[Guide] Activate Native Video Calling (over LTE), RCS & other features

Search This thread

mbze430

Feb 28, 2007
Southeast Missouri
I can't get it to work on my Fold3. Matter afact.... I am missing the toggle for Knox. Anyone can help??

UPDATE: rebooted the fold3 and the Know toggle is back, but when I enable it. it just sit there and spins

UPDATE2: force closed the app and tried to enable Knox and now it say failed to validate key.

Last edited:

donatom3

Oct 13, 2007
Costa Mesa, CA
I can't get it to work on my Fold3. Matter afact.... I am missing the toggle for Knox. Anyone can help??

UPDATE: rebooted the fold3 and the Know toggle is back, but when I enable it. it just sit there and spins

UPDATE2: force closed the app and tried to enable Knox and now it say failed to validate key.
I'm getting the exact same on my Fold3
Edit1: I was able to get it working. Had to remove Device admin from alliance x clear data on the app, set it up again and make sure to choose Knox from the initial setup wizard.
I was able to open settings at that point

Last edited:
Reactions: warriorvibhu

warriorvibhu

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
I'm getting the exact same on my Fold3
Edit1: I was able to get it working. Had to remove Device admin from alliance x clear data on the app, set it up again and make sure to choose Knox from the initial setup wizard.
I was able to open settings at that point
Great you got it working, thank you for posting your solution it will help many.

Golden Hammer

Sep 30, 2021
I am having the same issues as j03b0b above. One of my phones on Android 11 has access to video calling, and shows the Chat settings menu. I can make video calls with it, but the RCS functions (read receipts and typing indicators) do not work.

Jun 15, 2015
Hi all, I updated my Galaxy S10 to Android 11 and lost the native video calling feature from the phone app. I followed the second option by installing Alliance shield X, unfortunately it didn't work. Are there any solutions? My device is no brand Italy

clownin72

Feb 5, 2011
Only when the Google phone app would let me access the settings. It showed I had advanced messaging but none of the features actually worked. After that I tried the alliance shield method and it doesn't work for me. I finally gave up trying.

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
Only when the Google phone app would let me access the settings. It showed I had advanced messaging but none of the features actually worked. After that I tried the alliance shield method and it doesn't work for me. I finally gave up trying.
Whats your phone model and carrier? For me Alliance Shield method is working even on one ui 4, android 12. Not sure what is going on with you!

clownin72

Feb 5, 2011
986U1 and att prepaid. I tried the alliance shield method and have activated advanced messaging but have no idea if it's actually working

Last edited:
Anyone know how to get native video calling to provision? 986U1 TMB A12 Beta 3, IMS says enabled, but when you check the network stuff it shows all provisioned EXCEPT video calling. I can switch to video after I make a call, but I can't make a native video call outright -- it wants to use google duo. I tried uninstalling duo and it just won't do video calling at all (unless I switch the call mode AFTER establishing the call in voice mode). See screenshots for how to find the provisioning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211208-180032_Alliance Shield X.png
    Screenshot_20211208-180032_Alliance Shield X.png
    331.8 KB · Views: 323
  • Screenshot_20211208-180107_Alliance Shield X.png
    Screenshot_20211208-180107_Alliance Shield X.png
    369.7 KB · Views: 328
  • Screenshot_20211208-180023_Phone services.png
    Screenshot_20211208-180023_Phone services.png
    349.6 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
Anyone know how to get native video calling to provision? 986U1 TMB A12 Beta 3, IMS says enabled, but when you check the network stuff it shows all provisioned EXCEPT video calling. I can switch to video after I make a call, but I can't make a native video call outright -- it wants to use google duo. I tried uninstalling duo and it just won't do video calling at all (unless I switch the call mode AFTER establishing the call in voice mode). See screenshots for how to find the provisioning.
This i have never been able to activate without flashing a U firmware locked to tmobile if you discover a workaround do let us know, I have the same situation where I can activate video after calling someone.

warriorvibhu

Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
986U1 and att prepaid. I tried the alliance shield method and have activated advanced messaging but have no idea if it's actually working
There are multi factors for it to be working including dependency on person texting with you they should have it working too. You can verify it's activated by opening msg >>3 dots >> settings. If the first option is chat features it's activated. Look at my screenshot below of before and after activation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211209-072108_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20211209-072108_Messages.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 251
  • Screenshot_20211209-072448_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20211209-072448_Messages.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 248

smg117

Jun 22, 2022
Does anyone know how to get rcs working on Samsung messages? I have the chat settings enabled but rcs isn't working. It will work when i go to google messages but it won't work on Samsung messages. I tried the alliance shield method but rcs doesn't actually work. I'm on a S22 Ultra Unlocked with a TMobile sim

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220622-154631_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220622-154631_Messages.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 62

VBabbar

Feb 4, 2021
Hi everyone.

I'm using vodafone on my Note8 (android9). RCS works on google messages but I can't make it work on Samsung messages - even after toggling RCS on and off via IMS, restarting phone and force stopping messages. Is this limited to android 10/One UI 2.0 and above only? Thanks
im in same situation with S8+

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Quick Note before you start this - If you are on stable one UI 3.x / Android 11 or greater, see the bottom of the post to see the workaround. Thanks to @knuschit

Introduction - If you have ever bought a device that comes locked with the carrier you will see there are some carrier baked features missing in unlocked devices. While putting in your sim will change CSC of your device you might still not get all the features. So far i fail to understand why would device makers and Carriers make it so difficult for users. I have scourged through so many forums and found info like these where a t-mobile rep responds saying there is no way those features can be added to non carrier branded device ( Either a blatant lie or the reps are ill informed or both).

My Device - Unlocked SM-N986U1 with tmobile sim - CSC - TMB/TMB/XAA

Problem Statement- I want Video calling over LTE and RCS features.

Solution - Follow the steps carefully and also see the attached screenshots -
    There are other ways of doing this by creating shortcut to ims service settings but i am posting something that most users can easily do.

Quick Pre-Check - Before starting if you have been using RCS on Google Messages you might want to de-register. Follow the process here: https://messages.google.com/disable-chat.
    You can always activate it in case you want to go back to RCS on google messages.
    This will only work if you are on Android 10, or the Beta version of Android 11. Samsung has blocked this on Stable Android 11.

STEPS
    1. Download and install Phone app (By google)
    2. Open the phone App that you just downloaded and make it your default Phone app.
    3. Dial *#*#467#*#*
    4. You will see the settings as in my Screenshot 1
    5. Tap on IMS Service Switch (The first Option)
    In case you cant see the screenshot - Just tap on the first option IMS service Switch, Then make sure MMTEL Switch and RCS Switch is toggled on.
    If you see below RCS Switch there is a section titled MMTEL
    Sub-options of MMTEL are
    VoLTE
    VoLTE-Video
    VoLTE-Call-Composer
    SMS over IP
    Supplementary Services
    Called Dial Third Party Number
    JUST TURN ALL THESE TOGGLES ON

6. See the Screenshot 2 and move all the switches to ON.
    7. Go back to main page and then go to RCS Configuration settings and make sure they are selected to be always on as in Screenshot 3.
    8. I changed back to default phone app after this.
    9. And done you should have the video calling over LTE to fellow T-Mobile users activated now.

I have already made a few calls and tested it and can confirm that this works. This might work for Sprint too.

NOTE THAT - Default video call on contacts is still duo. you have to make a regular voice call to a contact first then you will see the native video call icon.

These settings wont stick after OS/Firmware update via Odin, OTA or Sideload and steps would need to be repeated.

Edit Update -You can See all three screenshots together here.

Let us know how it goes here and if you explored any more settings and i will update this post with due credit.

WORKAROUND: SINCE THE ABOVE METHOD IS NOT WORKING ON ONE UI 3.X / Android 11
    The conventional method doesnt work on Android 11 so use the method below:
    1. Install Alliance Shield X >> Create account and Give necessary permissions
    2. Open Alliance Shield X settings and toggle New App Manager Layout On
    3. Look at this post and follow
    4. See the Screenshot 2 and move all the switches to ON.
    5. Go back to main page and then go to RCS Configuration settings and make sure they are selected to be always on as in Screenshot 3.

I can confirm this works.

ADDITIONAL CONFIRMED INFO FROM USERS / TROUBLESHOOTING

Try the following step in case you had RCS activated on Google Messages and doing the above steps does not get you RCS in the Native SMS App. Thanks @Compusmurf
    Also, might add. IF you were previously using Google messages, then you do this, you probably will have to UNREGISTER from Google Messages for Samsung Messages to pick up RCS.....
    https://messages.google.com/disable-chat
    Confirmed to be working for ATT
    I have U1 on ATT prepaid so I don't have advanced messaging features, tried this method and now I do. Thanks
    Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
    It works for other phones too
    I just followed these steps this morning on an unlocked Samsung A51 and it has worked great!
    I only get unable to start activity. Unlocked on T-Mobile. On Sprint I had native RCS.
    Did you toggle the knox switch? Make sure your settling page of Alliance shield app looks like my screen shot and then when you open the IMS settings it will look like my other screen shot.. Then you have to go to activities tab and select the first from the list and pick open and now you will see the IMS settings.. Just toggle the RCs switches like instructed in first post.
    Guys I Figured It Out!

They didn't remove the ability to access the IMS settings you see in Google Phone, they just changed how to access them. I used an application called Alliance Sheild X. But I'm sure you can use ANY app that can launch app activities.

I don't feel like writing it all out so i made a quick video:

Video

After doing this, i have all my RCS abilities back to normal. I'm on a U1 Snapdragon running Stock ONE UI 3
    This is the kind of stuff that makes me regret buying a Samsung.
    Any luck yet with the shield x replacement?
    According to their discord, SAMSUNG issued them a new license, but haven't cleared their old one.
    That being said, all code to disable apps is being removed because THAT is what breaks the knox TOS.
    OK good news is, it (Alliance Shield X) just got updated on my phone and their Knox license is back and I can confirm that I was able to switch the IMS setting to On.
    @hayabusa1300cc it works now. Try.
    I agree. This Knox license requirement came with their android 11 upgrade earlier it wasn't needed. I don't understand why they f*** with customers for no good reason. We can still get these Video over LTE features and all by flashing U rom via Odin but why the hell should we do that when a few tweaks were letting us enjoy our unlocked phones with carrier features (Carrier which Weare using and paying to) why Samsung had to take it away. This carrier control is fuc**Ed up situation in America and this should go away.
    Agreed. There is no reason for a carrier to make decisions on what you can and cannot use I you bought an unlocked phone straight from Samsung. Like how is it fair That Verizon gets to tell me what I can and cannot use on my own phone that I bought straight from Samsung and not them. And screw Samsung for conforming to them.