• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Gtalk video chat requires wifi for T-Mobile users?

Search This thread

tsunami1609

Sep 5, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Oh man. There's absolutely going to be no way around this. If the carriers don't want it to work without their permission, then it most definitely won't work (thinks about the free hotspot he's using to type this message).... nope, there's never gonna be a workaround. :(:D

krohnjw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2007
Plainfield
Can someone try something like this?

Code:
$ adb pull /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db
$ sqlite3 gservices.db
insert into overrides (name, value) VALUES ('gtalk_vc_wifi_only', 'false');
(control-d to exit sqlite)
$ adb push gservices.db /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db

Then restart your phone.

Tried and successful - I made a video call initiated from a PC to my phone on 3G as well as one initiated on the phone to my PC. Both were successful. Video was fairly choppy on 3G (it's fairly smooth on wifi).

starsam

Jan 7, 2011
Houston
neomyth.tistory.com

Code:
$ sqlite3 gservices.db
$ adb push gservices.db /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db

Then restart your phone.
Wow! Good news for T-Mobile users.

Jayrod1980

Feb 4, 2009
Far East
Thank you code for doing this... I can't get adb to put in the commands from my windows machine. I was in the shell but get permission denied. Any way to put this in the terminal emulator?

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium App

krohnjw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2007
Plainfield
Thank you code for doing this... I can't get adb to put in the commands from my windows machine. I was in the shell but get permission denied. Any way to put this in the terminal emulator?

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium App

You can copy it to the SD card - pull it from there. Edit locally with sqlite3 (in the tools folder). Push back to the SD card and then copy over using either term emulator or root explorer / astro / etc.

bestofrhcp

Mar 6, 2010

Code:
$ sqlite3 gservices.db

Then restart your phone.

can this be done with root explorer?

jgariano

May 2, 2011
Pardon the noob questions here...

Can someone provide a little more instruction on how to enter these commands into my Nexus S? Do you have to be rooted? I'm not rooted, but would be willing to root to enable 2.3.4 video chat over T-Mobile USA 3G. Also, how do you go about getting to the shell where you can enter the commands? Do you download a terminal app from the market, or do you do it from you computer somehow?

Thanks much in advance!

sippy_mo

Jan 14, 2008
You can copy it to the SD card - pull it from there. Edit locally with sqlite3 (in the tools folder). Push back to the SD card and then copy over using either term emulator or root explorer / astro / etc.

Hmm, can't copy to the SD card, permission denied for cp command.

Looks like I would have to root to get the file out of internal storage and then re-write it.

DOHCtor

Apr 10, 2009
Southern California
If your bootloader is unlocked, just fastboot boot (koush's recovery). From there, you can ADB shell and mount your data partition. Then get out of shell and just input the command lines provided by codebutler. I'm still not rooted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    $ sqlite3 gservices.db

Then restart your phone.
    Good to hear this worked for everyone!