• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE][15th Feb][4Noobs] Guide to MultiBooting JellyBean, ICS and GB

Do you want a video version of this guide?

• Yes

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
UkL3HSQ.png

Updated: 20th Feb 2013

Requirements
  • Xperia Play with Unlocked Bootloader
  • CosmicDan's JB, ICS and GB Multiboot Kernel Flashed installed on your Xperia Play (link)
  • A Compatible Xperia Play ROM
If you do not know how to flash a kernel on to a Xperia 2011 device please check the Xperia Play FAQ

ROM Compatibilty

The kernel has been tested and working on the following ROM's
Please report if it works or not for other Jellybean/ICS-AOSP ROM's in the Multiboot Kernel thread.

Accessing the "Turbo Boot Menu"
Press volume down at the boot logo during boot.​

The "Turbo Boot Menu" Interface
The "Boot menu" consists of 6 touchscreen options.
  • "First/Internal slot"
  • "Second slot"
  • "Third slot"
  • "Fourth slot"
  • "Settings and tools"
  • "About"
Below you will find more information about each option.​

Slot Menu
Each Slot contains the follow options.

"Boot" Option
This simply boots the selected slot.​

"TWRP/CWM Recovery" Option
This loads TWRP Recovery a touch version of Clockwork Mod Recovery (CWM).

If CWM is set as the recovery the option will be called "CWM Recovery" and it will load CWM instead of TWRP.​

"Change Slot Mode" Option
This allows you to change which mode the ROM should be set as. It Currently supports JB-AOSP, ICS-AOSP, ICS-Stock and GB-Stock.

Simply select the option that matches your ROM.​

"Tweaks and Mods" Option
This option has various tweaks such as "Install/Remove TSDX" (Better alternative to Link2SD) , "Restore/Set random entropy device" , "Enable/Disable Deasec v2" , "Change USB to MTP/UMS" (Switches between USB Storage mode) and finally "Disable/Enable ALS" (Disables Automatic Light Sensor)​

"Settings and Tools" Menu
This menu is useful for tweaking and maintaining the "Turbo Boot Menu" it contains 5 options.

"Default Slot" Option
This option allows you to set which slot will be booted by default, You can select from any of the 4 slots.​

"Recovery Selection" Option
Allows you to switch between TWRP *(Team Win Recovery Project???)*and CWM (Clock Work Mod Recovery). The chosen recovery can then be loaded via the "Recovery" option in the chosen slot menu.​

"Repair" Option
Allows you to repair various issues that may have occured with the SD Card and the slots including
  • Fix Permissions
  • Scan and repair FAT32
  • Scan and repair sd-ext
  • Scan and repair system
  • scan and repair userdata
For each slot, It has a "Custom" and "Full" option.​

"Customize" Option
Simply allows you to change the icon for each slot based on a preset list of images.​

"Delete" Option
This allows you to delete "Slots" from the SD Card. This will obviously remove the ROM and free up space on your SD Card.​

"About" Menu
Information and Credits. same as any other application.​

Installing your ROM to First/Internal Slot
The "First/Internal Slot" is the same as any "Non Multiboot" kernel, the system is stored on the NAND Flash not the SD Card. The first ROM Should be installed to this slot.
  1. Download the ROM you would like to use
  2. Copy it to your SD Card via USB or any other method
  3. Reboot phone
  4. Press "Volume Down" at the "SONY/Turbo" logo when the Blue LED lights up
  5. You will now be at the "Turbo Boot Menu"
  6. Select "First/Internal slot"
  7. Now select "TWRP Recovery"
  8. Touch "Wipe"
  9. Touch "Factory Reset"
  10. Slide "Swipe to Wipe" at the bottom (WILL FORMAT YOUR system, userdata and cache)
  11. Press hardware "Back" button
  12. Touch "Install"
  13. Select {Your ROM Zip File} (I used "Slim-3.1.0--20130202-2346-UNOFFICIAL.zip")
  14. Slide "Swipe to Confirm Flash"
  15. Touch "Reboot System"
  16. Phone will reboot and load the "First/Internal Slot" ROM (Can be slow first time loading)

Installing your ROM to Second/Third/Fourth Slot

The "Second Slot" is a Multiboot Feature, It allows you to install a additional ROM to the SD Card in a folder called "Turbo". It may be slower than running from internal depending on your SD Card. It is recommended to install your most used ROM to "First/Internal slot". This method requires the ROM to be "Multiboot-Aware" otherwise it will overwrite the internal system/data. Scroll down to find the "How to make your ROM Multiboot Aware" section.
  3. Reboot phone
  6. Touch "Second/Third/Fourth Slot"
  7. Touch the option that matches your ROM (JB-AOSP, ICS-AOSP, ICS-Stock, GB-Stock)
  8. Select "Blank" under system and "Blank" under userdata
  9. Touch "Next"
  10. Choose your System and Userdata sizes. (I chose 420MB System and 320MB for Userdata)
  11. Touch "Next"
  12. Read whats on screen and confirm by touching "Next"
  13. Make a cup of tea while waiting for TBM (Turbo Boot Menu) to create the image.
  14. When generation is done touch "Reboot"
  15. Boot in to TBN (Volume Down)
  16. Touch "Second/Third/Fourth Slot" (Same as before)
  17. Touch "TWRP Recovery"
  18. Touch "Wipe"
  19. Touch "Factory Reset"
  20. Slide "Swipe to Wipe" at the bottom (WILL FORMAT YOUR system, userdata and cache)
  21. Press hardware "Back" button
  22. Touch "Install"
  23. Select {Your ROM Zip File} (Make sure its Multiboot-Aware)
  24. Slide "Swipe to Confirm Flash"
  25. Touch "Reboot System"
  26. Boot in to TBN (Volume Down)
  27. Touch "Second/Third/Fourth Slot" (Same as before)
  28. Touch "Boot"
  29. Optional: Set it as default by going to TBN > "Settings and Tools" > "Default Slot".
  30. Optional: Repeat for Third and Fourth Slot.

Copying Internal to SD Card
  1. Follow Steps in the "Installing your ROM to First/Internal Slot" Section.
  2. Touch a Blank Slot (Read the "Delete" option section below to delete old slots)
  3. Touch the option that matches your ROM (JB-AOSP, ICS-AOSP, ICS-Stock, GB-Stock)
  4. Select "Copy from internal" under "system" and "Copy from internal" under "Userdata"
  5. Touch "Next"
  6. Choose your System and Userdata sizes. (I chose 420MB System and 320MB for Userdata)
  7. Touch "Next"
  8. Read whats on screen and confirm by touching "Next"
  9. Make a cup of tea while waiting for TBM (Turbo Boot Menu) to create the image.
  10. When generation is done touch "Reboot"
  11. Your ROM is now on your SD Card in your chosen "Slot"
  12. Boot in to TBN (Volume Down)
  13. Touch "Second/Third/Fourth Slot" (Same as before)
  14. Touch "Boot"
  15. Optional: Set it as default by going to TBN > "Settings and Tools" > "Default Slot".
  16. Optional: Repeat for Third and Fourth Slot.

Making a ROM "Multiboot Aware"
  1. Download the non "multiboot aware" ROM
  2. Extract the ROM Zip to any folder
  3. Browse to "[FOLDER]\META-INF\com\google\android" and open the "updater-script" in a text editor (notepad is not recommended)
  4. Follow the steps*explained here
Hope this helps. Massive thanks to CosmicDan from XDA-Developers for making this all possible!

Click thanks to me and CosmicDan if this helped. Visit my site to support me :) http://cyanlabs.co.uk

Last edited:

Lordomn

Sep 15, 2012
somewhere in arkansas
Got to say dude your guide is very detailed. Helps me understand the process a little better.

but I've got a ?... when you want to boot one of your other roms... do you just boot into one of your other slots that has ced rom & reboot?

Sent from my R800x

Last edited:

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Got to say dude your guide is very detailed. Helps me understand the process a little better.

Sent from my R800x
Great glad to hear it, i haven't contributed to XDA in a while and since i am recognized contributor i thought i should continue to "contribute" took me a few hours to write this so it really helps to hear people say thanks

Lordomn

Sep 15, 2012
somewhere in arkansas
I've read some of your other guides but as I'm on CDMA they really don't pertain to me... but I do appreciate the time you take to try to make it easier to understand the xplay & what can be accomplished with a little patience.

Sent from my R800x

Reactions: Naro365

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
I've read some of your other guides but as I'm on CDMA they really don't pertain to me... but I do appreciate the time you take to try to make it easier to understand the xplay & what can be accomplished with a little patience.

Sent from my R800x
Hi if you have any tips on how i can make them better or make them also suitable for CDMA please PM me or reply below :)

Thanks.

cyrusalmighty

May 30, 2009
Hartford
Nice work on explaining it so clearly. Nice website also. Im sure many more people will give multiboot a shot without fear of problems they may run into. And the more users means the more feedback which is helpful for development (as long as feedback is helpful:p). Thanks for another guide.

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

Reactions: Naro365 and fma965

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Will update tutorial soon with documentation on the new features of r6 :)

Sorry late will update it today / tommorow aslong as nothing pops up

Thanks a lot for this. Thanks to you, I'm booting 3 ROMs at once or else, even with a multiboot kernel, I wont be able to do anything, Recognized Contributors gogogogo!!!!

No Problem glad it helped :) ofcourse massive thanks to cosmicdan aswell

Reactions: 1c3_5n0w

UndisputedGuy

Dec 13, 2011
Thanks for your guide. If I already have a custom ROM installed, where should I be looking?

Sent from my R800i using xda app-developers app

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Guide updated with

*New customization section"
"Fix Wifi Section"
"Will add more when more is avaliable :)"
"Also added statement saying this only works on JB Roms"

Last edited:

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Sorry, i meant that if i already am on a custom ROM, do i still need to follow the whole tutorial?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app
if you read the tutorial you would know this, no you do not but please read the tutorial and if you still don't understand then read it again, and if you still don't understand feel free to ask me/

thanks

Reactions: UndisputedGuy

blackbox92

Apr 8, 2012
i already install my first rom jellyzeus,
and for the second rom i fail, i fail at creating the second slot, it said wait for 10min otherwise plug out ur battery and restart, i do it again and it fail.
i m using turbo kernel v12,

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
i already install my first rom jellyzeus,
and for the second rom i fail, i fail at creating the second slot, it said wait for 10min otherwise plug out ur battery and restart, i do it again and it fail.
i m using turbo kernel v12,
do you have enough space on your sdcard? around 1gb is needed? try waiting longer

May be best to ask cosmicdan in his kernel thread as could be a technical issue,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UkL3HSQ.png

Updated: 20th Feb 2013

Requirements
    • Xperia Play with Unlocked Bootloader
    • CosmicDan's JB, ICS and GB Multiboot Kernel Flashed installed on your Xperia Play (link)
    • A Compatible Xperia Play ROM
    If you do not know how to flash a kernel on to a Xperia 2011 device please check the Xperia Play FAQ

ROM Compatibilty

The kernel has been tested and working on the following ROM's
    Please report if it works or not for other Jellybean/ICS-AOSP ROM's in the Multiboot Kernel thread.

Accessing the "Turbo Boot Menu"
    Press volume down at the boot logo during boot.​

The "Turbo Boot Menu" Interface
    The "Boot menu" consists of 6 touchscreen options.
    • "First/Internal slot"
    • "Second slot"
    • "Third slot"
    • "Fourth slot"
    • "Settings and tools"
    • "About"
    Below you will find more information about each option.​

Slot Menu
    Each Slot contains the follow options.

"Boot" Option
    This simply boots the selected slot.​

"TWRP/CWM Recovery" Option
    This loads TWRP Recovery a touch version of Clockwork Mod Recovery (CWM).

If CWM is set as the recovery the option will be called "CWM Recovery" and it will load CWM instead of TWRP.​

"Change Slot Mode" Option
    This allows you to change which mode the ROM should be set as. It Currently supports JB-AOSP, ICS-AOSP, ICS-Stock and GB-Stock.

Simply select the option that matches your ROM.​

"Tweaks and Mods" Option
    This option has various tweaks such as "Install/Remove TSDX" (Better alternative to Link2SD) , "Restore/Set random entropy device" , "Enable/Disable Deasec v2" , "Change USB to MTP/UMS" (Switches between USB Storage mode) and finally "Disable/Enable ALS" (Disables Automatic Light Sensor)​

"Settings and Tools" Menu
    This menu is useful for tweaking and maintaining the "Turbo Boot Menu" it contains 5 options.

"Default Slot" Option
    This option allows you to set which slot will be booted by default, You can select from any of the 4 slots.​

"Recovery Selection" Option
    Allows you to switch between TWRP *(Team Win Recovery Project???)*and CWM (Clock Work Mod Recovery). The chosen recovery can then be loaded via the "Recovery" option in the chosen slot menu.​

"Repair" Option
    Allows you to repair various issues that may have occured with the SD Card and the slots including
    • Fix Permissions
    • Scan and repair FAT32
    • Scan and repair sd-ext
    • Scan and repair system
    • scan and repair userdata
    For each slot, It has a "Custom" and "Full" option.​

"Customize" Option
    Simply allows you to change the icon for each slot based on a preset list of images.​

"Delete" Option
    This allows you to delete "Slots" from the SD Card. This will obviously remove the ROM and free up space on your SD Card.​

"About" Menu
    Information and Credits. same as any other application.​

Installing your ROM to First/Internal Slot
    The "First/Internal Slot" is the same as any "Non Multiboot" kernel, the system is stored on the NAND Flash not the SD Card. The first ROM Should be installed to this slot.
    3. Reboot phone
    6. Select "First/Internal slot"
    7. Now select "TWRP Recovery"
    8. Touch "Wipe"
    9. Touch "Factory Reset"
    10. Slide "Swipe to Wipe" at the bottom (WILL FORMAT YOUR system, userdata and cache)
    11. Press hardware "Back" button
    12. Touch "Install"
    13. Select {Your ROM Zip File} (I used "Slim-3.1.0--20130202-2346-UNOFFICIAL.zip")
    14. Slide "Swipe to Confirm Flash"
    15. Touch "Reboot System"
    16. Phone will reboot and load the "First/Internal Slot" ROM (Can be slow first time loading)

Installing your ROM to Second/Third/Fourth Slot

The "Second Slot" is a Multiboot Feature, It allows you to install a additional ROM to the SD Card in a folder called "Turbo". It may be slower than running from internal depending on your SD Card. It is recommended to install your most used ROM to "First/Internal slot". This method requires the ROM to be "Multiboot-Aware" otherwise it will overwrite the internal system/data. Scroll down to find the "How to make your ROM Multiboot Aware" section.
    3. Reboot phone
    6. Touch "Second/Third/Fourth Slot"
    7. Touch the option that matches your ROM (JB-AOSP, ICS-AOSP, ICS-Stock, GB-Stock)
    8. Select "Blank" under system and "Blank" under userdata
    9. Touch "Next"
    10. Choose your System and Userdata sizes. (I chose 420MB System and 320MB for Userdata)
    11. Touch "Next"
    12. Read whats on screen and confirm by touching "Next"
    13. Make a cup of tea while waiting for TBM (Turbo Boot Menu) to create the image.
    14. When generation is done touch "Reboot"
    15. Boot in to TBN (Volume Down)
    16. Touch "Second/Third/Fourth Slot" (Same as before)
    17. Touch "TWRP Recovery"
    18. Touch "Wipe"
    19. Touch "Factory Reset"
    20. Slide "Swipe to Wipe" at the bottom (WILL FORMAT YOUR system, userdata and cache)
    21. Press hardware "Back" button
    22. Touch "Install"
    23. Select {Your ROM Zip File} (Make sure its Multiboot-Aware)
    24. Slide "Swipe to Confirm Flash"
    25. Touch "Reboot System"
    26. Boot in to TBN (Volume Down)
    27. Touch "Second/Third/Fourth Slot" (Same as before)
    28. Touch "Boot"
    29. Optional: Set it as default by going to TBN > "Settings and Tools" > "Default Slot".
    30. Optional: Repeat for Third and Fourth Slot.

Copying Internal to SD Card
    1. Follow Steps in the "Installing your ROM to First/Internal Slot" Section.
    2. Touch a Blank Slot (Read the "Delete" option section below to delete old slots)
    3. Touch the option that matches your ROM (JB-AOSP, ICS-AOSP, ICS-Stock, GB-Stock)
    4. Select "Copy from internal" under "system" and "Copy from internal" under "Userdata"
    5. Touch "Next"
    6. Choose your System and Userdata sizes. (I chose 420MB System and 320MB for Userdata)
    7. Touch "Next"
    8. Read whats on screen and confirm by touching "Next"
    9. Make a cup of tea while waiting for TBM (Turbo Boot Menu) to create the image.
    10. When generation is done touch "Reboot"
    11. Your ROM is now on your SD Card in your chosen "Slot"
    12. Boot in to TBN (Volume Down)
    13. Touch "Second/Third/Fourth Slot" (Same as before)
    14. Touch "Boot"
    15. Optional: Set it as default by going to TBN > "Settings and Tools" > "Default Slot".
    16. Optional: Repeat for Third and Fourth Slot.

Making a ROM "Multiboot Aware"
    1. Download the non "multiboot aware" ROM
    2. Extract the ROM Zip to any folder
    3. Browse to "[FOLDER]\META-INF\com\google\android" and open the "updater-script" in a text editor (notepad is not recommended)
    4. Follow the steps*explained here
    Hope this helps. Massive thanks to CosmicDan from XDA-Developers for making this all possible!

Click thanks to me and CosmicDan if this helped. Visit my site to support me :) http://cyanlabs.co.uk

Sent from my R800x
    Great glad to hear it, i haven't contributed to XDA in a while and since i am recognized contributor i thought i should continue to "contribute" took me a few hours to write this so it really helps to hear people say thanks

Sent from my R800x
    Hi if you have any tips on how i can make them better or make them also suitable for CDMA please PM me or reply below :)

Thanks.
    Now i can used 3rom instead, tq mates, cheer
    But is it possible that i want the 3 of my rom running the same app like the internal rom?

Sent from my R800i using xda app-developers app
    great,
    1. use link2sd with a second partition on your sd card :) preferably ext2 or 3 or 4
    2. set it up on one rom (install it and create mount script
    3. on the other rom install link2sd again and again create mount scripts
    4. reboot
    5. select relink application data :) from link2sd
    Nice work on explaining it so clearly. Nice website also. Im sure many more people will give multiboot a shot without fear of problems they may run into. And the more users means the more feedback which is helpful for development (as long as feedback is helpful:p). Thanks for another guide.

Sent from my R800i using xda premium