GT i950x screen issue, please read

Search This thread

AVF Jay

Apr 27, 2013
Ok I picked up my new galaxy s4 today, I've owned all the galaxy s handsets and been pleased with them.

However I noticed some weird screen issue earlier, basically while scrolling dark greys on blacks smudge/smear purple.

A test for this is in settings, on anything grey if you slowly scroll up and down the grey bits go purple.

Does anyone's else phone suffer from this? I've never noticed this on previous phones, but not sure if my handset is faulty or whether it's just how the galaxy s4s are.

I know it sounds odd but I'd really appreciate if someone could test it for me, go to settings where the background is black and there are greyish bars, scroll up and down slowly and tell me if the grey bits have purple smearing/smudging.

Thanks

edit: I've added a picture and drew some arrows to point out what parts go purple/smudge when I scroll, this is just so you know what to look for. It isn't an image that shows my problem, it simply to point out what parts show the issue when I scroll

Thanks

Please report your HW Rev number at this thread and state if you do have teh smearing issue. You can do that by dialing *#12580*369# on your dialpad.

Attachments

• samsung-galaxy-s4-screenshot-settings-menu.jpg
    samsung-galaxy-s4-screenshot-settings-menu.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 20,134
Last edited by a moderator:

tuxonhtc

Oct 20, 2009
So it's the issue with software right? I hope it's not intentional - given how retarded touchwiz design is, I wouldn't be shocked if it is.

Does it affect it somewhere else? Like videos or something? Or have you tried it in non stock apps? Say download poweramp, put a grey skin and try scrolling?

AVF Jay

Apr 27, 2013
Thanks a lot for testing it.

Well it must just be the way it is.

I'm certain it didn't do it on the galaxy s3. I wonder if they're using a cheaper screen or something.

I was hoping it might be software related but I watched a youtube video with dark scenes and I could even see the smearing there :(

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced it's not a software thing, it just doesn't look right, and if you turn the brightness right down it looks even worse. And I mean really bad, honestly try turn the brightness right down and then do it. :(

I know some people might say "it's not a big deal" as I'm not going to spend all my time scrolling up and down in the settings menu lol, but that's just an easy test to show it. I can see smudging on dark colours in general, I'm really disappointed.

Last edited:

jbpf77

May 30, 2010
Mine does this too. It's like the ghosting effects you get on cheap televisions with low refresh rates. Hope it's not a faulty screen, I'd imagine the wait for a replacement will be quite lengthy...

AVF Jay

Apr 27, 2013
Mine does this too. It's like the ghosting effects you get on cheap televisions with low refresh rates. Hope it's not a faulty screen, I'd imagine the wait for a replacement will be quite lengthy...

I went to a few stores to test demo units and they all do the same thing.

The s3 doesn't.

I wonder if they're just using a cheaper screen.

ste1164

Jan 16, 2010
Darlington
It may be the new pixel arrangement in the device. It makes whites look different colours if you look at the phone from an angle.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

squshy 7

Dec 6, 2010
I'm gonna guess it's probably due to "adapt display"..try going into display and change to movie mode

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

Reactions: DanteSSS333

Obagleyfreer

Jun 29, 2012
Wellington
Mine does it too. It's most noticeable for me scrolling through contacts, the grey bars with the letters on seem to shrink then grow with purple edges. Very weird!

UPDATE- Seems like it only happens in TouchWiz. I have Rom Toolbox which has grey bars on dark background and it doesn't happen.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

JustSueMe

Oct 22, 2012
London
Static I have no issues with display but scrolling in stock apps I get purple according to direct I scroll byt tge colour stays within its border. Tbh I have no issue with that, kinda seems like a theme lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

DanteSSS333

Apr 28, 2013
I am pretty sure its the software, for the screen works perfectly when watching a vid of sth white moving on a black background. The smearing only occurs inside the os and apps. I can´t upload a vid of it atm, but I will as soon as I can.
Edit: I made a vid of it with my SGS2, the quality aint that good, but you can see the ghosting on the grey setting bars: /watch?v=iNwCuufJuLM&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Reactions: PLUG313

bsch3r

Apr 27, 2013
It does not smear in toolbox or video because the background is not absolutely black. I am pretty shure this is an inherent amoled problem. I guess its either no absolute black level like the s3 or smearing on s4.
It seams the pixels on s4 get turned off completely on black areas of the screen and react slowly when turned on again. On s3 the pixels are never completely turned off to probably avoid this artefact. Thats why s3 blackest black is deep gray.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Titanium backup does smear... its not the software, unfortunately.

jinsiik

Apr 28, 2011
It does not smear in toolbox or video because the background is not absolutely black. I am pretty shure this is an inherent amoled problem. I guess its either no absolute black level like the s3 or smearing on s4.
It seams the pixels on s4 get turned off completely on black areas of the screen and react slowly when turned on again. On s3 the pixels are never completely turned off to probably avoid this artefact. Thats why s3 blackest black is deep gray.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Titanium backup does smear... its not the software, unfortunately.

i agree with you, i've tried scrolling a page with a black background with grey text, same thing happens, its got that purple hazy ghosting issue

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally some confirmation from samsung!

Just had a phone call from Samsung NZ and they told me that Samsung HQ have confirmed this issue and are working on a fix for the next firmware maintenance release.

See below email from Samsung NZ :)

Hi Owen,

As discussed, Samsung HQ have responded to say that the purple bleeding on the screen when scrolling should be resolved with the next maintenance release.

If you have any further issues please call our contact center on 0800 726 786

Regards,
    Sean M*****
    Customer Care Representative
    HHP Support
    Samsung Customer Care Ltd
    T: 0800 726 786
    Web: www.samsung.co.nz <http://www.samsung.co.nz/>
    Email: ****.*@partner.samsung.com
    Directly from Samsung :) look at here:

8z4500.jpg
    In the hope of keep everyone in the loop here is my last reply....finally says that its been looked in to....not that its getting fixed but that at least they are now acknowledging it.

Dear Mark,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Support.

We are aware of this problem and it has been raised with our third line support engineers who are currently investigating this as I am typing.

We would like to thank you for your patience with this issue, we will notify you when we recieve feedback regarding this problem.

If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know.

Our Customer Support Team love feedback! Share your thoughts on this response by completing the survey at the bottom of this page.

Kind Regards,

Naeve
    Online Support Team
    SAMSUNG Customer Support Centre
    This has nothing to do with the screen itself, it's an issue of the screen controller. Solely hardware tied, or at least in terms of controller driver.
    Mine arrives today how can I test the screen to let you know results in best possible way?

Sent from my XT890 using xda app-developers app

The easiest way to test if your S4 has smearing, is to open this http://dl.project-voodoo.org/screen-tests/near-black-green.png in your browser, zoom in, and move around. If you have smearing, the numbers will show it.

If you want to test if you have red instead of true black, go into a dark room and pull down the status bar. If its a bit red and not completely black, you have the red issue.