[GUIDE][09-12-2011] XOOM 3G Euro Root Instructions + Files[3.2-UPDATE]

Search This thread

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
I have rooted the boot image from my XOOM, this is a UK 3G XOOM, DO NOT USE if you are NOT 3G, or use at your own risk, attached.

Before you proceed you will need to unlock your bootloader, note this will erase all of your data, you have been warned!

UPDATE for 3.2

Use the following to get root on your 3.2 updated euro xoom. Please note, the modules here from the earlier boot image are most probably not functional anymore. I will try get an updated set. For now, here are the instructions, the new boot image is attached to this post.

Get the boot_3.2_insecure.zip from this post which also contains an su binary i just compiled.

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
Follow the on screen instructions!
Extract the files into you current directory, then reboot into fastboot mode and do:
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot
This will get you a rooted bootloader but you still aren't rooted yet, get a prompt or terminal open in the folder where the root_files are from the attached zip you will need the su file.

Make sure you have a computer with adb set up then from the computer perform the following commands with the xoom connected:

Code:
adb remount
adb push su /system/bin/su
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
adb shell ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
NEXT: Go to the Market and install "Superuser" by ChainsDD and you will probably want to install busybox too.

Congratulations on rooting your euro 3G XOOM all by yourself, and remember "one click" is for noobs who like to brick their devices (like me) don't do it.

OLD Modules(tun/cifs/etc) 3.0.1:
Code:
I have attached an archive containing cifs.ko, tun.ko, nls_utf8.ko, option.ko 
and usb_wwan.ko with correct version magic. I did not compile them, 
and I can not provide others (unless I can find them).

How to use: 
Copy the modules to "/system/lib/modules", reboot. 
If you don't know how to do that, you probably shouldn't be using them.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if either this boot image, the tutorial, or the files attached murders you violently, in fact, don't even use them.

Attachments

• boot.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 6,958
  • root_Files.zip
    135.8 KB · Views: 4,603
  • modules_stock.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,754
  • boot_3.1_insecure.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,365
  • boot_3.2_insecure.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 3,704
Last edited:

ydaraishy

Jun 27, 2010
Guys, I have been through this process, STOP using the US root instructions and images, they don't work on the european 3G XOOMs.

I have boot and recovery images that I need someone with a little experience to contact me about testing before I can release them to anyone else as working.

If a mod could sticky this please to stop people bricking their euro XOOMs until I can get the images tested and get a dump of the recovery partition!

As an aside, it's pretty damn obvious from the Wi-Fi/CDMA malarkey that flashing the wrong boot image for the wrong model is bad, especially without stock images.

Did you actually rip the stock boot image? (How'd you manage it?) Can you just post it somewhere? It should be a simple matter to make a root boot image from it.

If there's been an OTA update for the UMTS Xoom already, and you have a recovery-from-boot.p binary patch and the boot image, you can make the recovery image by using applypatch.

I don't have a device yet, sadly, so I can't test yet.

Last edited:

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
As an aside, it's pretty damn obvious from the Wi-Fi/CDMA malarkey that flashing the wrong boot image for the wrong model is bad, especially without stock images.

Did you actually rip the stock boot image? (How'd you manage it?) Can you just post it somewhere? It should be a simple matter to make a root boot image from it.

I don't have a device yet, sadly.

Well, dumping the stock boot was easy enough once recovery partition was sacrificed, you just boot off of that, as for the boot.img I have a rooted boot image that I created, I'll post it here so hopefully some of you can unbrick (as long as you didn't overwrite system too).

I won't post system until it's been tested because that wasn't a simple flash to restore.

ydaraishy

Jun 27, 2010
Well, dumping the stock boot was easy enough once recovery partition was sacrificed, you just boot off of that, as for the boot.img I have a rooted boot image that I created, I'll post it here so hopefully some of you can unbrick (as long as you didn't overwrite system too).

I won't post system until it's been tested because that wasn't a simple flash to restore.

Yeah, but what did you flash to recovery? The kernels from source, last time I looked, seemed like they didn't have mods for the UMTS model yet.

ydaraishy

Jun 27, 2010
The attached boot img MIGHT work for root (unpacked, set ro.secure to 0, repacked).

(ed. If this works, then the guinea pig who flashes it can easily rip a stock recovery from this, if it hasn't been clobbered already.)

Attachments

• rootboot.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 556
Last edited:

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
The attached boot img MIGHT work for root (unpacked, set ro.secure to 0, repacked).

(ed. If this works, then the guinea pig who flashes it can easily rip a stock recovery from this, if it hasn't been clobbered already.)

I already included a working rooted boot image in the first post...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

mlokane

Jan 9, 2008
Well, it seems to work - tried on my UK 3G model. The problem is that my 3G no longer works - I try to activate it and it just sits there on "searching for service" and "activation can take a few minutes" with nothing happening.

Wifi etc. works BTW. I may have accidentally overwritten something as I managed to semi-brick it before realising that the US images wouldn't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
Well, it seems to work - tried on my UK 3G model. The problem is that my 3G no longer works - I try to activate it and it just sits there on "searching for service" and "activation can take a few minutes" with nothing happening.

Wifi etc. works BTW. I may have accidentally overwritten something as I managed to semi-brick it before realising that the US images wouldn't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

You have done what I did. There is no such thing as activation on a UK xoom 3g. You have overwritten the system partition with the US one and you will need the stock UK System image. I have one but I had trouble getting it to work and I wont be posting it until it has been tested. You are welcome to be the ginea pig, and this is the only way you'll get your xoom back to UK and get 3g wworking again, believe mem iv been there.

Macbots drool as I XOOM through the Galaxy to my hearts Desire on the back of a Droid.

mlokane

Jan 9, 2008
You have done what I did. There is no such thing as activation on a UK xoom 3g. You have overwritten the system partition with the US one and you will need the stock UK System image. I have one but I had trouble getting it to work and I wont be posting it until it has been tested. You are welcome to be the ginea pig, and this is the only way you'll get your xoom back to UK and get 3g wworking again, believe mem iv been there.

Macbots drool as I XOOM through the Galaxy to my hearts Desire on the back of a Droid.

Ah - that makes sense. Well the US system image I have works fine except for the 3G access, so if I try and flash this uk system image onto my xoom and it doesn't work can I still flash the old US one back again easily? As it's a new xoom and I haven't installed anything on it I'm fine with being a guinea pig as long as it won't completely brick!

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
Ah - that makes sense. Well the US system image I have works fine except for the 3G access, so if I try and flash this uk system image onto my xoom and it doesn't work can I still flash the old US one back again easily? As it's a new xoom and I haven't installed anything on it I'm fine with being a guinea pig as long as it won't completely brick!

Yep, I was in the same position, the US version works fine but no 3G cause it's built for a CDMA device. The stock system image I flashed would not boot so I had to relock and then unlock again the device to fix the permissions for it to boot again.

If your confident you can relock and unlock again the device after flashing this image PM me and i'll get the system image to you to test, I won't be around to help though if it goes wrong cause I'm at work so make sure you're confident first.

mlokane

Jan 9, 2008
Yep, I was in the same position, the US version works fine but no 3G cause it's built for a CDMA device. The stock system image I flashed would not boot so I had to relock and then unlock again the device to fix the permissions for it to boot again.

If your confident you can relock and unlock again the device after flashing this image PM me and i'll get the system image to you to test, I won't be around to help though if it goes wrong cause I'm at work so make sure you're confident first.

PMed now - we can update this thread if it works...

aefelix

Dec 17, 2005
i'm trying to do the opposite, I'm looking for euro gsm images, to flash into my verizon 3g/wifi version. The goal is to verify if, once flashed, the us xoom can work with european 3g networks ( for sure it has a world radio chip, same used in the verizone ip4).
If anyone has got a dump pm please.
Thanks in advance.
M.

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
i'm trying to do the opposite, I'm looking for euro gsm images, to flash into my verizon 3g/wifi version. The goal is to verify if, once flashed, the us xoom can work with european 3g networks ( for sure it has a world radio chip, same used in the verizone ip4).
If anyone has got a dump pm please.
Thanks in advance.
M.

I doubt it will work, I tried Verizon on my UK 3G and there was no radio detected. They may have the complete hardware available but the baseband probably takes care of access the correct hardware.

aefelix

Dec 17, 2005
I doubt it will work, I tried Verizon on my UK 3G and there was no radio detected. They may have the complete hardware available but the baseband probably takes care of access the correct hardware.

That make sense, but a complete euro 3g system dump could do the job...I'm investigating on harware differencies on the euro/usa versions, if they are the same , ther's no apparent reason that could not allow me to push a euro version rom on the verizon one (with a good dose of luck and tech skills :) )

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
That make sense, but a complete euro 3g system dump could do the job...I'm investigating on harware differencies on the euro/usa versions, if they are the same , ther's no apparent reason that could not allow me to push a euro version rom on the verizon one (with a good dose of luck and tech skills :) )

I flashed a complete Verizon dump on mine and everything worked except the radio, so I imagine it would be the same the other way around. By all means though give it a go, bear in mind they are different models and so most likely have hardware differences (no LTE upgrade in europe).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have rooted the boot image from my XOOM, this is a UK 3G XOOM, DO NOT USE if you are NOT 3G, or use at your own risk, attached.

Before you proceed you will need to unlock your bootloader, note this will erase all of your data, you have been warned!

UPDATE for 3.2

Use the following to get root on your 3.2 updated euro xoom. Please note, the modules here from the earlier boot image are most probably not functional anymore. I will try get an updated set. For now, here are the instructions, the new boot image is attached to this post.

Get the boot_3.2_insecure.zip from this post which also contains an su binary i just compiled.

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem unlock
    Follow the on screen instructions!
    Extract the files into you current directory, then reboot into fastboot mode and do:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    This will get you a rooted bootloader but you still aren't rooted yet, get a prompt or terminal open in the folder where the root_files are from the attached zip you will need the su file.

Make sure you have a computer with adb set up then from the computer perform the following commands with the xoom connected:

Code:
    adb remount
    adb push su /system/bin/su
    adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    adb shell ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
    NEXT: Go to the Market and install "Superuser" by ChainsDD and you will probably want to install busybox too.

Congratulations on rooting your euro 3G XOOM all by yourself, and remember "one click" is for noobs who like to brick their devices (like me) don't do it.

OLD Modules(tun/cifs/etc) 3.0.1:
    Code:
    I have attached an archive containing cifs.ko, tun.ko, nls_utf8.ko, option.ko 
    and usb_wwan.ko with correct version magic. I did not compile them, 
    and I can not provide others (unless I can find them).

How to use: 
    Copy the modules to "/system/lib/modules", reboot. 
    If you don't know how to do that, you probably shouldn't be using them.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if either this boot image, the tutorial, or the files attached murders you violently, in fact, don't even use them.
    I got fed up with the T-Mobile ROM and no update stuff, so I flashed the 3.0.1 EU version yesterday. Worked like a charm and got the two OTA updates and I am running 3.1 now.

Next step for me was to root the devices, in order to accomplish that, I used the files Paul O'Brien (MoDaCo) has used in his australian 3.1 update ( http://android.modaco.com/topic/344...ra-h63-25-5-based-including-baseband-updater/ )

Here is a repack with only the needed files for root: http://ul.to/nxc83ldo

I am asuming you already are unlocked, you can get root with:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot reboot
    adb remount
    adb push su /system/bin
    adb shell
    ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    exit
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
    adb push bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules
    adb reboot
    Rooted boot image for MZ601 Android 3.2 and su binary now in OP.
    @jim_panse: I'm at work, but I can be if it's brief.

@starchildx: You can use the standard American Wifi root for the Euro Wifi cause it's the same device.
    Does this method apply to MZ601 on ICS?

Code:
    if(XOOM 3G Euro == MZ601 && 3.2 == ICS)
    {
          return true;
    }