• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GT-I9505 + GT-I9505G] CF-Auto-Root

Search This thread

Acemanplayz

Nov 13, 2015
rooting failed

Hi, I tried to root my S4 i9505 international, which is at 5.0.1
Downloaded and used the file from the first post in this thread (CF-Auto-Root-jflte-jfltexx-gti9505.zip). All appeared to go well, but upon rebooting, the phone never got beyond the splash screen.
I had installed a custom recovery (twrp), but when I booted into recovery, I got the samsung recovery again. Odd. So I reinstalled twrp, which worked and which allowed me to put the backup back. Now my phone is as it was before - unrooted but functional.
I then accepted twrp's offer to root the phone, but that did not work either. Nothing happened, and it rebooted to the unrooted state.

What I want is mainly to get rid of all the bloatware, in the hope of getting a bit more performance out of the old phone. I don't understand rooting much. Do I need to root in order to do that?
If so, what is the procedure to root an S4 that is on 5.0.1? I browsed through many pages in this thread, but it was never clear to me if the link in the original post should work for 5.0.1.

Any help appreciated.

Rhoban

Jan 8, 2015
Dobra
Hi, I tried to root my S4 i9505 international, which is at 5.0.1
Downloaded and used the file from the first post in this thread (CF-Auto-Root-jflte-jfltexx-gti9505.zip). All appeared to go well, but upon rebooting, the phone never got beyond the splash screen.
I had installed a custom recovery (twrp), but when I booted into recovery, I got the samsung recovery again. Odd. So I reinstalled twrp, which worked and which allowed me to put the backup back. Now my phone is as it was before - unrooted but functional.
I then accepted twrp's offer to root the phone, but that did not work either. Nothing happened, and it rebooted to the unrooted state.

What I want is mainly to get rid of all the bloatware, in the hope of getting a bit more performance out of the old phone. I don't understand rooting much. Do I need to root in order to do that?
If so, what is the procedure to root an S4 that is on 5.0.1? I browsed through many pages in this thread, but it was never clear to me if the link in the original post should work for 5.0.1.

Any help appreciated.

I believe that flashing a SuperSU zip in recovery should also root your device.

KrautHolg

Jan 12, 2015
Flensburg
mail.im.tku.edu.tw
GT-I9505 Lollipop Android 5.0.1. (Knox Warranty Void 0x1) Lineage OS

Hi all,

Greetings from Flensburg, Germany.

I have just recently switched from a Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 to a Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 running Lollipop Android 5.0.1. (Knox Warranty Void 0x1) I would very much like to use the latest Lineage OS.

GT-I9505%20Lollipop%20Android%205.0.1.jpg

Firmware LRX22C.I9505XXUHPK2

Baseband version I9505XXUKPK2

The phone being old and out-of-warranty (I bought it second-hand) I am not concerned with warranty issues or losing my data, but only with flashing a Custom-ROM with all the advantages these provide. Also, there is simply too much Vodafone and Samsung bloatware on the phone. I have tried to flash TWRP both with Heimdall and Odin, but although I get the “pass” message at Odin, nothing happens and I can’t boot into recovery at all. I was then under the impression that only two versions of the US-phones had a locked bootloader and only found out much later that this particular information is outdated.

I did download “cfar_samsung_gt-i9505_jfltexx_lrx22c.i9505xxuhpk2_t0.zip” from https://desktop.firmware.mobi/device:63/firmware:5743 but I am wary of Chainfire’s admonition on https://desktop.firmware.mobi/device:63/firmware:5743/cfar?

”BOOTLOADER UNLOCK: If your bootloader is not unlocked, depending on the device, it may be automatically unlocked (wiping all data), flashing may fail, or the device may brick altogether.”

Wiping is not a problem, but I don’t want to end up in an unrecoverable brick.

I would be very grateful if any of you gentlemen could give me any pointers.

Thanks in advance,

KrautHolg

Jul 25, 2017
Hi all,

Greetings from Flensburg, Germany.

I have just recently switched from a Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 to a Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 running Lollipop Android 5.0.1. (Knox Warranty Void 0x1) I would very much like to use the latest Lineage OS.

GT-I9505%20Lollipop%20Android%205.0.1.jpg

Firmware LRX22C.I9505XXUHPK2

Baseband version I9505XXUKPK2

The phone being old and out-of-warranty (I bought it second-hand) I am not concerned with warranty issues or losing my data, but only with flashing a Custom-ROM with all the advantages these provide. Also, there is simply too much Vodafone and Samsung bloatware on the phone. I have tried to flash TWRP both with Heimdall and Odin, but although I get the “pass” message at Odin, nothing happens and I can’t boot into recovery at all. I was then under the impression that only two versions of the US-phones had a locked bootloader and only found out much later that this particular information is outdated.

I did download “cfar_samsung_gt-i9505_jfltexx_lrx22c.i9505xxuhpk2_t0.zip” from https://desktop.firmware.mobi/device:63/firmware:5743 but I am wary of Chainfire’s admonition on https://desktop.firmware.mobi/device:63/firmware:5743/cfar?

”BOOTLOADER UNLOCK: If your bootloader is not unlocked, depending on the device, it may be automatically unlocked (wiping all data), flashing may fail, or the device may brick altogether.”

Wiping is not a problem, but I don’t want to end up in an unrecoverable brick.

I would be very grateful if any of you gentlemen could give me any pointers.

Thanks in advance,

KrautHolg

So, there is no need to worry if you're going for a custom version of Android.

As you can see if you go back a few pages, I was asking around here about rooting my Galaxy S4. One person gave me a warning that I did not heed and that was that it's not a good idea to root the stock version of Android made by Samsung. I went for it and, lo and behold, something went haywire. It was the GApps suite. It kept crashing constantly, slowing down my phone after a minute at most to a point where you'd think it was an old Windows XP laptop with not enough RAM for Service Pack 3 (trust me, I sadly know from experience since my mom held onto that laptop until XP support was no more, since we didn't have enough money to buy a new one, but this pressured her enough to go out and buy one, except that that new laptop was weak as well, but AutoCAD work needed for school finally got my mom to buy me a laptop that's actually decent and for me, also, I'm turning 16 in June of this year), so I deviated from my original plan and flashed TWRP from their Official TWRP app, made a backup of the rotting stock Android (that seems to refuse to be restored now, sadly, since I need it to regain access to my Discord account via Authenticator), downloaded the latest nightly image of LineageOS (https://download.lineageos.org/jfltexx) and flashed it. It WORKS! (https://imgur.com/a/X4aFj) :D Since it doesn't come with the GApps suite (it's based off of AOSP/the Android Open-Source Project which doesn't come with the proprietary GApps suite), I flashed the OpenGApps package (https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html) after flashing SuperSU (http://www.supersu.com/download), but it doesn't matter in which order, since each update unroots the phone, but the GApps suite hasn't crashed once on LineageOS after reflahing the SuperSU package. P.S. If you want updates that you don't have to manually flash each time, use Lineage Downloader and, if you don't want to reflash SuperSU after each update, add it to the list of additional packages to flash, just be wary that, if it stops automatically flashing the .zip and you have it on the memory card, you will need to put it in the Lineage_Downloader folder, I don't know if that's the case when it's in internal storage.
Since you have the international model (I9505), the bootloader is unlocked (that's the one I have as well), so you're all set to go in that department. Now, download the TWRP package and the Odin software if you're using Windows, but Heimdall if you're using a Linux distro and, I guess, macOS/OS X/Mac OS. Power off your phone if it's on, hold down the volume down key as it's powering on, then press the volume up key to proceed into Download mode. Connect your phone to your computer, open Odin or Heimdall (depending on OS), then (I forgot what to select exactly, but if you download the CF Autoroot package, which is how I got root the first time after flashing his package, and open Odin, the only option available is the only one you need, so just select the TWRP package and proceed), then put SuperSU, OpenGApps and LineageOS on your microSD card if you haven't already, hold down the volume up button as your phone is powering on (you need to see RECOVERY BOOTING... in blue followed by a red and a yellow line of text, the yellow I think says Set warranty bit: recovery), then you go to Install (if you want to back up your current stock Android before flashing LineageOS, make sure you have at least 11GB free on the microSD card, go to Backup, select all partitions, Select storage > microSD card, Swipe for backup, wait until it's finished and then proceed to LineageOS, oh, and the backup does not save any photos or stuff like that, but flashing LineageOS didn't erase it either), you select the LineageOS image, swipe to install. If you don't want root, flash the OpenGApps package (same process as for LineageOS), then go to Reboot, select System and be greeted by the LineageOS boot animation and then do the setup (I assume it appears,since I flashed OpenGApps only after I booted up LineageOS for the first time, but it still worked, even though they warned against it, I was only missing the first-time Google account setup, but that's been dealt with now). If you do want root, just flash the SuperSU package the same way as the previous two, it doesn't really matter when, but of course before the first boot if you want to have it right away.
Please reply if something was too ambiguous! :) Good luck!

P.S. (Edit) https://twrp.me/ https://twrp.me/site/update/2017/01/05/official-twrp-app.html

Last edited:

kostas5m

Sep 28, 2018
Just rooted my GT-i9505

I just followed this guide and rooted my phone. When it booted back into android, SuperSU was installed. I launched it and tapped the "New user" (or however it calls it) button. Then it asked me whether I wanted it to try and disable knox. I told it to do it and it has been trying it for the past 5 minutes (maybe a little bit more). Also when it booted quite a few apps were crashing but this stopped after about half a minute. Is this something to worry about?
Thanks!

Ss5488787

Oct 19, 2017
hi sir.
can anyone hell me i want to root this phone
i try from kingroot,kingoroot or many apps without pc but doesn't work..
my phone samsung galaxy s4
i don't know region...
model no GT-I9505

Android version 5.0.1

Android security patch level 2016-11-01

Baseband version
I9505XXUHPK2

Kernel version
3.4.0-5978264
[email protected] #1
wed nov 16 19:05:34 KST 2016

Build number
LRX22C.I9505XXUHPK2

SE for Android Status
Enforcing
SEPF_GT-I9505_5.0.1-1_0070
Wed Nov 16 19:10:21 2016

Secure boot status
type. Samsung

Security software version
MDF v1.0 Release 4
VPN v1.4 Release 3
ASKS v1.2_161011

KNOX Version
KNOX 2.3
Standard SDK 5.3.0
premium SDK 2.3.0
Customization 2.0.0
Container 2.3.0
CEP 2.0.1
Enterprise billing 1.0.0
SE for Android 2.3.0
SSO 2.1.1
TIMA 2.0
VPN 2.2.0

siMp0lMaN

Feb 10, 2013
Baguio City
hi sir.
can anyone hell me i want to root this phone
i try from kingroot,kingoroot or many apps without pc but doesn't work..
my phone samsung galaxy s4
i don't know region...
model no GT-I9505

Android version 5.0.1

Android security patch level 2016-11-01

Baseband version
I9505XXUHPK2

Kernel version
3.4.0-5978264
[email protected] #1
wed nov 16 19:05:34 KST 2016

Build number
LRX22C.I9505XXUHPK2

SE for Android Status
Enforcing
SEPF_GT-I9505_5.0.1-1_0070
Wed Nov 16 19:10:21 2016

Secure boot status
type. Samsung

Security software version
MDF v1.0 Release 4
VPN v1.4 Release 3
ASKS v1.2_161011

KNOX Version
KNOX 2.3
Standard SDK 5.3.0
premium SDK 2.3.0
Customization 2.0.0
Container 2.3.0
CEP 2.0.1
Enterprise billing 1.0.0
SE for Android 2.3.0
SSO 2.1.1
TIMA 2.0
VPN 2.2.0

kingroot worked for me on stock lollipop on i9505... also chainfire autoroot look for 5.0.1

marathmartin

Aug 8, 2016
I just followed this guide and rooted my phone. When it booted back into android, SuperSU was installed. I launched it and tapped the "New user" (or however it calls it) button. Then it asked me whether I wanted it to try and disable knox. I told it to do it and it has been trying it for the past 5 minutes (maybe a little bit more). Also when it booted quite a few apps were crashing but this stopped after about half a minute. Is this something to worry about?
Thanks!

Super su is working fine. I want to unlock sim in this old phone but Cannot get to Service Mode menu to use the easy way to unlock :( . Is there any not so easy but easy way to do It?

I also can't enter recover mode now.

Thanks to you all.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check your device model ! Settings -> About device -> Model number. See the third post for exact supported model numbers. If your device is a totally different model, it will not work (may even brick) !

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
    CF-Root has been available for many devices (Galaxy S1, Galaxy Tab 7", Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, and many more) and has clocked over 13 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Stock recovery

Installation and usage
    Flash the CF-Auto-Root package as PDA in ODIN (details on how to do that are in next post), and your device should reboot into a modified recovery (signified by a large red Android logo) and it will install SuperSU for you and restore the stock recovery, and reboot back into Android.

If you don't get to the red Android logo, boot into recovery manually ("adb reboot recovery", or boot while holding Power+VolUp+Home).

Using this root increases your flash counter. You should run Triangle Away (see below) after rooting to reset the counter. Note that if you want to run custom kernels or custom recoveries, your flash counter will be set to 1 at every boot. Either configure Triangle Away to reset the counter at every boot (Play version only) or only reset the counter when you need to go into warranty.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Why isn't this just called CF-Root
    The traditional CF-Root's included a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP, etc) and were meant for devices that had a single kernel/recovery combination. CF-Auto-Root doesn't include a custom recovery and is meant for devices that have kernel and recovery separate (so you can manually install any custom recovery you wish). The Auto part comes from the fact that a large part of the process is automated (though it constantly needs adjusting)

Not included - Triangle Away
    Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
    [CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
    For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.
    ODIN Installation (detailed)

Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!

- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
    - If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
    - Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the Start button
    - Wait for Android to boot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ;)) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

You may now optionally want to install and run Triangle Away to reset the flash counter.
    Download

GT-I9505: CF-Auto-Root-jflte-jfltexx-gti9505.zip

GT-I9505G: CF-Auto-Root-jgedlte-jgedlteue-gti9505g.zip (Google Edition)

Other models

International Samsung Exynos GT-I9500: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2292615
    Canadian: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2293800
    Sprint: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2291827
    T-Mobile: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2294005
    AT&T: Bootloader locked, do not use CF-Auto-Root on it
    VZW: Bootloader locked, do not use CF-Auto-Root on it
    I'm aware of the issue and I'm working on it :)
    I updated the CF-Auto-Root file for the I9505 (link has stayed the same, see first post), including the new SuperSU. This should just work without any strange workarounds (like Supercurio's StupidSU, or deleting KNOX, or whatnot). At least, it seems to work for me, and I'm on stock MDN firmware (including stock kernel and recovery). I have not seen any SELinux/SEAndroid popups or any of that yet.

I imagine if you have used any of the other fixes, you may still experience issues with this new CF-Auto-Root unless you flash back the correct stock kernel (if you've changed it) and/or system partition (apply CFAR *afterwards*).

Let me know if there's any issues. I've had the SGS4 for a few weeks, but I've gone on vacation as soon as I got it, and only started playing with it yesterday, so I may have overlooked something.

Please don't announce this anywhere else, I'm waiting for the I9500 version to be working properly before announcing it everywhere :)