[Guide] Activate Native Video Calling (over LTE), RCS & other features

bblanski

Jan 6, 2008
MN
I have the chat settings on Verizon with stock messaging app running stock firmware and it does absolutely nothing. I also have a a Sprint s20 ultra and the stock messaging app rcs works just like Google Messages. Set up Google Messages on my Verizon phone and it will send chat to my s20 and anyone else who has RCS enabled. I don't know I read somewhere that Verizon uses their own RCS or something. Tired of dealing with it and ready to jump ship. Oh yeah the reason I want stock messages is because of my watch..

Reactions: Fatmonk8

Fatmonk8

Dec 16, 2010
Holmes
I have the chat settings on Verizon with stock messaging app running stock firmware and it does absolutely nothing. I also have a a Sprint s20 ultra and the stock messaging app rcs works just like Google Messages. Set up Google Messages on my Verizon phone and it will send chat to my s20 and anyone else who has RCS enabled. I don't know I read somewhere that Verizon uses their own RCS or something. Tired of dealing with it and ready to jump ship. Oh yeah the reason I want stock messages is because of my watch..
Same, I want stock messages because my watch also, I mean the watch works with Google messages I just hate having it ask me every time to switch to samsung messages every time I open it on the watch. More of a pet peeve then anything.

Reactions: pieces of cake

guammie08

Jan 25, 2021
Followed the guide using alliance shield x to re-enable RCS on my unlocked s20 FE (I couldn't find any other working guides). Was able to get chat back on stock but I noticed it only works for those using samsung messages, messages going to those on google messages were sent as texts or not sent out at all. I didn't receive any of them until I switched back to google messages. ugh, it seems like I have to go back to google messages for now

konoplya

Oct 15, 2010
Ancapistan
Also, might add. IF you were previously using Google messages, then you do this, you probably will have to UNREGISTER from Google Messages for Samsung Messages to pick up RCS.....

https://messages.google.com/disable-chat
RCS features seem to stick whether i register or unregister with google messages. however, either way, in my samsung messages i do have some options missing in the settings like "shared video quality" and "shared image quality" settings, regardless of whether i'm registered or unregistered. not sure if others have the same issue. i'm on unlocked S20 with Tmobile in the US

dalumberjack

May 7, 2010
Have a unlocked Note20 ultra 5G on Verizon with UI 3.0, tried the alliance app with admin privileges & knox; still could not access ims settings even after a reboot.

Have been using Google messages for a while, but lately have not been receiving mms and other random texts. Tried samzubg messages, which lead me here to find out why no rcs.

Hope someone can find another work around.

warriorvibhu

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
Have a unlocked Note20 ultra 5G on Verizon with UI 3.0, tried the alliance app with admin privileges & knox; still could not access ims settings even after a reboot.

Have been using Google messages for a while, but lately have not been receiving mms and other random texts. Tried samzubg messages, which lead me here to find out why no rcs.

Hope someone can find another work around.
Look at this post.
is your settings same as on that post, please read that post and follow and let us know if that works.

bblanski

Jan 6, 2008
MN
Ah! Thank you.
Don't know how I missed that post.

So I was able to switch everything on as shown / instructed in the first post. Now waiting to see if samsung messages prompts me for rcs.
Hope it works but I have tried everything and searched everywhere and nothing works unless I use the stock Verizon firmware, then I get prompted for chat services but it doesn't seem to do anything. I also have a s20 ultra but on Sprint and the stock Samsung messages works just like Google from jibe. So Verizon has jacked it all up..

dalumberjack

May 7, 2010
Hope it works but I have tried everything and searched everywhere and nothing works unless I use the stock Verizon firmware, then I get prompted for chat services but it doesn't seem to do anything. I also have a s20 ultra but on Sprint and the stock Samsung messages works just like Google from jibe. So Verizon has jacked it all up..
So far not working. Cant get RCS through any texting app other than google messages (yes, I unsubscribed from google messages and all other steps first).

I also do not have native video calling. I still only get the option for google duo, even with calling someone else on verzion who has a verzion branded S20 ultra.

So, looks like verizon has us beat on using native features with an unlocked phone.

My question is, if you had a verizon branded phone, paid it off and had verizon unlock it, would you loose access to these features too?

Fatmonk8

Dec 16, 2010
Holmes
So far not working. Cant get RCS through any texting app other than google messages (yes, I unsubscribed from google messages and all other steps first).

I also do not have native video calling. I still only get the option for google duo, even with calling someone else on verzion who has a verzion branded S20 ultra.

So, looks like verizon has us beat on using native features with an unlocked phone.

My question is, if you had a verizon branded phone, paid it off and had verizon unlock it, would you loose access to these features too?
I have an unlocked version bought from Sammy, and I have the same problem with it on Verizon, I don't think it will matter either way if you have them unlocked it or not.

bogarty

Mar 16, 2011
I can confirm this works but any app that can launch activities not sure about that. I tried Nova launcher it doesn't work. Thanks to you I figured it seems that device admin permission is required now to be able to open the IMS settings. Also to anyone who is planning to use Alliance shield x first go to app settings and toggle New App Manager Layout ON. I also took away the device admin permission after switching on Video over LTE and RCS. I am not comfortable with that app having device manager permission and everyone should do the the same unless they absolutely trust the app.
I managed to launch "IMS Settings" from the Samsung stock phone dialer on my Note20 Ultra SM-N986U1 by entering the code "*#77467#". There is only a toggle for RCS under "IMS Service Switch" though, which I switched on. No "MMTEL" or anything else. There is also no "RCS Configuration" on the main page. I'm guessing this is an Android 11 thing right? I really don't want to give my personal info to register with this "Alliance Shield X" app. Not sure I'd even be able to access any more settings in IMS even if I did give the Alliance app admin permission.

SCREENSHOTS:

Screenshot_20210201-013003_IMS Settings.jpg
Screenshot_20210201-013021_IMS Settings.jpg

warriorvibhu

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
I managed to launch "IMS Settings" from the Samsung stock phone dialer on my Note20 Ultra SM-N986U1 by entering the code "*#77467#". There is only a toggle for RCS under "IMS Service Switch" though, which I switched on. No "MMTEL" or anything else. There is also no "RCS Configuration" on the main page. I'm guessing this is an Android 11 thing right? I really don't want to give my personal info to register with this "Alliance Shield X" app. Not sure I'd even be able to access any more settings in IMS even if I did give the Alliance app admin permission.
Hi, you definitely can see more when using aliiancd shield X to open the IMS settings. I had tried this before Alliance shield x but this isn't solving the purpose. I understand your apprehension about personal data. I had too. But that is your decision to make. Also know that this is one time activity you can uninstall the app after the activity till the next update hits your phone or you factory reset.

Reactions: bogarty

mara33

Feb 4, 2021
I've been trying to get this to work with AT&T prepaid, without luck. Alliance Shield is currently down and it seems very sketchy to say the least. Would love alternative work arounds.

Fatmonk8

Dec 16, 2010
Holmes
So new problem, after trying to get RCS on Samsung Messages again. Now I am unable to get RCS on Google Messages. It's been stuck on trying to verify my number for a while and I'm not sure why. So technically I don't have RCS working on either now.

bblanski

Jan 6, 2008
MN
So new problem, after trying to get RCS on Samsung Messages again. Now I am unable to get RCS on Google Messages. It's been stuck on trying to verify my number for a while and I'm not sure why. So technically I don't have RCS working on either now.
That same thing actually happened to me and couldn't reset it for whatever reason. I did find info that after 8 days(I think that is what it was) it should automatically reset. I did not wait because I being impatient and changed my number and it worked right away. So if you are attached to your phone number be patient and see if it works around the 8th day..

Reactions: Fatmonk8

Fatmonk8

Dec 16, 2010
Holmes
That same thing actually happened to me and couldn't reset it for whatever reason. I did find info that after 8 days(I think that is what it was) it should automatically reset. I did not wait because I being impatient and changed my number and it worked right away. So if you are attached to your phone number be patient and see if it works around the 8th day..
Unfortunately it's a work provided number, so changing it is not an option. Guess I'm waiting 8 days..