Guide: (17-06-09) Flash Global/China ROM, Root, gapps, Xposed, TWRP + Nougat

Search This thread

underlines

Aug 26, 2011
Bangkok
WARNING: The MIX is still my device, but it runs so stable on Epic ROM Nougat + Xposed Nougat, that I don't need to tinker with it anymore, so I don't have the time to update this thread.

Some great people made posts about TWRP, root and gapps as well as great discussions for how to install particular ROMs.
I try to compile all informations for newcomers into a guide here.
Feel free to discuss. I will update the first posts to reflect any updates and incorporate all your suggestions if possible.

Table of contents
  • 1.1 Available ROMs
  • 1.2 Available Kernels
  • 1.3 Available Recoveries (TWRP)
  • 2.0 How to start? (Do I have vendor ROM & how to remove vendor ROM)
  • 3.0 How to unlock the bootloader
  • 3.1 How to flash xiaomi.eu unofficial Global, root with SuperSu, TWRP and Xposed framework
  • 3.2 How to flash Xiaomi official Chinese Stable / Global Stable, root with SuperSu, TWRP, google apps and Xposed framework
  • 4.1 MIUI 8 xposed Tweaks
  • 4.2. Disable MIUI battery saver and fix missed/late notifications
  • 4.3. Better camera
  • 4.4. Hide navigation bar
  • 4.5. Change DPI
  • 5. Changelog

1.1 Available ROMs

1.2 Available Kernels

1.3 Available Recoveries (TWRP)

2.0 How to start? (Do I have vendor ROM & how to remove vendor ROM)

First, check if you have a vendor ROM, which is bad. Security issues, malware and no updates are just three reasons to move away from a vendor ROM.
How to check, if you have a vendor ROM:
  1. Go to Settings > About phone
  2. Check MIUI version
If any of the following conditions are true, you have a vendor ROM:
  • If it says "global" and after one month there is no update available in the updater app
  • If it says "global" and the version number has not the format: V8.0.4.0 LHOCNDG, (the numbers can vary, and the letters in the end can vary). Vendor ROMs often have one additional number, in total 5 numbers, which then is a vendor ROM
  • If it says "developer" or "beta" and after one week there is no update available in the updater app
Additionally you can read this very good article, on how to spot Vendor ROMs: http://miui.my/miui-identify-rom/

To get away from the Vendor ROM, you can either Unlock and flash another ROM (see 3.0), or you flash the official Global Stable ROM which can be flashed without unlocking the bootloader. (See 3.2 and ignore the requirement for the unlocked bootloader)

3.0 How to unlock the bootloader

1. Create Xiaomi Account, if you don't have one
  2. Start the phone, login with Xiaomi account
  3. Apply for bootloader unlock, and wait for the confirmation SMS to enter
  4. On the unlock page, download the unlocker app and install it
  5. After your request for unlock has been granted (waiting time usually a few hours to a few days), open the unlock app to unlock the bootloader

3.1 How to flash xiaomi.eu unofficial Global, root with SuperSu, TWRP and Xposed framework

Download:
  1. You need to be on an unlocked bootloader, see 2.0
  2. Boot your phone into fastboot mode (Turn off phone, then press Power button + Volume Down button at the same time)
  3. Connect your phone to your computer, make sure you have minimal fastboot and adb installed and open it via start menu -> Minimal fastboot and adb. A console window appears
  4. type
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery [COLOR="Blue"]C:\path\to\your\[/COLOR]twrp-3.0.2-0-rc2-eu-lithium.img
    change the colored path to the correct path to your twrp file (not the EU one) and press enter
  5. type
    Code:
    fastboot boot [COLOR="Blue"]C:\path\to\your\[/COLOR]twrp-3.0.2-0-rc2-eu-lithium.img
    change the colored path to the correct path to your twrp file and press enter
  6. the device should boot into TWRP
  7. copy the latest xiaomi.eu rom zip to your device (which you can see in your computer's explorer as a device)
  8. in TWRP install the xiaomi.eu rom zip
  9. copy the SR5-SuperSU-v2.78-SR5-20161130091551.zip to your device and install it too, if you don't want Root, ignore this step but install no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.0.zip in TWRP and don't continue the steps below
  10. copy xposed-v87-sdk23-arm64-MIUI-edition-by-SolarWarez-20161126.zip to your phone and install it in TWRP
  11. boot your phone up, copy XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4_3.apk to your phone and install it

3.2 How to flash Xiaomi official Chinese Stable or Global Stable, root with SuperSu, TWRP, google apps and Xposed framework

Download:
  1. You need to be on an unlocked bootloader (see 3.0)
  2. Download and unpack Fastboot China Stable ROM or Global Stable ROM
  3. Download and install Mi Flash 2016.08.30.0
  4. Paste full path to unpacked Fastboot ROM into the text box of Mi Flash
  5. Select "clean all" at the bottom of Mi Flash explicitly (even if it's already selected)
  6. Click flash
  7. Boot up phone, enter Xiaomi account, copy TWRP, SR5-SuperSU-v2.78-SR5-20161130091551.zip, open_gapps-arm64-6.0-nano-20161130.zip and xposed-v87-sdk23-arm64-MIUI-edition-by-SolarWarez-20161126.zip to phone
  8. Flash TWRP with fastboot
  9. Install SuperSu in TWRP, if you don't want Root, ignore this step but install no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.0.zip in TWRP
  10. Install gapps in TWRP
  11. Install Xposed in TWRP, if you don't want xposed, ignore this step
  12. Boot system
  13. Login to your Google account
  14. Install XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4_3.apk, ignore this step if you don't want root and xposed

4.1 MIUI 8 xposed Tweaks

If you installed Xposed framework, there are 3 tools you can choose from, to tweak MIUI 8:

xMIUI by solarwarez

MIUI 8 Tweaks by hartec

exMIUI by Ty3uK

Some features of them:
  • change miui launcher row/column count
  • change icon size
  • use AOSP notification icons
  • allow widgets on lockscreen
  • center clock & signal bar on the left (like iOS)
  • hide battery icon, only show percentage
  • etc.

4.2 Disable MIUI battery saver and fix missed/late notifications

• Settings > Battery & performance > Manage apps' battery usage > Off
  • Settings > Battery & performance > Power > Battery saver > Battery saver toggle off
  • Settings > Notifications & status bar > App notifications > select apps that can show floating notifications and notifications on lockscreen
  • Security > Permissions > Auto start > select apps that should get notifications after reboot
  • Security > Settings icon > Cleaner settings > Clean automatically > turn off / Update automatically > turn off

4.3 Better camera

The stock camera suffers from repeated auto focus while recording video, as well as strong image post-processing. The stock camera automatically changes to high ISO mode, on low light, which is leading to noise in the image.
An often suggested alternative to the stock camera app is Snap Camera.

4.4 Hide navigation bar

Settings > Additional settings > Buttons
Check:
  • Screen buttons can be hidden
  • Automatically disable navigation buttons

4.5 Change DPI

Changing the DPI on the Mi Mix on MIUI 8 without corrupting the Icons or having problems?
Confirmed resolutions:

• MIUI default 440
  • Safe 370
  • Native resolution of the display 360.66
  • Lowest confirmed working 320

If you are rooted, simply install a build.props editor from Google Play and change the value of
Code:
persist.miui.density_v2 = xxx
to any DPI for xxx, and then reboot your device.
Remember to keep a copy of your original build.props file, in case anything goes wrong! If you're in a boot loop, just use the file manager in TWRP to copy your backed up build.props file over the modified one.

There may be problems with the MIUI weather app icon and MIUI calendar icon, which will be both invisible in the MIUI launcher depending on the DPI.

5. Changelog

2017-06-09
  • Added DragonXia Kernel (Linage OS / AOSP)
  • Added Linage OS official ROM
  • Added Resurrection Remix official ROM

2017-05-12
  • Added EpicROM Nougat 7.0 base
  • Added more TWRP recoveries

2017-03-20
  • Added Both Epic ROM links for pro & global
  • Added new section "2.0 How to start? (Do I have vendor ROM & how to remove vendor ROM)"
  • Removded 4G fix (old bug)

2017-03-03
  • Added Xiaomi Official Global Rom
  • Added EpicRom Global Rom

2017-02-14
  • Added Recoveries section
  • Added Kernel section
  • Added TWRP Modified by MrRaines to the TWRP freez fix list (Thanks to @MrRaines)
  • Added Custom Kernel from @pappschlumpf

2017-02-07

2017-01-09
  • Updated link to new Modem file for "fix for no LTE / 4G connection"
  • Added fix for no LTE / 4G connection
  • Added TWRP Smarty by Xelar
  • Added Recovery by chinese forum

2017-01-06
  • Updated link to latest SuperSu beta
  • Added mi-globe ROM
  • Added Epic Rom

2016-12-28
  • Updated link to Chinese Stable Fastboot ROM to the latest
  • Removed unlocking steps from flashing section and made a new section for unlocking bootloader
  • Removed steps involving TWRP RC1 and only added TWRP RC2 EU, since that works with all newer ROMs

Last edited:

scdoyle

Jul 19, 2008
Thanks for the helpful guide and your comments on the other thread. I have a couple of noob follow-up questions. I managed to install TWRP and EU Rom (not root) and all works fine. Moving forward:

1. Can I root anytime now without wiping anything?
2. How do I update to the next version of EU when it is released? Do I just install via TWRP as before and will this erase anything? I don't want to have to re-install and re-setup everything.

I know these are basic questions but the number of guides out there with conflicting advice is overwhelming.

Thanks

underlines

Aug 26, 2011
Bangkok
2. How do I update to the next version of EU when it is released? Do I just install via TWRP as before and will this erase anything? I don't want to have to re-install and re-setup everything.

1. Yes, just flash SuperSu in TWRP without wiping
2. When I was on xiaomi.eu ROM with my Mi Note Pro, I had to download the full xiaomi.eu ROM and flash it in TWRP. No data will be lost.

Reactions: stevm and scdoyle

KOLIOSIS

underlines

Aug 26, 2011
Bangkok
I flashed this & my screen is unresponsive in TWRP.
IDK if anything in the update caused a mismatch, a la Global ROM & EU TWRP.
Also lost root, but the phone is still working otherwise.
Calling it a day, work beckons in a few hours.
If you have any suggestions, I'll check back in later today.

Sent from my lithium using XDA Labs

I flashed the fastboot China Dev ROM through XiaoMiFlash, installed gapps with google installer v2.0 apk and installed/updated google play services from apkmirror.
I want to add root, so I booted to fastboot, opened a console on my computer and typed
fastboot boot C:\twrp.img
to temporarily boot into TWRP.
TWRP touchscreen is unresponsive.
I flashed the original twrp of course (for dev and stable China ROM). The EU-TWRP is for xiaomi.eu ROM and not for Chinese Dev/Stable.

So I don't know what to do

Last edited:

KOLIOSIS

I flashed the fastboot China Dev ROM through XiaoMiFlash, installed gapps with google installer v2.0 apk and installed/updated google play services from apkmirror.
I want to add root, so I booted to fastboot, opened a console on my computer and typed
fastboot boot C:\twrp.img
to temporarily boot into TWRP.
TWRP touchscreen is unresponsive.
I flashed the original twrp of course (for dev and stable China ROM). The EU-TWRP is for xiaomi.eu ROM and not for Chinese Dev/Stable.

So I don't know what to do

I was already on the EU ROM with the corresponding EU TWRP, so, IDK.
Less a solution, I'll check back in the TWRP/root thread, don't wanna hijack the OP's thread/topic.

Sent from my lithium using XDA Labs

riz157

May 23, 2008
London
I'm trying to flash Mi mix V8.0.10.0 on my 4g 128gb mi mix using MiFlash 2016.08.30.0 but get error message "can not found file flash_all_except_storage bat" anyone know what the issue is?
My bootloader is unlocked and i'm the global eu rom

thanks

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Can this file be used to update via phone updater?

thanks

spykat

Dec 11, 2010
Denver
Sorry for the noob question, but I've unlocked my Mix, but when trying to go from the Chinese Stable Rom to The Eu Rom i get a Can't Verify Update, how do I get past this?

adamo86

Mar 5, 2009
I applied for my unlock code is the code generic since they didn't ask what device I had. Just my number name and reason

spykat

Dec 11, 2010
Denver
I applied for my unlock code is the code generic since they didn't ask what device I had. Just my number name and reason

Once they give access to unlock, they will text you a link with which you download an app sign in, put phone in Factbook mode, and then follow the instructions in the app, was pretty painless.

Reactions: adamo86

underlines

Aug 26, 2011
Bangkok
I'm trying to flash Mi mix V8.0.10.0 on my 4g 128gb mi mix using MiFlash 2016.08.30.0 but get error message "can not found file flash_all_except_storage bat" anyone know what the issue is?

thanks

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

thanks

if you get this error, you probably forgot to click this radio button explicitly:
cptr-353.png

Sorry for the noob question, but I've unlocked my Mix, but when trying to go from the Chinese Stable Rom to The Eu Rom i get a Can't Verify Update, how do I get past this?
Do you try to flash the Eu ROM zip through the MiRecovery?
You need to boot into fastboot, then follow the thread to flash the TWRP EU recovery. Then you need to flash the Stable ROM through TWRP EU.

Unlocking is tied to you Xiaomi Account. You can unlock your device, if you logged in with your Xiaomi account onto your device, if your account has unlocking privileges. Because my account had Unlocking privileges since 1 year, I could unlock my phone instantly after logging into my Xiaomi account, without applying for any Unlock code again.

riz157

May 23, 2008
London
if you get this error, you probably forgot to click this radio button explicitly:
View attachment 3958870

You need to boot into fastboot, then follow the thread to flash the TWRP EU recovery. Then you need to flash the Stable ROM through TWRP EU.
This part is confusing, I'm currently on miui v8.0.10.0 stable version. Do i need to be on a different rom? if so where i can i find the fastboot version. Any help on this would be helpful.

Unlocking is tied to you Xiaomi Account. You can unlock your device, if you logged in with your Xiaomi account onto your device, if your account has unlocking privileges. Because my account had Unlocking privileges since 1 year, I could unlock my phone instantly after logging into my Xiaomi account, without applying for any Unlock code again.

This part is confusing, I'm currently on miui v8.0.10.0 stable version. Do i need to be on a different rom? if so where i can i find the fastboot version. Any help on this would be helpful.

underlines

Aug 26, 2011
Bangkok
thanks for instructions

please confirm if you have to wipe after prior to installing rom via twrp?
How to flash Xiaomi unofficial Global, root with SuperSu, TWRP and Xposed framework

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Excellent finaly got root and TWRP, flashed latest version. Much happier thanks for your efforts

Glad it helped.
Could you please edit your post above to remove the full citation of my first post?
It's usually bad practice to citate long posts like mine, just to give a short answer.
Thanks a lot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: The MIX is still my device, but it runs so stable on Epic ROM Nougat + Xposed Nougat, that I don't need to tinker with it anymore, so I don't have the time to update this thread.

Some great people made posts about TWRP, root and gapps as well as great discussions for how to install particular ROMs.
    I try to compile all informations for newcomers into a guide here.
    Feel free to discuss. I will update the first posts to reflect any updates and incorporate all your suggestions if possible.

Table of contents
    • 1.1 Available ROMs
    • 1.2 Available Kernels
    • 1.3 Available Recoveries (TWRP)
    • 2.0 How to start? (Do I have vendor ROM & how to remove vendor ROM)
    • 3.0 How to unlock the bootloader
    • 3.1 How to flash xiaomi.eu unofficial Global, root with SuperSu, TWRP and Xposed framework
    • 3.2 How to flash Xiaomi official Chinese Stable / Global Stable, root with SuperSu, TWRP, google apps and Xposed framework
    • 4.1 MIUI 8 xposed Tweaks
    • 4.2. Disable MIUI battery saver and fix missed/late notifications
    • 4.3. Better camera
    • 4.4. Hide navigation bar
    • 4.5. Change DPI
    • 5. Changelog

1.1 Available ROMs

1.2 Available Kernels

1.3 Available Recoveries (TWRP)

2.0 How to start? (Do I have vendor ROM & how to remove vendor ROM)

First, check if you have a vendor ROM, which is bad. Security issues, malware and no updates are just three reasons to move away from a vendor ROM.
    How to check, if you have a vendor ROM:
    1. Go to Settings > About phone
    2. Check MIUI version
    If any of the following conditions are true, you have a vendor ROM:
    • If it says "global" and after one month there is no update available in the updater app
    • If it says "global" and the version number has not the format: V8.0.4.0 LHOCNDG, (the numbers can vary, and the letters in the end can vary). Vendor ROMs often have one additional number, in total 5 numbers, which then is a vendor ROM
    • If it says "developer" or "beta" and after one week there is no update available in the updater app
    Additionally you can read this very good article, on how to spot Vendor ROMs: http://miui.my/miui-identify-rom/

To get away from the Vendor ROM, you can either Unlock and flash another ROM (see 3.0), or you flash the official Global Stable ROM which can be flashed without unlocking the bootloader. (See 3.2 and ignore the requirement for the unlocked bootloader)

3.0 How to unlock the bootloader

1. Create Xiaomi Account, if you don't have one
    2. Start the phone, login with Xiaomi account
    3. Apply for bootloader unlock, and wait for the confirmation SMS to enter
    4. On the unlock page, download the unlocker app and install it
    5. After your request for unlock has been granted (waiting time usually a few hours to a few days), open the unlock app to unlock the bootloader

3.1 How to flash xiaomi.eu unofficial Global, root with SuperSu, TWRP and Xposed framework

Download:
    1. You need to be on an unlocked bootloader, see 2.0
    2. Boot your phone into fastboot mode (Turn off phone, then press Power button + Volume Down button at the same time)
    3. Connect your phone to your computer, make sure you have minimal fastboot and adb installed and open it via start menu -> Minimal fastboot and adb. A console window appears
    4. type
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery [COLOR="Blue"]C:\path\to\your\[/COLOR]twrp-3.0.2-0-rc2-eu-lithium.img
      change the colored path to the correct path to your twrp file (not the EU one) and press enter
    5. type
      Code:
      fastboot boot [COLOR="Blue"]C:\path\to\your\[/COLOR]twrp-3.0.2-0-rc2-eu-lithium.img
      change the colored path to the correct path to your twrp file and press enter
    6. the device should boot into TWRP
    7. copy the latest xiaomi.eu rom zip to your device (which you can see in your computer's explorer as a device)
    8. in TWRP install the xiaomi.eu rom zip
    9. copy the SR5-SuperSU-v2.78-SR5-20161130091551.zip to your device and install it too, if you don't want Root, ignore this step but install no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.0.zip in TWRP and don't continue the steps below
    10. copy xposed-v87-sdk23-arm64-MIUI-edition-by-SolarWarez-20161126.zip to your phone and install it in TWRP
    11. boot your phone up, copy XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4_3.apk to your phone and install it

3.2 How to flash Xiaomi official Chinese Stable or Global Stable, root with SuperSu, TWRP, google apps and Xposed framework

Download:
    1. You need to be on an unlocked bootloader (see 3.0)
    2. Download and unpack Fastboot China Stable ROM or Global Stable ROM
    3. Download and install Mi Flash 2016.08.30.0
    4. Paste full path to unpacked Fastboot ROM into the text box of Mi Flash
    5. Select "clean all" at the bottom of Mi Flash explicitly (even if it's already selected)
    6. Click flash
    7. Boot up phone, enter Xiaomi account, copy TWRP, SR5-SuperSU-v2.78-SR5-20161130091551.zip, open_gapps-arm64-6.0-nano-20161130.zip and xposed-v87-sdk23-arm64-MIUI-edition-by-SolarWarez-20161126.zip to phone
    8. Flash TWRP with fastboot
    9. Install SuperSu in TWRP, if you don't want Root, ignore this step but install no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.0.zip in TWRP
    10. Install gapps in TWRP
    11. Install Xposed in TWRP, if you don't want xposed, ignore this step
    12. Boot system
    13. Login to your Google account
    14. Install XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4_3.apk, ignore this step if you don't want root and xposed

4.1 MIUI 8 xposed Tweaks

If you installed Xposed framework, there are 3 tools you can choose from, to tweak MIUI 8:

xMIUI by solarwarez

MIUI 8 Tweaks by hartec

exMIUI by Ty3uK

Some features of them:
    • change miui launcher row/column count
    • change icon size
    • use AOSP notification icons
    • allow widgets on lockscreen
    • center clock & signal bar on the left (like iOS)
    • hide battery icon, only show percentage
    • etc.

4.2 Disable MIUI battery saver and fix missed/late notifications

• Settings > Battery & performance > Manage apps' battery usage > Off
    • Settings > Battery & performance > Power > Battery saver > Battery saver toggle off
    • Settings > Notifications & status bar > App notifications > select apps that can show floating notifications and notifications on lockscreen
    • Security > Permissions > Auto start > select apps that should get notifications after reboot
    • Security > Settings icon > Cleaner settings > Clean automatically > turn off / Update automatically > turn off

4.3 Better camera

The stock camera suffers from repeated auto focus while recording video, as well as strong image post-processing. The stock camera automatically changes to high ISO mode, on low light, which is leading to noise in the image.
    An often suggested alternative to the stock camera app is Snap Camera.

4.4 Hide navigation bar

Settings > Additional settings > Buttons
    Check:
    • Screen buttons can be hidden
    • Automatically disable navigation buttons

4.5 Change DPI

Changing the DPI on the Mi Mix on MIUI 8 without corrupting the Icons or having problems?
    Confirmed resolutions:

• MIUI default 440
    • Safe 370
    • Native resolution of the display 360.66
    • Lowest confirmed working 320

If you are rooted, simply install a build.props editor from Google Play and change the value of
    Code:
    persist.miui.density_v2 = xxx
    to any DPI for xxx, and then reboot your device.
    Remember to keep a copy of your original build.props file, in case anything goes wrong! If you're in a boot loop, just use the file manager in TWRP to copy your backed up build.props file over the modified one.

There may be problems with the MIUI weather app icon and MIUI calendar icon, which will be both invisible in the MIUI launcher depending on the DPI.

5. Changelog

2017-06-09
    • Added DragonXia Kernel (Linage OS / AOSP)
    • Added Linage OS official ROM
    • Added Resurrection Remix official ROM

2017-05-12
    • Added EpicROM Nougat 7.0 base
    • Added more TWRP recoveries

2017-03-20
    • Added Both Epic ROM links for pro & global
    • Added new section "2.0 How to start? (Do I have vendor ROM & how to remove vendor ROM)"
    • Removded 4G fix (old bug)

2017-03-03
    • Added Xiaomi Official Global Rom
    • Added EpicRom Global Rom

2017-02-14
    • Added Kernel section
    • Added TWRP Modified by MrRaines to the TWRP freez fix list (Thanks to @MrRaines)

2017-02-07

2017-01-09
    • Updated link to new Modem file for "fix for no LTE / 4G connection"
    • Added fix for no LTE / 4G connection
    • Added TWRP Smarty by Xelar
    • Added Recovery by chinese forum

2017-01-06
    • Updated link to latest SuperSu beta
    • Added mi-globe ROM
    • Added Epic Rom

2016-12-28
    • Updated link to Chinese Stable Fastboot ROM to the latest
    • Removed unlocking steps from flashing section and made a new section for unlocking bootloader
    • Removed steps involving TWRP RC1 and only added TWRP RC2 EU, since that works with all newer ROMs
    Update 2017-02-14
    • Added Kernel section
    • Added TWRP Modified by MrRaines (Thanks to @MrRaines)
    If the TWRP EU RC2 is working flawlessly on Chinese Dev and Stable as well, then I'll update the guides. Makes the whole process much simpler and I can remove some steps.

I really wanna go back to Chinese Dev. I hate the global Theme store and Music app...

Popups / Ads can be disabled with xposed module "RootTools Neo" -> Remove MIUI Ads, or just disable them in the Settings menu of the respective apps.

thanks

thanks

cptr-353.png

1. Yes, just flash SuperSu in TWRP without wiping
    2. When I was on xiaomi.eu ROM with my Mi Note Pro, I had to download the full xiaomi.eu ROM and flash it in TWRP. No data will be lost.