[GUIDE] All about unlocking bootloader, TWRP and rooting Redmi Note 8/8T

Username Aron

Sep 23, 2018
São Paulo
hey, so i just unlocked my bootloader (im on miui global 11.0.12) and then installed twrp, however i didnt reboot nor flash the vbmeta patch, i proceeded to install a rom (MIUI Plus) and everything went fine until i tried rebooting my phone, it said "system has been destroyed", thankfully i was able to recover my phone.
Anyway, what i wanted to know is: Was the cause of that error being that i didnt flash vbmeta patch after installing MIUI Plus and formating data?

also, this are the steps i followed to install the rom (i followed a youtube tutorial)

wipe dalvik, system and cache
flash the rom
format data
reboot

jaysongaray

Oct 16, 2013
cucuta
I have problems, I am trying to unlock the bootloader, but my unlock does not recognize it, previously I had an RN7 and I was able to do it, but now with the RN8 I have problems, I have checked by CMD commands like FASTBOOT DEVICES and it shows it, but my unlock does not recognizes it
can someone help me ??
1608740117759.png

sabei

Jul 9, 2020
I have problems, I am trying to unlock the bootloader, but my unlock does not recognize it, previously I had an RN7 and I was able to do it, but now with the RN8 I have problems, I have checked by CMD commands like FASTBOOT DEVICES and it shows it, but my unlock does not recognizes it
can someone help me ??
View attachment 5165875
Have you read back in the thread as this is not uncommon and there are a number of solutions?
When I had a similar issue I found this article which solved the issue for me - YMMV

The bit about find my device worked for me. Hope it helps.

the_weird_aquarian

Nov 13, 2016
Universal DM-Verity and ForceEncrypt disable :
What are the benefits of installing it?
What are the benefits of not installing it?
Thanks
DM-Verity is used to stop getting miui/stock recovery and keep the custom recovery after you flash rom or whatever.

if device is encrypted, when you boot to recovery it'll ask for your lockscreen password/pattern everytime..to remove this ForceEncrypt is used... I don't recommend flashing it because encrypted device is always better..but it's your device do whatever you want.:D

Hi, newbie to phone rooting here.
I unlocked the boot loader and followed the rest of the steps. I'm halted near the end of flashing TWRP.

"fastboot boot recovery.img" produces this error and doesn't reboot into twrp. When I try to manually restart the phone to recovery, it just brings up the default Xiaomi recovery instead of TWRP. What have I done wrong?

Thanks a bunch.
try this once and let me know

first try this command:
Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img
then it should boot into twrp...now flash the recovery.img from twrp itself

hey, so i just unlocked my bootloader (im on miui global 11.0.12) and then installed twrp, however i didnt reboot nor flash the vbmeta patch, i proceeded to install a rom (MIUI Plus) and everything went fine until i tried rebooting my phone, it said "system has been destroyed", thankfully i was able to recover my phone.
Anyway, what i wanted to know is: Was the cause of that error being that i didnt flash vbmeta patch after installing MIUI Plus and formating data?

also, this are the steps i followed to install the rom (i followed a youtube tutorial)

wipe dalvik, system and cache
flash the rom
format data
reboot
flashing vbmeta is only required if system destroyed error occurs... system destroyed error mostly occurs when you clean and wipe everything, then reboot without flashing anything...
like wipe system,data,cache etc etc...and reboot without flashing anything then you'll get system destroyed.

Hi,
I have opened redmi note 8 bootloader, now I want to close it and flash the official Global
Is this possible?
Please help me
Thanks
yes it is possible just make sure to select "clean all" and NOT "clean all and lock" option in mi flash

can someone help me ??
is your device in fastboot mode while connected to pc?? if it's sill not detecting check proper adb and fastboot drivers are installed and also when mi unlock is open, disconnect and reconnect the usb while your phone is still in fastboot mode..try it, might work

jaysongaray

Oct 16, 2013
cucuta
and I found the problem is my laptop has driver problems because one that shows installed does not recognize it, I used my brother's laptop and I was able to unlock the bootloader without problems.
thank you very much .... :)
suddenly if someone has a Gcam that works on LineagOS 17.1 on RN8

Thanks a lot..

azteria2000

Feb 19, 2017
Surabaya
Code:
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns.
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/

A guide to unlock bootloader, flash a custom recovery and root your Redmi Note 8/8T device :

1. UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER :

Backup your data first. Unlocking will erase your data.

- Enable Developer Options in your phone by tapping the "MIUI Version" 7 times in About Phone.
- Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- Enable OEM Unlocking, USB Debugging and USB Debugging (Security Settings) .
- Also add account in Mi Unlock Status (Can be found in Developer Options).
- Install the required ADB and Fastboot drivers in your PC from here.
- Download Mi Unlock to PC from here, and sign in with your Mi Account.
- Shut down your phone manually, and hold volume down key and power button to enter Fastboot mode.
- Connect your phone to PC using USB cable and click "Unlock" in Mi Unlock Tool.
- You will be given a specific time (168 hours usually).
- Wait for the given time. Make sure to use your phone and don't log out of your mi account from the phone or reset your device.
- Once waiting time is over, redo Unlock process.
- Your phone will be unlocked successfully. :)

2. FLASHING TWRP :

- Install the required ADB and Fastboot drivers in your PC if not already in step 1. from here.
- Download TWRP from here.
- Put that TWRP in the ADB and Fastboot installed folder (mostly C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot).
- Rename that recovery(TWRP file) to "recovery" for convenience (optional).
- Click on Start Menu, type cmd
- Right click and select Run as administrator
- Then type:

Code:
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot
- Now Connect your phone to PC With USB Debugging on (keep phone on).
- Type:

Code:
adb devices
and accept the pop up on phone's screen.
- Now reboot your phone to Fastboot mode either manually by shutting down phone and then holding volume down key and power button or by:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
- Once in Fastboot mode type:

Code:
fastboot devices
- Your device ID will be visible on Screen.
- Then type(hit ENTER after each line):

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot boot recovery.img
- Now your phone will boot into TWRP.
OPTIONAL STEPS (Not Recommended): Encryption is always recommended for better security. However if you don't want encryption in your device, follow these steps. Again, not recommended.
- In TWRP go to Wipe and select Format Data(don't go to advanced). Type yes and format data. [This process will format all your data so make sure your data is backed up]
- Go back to TWRP home and Reboot > Recovery.(Don't reboot system or else you will have to repeat whole process again).
- Done :)

3. ROOTING :

- Download Magisk zip to PC from here.
- Download Universal DM-Verity and ForceEncrypt disabler from here. (Only required if you followed optional steps.)
- When in TWRP transfer the file(s) to phone and go to Install.
- Here select Magisk zip file and swipe to flash.
- Then select Universal DM-Verity and ForceEncrypt disabler zip and swipe to flash(Make sure to flash this at last or else phone won't boot). (Only required if you followed optional steps.)
- Reboot system.
- Done. Debloat. Enjoy :)

Links
1. Minimal ADB and Fastboot
2. MI Unlock Tool
3. TWRP
4. Magisk
5. Universal DM-Verity and ForceEncrypt Disabler (OPTIONAL)

If this helped you then hit the Thanks Button. Good Luck. :)
There is no flasing disable vbmeta file???

WahajAyub

Feb 18, 2013
Lahore
I successfully unlocked the bootloader, however, I'm facing issues with keeping the recovery. I tried doing DM-Verity disable script, however, it seems like internal storage isn't being mounted properly it shows folders and files with random names. I tried using the Format Data option and it gave a "operation not permitted" error. Any idea how to deal with this?

I tried running the ForceEncrypt/DM Verity script using ADB sideload but still did not have much luck.

dark_razor

Feb 4, 2015
Hello,
I have a problem with TWRP mode. When the phone boot after the last command I'm waiting more than 10 minutes and the phone didn't boot in TWRP mode. Only start screen with Redmi logo.
Followed all steps from the tuttorial step by step but .
Any suggestions?

Craventoby

Apr 12, 2019
Hello,
I have a problem with TWRP mode. When the phone boot after the last command I'm waiting more than 10 minutes and the phone didn't boot in TWRP mode. Only start screen with Redmi logo.
Any suggestions?
I'm having the same problem. Redmi Note 8, successfully unlocked it with the MIUI Unlock Tool, but on the recovery flashing stage, although the command prompt displays that everything happens successfully, the phone won't boot to TWRP when I tell it to. Would love to know if anyone has a solution!

dark_razor

Feb 4, 2015
Hello,
Any suggestions?
Is it important what kind of Windows use when make the operation of rooting? My Windows is 8.1 32bit.
Also is it important if the Windows is 32 or 64 bit when make root, install ROM and other procedures?

Jarod5001

May 26, 2017
Sfax
I'm stuck at format data, it gives me error "unable to decrypt fbe.. operation not permitted"
After unlocking bootloader I restored my phone, I've set a lock pattern and fingerprint. Should I factory reset the phone?
Miui 12.0.3

Last edited: