• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

GSIs for Mi NOTE 10 - Android 9 and 10 Guide

Search This thread

iSonik

Dec 7, 2010
So, since there is not alot of development going on for our device, i thought we could maybe work together to get something done four our Mi Note 10.

Android Q (10) Guide

1) Flash Miui 12 beta
2) Flash Latest OrangeFox Recovery
3) Format Data
4) Wipe dalvik and cache
5) Reboot to Recovery
6) Flash an GSI of your choice (Arm64-AB)
7)Resize the system partition
8) Optional: Flash Opengapps
9) Optional: Flash Magisk
Restart system

Enjoy
(Big thanks to deathhall)

For me Havoc Q works really well, also face unlock works with Havoc
Havoc specific bugs: SMS doesnt work with 4G, Gcam works only with the main lens and frontfacing lens
Havoc 3.6

Android Pie (9) Guide

How to flash these on the Mi Note 10?
1) Flash Orange Fox TWRP
2) Factory reset in TWRP / format Data!
4) Fastboot: fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
5) Download the ARM64-AB version of your desired rom
6) Flash AB system.img of your GSI in TWRP
7) Flash magisk
8) reboot
That worked for me with both GSIs

Lineage OS 16.0
HAVOC OS 2.9

Whats not working?
- Fingerprint (Needs custom overlay)
- Automatic Brightness (Needs custom overlay)
- Camera works fine, but Video seems a little bit weird
- NFC, but this can be fixed with a magisk module

NFC FIX
Kind of a fix for automatic brightness
Video fix

If you have weird notification sounds delete the SoundFX folder from /Vendor/lib and /Vendor/lib64

Framework-res.apk (Provided by ChriZer)

Last edited:

deathhall

Nov 20, 2014
Springfield
Couldnt get either to actually boot, couldn't get any OTA's to actually flash with OrangeFox.
I flashed:
miui_TUCANAEEAGlobal_V11.0.11.0.PFDEUXM_9fa3ae20ce_9.0
then tried to flash:
miui-blockota-tucana_eea_global-V11.0.11.0.PFDEUXM-V11.0.12.0.PFDEUXM-ecf4ee46b2-9.0
and just get an error.
I tried following your steps written in the OP, but the BlockOTA fails to flash. Or if I just use a fresh install and Format data, and try to install the GSI's it rewrites the system to system_root and magisk won't install and it just bootloops.

iSonik

Dec 7, 2010
Couldnt get either to actually boot, couldn't get any OTA's to actually flash with OrangeFox.
I flashed:
miui_TUCANAEEAGlobal_V11.0.11.0.PFDEUXM_9fa3ae20ce_9.0
then tried to flash:
miui-blockota-tucana_eea_global-V11.0.11.0.PFDEUXM-V11.0.12.0.PFDEUXM-ecf4ee46b2-9.0
and just get an error.
I tried following your steps written in the OP, but the BlockOTA fails to flash. Or if I just use a fresh install and Format data, and try to install the GSI's it rewrites the system to system_root and magisk won't install and it just bootloops.

Maybe try 11.0.1. since its alot bigger than 12 and 11

alex99aon

Mar 18, 2020
Status?

Is anybody using the LOS GSI as a daily driver?
If there is just the small amount of bugs like in the description, it might be fine for now. At least for me.

Or are there other small bugs 'not worth mentioning' ?

In another parallel thread 'Will there be a custom ROM?', two heros decided to work on our phone... I wish them the best! :)

Reactions: guzado and Jcs4

LDP12

Nov 28, 2018
Cape Town
Hi all, I have spent a good few weeks testing almost all Android 10 (Q) GSIs for tucana (our device). My findings are relatively positive and are as follows:

I got Pixel Experience as well as EvolutionX from @expressLukeGSI to boot and both seem to work with minimal bugs... The main bug I found was an audio bug commoly associated with GSIs; the audio sounds as if the device is underwater. A simple fix to this bug was flashing audiofix for GSIs.

I also got OxygenOS to boot from @erfanGSI as well as others but these had major bugs (e.g. device reboots automatically, immediately after connecting to WIFI).

Other Android Q GSIs that booted include LineageOS, CAOS, AOSP, Descendant as well as Havoc (from GSI page - Android Q Section - on Github). With regards to LineageOS, once rooted with magisk it will NOT boot.

Under Display Fingerprint does NOT work on any GSIs currently and Face Unlock only works on specific GSIs.

If you'd like more info on the GSIs I have tested or would like me to test further please don't hesitate to contact me via private message, I'll be glad to help wherever possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: BASS55

iSonik

Dec 7, 2010
Hi all, I have spent a good few weeks testing almost all Android 10 (Q) GSIs for tucana (our device). My findings are relatively positive and are as follows:

I got Pixel Experience as well as EvolutionX from @expressLukeGSI to boot and both seem to work with minimal bugs... The main bug I found was an audio bug commoly associated with GSIs; the audio sounds as if the device is underwater. A simple fix to this bug was flashing audiofix for GSIs.

I also got OxygenOS to boot from @erfanGSI as well as others but these had major bugs (e.g. device reboots automatically, immediately after connecting to WIFI).

Other Android Q GSIs that booted include CAOS, AOSP, Descendant as well as Havoc (from GSI page - Android Q Section - on Github).

If you'd like more info on the GSIs I have tested or would like me to test further please don't hesitate to contact me via private message, I'll be glad to help wherever possible.

No fingerprint right?

LDP12

Nov 28, 2018
Cape Town
Yeah thats why i said "imo". But that also means no autobrightness

Sorry, I never saw the "imo" part of your reply.

That is correct, once again this is minor for me but maybe not for some. Although I can confirm that battery drain is significantly decreased when using GSIs. Even without the auto brightness battery life is much better.

I am currently using/testing the Evolution X GSI from ExpressLukeGSI.

Last edited:

iSonik

Dec 7, 2010
Sorry, I never saw the "imo" part of your reply.

That is correct, once again this is minor for me but maybe not for some. Although I can confirm that battery drain is significantly decreased when using GSIs. Even without the auto brightness battery life is much better.

I am currently using/testing the Evolution X GSI from ExpressLukeGSI.

Yeah batterylife on GSIs is insane, maybe ill try one again. But the missing fingerprint and faceunlock bother me quite alot

BTW are you using Q GSIs?

Last edited:

LDP12

Nov 28, 2018
Cape Town
Are you wiping Dalvik, System, Data and Cache, and then flashing the preferred GSI?

If the above method is not working, search "Download the MIUI 12 Closed Beta for Xiaomi and Redmi devices XDA" on google, download MIUI 12 beta for tucana/Mi Note 10 (our device) and flash it in TWRP. Then perform a wipe as usual and flash preferred GSI.

Last edited:

deathhall

Nov 20, 2014
Springfield
Interesting, i cant get GSIs to boot, did you do something different?

I was on MIUI 20.6.11 -MiRoom when I flashed the Bliss GSI, my exact steps where:
  1. Flash Latest OrangeFox Recovery
  2. Formata Data
  3. Format dalvik and cache
  4. Reboot to Recovery
  5. Flash GSI -Arm64-AB or BvN depending on the owner
  6. Go to Data in the manage partition menu and resize partition
  7. Flash Opengapps, I used 10.0 Pico
  8. Restart system

Admittedly, I flashed the GSI but not the gapps first, just to see if it would boot, which it did. then I formatted only cache and dalvik, then resized and flashed Gapps. and it booted and took me right into the setup from the notification that came up when it booted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, since there is not alot of development going on for our device, i thought we could maybe work together to get something done four our Mi Note 10.

Android Q (10) Guide

1) Flash Miui 12 beta
    2) Flash Latest OrangeFox Recovery
    3) Format Data
    4) Wipe dalvik and cache
    5) Reboot to Recovery
    6) Flash an GSI of your choice (Arm64-AB)
    7)Resize the system partition
    8) Optional: Flash Opengapps
    9) Optional: Flash Magisk
    Restart system

Enjoy
    (Big thanks to deathhall)

For me Havoc Q works really well, also face unlock works with Havoc
    Havoc specific bugs: SMS doesnt work with 4G, Gcam works only with the main lens and frontfacing lens
    Havoc 3.6

Android Pie (9) Guide

How to flash these on the Mi Note 10?
    1) Flash Orange Fox TWRP
    2) Factory reset in TWRP / format Data!
    4) Fastboot: fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    5) Download the ARM64-AB version of your desired rom
    6) Flash AB system.img of your GSI in TWRP
    7) Flash magisk
    8) reboot
    That worked for me with both GSIs

Lineage OS 16.0
    HAVOC OS 2.9

Whats not working?
    - Fingerprint (Needs custom overlay)
    - Automatic Brightness (Needs custom overlay)
    - Camera works fine, but Video seems a little bit weird
    - NFC, but this can be fixed with a magisk module

NFC FIX
    Kind of a fix for automatic brightness
    Video fix

If you have weird notification sounds delete the SoundFX folder from /Vendor/lib and /Vendor/lib64

Framework-res.apk (Provided by ChriZer)
    Has anyone tried the custom ROM gsi ancient os?

Yes, it works but didnt like it too much personally
    Status?

Is anybody using the LOS GSI as a daily driver?
    If there is just the small amount of bugs like in the description, it might be fine for now. At least for me.

Or are there other small bugs 'not worth mentioning' ?

In another parallel thread 'Will there be a custom ROM?', two heros decided to work on our phone... I wish them the best! :)
    Thank you! And what about Vendor?

Btw, How is battery and performance compared to miui12?
    Thank you!

No, don't wipe Vendor.

Battery life is significantly better than MIUI and I must say, I personally, generally favor GSIs in terms of performance/battery balance.

Short answer: Better than MIUI 12 for me.
    Is necesary to wipe system When coming from miui12.eu? Or just the wipes said in the first post?

I have found that wiping system is best in most cases but it's not 100% necessary. It actually depends on the GSI being flashed.

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

I copied build.prop to SDCard using TWRP. Edit it with file manager, and copy build.prop again to system using TWRP

What GSI are you using? I'm currently using Evolution X GSI and audio jack works perfectly...