• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Gtalk video chat requires wifi for T-Mobile users?

Search This thread

timchoi89

Aug 6, 2010
Houston
Hi all, checking how many tmo nexus s users are experiencing the same thing.

Manually updated from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4. Gtalk will only initiate video chat if I'm on wifi. What gives? This was supposed to work via 3g as well...

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

I'm on an T-Mobile Even More Plus Plan and 3G video calling over Gtalk works fine for me....I have stock ROM

jgariano

May 2, 2011
I also got it to work, and it works great. Had to root my phone, and I ended up copying the database file to my computer and back through the sdcard using root explorer, and using sqlite3 on the computer (I couldn't get the adb commands to work for me). But all's well that ends well.

alpharesearch

Feb 24, 2011
Please help

Can someone try something like this?

Code:
$ adb pull /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db
$ sqlite3 gservices.db
insert into overrides (name, value) VALUES ('gtalk_vc_wifi_only', 'false');
(control-d to exit sqlite)
$ adb push gservices.db /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db

Then restart your phone.

I have 2.3.4 with root, at least Titanium Backup was working. I get the Permission denied error on Linux and Windows?

desktop:~/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools$ ./adb pull /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db
failed to copy '/data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db' to './gservices.db': Permission denied

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I found a workaround, I used ./adb shell
su
cp
to transfer the file to the computer. However I still have a second Nexus S without unlock/root... how to do this?

Regards,
Markus
PS: same issue with or without sudo
PPS: i have write permission to the folder, touch work without issues

Last edited:

angusc

May 12, 2006
Beijing
Well if you have ROOT on your device, just go to the Market and download SQLite Editor....it costs around $3.00 then you can edit any DB file directly from your phone!

tbiddie

Jul 24, 2007

Code:
$ sqlite3 gservices.db
$ adb push gservices.db /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db

Then restart your phone.

This worked for me on Galaxy S3 rooted. Using Solid Explorer to copy the gservices.db to sdcard. Used SQLite Editor from the app store top modify the db. Then copied back to phone. Reboot and working. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    $ sqlite3 gservices.db

Then restart your phone.
    Good to hear this worked for everyone!