flJjKASDLbhxzr6X7irw_/view?usp=sharing

Step 2:
Extract the download file into a folder. It contains three different files: boot.img, system.img and vendor.img.

Step 3:
Boot your device into bootloader (fastboot mode) by holding Power and Volume Down at the same time.

Step 4:
Unlock bootloader (If you have done, skip this step)
Bash:
fastboot flashing unlock
fastboot flashing unlock_critical

Step 5:
Flash the above images
Bash:
fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot set_active a
fastboot flash vendor_a vendor.img
fastboot flash system_a system.img
fastboot format userdata
fastboot reboot

Step 6:
After reboot, connect your phone into computer and run the followings.
Bash:
adb root
adb disable-verity
adb reboot bootloader

Step 7:
Download any GSI image you want. You can refer in this page.
I have tested with Google GSI Android 11 and DotOS.
If you want to try Google GSI, please use this link:
https://developer.android.com/topic/generic-system-image/releases

Step 8:
Extract the downloaded file in step 7 into a folder. Make sure that you have the system image, whose size is more than 1GB.

Step 9:
Go to the above folder and run the following commands.
Bash:
fastboot format userdata
fastboot reboot

Step 10:
Now your device will boot new os. Congratulation!

Know issues:
Almost every thing works fine.
Android 12 GSI is not supported.

If you love my work, buy me a coffee at:
Paypal:
paypal.me/nguyenquangduc2000

Thank you so much!
I just tried it everything work, had red boot problem, flashed a redbootfix.img after a few bootloops installed ur boot.img and now it's running. but none of my old data, apps sms downloads back, it doesn't even ask for resting them is there a way to do this easily? if not i'lll have to manually donwnload all the apps

nguyenquangduc2000

Jun 21, 2015
Long Xuyen
I just tried it everything work, had red boot problem, flashed a redbootfix.img after a few bootloops installed ur boot.img and now it's running. but none of my old data, apps sms downloads back, it doesn't even ask for resting them is there a way to do this easily? if not i'lll have to manually donwnload all the apps
If you have backed up your phone (naturally your phone will do it automatically) to Google, the easiest method is install GApps and factory reset.

Another method is using the GSI that has already included GApps :))

Port r

Feb 27, 2016
Sylhet
after using for one night, android 11 gsm, i've found out that all the icon r square which makes the whole ui look old and ugly, auto brightness is missing which is the deal breaker for me, there's no way to restore call logs, sms and apps. open gapps do not flash from sideload on stock recovery . apart from these the os is smooth, very usuable daily. Oh, and I wasn't receiving calls. the phone was ringing but it wasn't showing anything on the screen at all so i wan't being able to answer, installing google dialer and contact seemed to fix the problem. i have tried 10 and 12 gsm it bootloops.
anyway because of the smoothness i have decided to keep on using 11gsm for some time.
also i gapps fails to install and apps and logs from previous install do not restore, there is no option to add backup account on backup settings

Last edited:

nguyenquangduc2000

Jun 21, 2015
Long Xuyen
after using for one night, android 11 gsm, i've found out that all the icon r square which makes the whole ui look old and ugly, auto brightness is missing which is the deal breaker for me, there's no way to restore call logs, sms and apps. open gapps do not flash from sideload on stock recovery . apart from these the os is smooth, very usuable daily. Oh, and I wasn't receiving calls. the phone was ringing but it wasn't showing anything on the screen at all so i wan't being able to answer, installing google dialer and contact seemed to fix the problem. i have tried 10 and 12 gsm it bootloops.
anyway because of the smoothness i have decided to keep on using 11gsm for some time.
also i gapps fails to install and apps and logs from previous install do not restore, there is no option to add backup account on backup settings
Which 11 GSI did you used? in my #1 post, I have a link to the 11 GSI. Have you choose the right ARM64+GMS version? That version is already included Google Play store and Google service.
1633102590919.png

hedgecore44

Mar 9, 2016
I tried to go away from GSI because mobile data does not always work, VoLTE rarely works, can't receive MMS videos, and MMS text messages come in severely compressed. Also can't record video or install any version of Gcam.

I ran flashall.bat from January stock firmware and once that booted I no longer have mobile data. I flash 4 different roms in TWRP and still no mobile data in any of them. I go back to GSI Corvus and RR and mobile data only works once I click on all options in the PHH Treble Settings (IMS Features). Any idea how to get mobile data working back in non-GSI configuration?? I feel I am stuck on GSI now. Lol .... I am on Verizon btw..
Thanks!

Last edited:

[email protected]

Nov 10, 2018

As you know, from Android 9, there is a project called Project Treble with the aim to bring newer Android versions faster to the user. Together with the time movement, Google also introduces HIDL. It is a concept separating Android hardware and software.

Now, you also know, the Essential Phone PH-1 is on the list of supported devices in Project Treble. Unfortunately, this device requires specific storage mapping in the kernel so that it might not be able to use LineageOS as the baseline image.

In order to overcome this inconvenience, you must build a stock AOSP image and disable verity. It is somehow complicated for newbies. Therefore, I am here to make it easier for you.

Step 1:
Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hX_cUJqCp41flJjKASDLbhxzr6X7irw_/view?usp=sharing

Step 2:
Extract the download file into a folder. It contains three different files: boot.img, system.img and vendor.img.

Step 3:
Boot your device into bootloader (fastboot mode) by holding Power and Volume Down at the same time.

Step 4:
Bash:
fastboot flashing unlock

Step 5:
Flash the above images
Bash:
fastboot set_active a
fastboot format userdata
fastboot reboot

Step 6:
Bash:
adb root
adb disable-verity
adb reboot bootloader

Step 7:

Step 8:
Extract the downloaded file in step 7 into a folder. Make sure that you have the system image, whose size is more than 1GB.

Step 9:
Bash:
fastboot format userdata
fastboot reboot

Step 10:

Know issues:

Paypal:

Thank you so much!
Hi,

Thanks too much for you clear steps, there was some update since this post.
Android 12 GSI is it supported now?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:
    Bash:
    fastboot flashing unlock

Step 5:
    Flash the above images
    Bash:
    fastboot set_active a
    fastboot format userdata
    fastboot reboot

Step 6:
    Bash:
    adb root
    adb disable-verity
    adb reboot bootloader

Step 7:

Step 8:

Step 9:
    Bash:
    fastboot format userdata
    fastboot reboot

Step 10:

Know issues:

Paypal:

Thank you so much!
    Have you updated stock to Android 10?
    In case you use Windows Os, please use adb and fastboot coming with driver. You can download driver here: https://storage.googleapis.com/essential-static/Essential-PH1-WindowsDrivers.exe
    I've been 'costing' on my old dev-kit setup for too long a time. ;-)

After your pointers, things went well. After trying DotOS first (not quite ready to play nice with Gapps, which I need), and then CorvusOS (nice, but I was intrigued by the dynamic root implementation of CaOS), I loaded CaOS next. What a nice surprise all around, from the easy "on-boarding", to the refreshing modesty of the overall approach to mods. And, what really counts, for the way I use my phone everything worked out of the box!

Thanks for opening up the GSI lifeline to our PH-1s.
    Many thanks for supporters:
    1. Botany Lane Pottery
    2. Mariusz Stanczak
    Heyhey dotOS is working good so far! I have it rooted using Magisk boot img patcher. I have not tried TWRP yet. I still have some experimenting to do but so far I have not seen any issues - calls, texts, BT, WiFi all work.. I did need to get the notch display fix Magisk module.. .... . It also took a few hours for the lagginess to go away. But its pretty snappy now. Thanks for this. Also ..... notification lights work AND no crappy speakerphone mic bug. Finally. Thanks!!! Coffee coming your way..

Update: Fast charging did not work and had some weird call issues dropping on BT. I switched to CorvusOS and am much happier (so far!). I will update if Corvus has any issues but none so far.

Update2: Bluetooth calling/music works good (on Corvus). But I don't think VoLTE works at all. And stock alarm clock does not wake up screen on alarm.